#91 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:
    Trying to cope with withdrawal/discontinuation. Have depression and anxiety since my teens.

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:30 PM

Kathy - Keep after the clonidine until you can take it twice a day. If you have to get a prescription for a benzo and/or hydroxyzine. Be agressive and stay determined to defeat the anxiety. You can do this.

Hi fishinghat, I'm into my 5th week of being off Cymbalta and I think it may be getting worse. I take Klonopin and the Clonidine but still have bad anxiety. My stomach has cramps and the muscle aches are horrible. Last week I was barely sleeping and my doctor prescribed Trazodone. I took it last night for the first time and it did help me sleep better but I'm so groggy and maybe it's my imagination but my muscles seem to hurt more. I don't know what to do and I'm so scared.

#92 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:03 PM

Well, first of all 1.7% of the people taking trazadone reporting muscle pain. The grogginess the next day should get better with time. Are you up to 2 clonidine a day yet? Clonidine has a 11 hour half life so it only helps for a few hours and then the anxiety starts coming back. By taking 2 a day your blood levels of clonidine stay higher for the full day. If you are still are on 1 per day contact your dr and explain that it helps but not enough and request a second one be added. He shouldn't have any issue with that as that is the standard protocol. If he is hesitant to do that you might try asking about hydroxyzine. Non-addicive and no withdrawal.  It works for many but not for others. It will also make you sleepy but that usually fades with time.

By the way trazadone is addictive.

Last but most important, the 4 to 6 week are normally the worse. Don't let that spook you. Just a little while longer and you will have breaks in the anxiety.

#93 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:
    Trying to cope with withdrawal/discontinuation. Have depression and anxiety since my teens.

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:35 PM

Well, first of all 1.7% of the people taking trazadone reporting muscle pain. The grogginess the next day should get better with time. Are you up to 2 clonidine a day yet? Clonidine has a 11 hour half life so it only helps for a few hours and then the anxiety starts coming back. By taking 2 a day your blood levels of clonidine stay higher for the full day. If you are still are on 1 per day contact your dr and explain that it helps but not enough and request a second one be added. He shouldn't have any issue with that as that is the standard protocol. If he is hesitant to do that you might try asking about hydroxyzine. Non-addicive and no withdrawal.  It works for many but not for others. It will also make you sleepy but that usually fades with time.

By the way trazadone is addictive.

Last but most important, the 4 to 6 week are normally the worse. Don't let that spook you. Just a little while longer and you will have breaks in the anxiety.

Thanks for getting back to me fishinghat. I just looked up the side effects of Trazadone also (thanks for doing it) and it does say muscle pain can be one of them. Without knowing for sure I would say that's why I'm in more pain than usual.  Well, I don't think I'll be taking it again, and it really did help me sleep. I tried hydroxyzine (Seroquel) and it didn't do much. I need something to help me sleep, I have Ambien but that also isn't helping that we'll. I'll try to see if I can take the Clonidine in the morning for anxiety. I'm so frustrated. I live in a rural area and don't have much choice of doctors. The other day I went to a new doctor for a second opinion, she was over 45 minutes away. She seemed to be a little more open to the fact that Cymbalta withdrawal can be "uncomfortable" and can last for awhile but she was very blah about, like it wasn't a serious problem. My regular doctor said it's rare for it to last more than 2-3 weeks, it's like she doesn't believe me. I just want to feel better and I'm so afraid I won't. This is a living hell.

#94 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:08 PM

Kathy

Good luck on the second Clonidine. Hydroxyzine is not the same as Seroquel. I much prefer hydroxyzine over Seroquel as it can cause a number of bad side effects like gynomastia, constipation. headaches and altered thinking.

#95 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:04 PM

Kathy

Good luck on the second Clonidine. Hydroxyzine is not the same as Seroquel. I much prefer hydroxyzine over Seroquel as it can cause a number of bad side effects like gynomastia, constipation. headaches and altered thinking.

