#211 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:50 PM

Well the first nurse with Ebola has been transferred to Maryland. I believe this to be a good thing.  It seems like the Presbyterian Hospital in Texas needed to do this to ensure the proper care for her and to ensure no other nurses at that hospital will become infected.  There are only 4 or 5 hospitals equipped to handle this disease.  Unfortunately, this hospital was not one of them. I will say 90% of the US hospitals are not as equipped.  These 90% are needed to follow up on all "step up protocols".   

#212 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:02 PM

Alarm after vomiting passenger dies on flight from Nigeria to JFK
New York Post, 10/14/2014, 7:36 pm
http://nypost.com/20...nigeria-to-jfk/

FTA: "A plane from Nigeria landed at JFK Airport Thursday with a male passenger aboard who had died during the flight after a fit of vomiting — and CDC officials conducted a “cursory” exam before announcing there was no Ebola and turning the corpse over to Port Authority cops to remove, Rep. Peter King said on Thursday."
. . .
"During the flight, the man had been vomiting in his seat, the source said. Some time before the plane landed, he passed away. Flight crew contacted the CDC, federal customs officials and Port Authority police, who all boarded the plane at around 6 a.m. as about 145 worried passengers remained on board, the source said.

“The door [to the terminal] was left open, which a lot of the first responders found alarming,” said the source.
. . .
“My understanding was that the passenger was vomiting in the seat,” King (R-LI) said.

“The CDC went on the plane, examined the dead body and said the person did not have Ebola,” King said.
--------------------------
And just how did they know immediately that he was not infected?

#213 Neesee

Neesee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • why_joining:
    Research/help for weaning off Cymbalta/Duloxetine

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:42 AM

THIEVES oil, research it, google it, buy it. I'm a HUGE believer in it. I work with the public, and diffuse it every day. I'm not saying it will keep you from some funky virus going around, but it very well may keep from from getting other junk.

#214 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:36 AM

Yikes, Neesee ... just "googled" it, and that stuff is massively expensive! How do you afford it?

#215 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:56 AM

i googled it, i like where the site where i went says:

"Thieves® was created based on research about four thieves in France who covered themselves with cloves, rosemary, and other aromatics while robbing plague victims." 

i guess crime DOES pay ;-)

#216 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:05 AM

oh, lookee here ... we've got a new "Ebola Czar" ... Ron Klain ... well-known around here in DC political circles ... zero qualifications/credentials for the job ... other than he's a huge Democratic party operative / "fixer" ... oh, and he lobbied on behalf of drug cos....

We're so screwed....
------------------------
Obama put a WH staffer in charge of Ebola efforts because he views this as a political crisis, not a health crisis. Telling.

— Sean Davis (@seanmdav) October 17, 2014
https://twitter.com/...119487487594496
-----------------------------------
http://www.wyff4.com...a-czar/29189690

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Klain
----------------------

#217 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:08 AM

Yeah, this is all over FOX News right now...

Will take a break - time to go to see my therapist! :)

#218 Neesee

Neesee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • why_joining:
    Research/help for weaning off Cymbalta/Duloxetine

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:35 AM

I make my own, it's a whole lot cheaper

#219 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:49 PM

Yeah, this is all over FOX News right now...

Will take a break - time to go to see my therapist! :)

hope you come home with all sorts of helpful advice and strategies! 

#220 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:41 PM

Well, this is interesting ... I just discovered that "Dr" Frieden's Georgia and NYS medical licenses have lapsed... as has his board certification in "infectious diseases"
-------------------
New York State
http://www.nysed.gov...139&namechk=FRI

Name : FRIEDEN THOMAS R
Address : NEW YORK NY
Profession : MEDICINE
License No: 173139
Date of Licensure : 12/02/87
Additional Qualification : [Blank]
Registered through last day of : [Blank]
Medical School: COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY Degree Date : 05/14/1986

*If a registration has lapsed without explanation, the record is marked NOT REGISTERED.
---------------------------------
Georgia
https://services.geo...erformSearch.do

License: 065108
FRIEDEN, THOMAS RANDALL, MD
1600 CLIFTON ROAD, NE MS-D14 |
ATLANTA , GA 30333
Issue Date: 09/02/2010
Expiration Date: 12/31/2011
Specialty: Internal Medicine
--------------------------------------
Dr. Frieden
http://www.healthgra...ilosophy_anchor

Infectious Disease:
Accrediting Board: American Board of Internal Medicine
Starts: 1992
Expires: 2002
-----------------------

#221 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:48 PM

This is very interesting, FiveNotions....hmmmmm

#222 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:20 PM

Modeling the Impact of Interventions on an Epidemic of Ebola in Sierra Leone and Liberia
PLOS Currents
October 16, 2014
http://currents.plos...ne-and-liberia/

Very interesting article, reputable journal.

