#31 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:32 AM

FiveNotions, we will be hearing from the president tomorrow concerning the  CDC and what we will be doing to help with the Ebola.  He would like to send more money and Military to Liberia.  Finally, something more looks like it's in the works..... 

#32 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:03 AM

Carleeta, here are some statistics about asthma in children:

Asthma [currently affects] an estimated 7.1 million children under 18 years; of which 4.1 million suffered from an asthma attack or episode in 2011. (From the American Lung Association, September 2014: http://www.lung.org/...t-sheet.html#1)

In 2007, 6.7 million children had asthma. (From Pediatrics, the journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics, based on statistics from the CDC: http://pediatrics.aa...nt_3/S131.full)

My bet is that this, and many other diseases, are coming into the US via our wide open southern border...But I need to find some stats to correlate the EVD68 with illegal immigration ...

FiveNotions, you are the best...  You've researched some info for me.  Thank you.  Yes, I've enjoyed reading these, especially how many children are more apt to getting asthma these days.  hmmmm very interesting.

Since there is not cure for the HRV (commonly cold) and it is viral there is no antibiotic for this.  Only if bacterial will an antibiotic be successful. 

My opinion on all of these diseases and viruses spreading more in the US is definitely due to the parents who do not believe in giving their children shots.  Children are getting things they shouldn't normally be getting and so many things are spreading through the US (not just these viruses) because they choose not to vaccinate their children. Yes, parents have the right to not have their children vaccinated, although this causes a huge problem and more viruses to be spread throughout the US.  We will see different things pop up from time to time which shock us, although the blame is definitely on not getting vaccinated and keeping their children up to date on their shots.  As many immigrants come over from different countries, different viruses pop up which should not be here...  

As far as  influenza, we know this is a bacterial virus and there are antibiotics.  It's very important to get the flu shot (I recommend this highly, unless and individual is allergic to it) and it certainly does not mean someone won't get the flu, although your chances of getting the full symptoms is very slight.  What to know about the flu shot every year is this: When you receive a flu shot, you are receiving the strain of the flu from the prior year.  There is no way of knowing what strain will appear each year, therefore individuals are given last years strain.  This is one of the reasns some individuals will get slight flu symptoms although receiving the shot.  It's still very important to get this flu shot, in my opinion.    

#33 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:16 AM

Carleeta...

I agree regarding the flu shot - I got mine last Mon. since I was seeing my new PCP and she said they had it in and would I like to get it now...

Yep, I did - and for the first time had some reactions after 48 hrs., but they didn't last but a couple of days.  Much better than getting a full blown case of the crap at a later date! :)

How are you doing with your pain management?  Do you see the Dr. again soon?

Praying for you, my friend,

Liz 

#34 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:36 AM

TryinginFl.  So glad you received your flu shot.  I wish I knew when you were going to get it, because I would have told you once you get the shot, you need to move that around all around and shake it all through the day.  This helps the serum move about in the arm and not settle in one area.  This helps quite a bit.  Were you saying you had flu like symptoms after the shot?  Is this the first time you experienced this?   Was this the first time you took the shot?

#35 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:41 AM

Yes, I had mild flu symptoms - sweating and feeling so weak I had to lie down, but only for a couple of days.  I have been getting the shot for several years, but this is the first time I had a reaction - must be the old age! :(

#36 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:42 AM

TryinginFl.  your symptoms( small grade fever) are one of the milder reactions if any.  You did well with the shot...  Don't think it has anything to do with age..lol lol.  think its more of the strains in the influenza shot itself.  What's important is you are ok anyway.  it does take 2 weeks for the full effect of the shot to work, FYI

#37 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:02 PM

This is informative .... 

CDC issues Ebola checklist: 'Now is the time to prepare' (9/15/2014)
http://washingtonexa...article/2553396

#38 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:05 PM

Apparently the US State Department has issued a bid request for 160,000 ebola hazmat suits ... (second paragraph)

http://www.marketwat...014-09-12/print

#39 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:46 PM

Five Notions....interesting articles....Thank you...... can't wait to see what President Obama has to say tomorrow on this Ebola epidemic. From what I understand on today's news it sounds as though the CDC is very involved in his decision to send more help to West Africa.  Like I stated in an earlier post a few weeks past, our government will do whatever it takes to lessen the amount of Ebola cases occurring here.  I believe the Military will be greatly involved now. 

The new hazard suits being produced will most likely be what they will be sending over to West Africa and definitely some for here in the US.  Do I believe this is getting out of control?  Yes, I do.  Although I know medical health care workers are very aware of their positions if/when it enters the US.   