Kathy

My mistake fishinghat, I don't know why I thought hydroxyzine was Seroquel. I'm going to ask about it. I'm so mad at myself,when the PA called I forgot to ask her about taking a second Clonidine, my head is in such a fog. She said she was going to call in a script for Remeron to see if it would help me sleep but when my husband went to pick it up the pharmacy said she never did. It was too late to call the office. I'm p'd off and panicked that I won't sleep. I just wish this would go away.

#96 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:46 AM

Kathy, I know what you mean about the "head in a fog" thing ... when we're trapped in the anxiety logical thinking just isn't going to happen ... that's one of the many reasons I'm so grateful for this forum and my friends here ... when I can't think something through, they walk me through it, step by step ...

First, subject to what FH and our other clonidine users think, my suggestion is to go right ahead and take a second dose of the clonidine ... even if it hasn't been 12 hours since your previous dose ... to be cautious, just split the pill in half and take half the prescribed dose ... that may be enuf to shut the adrenaline switch off, or at least "dim" it down to where you're feeling better ...

Second, if you haven't already done so, call you doc and get the authorization to take the second daily dose of clonidine ...

Third, my bet is that your inability to sleep is due directly to the anxiety .. taking remeron or other stuff puts you to sleep but doesn't fix the underlying issue ... anxiety ... it just masks it, and gets you stuck on another med

My own experience with the clonidine is that because it deals with the anxiety, that helps me to sleep.

As an aside, the thing to remember about clonidine is that its primary, on label, use is for high bp ... so, you do need to monitor your bp ... I check my bp each time before I take any clonidine.

I got one of the bp monitors that wraps around the wrist ... not too expensive, easy to use, and portable (I put it in my shoulder bag/back pack and carry it wherever I go) ...

Please let us know how you're doing and if you got through to your doc about the second dose.

#97 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:26 AM

Hello Kahy,   

I feel for you. Anxiety is like a bear walking by your side. You cannot think of anything else.

I cannot remember at what point you are in this discontuation thing.
I have tried many things for anxiety.

Hydroxizine, did not work on me.
Clonidine sedated me for a few days, then nothing.

Benadryl did help when anxiety was through the roof.
Gravol helped a lot, took it a few times, sedates a lot.

Switched from ativan to Valium, not a big difference.

Still have the anxiety, it has quieted in the last week or so.

Can't remember if you are on a benzo, if so, be sure to take it at regular hours and doses, you would not like to add
Benzo withdrawal to this anxiety.

I've edited this post 4 times, tablet problem. Now on laptop.

What I was trying to say, is that you have to try different things until you get it straight. And that in emergency anxiety, what helped me most was the gravol, 1 tablet and a half.

And at times, you need to learn to live with the low, I said low anxiety. But when the big bear appears, you need to try different methods, even just to mask it a bit  to make the day a bit less painful.

That said, anxiety is the most common side effect of withdrawal with nausea. Mine was worst than before I began the crap. Learning to live with the low part and hope to be some day 90% free, I would like to say 100%, but will settle with the 90%.

Keep up the fight Kathy, and note the moments that you feel better, write them down so you can remember that it is possible to have free moments of this bear walking along your side.

And you can post a Bear hunters, welcome, free room and board! in front of your home!

Just saw your post about your 5 weeks off, that is early and anxiety plays a big part in those early weeks.

#98 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:10 PM

Kathy, I know what you mean about the "head in a fog" thing ... when we're trapped in the anxiety logical thinking just isn't going to happen ... that's one of the many reasons I'm so grateful for this forum and my friends here ... when I can't think something through, they walk me through it, step by step ...

First, subject to what FH and our other clonidine users think, my suggestion is to go right ahead and take a second dose of the clonidine ... even if it hasn't been 12 hours since your previous dose ... to be cautious, just split the pill in half and take half the prescribed dose ... that may be enuf to shut the adrenaline switch off, or at least "dim" it down to where you're feeling better ...

Second, if you haven't already done so, call you doc and get the authorization to take the second daily dose of clonidine ...

Third, my bet is that your inability to sleep is due directly to the anxiety .. taking remeron or other stuff puts you to sleep but doesn't fix the underlying issue ... anxiety ... it just masks it, and gets you stuck on another med

My own experience with the clonidine is that because it deals with the anxiety, that helps me to sleep.

