#1 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:
    Trying to cope with withdrawal/discontinuation. Have depression and anxiety since my teens.

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:36 AM

Hi, I'm off the poison for about 7 1/2 weeks. Last week I had a couple days where I thought I was starting to feel a little better. Now the past 2 or 3 days I have this strange feeling, sort of like a numbness, ache and heat mainly going down my arms and legs. Has this happened to anyone else, or am I going crazy?

#2 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:56 AM

Hi Kathy, sounds like yet another serotonin-related symptom ... paresthesia .... you're in good company, it's a relatively common effect ... related to your brain's continued re-wiring and learning to regulative it's own serotonin level ...it won't kill you, just bug the hell out of you ...

several others here have had it / currently have it ... here's a discussion on it that Bryzghoff started

https://www.cymbalta...ia-and-insomnia

This is from an old (2004) research article (I did a "quick & dirty" search, I know there are more recent articles, likely posted elsewhere here, but this'll do for now:

Serotonin reuptake inhibitor induced sensory disturbances
http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC1884649/
"Paresthesias are described by many patients during withdrawal of serotonin reuptake inhibitors . . . and usually present as numbness, tingling, burning, and occasionally ‘electricity-like’ feelings, predominantly in the upper legs and orofacial regions. These symptoms . . . may be exacerbated by movement . . . Paresthesia during withdrawal from serotonin reuptake inhibitors could be due to serotonin receptor supersensitivity."

#3 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:
    Trying to cope with withdrawal/discontinuation. Have depression and anxiety since my teens.

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

Hi FiveNotions,  I knew I would jinx myself by thinking that maybe I was getting better. It helps to know that it's something others have experienced too. I read the discussion you posted and you mentioned tryptophan helping you. Is it safe to take it?  I hope this goes away soon.  :(

#4 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:43 AM

You are getting better ... this numbness/tingling stuff is a pisser, not a killer ... I don't think you should try the amino tryptophan ... Bryzghoff tried it, and had a bad reaction to it ... but she took it at huge doses ... I used tiny amounts, and yes, I believe it helped ... but it requires very very careful research first, and very very careful dosing ... don't try it Kathy, I don't think it's the right thing for you ... don't over-react to the symptoms as they appear ... they come, stay for a while, and then go ... just let your brain continue rewiring itself ... takes time ... frustrating, I know ... but true...

Also, TM, FH and Brzghoff will be arriving to comment on this, I'm sure ...

#5 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

Hi FN, It's hard to believe that I'm getting better. I kind of feel like I'm back to square one. I'm trying not to get upset but I don't like the way this feels and it's upping my anxiety. Thanks for letting me know about the tryptophan, I don't want to have a bad reaction on top of this. It definitely is very frustrating.

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

Kathy, you are at the point that occasional goods (or hours) should start kicking in from time to time. The paresthesia, just like FN said, is uncomfortable but not the worse symptom you have had. Physical symptoms like those tend to fade away slowly over the next 8 weeks or so. What I am looking forward to is your first post that you had a good day. It should be coming soon!!

#7 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

Kathy, you are at the point that occasional goods (or hours) should start kicking in from time to time. The paresthesia, just like FN said, is uncomfortable but not the worse symptom you have had. Physical symptoms like those tend to fade away slowly over the next 8 weeks or so. What I am looking forward to is your first post that you had a good day. It should be coming soon!!

Hi Fishinghat, Last week I had a few days where I thought the symptoms were easing a tiny bit, now I feel like such a fool for thinking that. I hope this doesn't last another couple months or so. Sometimes I get the feeling that I'm burning up inside. I hope that soon I can say that I've had a good day too. Thanks!

#8 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:16 PM

Kathy, I have not felt this numbness nor the brain zapps

At seven and a half week, it is early to be feeling good.

You had a few days of hope, this is the new beginning. You are on your way, slow but getting there. Normal.

As Fh mentioned, a good day may pop up soon, and remember that we have all been or are there.

Progress is not linear. And as TM said, try to accept what you cannot alter. Also, resistance is futile, one of TM s quote.

Almost at eight weeks, and from somewhere, hope emerged for a while. It will be back.
It is not not an easy road to be travelled!

Up to date, I have heard about only one person that has had an easy withdrawal.

And been here for eight months.

Write down your good moments to remember that they happened.

We are here with you, and dont think for one moment, that even though we are at the six, seven or eight months mark that all is easy. Many of us are going through tough times also!

#9 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:26 PM

Kathy, I have not felt this numbness nor the brain zapps

At seven and a half week, it is early to be feeling good.

You had a few days of hope, this is the new beginning. You are on your way, slow but getting there. Normal.

As Fh mentioned, a good day may pop up soon, and remember that we have all been or are there.

Progress is not linear. And as TM said, try to accept what you cannot alter. Also, resistance is futile, one of TM s quote.

Almost at eight weeks, and from somewhere, hope emerged for a while. It will be back.
It is not not an easy road to be travelled!

Up to date, I have heard about only one person that has had an easy withdrawal.

And been here for eight months.

Write down your good moments to remember that they happened.

We are here with you, and dont think for one moment, that even though we are at the six, seven or eight months mark that all is easy. Many of us are going through tough times also!

Hi Gail,  Thanks for your reply.  I guess I thought that by thinking positive last week when I felt a little better I could keep progressing. I feel like such a big baby for complaining, but I'm truly frightened that I'll never feel good again. Of course with the doctor's not believing this can last so long doesn't help. How are you feeling?

