#1 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

i have had great improvement in withdrawal/discontinuation symptoms since totally being off cymbalta for over 14 weeks now. however (there's always a but) a chronic symptom that won't go away is a sensation, not pain, just an obsessive sensation of razors nicking, cutting, gouging, etc my shins! its like anxiety in my skin (instead of my brain) that is the best way i can describe it and the word that mostly closely defines my experience is paresthesia - the creepy crawly tingly sensation that occurs with withdrawal of a wide range of drugs. the bizarre manifestation i experience is almost embarrassing to discuss. i think other people would think i'm psychotic. other than this forum, only my husband, therapist and psych know. my therp asked me if it hurts, and i tell him not in a way that we normally think of "pain" but it is an obsessive experience that can spin my head around in no time. of course he points out that since i don't have any actual pain to not give it any energy, practice mindfulness and occupy myself with something that engages my brain as a distraction. same as managing anxiety. during the day that works okay and takes the edge off, but when i go to bed, the only thing i want to engage is sleep. its getting worse and i haven't yet gone back to seem him.

the first time i ever felt these types of sensations was when i went on my first anti-d in 1996, zoloft. it was really only during the "ramp up" period and when the doc would increase or lower the dosage and it would usually go away after a week or so. ditto with subsequent ant-d's. however, the paresthesia kicked into high gear once i was totally off the C. 

its maddening and is the primary reason i cannot sleep at night. it also triggers anxiety which of course makes sleeping even tougher. i can deal with anxiety these days but not the feeling in my legs. i have to constantly put pressure on my shins to get any relief. that means pillows, blankets or holding them with my hands, but that strategy doesn't work very well. long pants of course help, like tight jeans or to a lesser degree leggings (heavier the fabric the better)  funny thing, when i actually shave my legs i don't have the feeling (probably the pressure) but just before and after i go nuts

i take benedryl to help me sleep. in the past one 25 mg caplet was all  i needed and it can help with the paresthesia. lately benedryl hasn't worked so well so last night i took two. it did help with the paresthesia but i never slept. no anxiety was just awake - very drowsy but laid in bed for 3 hours before drifting off. at least i was comfortable. my concern there is the obvious tolerance i am building up. if i can't sleep on 50 mg, 75 is next and then so on and so on. i know when that starts to occur the insomnia, anxiety and paresthesia will return as i wean off. in other words, i get nowhere. that is why i refuse to use benzos. i know their use is meant to be only temporary but not having any idea how long my C withdrawal will continue, the prospect of dependence is very real. i will not put myself in a position where i have another round of anxiety issues. i would rather lose one of my senses than to experience the outright terror and fear that i did during my first couple months off the C. i know my body and benzos are a dangerous option. 

does anyone else have experience with this particular manifestation of paresthesia? any remedies that work?  if there is a lifelong symptom of withdrawal for me i suspect this is it. i am really looking for strategies that might help learn to tolerate this.

other than mild anxiety that comes and goes, some lingering neuropathy and mild fatigue (likely due to the insomnia) the paresthesia is the only side effect i have left. i know i've come a long way and continue to improve and for that i am truly thankful.

thanks a bunch.

#2 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:04 PM

Bryzghoff ... yes, I had those symptoms ... "paresthesia" is yet another symptom of ssri withdrawal .. results from a reduction of serotonin levels in the brain ... http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/8889907

What fixed / stopped it for me was L-tryptophan ... it's an amino acid supplement that boosts serotonin ...

we've had extensive discussions on the forum about tryptophan (the pre-cursor to 5-htp) ...safety, whether it works, etc...  (ThisMoment made a solid argument for using tryptophan, not 5-htp) .... so, before you try tryptophan, please search the forum (search box on top right of the home page) and read those threads ... also do some googling ...

But, it did work for me ...and it helped my sleep quality.... I started at a very low dose an hour before bedtime ... 100 mg I think (again, research this)... I increased the dose gradually, and if I recall, after I'd been taking 200 mg for 2-3 days, the parethesia symptoms faded/stopped ... I just checked my notes, but didn't find anything ... so I'm working on memory only here (dangerous, I know :blink: )

#3 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:57 PM

FN,

thanks for the update, i should have known you'd know! i am familiar with L-tryptophan and will look into it. my husband tried it for his insomnia but it didn't work for him, but then neither does ambient - so i doubt anything will work for him. i don't want to take ambien, also habit forming. i know that 5-htp isn't something i'd want to take, just like i don't want to take SAMe, both have the ability to actually increase anxiety in some people. 

#4 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:17 PM

I tried the SAMe years ago for depression ... it didn't do anything one way or the other for me ... and it was expensive ...

