#1 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:26 PM

Just a short note on some new info from FDA. Their research shows that to be sure and avoid the lorazepam withdrawal you should not stay on the drug more than 2 to 4 weeks. THAT IS SHORT!!!

Also, in the past they said lorazepam started losing its effectiveness after 4 month, now they say 4 to 6 months.

#2 DoneWithCrap

DoneWithCrap

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • why_joining:
    I have been a zombie of too long.
    I want a life!

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:53 PM

I have been switching between lorazepam and konopin for at least 13 years. i know they lose there effectiveness after a while. Not sure if taking a break from 1 then starting up again is as effective as it was the first time around either. Im about due to switch it up baecause the konopin isnt helping my akathesia much at this point

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:12 PM

Well Renee I do know that you are suppose to go two years between usages on the lorazepam. I don't know about the klonopin. I couldn't find anything on it.

#4 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

Renée, there was a post somewhere where FH mentionned that after a certain amount of time on a benzo, they switch you to another one. Then to another one. And so on and so on, cant find that post.

FH, you remember posting this somewhere not to long ago?

You mentionned that the doc wanted you to switch from ativan to another one, and you said no, you preferred hydroxizine, or something like this.

It's here somewhere, cant find it.

I also would like to know that when you switch back, is it as effective as it was in the beginning?

FH, out fishing? 

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:24 PM

Well Gail I just posted that some where else on here a few minutes ago. lol

I don't have any problem swapping benzos ever couple years. My problem is that benzos always give me this terrible fatigue. Like I am pulling a 500 lb ball and chain around. So I prefer the hydroxyzine. I remember in the case of lorazepam you are suppose to wait two years to go back on it. I don't know about the rest.

#6 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

FH, just guess you were not fishing after all,  that was fast. I didnt feel this fatigue when I switched from ativan to valium.

We are all different . God's way to tell us that we have to find our own path, I guess.

500 lb, that is a heavy mass to carry on.

Funny and uncanny the way one responds to a med and the other does not. The mystery goes on....

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:47 PM

For sure. They say only 7% suffer from that fatigue. Oh well. It gives me something to complain about. lol

#8 DoneWithCrap

DoneWithCrap

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • why_joining:
    I have been a zombie of too long.
    I want a life!

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:05 PM

I need to wait until my prescriber is back on the 3rd to ask when my last switch was. I have been having a terrible time with the akashisia lately. They gave me Ativan in an IV at the er and it really helped. I had some in my stash so I took it for a bad episode today and it helped. I say it is time to switch back on it as the Klonopin hasn't been working. I feel the benzos are the only thing that is going to get me through this.
Thank you for your posts

#9 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:49 AM

You got to do what you got to do. Nything to help take the edge off until the ride gets less bumpy.

Hang in there.

#10 Cinders

Cinders

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:28 AM

I'm finding that lorazepam helps with some of the uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms such as excessive sweating alternating with goose flesh, but delay taking it for fear of developing dependency.

Having admitted that, I have set my alarm for one-half hour before my usual "wake up" time and take 1 mg Ativan to start my day for the past three days and I think my days have been a little better. The good news is I haven't felt as sick overall. The bad news is I'm dopier than I want to be.

I guess it's about weighing the relative badness of the options....

#11 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:25 AM

Your exactly right Cinders. Hang in there and try to take it easy on yourself as much as possible.

#12 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

Fishinghat, can you remember someone posting something about " once you've been on Cymbalta & go off it " then other antidepressants don't work !."
I'm praying that this isn't the case , if it is than I have absolute ZERO hope left ...xx

#13 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:21 PM

No I sure don't Wagtail. Matter of fact just the opposite. If problems arise with Cymbalta then the dr will often switch the patient to another antidepressant. In my case I came off the Cymbalta and went on Zoloft. It has worked well.

#14 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:27 PM

No Wagtail, that's not true. Now just stop looking for failure, fears and worries ... just get back into your wonderful cocoon, and trust your wonderful doctor ... getting the meds worked out takes time and patience ... which ones and which doses ... each of us is so damned unique .... that's God's little gift to humankind ... one size definitely doesn't fit all ...

You are going to get what works for you figured out ... you're one of the very few of us here who has an excellent doc ... and a high quality resident treatment center ... count your Blessings ... you don't have to do this on your own the way most of us have had to ...

Hey ... do you think you could a group rate / discount for us with your doc / treatment center? We could all go together ... it'd be a blast ! :lol: 

#15 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:45 PM

FiveNotions, I am a worrier & one of the worst type ...A DEPRESSED ANXIOUS ONE !.

We're lucky here in Australia, it's expensive , but we pay into a health fund every month ( I think it's approx $500 ) and that covers us for the need to be hospitalized . Everything else we have to pay for as we go .
You're right , Nortriptaline is the first one they have tried since going off the Cymbalta. It's a very old med but the doctor must have thought it was the best one for me , if we can just get it to stay in my body .... I have had reactions to a few other types , just can't remember what they were....:-(

#16 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:47 PM

Wagtai, please try and not to worry or think the worse.  What I do know is medications take a while to actually get into your system, and since your doctor but you on a lower dosage, he is naturally increasing you as you go along and test you at the same time.  The tests will tell him when this medication is will be staying in your system at a constant pace.  It's just a matter of time.  I know you are thinking it isn't going to work, although I think it is because they have already detected it in your system, it's just a matter of adjusting the amount which will work for you.....:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users