As an aside, the thing to remember about clonidine is that its primary, on label, use is for high bp ... so, you do need to monitor your bp ... I check my bp each time before I take any clonidine.

I got one of the bp monitors that wraps around the wrist ... not too expensive, easy to use, and portable (I put it in my shoulder bag/back pack and carry it wherever I go) ...

Please let us know how you're doing and if you got through to your doc about the second dose.

FiveNotions, This feeling of being in a fog makes me afraid I'm getting Alzheimer's. The anxiety really does make logical thinking almost impossible. When I called my doctor this morning they told me she had an appointment available so I got to see her. She's taking me off Brintellix since it's not helping and because she said it can cause insomnia. I'm glad but I pray that I don't have withdrawal from it or feel worse in any way. She doesn't want to put me on the second Clonidine yet because my bp is low, but she did prescribe hydroxyzine for the anxiety. Hopefully that will help. She's also putting me on a low dose of Prozac to try and ease the withdrawal symptoms. I agree the anxiety is causing me to have trouble sleeping, but it could also be from the Brintellix. I hope I'm doing the right things, this is all so confusing. Thanks so much for caring.

#99 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:28 PM

Hello Kahy,   
I feel for you. Anxiety is like a bear walking by your side. You cannot think of anything else.
I cannot remember at what point you are in this discontuation thing.
I have tried many things for anxiety.
Hydroxizine, did not work on me.
Clonidine sedated me for a few days, then nothing.
Benadryl did help when anxiety was through the roof.
Gravol helped a lot, took it a few times, sedates a lot.
Switched from ativan to Valium, not a big difference.
Still have the anxiety, it has quieted in the last week or so.
Can't remember if you are on a benzo, if so, be sure to take it at regular hours and doses, you would not like to add
Benzo withdrawal to this anxiety.

I've edited this post 4 times, tablet problem. Now on laptop.

What I was trying to say, is that you have to try different things until you get it straight. And that in emergency anxiety, what helped me most was the gravol, 1 tablet and a half.

And at times, you need to learn to live with the low, I said low anxiety. But when the big bear appears, you need to try different methods, even just to mask it a bit  to make the day a bit less painful.

That said, anxiety is the most common side effect of withdrawal with nausea. Mine was worst than before I began the crap. Learning to live with the low part and hope to be some day 90% free, I would like to say 100%, but will settle with the 90%.

Keep up the fight Kathy, and note the moments that you feel better, write them down so you can remember that it is possible to have free moments of this bear walking along your side.

And you can post a Bear hunters, welcome, free room and board! in front of your home!

Just saw your post about your 5 weeks off, that is early and anxiety plays a big part in those early weeks.

Hi Gail, I'm on a tablet also and it can make posting difficult. You're so right, the anxiety just consumes you, it's horrible and so hard to fight it. My doctor prescribed hydroxyzine for me and I hope it works, sorry it didn't help you. I take Clonidine at night and it helps a little, I also take Klonopin but I've been on it a long time and it doesn't work that we'll anymore. What is Gravol, I've never heard of it. Anxiety being like a bear is a good way to describe it, it's ferocious. I wish it would ease up. I've never felt so debilitated in my life. Good idea to write down the moments when things are a little better, though I don't have many of them. It's hard to accept that 5 weeks is early, every moment feels like an eternity. Thanks so much for responding Gail.

#100 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:33 PM

That's pretty good Kathy. If your bp is lower than I understand her waiting until it returns to normal for the second clonidine.  Good luck with the hydroxyzine. How much did she prescribe? I hope she told you to take some before bedtime because it will make you drowsy at first.

What dosage of Prozac did she give you? The Prozac takes 6 to 8 weeks to take full effect but hopefully you will start feeling better soon.

#101 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:06 PM

Kathy, gravol is an over the counter medicine that is given  for nausea.

Maybe there is another name but here in Canada, the name is Gravol. Knocks you out.

I have read somewhere rhat small doses of Prozac can help through withdrawal.