What truly is happening is when/if cases arrive here in the US, all staff will be ready and try to isolate the affected area.....They will definitely be on the look out for the symptoms which should help the US get a handle on it.....

When the president visits CDC tomorrow he will make some sort of decision, and this is what I'm waiting for.....

#40 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:21 PM

Yes, Carleeta, I do believe it is getting out of control ... already is out of control. I apologize if this offends, but I can't not speak what I feel. I have little to no faith in what the president will say or do ... he still won't admit that ISIL is Islamic ... he's not exactly a "take action" kind of guy ... he lost me with "you can keep your plan" and "you can keep your doctor" and "every household will save at least $2,500 / yr." ...

What is being reported in this country is vastly different than what is being reported abroad:

Virologist: Fight against Ebola in Sierra Leone and Liberia is lost
Deutsche Welle, 9/11/2014
http://web.archive.o...lost/a-17915090

#41 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:52 PM

Yes, Carleeta, I do believe it is getting out of control ... already is out of control. I apologize if this offends, but I can't not speak what I feel. I have little to no faith in what the president will say or do ... he still won't admit that ISIL is Islamic ... he's not exactly a "take action" kind of guy ... he lost me with "you can keep your plan" and "you can keep your doctor" and "every household will save at least $2,500 / yr." ...What is being reported in this country is vastly different than what is being reported abroad:Virologist: Fight against Ebola in Sierra Leone and Liberia is lostDeutsche Welle, 9/11/2014http://web.archive.o...lost/a-17915090

Fivenotions. ..I understand your feeling..This does not offend me what so ever..We are all unique and have our likes and dislikes. .lol lol....I'm just interested in what he finds out at the CDC tomorrow. .lol lol..As for the his opinion for Islamic, I do agree. The Obama care hurt many individuals and you were one of them, and I know of others who have been affected as well....this never should have happened...U Do Feel For You truly...:)

#42 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:09 PM

darn ... lost a whole post ... well, too pooped to try to recreate... enjoy the silence .... ;)

#43 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:09 PM

FiveNotions......you are too funny.  You must always be the life of the party.   You are so witty, and I love your sense of humor.

Update on President and Ebola.  Yes, he is going to send the military to West Africa....just what I thought he might say...lol lol

#44 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:20 PM

Great, so who's going to go to our southern border to protect us from ISIL? Not to mention back to Iraq? The Boy Scouts?

Pentagon Plans to Shrink Army to Pre-WWII Levels
http://www.nytimes.c...r-ii-level.html

Citing security threat, Obama expands U.S. role fighting Ebola
https://za.news.yaho...-040815217.html

U.S. Pushes Back Against Warnings That ISIS Plans to Enter From Mexico
http://www.nytimes.c...om-mexico.html?

#45 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:29 PM

Well FiveNotions, this is quite a scare for all of us.  Both topics....hmmmm!  I'm disgusted over these executions.  These articles were very informative, and thank you.  I honestly do not know how these two issues are going to be solved.  Looks like our Military will have their hands full.  My nephew, the ER Doctor was in the Air Force and he had to go do Afghanistan three times as a Military doctor.  Speaking with him the other day, he wasn't sure what was worse if he was still in the Military.  Whether he would be off to Iraq, West Africa or anywhere else, and he is a strong and brave individual.  He opted to go to Afghanistan the third time.  Therefore, for him to be in questionable over all of this,  definitely makes me wonder....  

#46 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:01 PM

Oh my, Carleeta ... that really brings all this "home," doesn't it? Well, all I can say is he's a hero of the first order, and I am eternally grateful to him for his service and sacrifice. You must be so proud to have a young man like that in your family! :hug:

I also realize now that I totally failed to explain in my earlier posts on ebola and EVD68 why I am so concerned about these diseases ... and all the others that are out there ... vaccines or not ....

It's because I'm fully aware that given my compromised health thanks to Cymbalta (added to my age, etc.), I am in the group of the most virus and contagious disease-vulnerable individuals. I believe most of us here fall into that category. I doubt most of us could survive a true epidemic most sorts ...

So, I sorta' watch all this stuff developing with a bit of "skin in the game." (And at my age, I gotta' lotta' skin ;))

#47 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:41 PM

FN

Ditto, sadly - and I have more "skin" than you! :(

#48 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:49 PM

hehehe .... I wouldn't be so sure, TFL ... I've gotten so I shower with the lights out in my bathroom ... hate to see the saggy butt and boobs in the mirror ... even scares the cats :P

#49 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:55 PM

LOL   -  You are a hoot!! :D :P :lol:

#50 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:40 PM

Yes FiveNotions it does bring this all home...Thank you I will tell him how thankful you are for his services...I tell him all the time I don't know how he did it....He lives in Florida like Tryinginfl. ..Although he's in the panhandle..

