Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • why_joining:
    I am here to gain support and support others

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:06 PM

I am really scared...i can't think a complete thought..my brain is hollow...is this normal withdrawal?

I already have ADD so I'm used to having a short attention span but I feel stupid and can't make decisions...i have a few social opportunities coming up and can't figure out what to do..i feel completely overwhelmed now that I'm back home..

can anyone relate to this empty brain problem?

thanks for listening

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:59 PM

Hi IBS. Haven't talked to you in a while. Sorry you are having such a tough time. How long you been off the Cymbalta know? That lack of confidence, loss of cognitive ability lasted about 2 months for me after coming off. You just feel like you can't handle anything but it does go away.

#3 ittybittysmitty

ittybittysmitty

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:19 PM

Hi FH, I'm still taking 5 mg in the am and 10 mg at lunch...My doc is having me halve the capsules and halve the morning dose..I'm not counting and wonder if the lack of consistency is to blame.

#4 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:10 PM

IBS...you mentioned you are overwhelmed once getting home.  Vacation, I believe you are referring to.  This doesn't surprise me in the least.  On top of the withdrawal symptoms which are still there...you went on vacation, relaxed and were able to handle the withdrawal and once you returned home you returned to your regular everyday life and responsibilities are in reality right back to norm.  Of course this will make you feel as though 'out of the blue' this has happened again.  Yes, your withdrawal is still around and yes it's at a higher anxiety level because you are home from vacation.  What I would do is to possibly omit one or two of these events so you don't over do it...  Just learn to say 'no' and do only what you feel you can do..  Less anxiety on you and less stress in your mind and thinking.....Best of luck to you

#5 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:14 PM

IBS, I've missed you! Glad you're back!

The "eye balling" the dose could well be a contributing factor ... I know you don't want to count beads, but it's the only way to get the correct dose / taper ... one thing that might make it easier is to get a piece of felt ... a color that contrasts with the bead color... and put the beads on the felt... separate them out with a butter knife or the edge of a credit card ... then take one of the empty capsule halfs and slide it across the felt to scoop up/in the beads that you want to take ... (I didn't bead count, but I read this suggestion someplace here or on another forum)

And, Carleeta's right ... slow down now that you're home ... fewer activities ... your brain needs peace and quiet, minimum stimulation, in order to do it's best healing...

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:51 AM

Carleeta and FN got it right IBS. But can do this. Hang in there.

#7 ittybittysmitty

ittybittysmitty

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:02 AM

Thank you FN and Carleeta..

I feel much better this morning..yesterday I was overstimulated to the point of mania...

It's so important to honor what our bodies tell us..I tend to ignore and push ahead, feeling pressured to be with others out of loneliness..today I am going to watch tennis on ESPN..watching TV is comforting to me mentally.

Thank you FN for the felt tip..someone mentioned using tweezers..those little buggers are tough to control! So you eyeballed it too..what was your experience like?

Enjoy your day everyone..you are all special!

#8 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

IBS ... nope, I didn't "eyeball it" ... I simply gouged my eyeballs out with a soup spoon ... went cold turkey ... :wacko: :blink: :P

#9 DoneWithCrap

DoneWithCrap

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • why_joining:
    I have been a zombie of too long.
    I want a life!

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

I am really scared...i can't think a complete thought..my brain is hollow...is this normal withdrawal?

I already have ADD so I'm used to having a short attention span but I feel stupid and can't make decisions..

This is how I have always felt while ON Cymbalta and still feel like this now that I'm tapering off. I too have ADD and I believe the cymbalta use/withdrawal has made it worst. I'm not BiPolar but I often have mania like anxiety where I will stay awake for days working on something.

Vacations cause me so much anxiety that I actually get sick. Even when I'm looking forward to going  :wacko: 

I hope for both our sake that this will fade over time.

#10 ittybittysmitty

ittybittysmitty

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:23 PM

Hi Renee,

Well it's nice to know we can relate..how much longer do you have to take it? Are you taking anything for ADD?

i can relate to your vacation stress! Much of the time especially going through TSA at the airport then getting on and off the ship stressed me out. I couldn't keep the paperwork straight for the cruise ship and couldn't retain anything so kept asking my friend what to do...
But the relaxation was soothing ri my brain.

Now that I'm adjusting to being home i face indecision and lack of structure..which make me anxious, so i promised myself i won't push myself and do only what i think i can handle

#11 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:32 AM

Renee, it is normal (unluckily) and it will slowly fade.  Hang in there.

#12 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:50 AM

Renee, and iBS... One thing I forgot the mention is some of us (and this definitely pertains to me....) tend to be perfectionists and need everything in order, and must attend every thing we are invited to, and etc.  It's part of why we tend to have some anxiety even before Cymbalta..  If either one of you have these traits, I will suggest to just tell yourself things to not have to be perfect..  In this way, when the house is a bit disorderly, let it stay that way.  It's going to be there tomorrow and the next day. it isn't going anywhere, therefore you can tidy up when you feel better.  Same thing with obligations like social gatherings.  Say if no if you are not feeling up to it, or say no ahead of time.  What I ususally say is "I'll see how I feel that day".  If its an event where you had to rsvp, then again if you feel you can't go that day then you can't.  Others will be there and the event will still take place without you...lol lol lol.  Once things are omitted, there should be a lessening of anxiety which should help.  In time you might find yourself attending more functions than planned with much less anxiety..... Rest is important and so is the word "NO".  Best of luck to you both 

#13 ittybittysmitty

ittybittysmitty

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:13 AM

Carleeta,

What words of wisdom!

I tend to be OCD around my house and get anxious when things are left undone but realize there's always another day...progress not perfection. I've always been messy...it's part of being a creative person;@))

I agree with you on saying no...Last week I agreed to go camping this wkd and regret it....I am just finishing unpacking from my cruise and that was stressful..I just want to be with my girlfriends but at the cost of my sleep and sanity?

If my brain was working, the decision would have been healthier. It's supposed to rain so that will be a good reason to say no

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users