#5 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:07 AM

Have you tried a combo of calcium and magnesium citrate also keeping your feet and legs cooler while you sleep-heat increases sensitivity try a cool fan setting

#6 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:50 PM

Zappa, thanks for adding that ... very very helpful to me ... lots of chelated magnesium ... and hot Epsom salt baths / soaks ... it gets right to the muscles transdermally ... a while back someone else here mentioned having success with magnesium oil rubbed into the muscles , which I'd never heard of ....

#7 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:36 PM

great idea zapp! i keep hearing about magnesium and don't know why i don't go out and get some. just hope it doesn't have the same impact as milk of magnesia ;-)

FN, you've mentioned epsom salts before and thats another i keep forgetting! definitely on my shopping list for tomorrow.

thanks gang!

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:52 AM

BRZ

The magnesium can, shall we say, loosen things, but it is not near as aggressive as MOM.

#9 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

brz...Are these sentations like vibrations, or more like pins and needles. or feeling of restless leg syndrome?  I'm also wondering if touch and sound make these sensations more aggressive?  This way we will have more of an idea on what you are feeling and how to address it.....

#10 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

brz...Are these sentations like vibrations, or more like pins and needles. or feeling of restless leg syndrome?  I'm also wondering if touch and sound make these sensations more aggressive?  This way we will have more of an idea on what you are feeling and how to address it.....

not restless leg. touch: helps on where it occurs, my shins. sounds: if its a metal blade sound (like a circular saw). not pins and needles. vibration comes closer. its almost like my skin is "thinking" the sensation - weird. that's why i said kinda like anxiety - not on my mind/brain but in the skin over my shins

#11 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:09 PM

brz....sounds like it's in the nervous system....and possibly coming up from the ankle and foot area.  which I'm also saying it's just another Cymbalta withdrawal symptom reacting on the nervous system....... Try cold packs on it and see what happens........or warm pack.   aspercream...things like that to dull this feeling.....

#12 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:46 PM

i'm gonna try the cold pack stuff here in just a few minutes. i also just got back from the store with a calcium/magnesium supplement. blue bonnet liquid. i also picked up som l tryptophan. 500 mgs. gonna read up on best way to take it, five notions, if you're around, i'd love your tips! oh yeah, you said search the forum. i'll do that right now - with a cold pack on my legs - or a banjo on my knee? 

#13 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

i'm gonna try the cold pack stuff here in just a few minutes. i also just got back from the store with a calcium/magnesium supplement. blue bonnet liquid. i also picked up som l tryptophan. 500 mgs. gonna read up on best way to take it, five notions, if you're around, i'd love your tips! oh yeah, you said search the forum. i'll do that right now - with a cold pack on my legs - or a banjo on my knee? 

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

#14 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:36 PM

hi Bryzghoff .. sorry to be late responding to your question about the tryptophan ... I bet you've already started taking it ... but, for what's it's worth ... here's what I did ... I started with a low dose, just 100 mg I think ... I bought 200 mg capsules, and emptied half of a capsule into those empty gel capsules they sell in the health food stores .. and pharmacies, I think ..

I took the 100 mg capsules for 3 or 4 days, to see how I reacted / felt ... didn't feel anything, so then I increased to the full 200 mg capsules ... that's when I started to notice an improvement in the parasthesia (sp?) ... and also a general calming effect ... I've gotta check my notes, or earlier posts here, again, to see how high I went ... I should remember, but my brain is like a sieve tonight ...

#15 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:15 PM

hi Bryzghoff .. sorry to be late responding to your question about the tryptophan ... I bet you've already started taking it ... but, for what's it's worth ... here's what I did ... I started with a low dose, just 100 mg I think ... I bought 200 mg capsules, and emptied half of a capsule into those empty gel capsules they sell in the health food stores .. and pharmacies, I think ..

I took the 100 mg capsules for 3 or 4 days, to see how I reacted / felt ... didn't feel anything, so then I increased to the full 200 mg capsules ... that's when I started to notice an improvement in the parasthesia (sp?) ... and also a general calming effect ... I've gotta check my notes, or earlier posts here, again, to see how high I went ... I should remember, but my brain is like a sieve tonight ...

NOW i see this!!!  ;-) as you've already seen my other posting elsewhere, i started at 500 mgs, that's the lowest they sell at my local natural foods store. i think i'll try again tonight with half as much. menawhile, my hubby usually takes ambien. he decided to try tryptophan. he took 1 gram. nothing. of course, ambien doesn't work for more than about 3-4 hours for him. he's not a big guy at all, but has a high tolerance to all meds. ambien knocks me flat, but i don't like taking powerful stuff like that - but if i can't get a sleep groove going in the next couple days i probably will break down and take half of one. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users