And the one minute thing that seems like an eternity, I know about this.

Trial and error here, and patience is the key, which can be lost but found. Wish you the best.

#102 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:34 PM

Kathy, Gravol is primarily marketed as Dramamine here in the US, and its OTC here as well ... for motion sickness ... I remember taking it years ago when I went on an overnight ferry from Maine to Nova Scotia ... as a "precaution" so I could enjoy the trip, dinner, dancing, even some gambling ... nope, hit me like a brick .. slept through the whole damn trip... :blink:

Stick this out Kathy ... you're getting the meds thing worked out, slow but sure... trying different things and doses ... it's frustrating, time consuming, and yes, it adds to the anxiety ...but once you find what works for you, you'll settle in and settle down ...

Also, granted we're all different, but to give you some encouragement ...5 weeks is just about where I was when I sorta' "turned a corner" ... the first of several "corners"... I checked my notes, and the first 4 weeks were hell ... I was pretty much confined to bed, lying in a pool of sweat, vertigo and zaps so bad I had to crawl on hands and knees to the bathroom ... no solid foods, liquids only, except a few saltine crackers ...vomiting so much at first that I just took my pillow and blanket in there and laid on the floor ...didn't shower for a month or wash my hair ... oh yeah, I was a real glamor girl :P

5th week is when the improvement started .. vertigo had faded, along with the zaps ..I started having a few good hours at a time .. I took a shower and washed my hair ... put fresh sheets on the bed ...and ate some solid food ... I felt like I'd hit the big time ... living in luxury...

and then, BINGO, at the 6th week I started having good days ... by the 8th week I was having several good days in a row.....etc etc...

Point is, DO NOT give up ... battle your way through this ... during the first weeks it's minute by minute ... I assure you, it DOES and WILL get better ... :hug:

#103 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:22 PM

Kathy...no no no...do not think alshiemers...I live with anxiety everyday..and the anxiety withdrawal symptom is; your mind can't totally focus on one thing because you mind is constantly focused on how much you can't stay focused and fear...Once the anxiety lessens you will begin to focus better...best to you...

#104 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:53 PM

Carleeta is right. It takes away your self confidence. Your instincts are telling you it is permanent but it is not. And the insecurity, almost paranoia, doesn't help any. That will all fade away.

#105 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:37 PM

Kathy, it's not Alzheimer's ... folks who have Alzheimer's aren't able to think they have Alzheimer's ...

#106 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:01 PM

Help! I took 25 mgs of hydroxyzine last night and slept better, not as much as I would have liked, but better. I woke up groggy so I didn't take one in the morning. When I got up I took the Wellbutrin and the deceased dose of Brintellix, and the Prozac. After an hour or two the withdrawal symptoms got worse, I don't think I'm imagining it. I have really bad pain all over, my stomach hurts, I'm weak and go from being hot to cold, plus the bad anxiety. I have a feeling that it's the decreased dose of Brintellix, that I'm having withdrawal from that too. I called my doctor but haven't heard back yet. I have a feeling she's going to tell me to go back on the Brintellix but I don't want to. I want all this poison out of me. Anybody have advice. Thanks.

#107 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:07 PM

I think you are right Kathy. I hate to say this but I agree, you need to go back on the Brintellix. Two withdrawals at the same time is not wise. If you are having problems with the Cymbalta withdrawal just think what it would be like to add Brintellix withdrawal. There will be enough time later.

#108 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

I think you are right Kathy. I hate to say this but I agree, you need to go back on the Brintellix. Two withdrawals at the same time is not wise. If you are having problems with the Cymbalta withdrawal just think what it would be like to add Brintellix withdrawal. There will be enough time later.

But Fishinghat, that means that when the withdrawal from Cymbalta subsides that I'll have to go through another whole withdrawal from the Brintellix. Plus I'm afraid that the longer I stay on Brintellix the worse it will be. I can't believe this is happening. Also,is it a good idea to be taking the Prozac, I think that can cause withdrawal.