Get a load of who funded the study -- NIH and DTRA.

DTRA is the "Defense Threat Reduction Agency" -- the "U.S. Department of Defense’s official Combat Support Agency for countering weapons of mass destruction..." http://www.dtra.mil/About.aspx)

DTRA is part of the USSTRATCOM Center for Combating WMD & Standing Joint Force Headquarters - Elimination. http://www.dtra.mil/Home.aspx

#223 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:21 PM

All this is seriously getting out of control.  It needs to be controlled in West Africa or we might be seeing more of what's going on here in the US.  Glad to see anyone who has now come in contact or close enough, to anyone Ebola, will need to signs papers which include where they are NOT supposed to go.  All individuals who need to watch themselves for 21 days will be given guidelines of where they cannot go.  It's about time the CDC has buckled down on the individuals who are to be isolated for 2 weeks.  Oh my, this is just causing everyone to panic.  As I myself look at individuals wherever I go. Today I went for my pedi and mani, which should have been a positive (it was a bit of a positive) and my nail technician was telling me how worried she is with individuals she has to physically touch daily.  She stated she was very nicely going to let her clients know she is aware of what's happening with Ebola.  She asked me what I thought about this.  I simply explained to watch for flu like symptoms and ask them questions.  She stated that's exactly what she will do.  It seems as these scares in the US have all of us just thinking twice about things and wonder if the person next to you or near you has been in contact with someone who has Ebola or been in contact with someone who has been in contact with someone who has Ebola.....Its getting crazy....

#224 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:36 PM

Here's my question ... if a professional nurse like Ms. Duncan, who should totally know better, went ahead and traveled even though she wasn't feeling well (they're saying now that she wasn't feeling well for several days before she traveled), how can we even hope that others will follow the guidelines/self-monitoring?

Also, visas to the US from the ebola countries are still being processes / expedited. WTF?

I guess if I have to, I can just cancel going out to work on campus with the grad student, and can just stay in my apartment for the next couple of months ... recording readings for him, and doing the 8 week PBS gig ...

Cancel the damn visa processing and cancel the damn flights ... don't let anyone from those countries board a flight to the US ... including from all the European hubs ... arrange for all the medical / military aid flights to be handled separately ... how's that sound for a workable plan?

#225 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:44 PM

Agreed...

Our generous prez seems to think we have no problems with all of these people coming into the country - huh???  How do we know where they've been?  What if the Ebola victim had been in DC instead of Dallas (that scares me for you, FN) - do you think the "powers that be" would have the same outlook? 

#226 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:54 PM

Well, TFL, the DC area has one of the largest west African communities in the country (Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone and Ghana) ... including the "dips" (diplomats/staff) and foreign students .... 90% of the staff at my friend's nursing home is from West Africa ... and at least 60% of all the CNA's and HHA's, other hospital workers, etc. around here are from there .. the Medicaid clinic where I have to go has almost as large a west African clientele as Hispanic ...

Prez Obola just golfs. I've got no idea who's really running the show. And I'm hearing from a number of my old law firm contacts (the lobbyist crew on K St), that the White House is in complete disarray .... and to think I was pissed at George W about Katrina ...

#227 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:08 PM

Bill O'Reilly just had a great memo on his show...

Can't understand why so many countries in Africa have a travel ban to keep these citizens out, but if we should do that, we are called "Racist" !  I love you, Bill!

#228 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:22 PM

You are so right FiveNotions and Tryinginfl. . The visa ' s need to stop. Don't feel they will, as both you feel. What I'd like to see in the meantime is a vaccine being approved immediately.

What I don't understand is why we the US was not prepared for this. I knew and we all knew Ebola was going to get to the US. It was so predictable. The CDC boosted up the protocols months ago for this Ebola. It just wasn't enough until now. Now we will see how soon the PPP gets to hospitals and labs. It better be fast!

#229 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:49 PM

Well, Carleeta, I have some opinions ... but they make me sound like I've gone all "conspiracy nut" ... no one can consistently make as many serious mistakes as this prez and administration have .... the odds are that they'd "get one right" at least once in a while ... the only logical answer / explanation that I can deduce that fits the "odds" is that they  know / intend what they're doing, and are highly successful at it ... I no longer believe that what's in the best interests of America and Americans is what this administration is concerned with ...

Sorry ... that was a rant. I deleted. It.

#230 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:03 PM

Fantastic post, FN...

I love it as much as I hate the administration :angry: 

#231 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:45 AM

Carleeta, why does the US gov hold a patent on the human ebola virus?

Human Ebola Virus Species and Compositions and Methods Thereof
US 20120251502 A1
http://www.google.co...s/US20120251502

Abstract: Compositions and methods including and related to the Ebola Bundibugyo virus (EboBun) are provided. Compositions are provided that are operable as immunogens to elicit and immune response or protection from EboBun challenge in a subject such as a primate. Inventive methods are directed to detection and treatment of EboBun infection.