Oh without a doubt I understand you concern about Ebola, EVA 68, and the like...I'm also in the same boat age wise and not in shape (had to stop curves)...These viruses scare me when I think about them..As we feel we can't fight them off like when we were younger. We should all be careful to take extra caution with viruses...FiveNotions, did you get the flu shot yet? It's about that time to get the shot up our way..I need to get mine soon.

I need to take my bath with the lights on...lol lol..I need to see my legs when I shave them..lol lol

#51 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:35 PM

Here's a new one for Carleeta, my favorite laboratory genius .... :)

Venezuela on alert over mysterious, deadly disease
http://www.local10.c...isease/28100714

It just amazes and fascinates me how you're able to explain this stuff... crapalta and the brain stuff I know pretty well ... these little virus buggers, not so much!

#52 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:37 AM

An update on on the EVA 68...Just found out our local hospitals will not let any visitors under the age of 18 into them, as this virus just hit New York State..

#53 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:54 AM

Wow, this stuff is moving fast, isn't it? I read yesterday that it's in Canada now, as well ... can't find the link, but will post it here when I do.

#54 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:05 AM

One small earth and 8 billion people. The worlds biggest petri dish.

#55 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:10 PM

#56 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:12 PM

Is the 'war on ebola' really a war for our military
LA Times, 9/18/2014
http://www.latimes.c...0918-story.html

The US Military Is Going to Africa to Fight Ebola. Here's What It's Up Against
Mother Jones, 9/18/2014
http://www.motherjon...ria-fight-ebola

Ebola cases -- exponential curve
A Frightening Curve: How Fast Is The Ebola Outbreak Growing?
NPR, 9/18/2014
http://www.npr.org/b...mic-is-so-scary

#57 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:25 PM

FH, here's that "petri dish of 8 billion people" .....

Theoretical Ebola spread and death based on 1.86 infection rate monthly
Investment Watch Blog, 8/16/2014
http://investmentwat...n-rate-monthly/

Straight linear progression, assuming each person passes disease to "1.86" other people (the 1.86 is calculated using the known infections to the date of the article) and that the mortality rate stays the same ... and that nothing at all intervenes (like a vaccine, more doctors and medical assistance, etc.) to stop it ...

Mar, 2014 – Infected: 104 Dead: 62
Apr, 2014 – Infected: 194 Dead: 116
May, 2014 – Infected: 360 Dead: 216
Jun, 2014 – Infected: 670 Dead: 402
Jul, 2014 – Infected: 1,247 Dead: 748
Aug, 2014 – Infected: 2,319 Dead: 1,391

Sep, 2014 – Infected: 4,313 Dead: 2,588 (article written in August, so this "progression number" is very close to what's now occurred.)

. . . [omitted for brevity]

Dec, 2014 – Infected: 27,753 Dead: 16,652

. . . [omitted for brevity]

July, 2015 – Infected:        2,137,510 Dead: 1,282,506
Aug, 2015 – Infected:        3,975,768 Dead: 2,385,461

Sep, 2015 – Infected:        7,394,928 Dead: 4,436,957 (Next year, if we don't stop this stuff.)

Aug, 2016 – Infected: 6,816,734,096 Dead: 4,090,040,457 (Gone from Millions to Billions! Petri dish is almost empty.)
---------------------------
So, if we don't get this stuff stopped or slowed down significantly, contained/quarantined, our "earthly petri dish" will be empty in 2 years.

Math is scary stuff. I've been scared of it ever since HS algebra :huh:

#58 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:07 PM

FiveNotions, thank you for these articles. It's amazing! Our medical branch of the military! God Bless these service individuals, brave men and women.

#59 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:16 PM

LA Times sure had it right - can't believe the waste of our military - this is absolutely ridiculous.

#60 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:46 PM

Tryinging and FiveNotions!, I'm thinking, I for the first time will be disagreeing with both of you. .lol lol. I don't believe this is a waste of our Military. Of course I don't want our men and women to go there, although I tend to agree we need to help these infected individuals ( training West Africa!, helping to set up medical facilities which they need, train medical staff in their areas, and get more beds to treat these individuals). Our country and others cannot afford to let this spread any further, or we will all be at risk for an epidemic or pandemic. I'm confident our Military going there will save many lives..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users