#109 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:50 PM

You have to realize that you have a long way to go. These drugs literally change the way your brain cells function. It isn't going to be quick or easy. The Prozac will kick in around the 6th week of usage. It should take are of the Cymbalta withdrawal. After you have stabilized a few weeks to give your body a chance to recover from the stress then you will withdraw from the Prozac. Prozac is typically a much easier withdrawal that Cymbalta. That is why the dr put you on Prozac. Once the Prozac withdrawal is over you can turn your attention to the Brintellix.

When I came off Cymbalta I had a terrible time. After three months I finally had to admit defeat and I needed some help. The drs tried 6 medicines before they found one that did the trick. I spent nearly a year coming off the first 5 that didn't even work (one at a time). I am now weaning off the last one. Lorazepam. You  must be patient. Pushing yourself will only increase your anxiety.

#110 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

You have to realize that you have a long way to go. These drugs literally change the way your brain cells function. It isn't going to be quick or easy. The Prozac will kick in around the 6th week of usage. It should take are of the Cymbalta withdrawal. After you have stabilized a few weeks to give your body a chance to recover from the stress then you will withdraw from the Prozac. Prozac is typically a much easier withdrawal that Cymbalta. That is why the dr put you on Prozac. Once the Prozac withdrawal is over you can turn your attention to the Brintellix.

When I came off Cymbalta I had a terrible time. After three months I finally had to admit defeat and I needed some help. The drs tried 6 medicines before they found one that did the trick. I spent nearly a year coming off the first 5 that didn't even work (one at a time). I am now weaning off the last one. Lorazepam. You  must be patient. Pursuing yourself will only increase your anxiety.

Hi Fishinghat, my doctor finally called. She doesn't think that I'm having withdrawal from the Brintellix. She said people can skip a dose for a couple of days without a problem and something about it's half life. She said it's probably from adding the Prozac, my body getting used to a new medicine, but I really didn't understand what she meant. She said to give it a couple days and it should pass. I honestly don't know what the right thing is to do.

#111 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:33 PM

She could be right Kathy. Most ssri like Prozac have side effects that let up after a few days to a couple weeks. Keep an eye on those symptoms and if they get worse let your dr know.

The Brintellix half life is 66 hours. That means that 66 hours after taking a pill exactly 1/2 is gone from your system. That is a long half life, That normally means that stopping the Brintellix would not produce a withdrawal for probably at least 3 days.

#112 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:10 PM

Kathy, I totally agree with Fisinghat, and believe he is the most knowledgeable in the area of medications..  What I do know is ssri's take approximately 3 weeks to fully take effect in one's body.  This is true of an individual who is not coming off Cymbalta, athough.  You will be experiencing the Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms while the Prozac is trying to get into your system and most likely will not feel it's effect as soon as three weeks and at the same time go through Cymbalta withdrawal.  It's a matter of time and each day will be different.  It could be worse and then better, or better then get worse again.  Which ever way this process occurs with you, in time you should feel some relief and then again it will be slight improvement gradually and then better days will come with some bad days.  This in itself should indicate you are getting the Cymbalta out of your system.  Please think about stopping one medication at a time.  It will be much easier on your nervous system.  The good point to this is the Cymbalta seems to have the more intense withdrawals.  Once you go through this withdrawal the other withdrawals should be much much easier to handle. 

I do understand your fear, we all have/had them and you are not alone.  So please keep us posted.

One comment on Alzheimer's or Dementia.  "If you can remember what you forgot" you do not have Alzheimer's or Dementia.

Example:  "I don't remember where I parked my car"  This is not a sign of these diseases because you are remembering what you forgot.  What is a sign of one of these diseases is when you go outside and don't even know what you are doing outside. 

Hope this helps clarify the Alzheimer's/Dementia issue...

Take care Kathy..  

#113 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:41 PM

She could be right Kathy. Most ssri like Prozac have side effects that let up after a few days to a couple weeks. Keep an eye on those symptoms and if they get worse let your dr know.

The Brintellix half life is 66 hours. That means that 66 hours after taking a pill exactly 1/2 is gone from your system. That is a long half life, That normally means that stopping the Brintellix would not produce a withdrawal for probably at least 3 days.

