• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 miche31

miche31

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:08 PM

I have been following this site for quite a few months now; finally got the nerve up about 5 months ago to wean off Cymbalta (this will be my second attempt). I've been taking it at 60mg for 5 years. This has been very hard to come off, probably the hardest SNRI, SSRI, etc. I've had to come off of. I gained 60lbs on this, and side effects like crazy. I've finally gotten down to 30mg by bead counting. Now, the side effects from the withdrawal have been HORRID. I can't go any slower and it's taken me a month just to be able to type on here.
I took it for Fibromyalgia, GAD, Depression. It helped with all that, but than I would have to raise the dose and I cannot go any higher than 60mg or I would have bad anxiety and try to grind my teeth off. So, coming off this, my body pain is so bad and then the brain zaps, dizziness, headaches, etc. I just want to cry.
My Dr. now wants to try Savella. She also prescribed Hydrocodone for the pain. I have SVT, where my heart will spike and skip, and the pain and adrenaline trigger it. I also have Xanax for my anxiety.
I am not looking for answers, as I read a lot of the posts on here and am trying to keep up with everyone, but the brain fog does get to me. I just wanted to reach out and say hi to all. What a miserable experience :( Michelle

#2 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:29 PM

Hi Michelle, welcome! I'm so glad you've been reading here, and have decided to make a post! ..... I did the same thing...I "lurked" a bit first ... I'd never participated in an online forum before, and I was really shy about getting started, but I discovered a wonderful group of "fellow sufferers," without whom I'd never have made it through the withdrawal/discontinuation!

Congratulations on making the decision to get off the poison! It sounds like you've been having a pretty rough go of it ... you're definitely not alone in the process, and we'll do everything we can to help you!

I've reached the end of my energy for today, and need to sign off and get some sleep. I'll respond more fully tomorrow, and I'm sure the others will be chiming in to greet you as well.

Hang in there ... life after Cymbalta is well worth all the struggle to get off it ... :D

#3 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:13 AM

Hi miche31

Welcome!

The severity of the symptoms relates directly to the rate of weaning off-- if it hurts, you're going too fast. Consider backing up 10 mg or so until you get stable and then resume weaning off after that; but go slower. When symptoms appear, back off.

Savella is another SNRI with an even shorter half-life (8 hrs) than Cymbalta (12 hrs). I understand the opioid Hydrocodone for pain, but what's the doc's rationale for another SNRI?

Take care.

#4 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:43 AM

Somehow get your Dr's attention on how badly you feel getting off this med and why he would prescribe another in the same family of side effects. I would suggest you stay with the weaning process -use your pain med and anti-anxiety med as needed . You will have a clearer head on making decisions weeks after you are done with Cymb .Don't for 1 minute think you are Not In Control e.g.  you are down by half the dose already.  Glad you found this site -keep us posted

#5 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

Hi michelle, welcome. you are in good hands here. it looks like you've already gotten good advice from thismoment, five notions and zappalta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users