#232 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:17 AM

“First in Human” Ebola clinical trial (NCT02041715), January 2014

I just did some more research, and discovered that were we (the US Dept. of Defense, collaborating with Canadian drug developer, Tekmira Pharma Co http://www.ic.gc.ca/...Id=262&app=sold) started doing clinical testing of an ebola vaccine on humans in West Africa early this year, just before the outbreak was declared in March ....

Any chance Tekmira screwed up? (Nah, pharma cos never make mistakes ... we here all know that ... :angry:)
-------------------------------
“First in Human” Ebola clinical trial (NCT02041715), January 2014 shortly before the ebola epidemic was declared in West Africa in March. According to the website (ClinicalTrials.gov -- NIH), it's now been "suspended"

http://clinicaltrial...how/NCT02041715

Official Title: A Placebo-Controlled, Single-Blind, Single-Ascending Dose Study With Additional Multiple-Ascending Dose Cohorts to Evaluate the Safety, Tolerability, and Pharmacokinetics of TKM-100802 in Healthy Human Volunteers

Ebola Virus Infection
Drug: TKM-100802 for Injection
Drug: Placebo
Phase 1
"This study has suspended participant recruitment."
----------------------------------------

#233 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:33 AM

Nice profit margin ... also, looks like Tekmira, which is a small company, has had this research backed by some of the pharma co "biggies" ... I wonder if Eli Lilly is one of them...

A tale of two Ebola stocks: Chimerix and Tekmira
CNBC, 10/9/2014
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102074164
-------------------------
Tekmira doses first subject in human clinical trial of TKM-Ebola
Biotechnology Focus (Canada), 1/22/2014
http://biotechnology...l-of-tkm-ebola/
Tekmira Pharmaceuticals Corporation has dosed the first subject in a Phase 1 human clinical trial of TKM-Ebola, an anti-Ebola viral therapeutic that is being developed under a US$140 million contract with the U.S. Department of Defense.
--------------------------
Tekmira shares skyrocket as Ebola outbreak intensifies in Africa
Yahoo News, via Reuters, 8/1/2014
http://news.yahoo.co...8--finance.html
-------------------------

#234 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:45 AM

Carleeta, why does the US gov hold a patent on the human ebola virus?

Human Ebola Virus Species and Compositions and Methods Thereof
US 20120251502 A1
http://www.google.co...s/US20120251502

Abstract: Compositions and methods including and related to the Ebola Bundibugyo virus (EboBun) are provided. Compositions are provided that are operable as immunogens to elicit and immune response or protection from EboBun challenge in a subject such as a primate. Inventive methods are directed to detection and treatment of EboBun infection.

FiveNotions, I honestly don't know.  I don't believe we are the only ones which may be holding a patent.  Its not uncommon

#235 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:15 PM

10418929_326151790901203_284848881424641   Right from the CDC..  Its printed out in our lab...

#236 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:32 PM

...and that last comment?? omg...

#237 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:56 PM

True TryinginFl.  What they mean is a huge problem like the one in West Africa.  Just posting everything I get and sharing it with others.  I do believe it will be difficult to catch unless you are truly in close contact with the bodily fluids of an infected ebola individual.  Just praying this doesn't spread any further....

#238 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:46 PM

All this is seriously getting out of control.  It needs to be controlled in West Africa or we might be seeing more of what's going on here in the US.  Glad to see anyone who has now come in contact or close enough, to anyone Ebola, will need to signs papers which include where they are NOT supposed to go.  All individuals who need to watch themselves for 21 days will be given guidelines of where they cannot go.  It's about time the CDC has buckled down on the individuals who are to be isolated for 2 weeks.  Oh my, this is just causing everyone to panic.  As I myself look at individuals wherever I go. Today I went for my pedi and mani, which should have been a positive (it was a bit of a positive) and my nail technician was telling me how worried she is with individuals she has to physically touch daily.  She stated she was very nicely going to let her clients know she is aware of what's happening with Ebola.  She asked me what I thought about this.  I simply explained to watch for flu like symptoms and ask them questions.  She stated that's exactly what she will do.  It seems as these scares in the US have all of us just thinking twice about things and wonder if the person next to you or near you has been in contact with someone who has Ebola or been in contact with someone who has been in contact with someone who has Ebola.....Its getting crazy....

What I didn't mention is the signed papers by individuals who have been exposed to and infected Ebola individual applies only in Texas I believe, and not totally sure if this came from the CDC or the state of Texas itself.  For some reason the guidelines from the CDC differ from state to state. 

#239 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 19 October 2014 - 04:50 PM

FDA actively blocking fast Ebola detection technology in America
http://www.naturalne...nology_FDA.html

#240 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 October 2014 - 05:24 PM

Unbelievable....

But then, why am I surprised? :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users