Hi Fishinghat, Thanks so much for your advice. I know that you're not a doctor but I feel that you have a lot of knowledge in this, more than some doctors. I was thinking of not taking the Prozac tomorrow. If it were you would you keep taking it? I just hate putting more medication into my body. I'm going to stay on the decreased dose of Brintellix since it probably wouldn't cause my symptoms to be worse. Thank you again for caring. I saw somewhere on the forum that there's a Dr. Peter Breggin in NY who's supposed to be an expert on withdrawal from these meds. I'm not sure if he's seeing patients. If he is do you think he would be more helpful than a regular pdoc?                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Well I just got up and took the Prozac, so I'll see if it makes me feel worse. I was thinking, is it possible that at 5 1/2 weeks the Cymbalta withdrawal could get worse?

#114 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:00 PM

Kathy, I totally agree with Fisinghat, and believe he is the most knowledgeable in the area of medications..  What I do know is ssri's take approximately 3 weeks to fully take effect in one's body.  This is true of an individual who is not coming off Cymbalta, athough.  You will be experiencing the Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms while the Prozac is trying to get into your system and most likely will not feel it's effect as soon as three weeks and at the same time go through Cymbalta withdrawal.  It's a matter of time and each day will be different.  It could be worse and then better, or better then get worse again.  Which ever way this process occurs with you, in time you should feel some relief and then again it will be slight improvement gradually and then better days will come with some bad days.  This in itself should indicate you are getting the Cymbalta out of your system.  Please think about stopping one medication at a time.  It will be much easier on your nervous system.  The good point to this is the Cymbalta seems to have the more intense withdrawals.  Once you go through this withdrawal the other withdrawals should be much much easier to handle. 

I do understand your fear, we all have/had them and you are not alone.  So please keep us posted.

One comment on Alzheimer's or Dementia.  "If you can remember what you forgot" you do not have Alzheimer's or Dementia.

Example:  "I don't remember where I parked my car"  This is not a sign of these diseases because you are remembering what you forgot.  What is a sign of one of these diseases is when you go outside and don't even know what you are doing outside. 

Hope this helps clarify the Alzheimer's/Dementia issue...

Take care Kathy..

Hi Carleeta,Fishinghat is very knowledgeable about the meds.I hate to take the Prozac but if it helps with the Cymbalta withdrawal maybe it's worth it. I don't know what the right thing to do about the Brintellix is. Fishinghat said lowering the dosage shouldn't cause any symptoms for a few days and my doctor said it's unlikely that I'll have withdrawal from it. I've never had problems coming off meds before so I think I'm going to stay on the lowered dose. It's so hard to know what to do. It helps so much to have this forum and know that I'm not alone. Thanks for clarifying the Alzheimer's/ Dementia issue. While I don't think that I have one or the other I just have this fear that these meds could cause them. Thanks Carleeta, you take care too.

#115 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:07 AM

Kathy

It is definitely possible at 5 1/2 weeks off Cymbalta the symptoms get worse. That third to 6th or 7th week are the hardest ones. The choice on keeping taking the prozac is a hard one to advise on. If you knew just how bad and long your cymbalta withdrawal would be then you would have your answer. You are already in the hardest part of the withdrawal.

The good side is that in a few weeks the prozac will kick in and give you some relief. The bad side is at some time you have to come off the prozac but that is easier than Cymbalta. Considering you are going through the worse part of cymbalta withdrawal anyway I would just try to stick it out without the prozac. But there is no way to know how bad it will get or how long it will last. I am sorry but there is no cut and dry answer here. Withdrawals vary from one to another so it is something that you will have to decide for yourself.

I fully agree with Carleeta on the Alz/Dementia issue. During withdrawal one becomes very paranoid about there health. This is typical but don't let it generate more anxiety. Try to keep it in perspective. This will pass.

