#1 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:29 AM

Use of Cymbalta decreases alcohol consumption.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/25161814

#2 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

Well, FH, this is quite the "little gem" ... more like a "polished turd" ...

I'm checking to see who funded this research ... both the authors/researchers are at Wake Forest Medical School in NC ... so far, I've found the Eli Lilly has been a major funder of other research that's come out of there ... but I haven't been able to confirm a Lilly connection with  ...

But my bet is that the "turd polisher" is going to turn out to be Lilly...

Will report back ...

#3 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:45 PM

To bad they didn't add those who had stopped drinking a number of years ago and checked to see how many started drinking again after a course of treatment with Crapalta.

I know I was very tempted to drink while taking it and almost did a number of times even though I had not drank in over 20 years.

This just shows that you can twist facts to show whatever you want if you have enough money behind your research.

#4 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

Use of Cymbalta decreases alcohol consumption.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/25161814

wow, i'd hate to  think how much i would have been drinking had i not been on C! 

i told my psych that i drank like a fish while on the C, and that i hadn't told him before was because i was scared about what he'd do (like put me in the hospital) . when he said he's never had any other patients say that they drink more while taking C - i said that's because they're lying! just like i did!

meanwhile my therapist knew all along, and told me that he adds 3 or 4 to every drink someone claims to have had. he loves the premise of the TV show "House" - "Everybody (every patient) lies"

#5 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

Yep, I was about 15 years sober until Cymbalta ... then I started drinking without a single thought about my sobriety ... drank like a fish ... vodka, wine, beer ... and never got a hangover, never thought I had a problem ... oblivious ... the day I went into cold turkey withdrawal I quit drinking ... and I have wanted a drink since then ... I had about 3 Guinness stouts somewhere during the time I was nauseas .. had a sense they'd settle my stomach, and about 1/2 a glass worked fine .. couldn't finish the bottle ...

my cheapo clinic shrink insisted that no one ever told him they had that happen on the poison ... and I didn't tell him about it until I was several months off it ... because I didn't remember I'd been drinking until months afterwards ... that was right around the time I remembered I hadn't filed tax returns for 6 years, and had been doing wild online shopping ... ah, memories   :blink:

Now I drink the occasional Guinness ... in fact, last night I had two ... because a friend took me out to dinner to celebrate the fact I got a job yesterday !!!!! :lol: :D :) B)  (I need to post this in the "positive events" thread ... I've been too excited to be able to get the words out until now !)

#6 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:55 PM

five notions,

YOU GOT A JOB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is such great, awesome, inspiring news! i can hardy wait to hear all about it! 

i know i have to jump into the search big time by November 1st, and learning that you found something gives me hope. i'm not looking for career work or anything, but i know its tough out there regardless. i think getting back into the workforce will be the healthiest thing i can do for myself.

please post the details soon, iill be looking for them! 

i wanted to "like" your post, but for one reason i'm out of them, i don't think i've "liked" anything more than once in the past 24 hours 

#7 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:11 PM

Well, FH, this is quite the "little gem" ... more like a "polished turd" ...

I'm checking to see who funded this research ... both the authors/researchers are at Wake Forest Medical School in NC ... so far, I've found the Eli Lilly has been a major funder of other research that's come out of there ... but I haven't been able to confirm a Lilly connection with ...

But my bet is that the "turd polisher" is going to turn out to be Lilly...

Will report back ..

FN--  You absolutely nailed it!! Check this out:

The research was done by Mary Jane Skelley and Jeff Weiner, Ph. D. through Wake Forest University. Therefore the obvious question which you've asked is who funded it? And yes other research has come out of that shop with Eli Lilly slipping the cash under the table, and/or over the table in the form of generous grants. To wit:

http://divinity.wfu....opment-program/

Eli Lilly dropped a cool half million dollars on Wake Forest University! Of course the school is gonna play nice and deliver whatever size turd is requested!

(Winston-Salem, N.C., February 10, 2014) – Wake Forest University School of Divinity has received a $499,997 grant from Indianapolis-based Lilly Endowment Inc. to strengthen the pastoral and civic leadership of early career clergy.

About Lilly Endowment Inc.

Lilly Endowment Inc. is an Indianapolis-based private philanthropic foundation created in 1937 by three members of the Lilly family — J.K. Lilly Sr. and sons J.K. Jr. and Eli —through gifts of stock in their pharmaceutical business, Eli Lilly & Company.  The Endowment exists to support the causes of religion, education and community development.  Lilly Endowment’s religion grantmaking is designed to deepen and enrich the religious lives of American Christians.  It does this largely through initiatives to enhance and sustain the quality of ministry in American congregations and parishes.  More information can be found at www.lillyendowment.org.

#8 Tinker

Tinker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:57 AM

Congrats FN on your new job, you deserve that guiness or two 😉
Where do they come up with such bs results! I was drinking to the extreme on cymbalta, one bottle of wine in one sitting was the minimum intake for me, even got to the point I was drinking most weekdays too. Did many regretful things during that stage. As soon as I started tapering off instantly so did my need for drink. Really makes me think they are slipping some money under the table to get these patents

#9 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:54 PM

Good Lord, that is just sickening! Great job TM.

#10 BelaLugosisDad

BelaLugosisDad

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:02 PM

Well thanks for the heads up. At least I can tell my children that the reason I turned my life from a full on huggathon with them to a full on drinkathon by myself had nothing to do with Cymbalta.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users