#116 Amysgarden

Amysgarden

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationUS
  • why_joining:
    Kicking the poison out of my life

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:19 AM

I've been trying to organize my thoughts on the whole withdrawal thing, mostly about the pain and tingling in arms, hands, shoulders, etc. But you all probably know what happened....my brain wandered off, and now I can't remember what I was going to say! :D

Oh right... I had really horrible anxiety-like issues getting off Xanax. I always figured it was a combination of my body trying to compensate for the loss of a med that blocked or dulled the anxiety. The muscle pain, I'm guessing, is also a nerve compensation thing, since Cymbalta has a pain relieving effect.

Definitely do not want to take benzos of any sort again. The withdrawal from Xanax was somewhat different from an SSRI, but I feel more or less the same....raw, edgy, painful. One thing that I noticed about muscle aches that I'm also noticing again is that it feels kind of like my muscles are constantly slightly tensed all the time, and the aching reminds me of the lactic acid overload that happens with marathon-type exertion such as cycling or distance running, only it's happening without having to actually ride a bike for five hours straight. Just an observation. I have no idea if that is what is really going on.

I might go back to carrying lavender oil with me and working on those breathing and stretching exercises. My withdrawal from Xanax took a good 6 months, and I was still on Cymbalta at the time. This time around, I am cold turkey off of all meds. B-stress vitamins, green tea, Epsom salt baths, and massive amounts of veggies was how I got through last time.

#117 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:42 AM

Amy, you might want to try chelated magnesium ... it helps with the muscle aches/pains/spasms/twitching ... I also took lots of hot bath soaks with Epsom salts (another form of magnesium, it crosses the transdermal barrier and thus gets right into the muscles) ...

Another thought is to add omega 3 ... helps with a bunch of stuff, but my cottage cheese brain isn't recalling what just now ... check out our "nutritional support" forum for lots of info on these and other supps and stuff ...

The lavender is a great idea ... some hate the smell of the stuff (most guys definitely don't like it), but I love it ... kept a bottle by my bed and "sniffed it" regularly ... has a very calming effect on me ...

#118 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:13 PM

Amy, how did you come off the Xanax? Did you use water titration?

#119 Cinders

Cinders

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:07 PM

I realized the last 2 days have been better! Yahoo! Perhaps the Prozac (on it for about 4 weeks now) is kicking in while I continue to wean off Cymbalta. The other thing I tried, which seemed to help two days but not so much the third, is taking 1mg lorazepam first thing in the morning, before I get up. I think it was easier to get going those mornings and my GI problems lessened. I just worry that I'm pretty much doubling the benzo dose. Like many folks on this forum, I am anxious about getting hooked on more meds as I try to get off Cymbalta. I just keep telling myself I have to do some things in order to feel better and will withdraw from other meds after I'm off Cymbalta.

This stream of communication has stimulated a new, baroque worry for me: many of you mention weeks of difficulty AFTER stopping Cymbalta. I am down to about 35 mg from 60mg; it has taken months and it's going to take many more months to taper the rest of the way. As I've complained, the process has been my most hideous medical experience EVER and I've been through a lot.
My question for those of you who are off Cymbalta is this: can I expect ongoing withdrawal symptoms even after I've completed tapering to zero beads with Prozac and benzo support?

I've gotten the impression there are ongoing symptoms after fully stopping Cymbalta, for weeks or months. Considering what I'm already experiencing, the thought of this makes me want to cry. Please help me to understand, God-like ones! Am I just prolonging my misery with the slow taper (minus 5 beads per day) if I'm still going to have symptoms for ages when I'm off the drug altogether? Will it be over sooner, but about the same intensity, if I rush the taper off the final 35 mgs, or just go cold turkey from here (keeping the Prozac and benzos for the time being)?

I look forward to y'all's thoughts...

#120 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:27 PM

The Prozac should take care of the Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms after it goes into full effect (6 to 8 weeks). Keep on tapering the Cymbalta, do not rush it as you still have a ways to go on the Prozac before it gets to max. While there are usually months of withdrawal after you come completely off the Crapalta the Prozac should handle that. What dose Prozac did the dr prescribe for you? Hopefully once you stabilize maybe you can stop the lorazepam and go on a softer benzo like valium or Xanax.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users