#10 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:52 AM

Kathy

You WILL feel good again! These symptoms come in waves-- you're up for a while, then you're down for a while. And as you've probably read, discontinuation symptoms often mimic real ailments and conditions. Physicians are confounded by these symptoms and often recommend another SSRI (most doctors don't believe discontinuation can go on for many months).

Hang in there, and try to find engaging and fulfilling distractions to take your focus off the timeline.

#11 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:49 AM

Kathy, still riding the waves here.
Been trying all sorts of supplements.

Still have the three good days followed by less good ones.
Getting hope on certain supplements then back to square one.

Trying all sorts, but at the end, I believe that only time can get us through this. Only time and faith or hope. And Valium for me, low dose.

Tapering very slowly, could take a long time.

Days of hope, days of despair and so on.

As TM says, no time table here.

#12 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:44 AM

"As TM says, no time table here." One of the most important  things for anyone to remember when going through withdrawal. Even though TM is right I hate him for saying it!!!  lol  lol  lol   Why did God make me to be such an impatient person? That is a rhetorical question. I am not sure I would want to hear the truth!! lol  lol

#13 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:50 PM

Hi, I'm off the poison for about 7 1/2 weeks. Last week I had a couple days where I thought I was starting to feel a little better. Now the past 2 or 3 days I have this strange feeling, sort of like a numbness, ache and heat mainly going down my arms and legs. Has this happened to anyone else, or am I going crazy?

no crazier than the rest of us ! ;-)

those are classic symptoms i've experienced... the numbness, aches and a burning sensation in my arms and hands. i have arthritis, but this is way beyond that. also a serious aching down my sciatic nerve. it alternates - never both legs at once.

i've also experienced a different sensation of paresthesia - like a razor scraping against my shins. it doesn't feel like pain, more an "obsessive" mentally oriented sensation. its bizarre and very upsetting. 

#14 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:28 AM

Hi thismoment,  The numbness and tingling in my arms and legs seems to have settled down a little, for now at least. Every day I wake up afraid to see if I'm going to experience any new symptoms.  My depression and anxiety are really bad and I know I have to be on meds, I'm just so afraid of them now.

Been spending time at my parents and we swimming yesterday. It did help take my mind off this stuff.  Thanks.

#15 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:32 AM

Hi Gail,  I can see now that there is no time table for this. I'm relying on my faith a lot to get through this. Sorry that you're going through this too. I'll keep you in my prayers.

#16 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:36 AM

fishinghat,  I hate it too that we don't know how long this is going to last.  It's normal to be impatient when we're feeling so lousy and the doctor's can't give us any answers except withdrawal shouldn't last this long. God Bless you!

#17 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:42 AM

brzghoff, I'm sure this can make us all a little crazy!  :)   I'm not glad that you have the numbness, burning, ache etc., but at least I know that it's a common symptom. I'm so sorry that you feel like a razor is scraping your shins, I can understand you being very upset. I really hope that goes away soon. What did this stuff do to us!

#18 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:09 PM

Kathy

You might find these helpful.

http://christianity.about.com/od/prayersforspecificneeds/a/copingwithfear.htm

#19 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:45 PM

Kathy, here's one of my favorites ... "Be at Peace," by St. Francis de Sales ... I have it printed out and read it first thing every morning and last thing at night ...

http://www.appleseed...ace_DeSales.htm

#20 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:38 PM

Fishinghat and FiveNotions, Thank you both so very much for posting the links to these prayers. They are very comforting and I appreciate your thoughtfulness so much. :) I have a question. Since I've been going through this withdrawal I've been having some pain in my chest and a racing heart. I just assumed that it was anxiety. Last week I went to my family doctor for a check-up. When I mentioned this to him he did an EKG. The office called a little while ago, they want me to have a stress test. Is it possible that the Cymbalta could cause heart problems?

#21 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:44 PM

Chest pain and a racing heart are produced by excess adrenaline during stress. I have had to deal with that many times in my years of fighting anxiety. The standard protocol for drs is to do an ekg and a sestambi stress test (treadmill).  This is a safety precaution to rule out any heart problems. They are being cautious.

There is no indication that Cymbalta causes heart problems. If you pass the stress test your dr will probably be given a prescription to atenolol to treat this condition. Atenolol is a beta blocker, meaning it blocks adrenaline. In my case my dr put me on 300 mg of magnesium a day and within a week my symptoms were much better. If you wish to wait it out these symptoms they should fade as your withdrawal fades.

#22 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:28 PM

Kathy, those symptoms arrived for me in early June, when the anxiety hit me big time (that's when I started to get chunks of my memory back, and discovered I hadn't filed tax returns for 6 years, had spent thousands doing online shopping, and had been drinking like a fish ...)

I still have them, when the anxiety ratchets up ... it's the excess adrenaline (our "fight / fight / freeze" discussion) .... starts with the stomach "butterflies," and if I don't catch it in time, goes to racing heart and chest pains ... the clonidine is still working well for me ...

The tests your doc ordered are, like FH says, standard protocol. You'll pass with flying colors, I'm sure. (Just be sure to mention to whoever's administering/monitoring them that you've been having anxiety consistently recently.) My cheapo clinic doc didn't bother to send me for any tests ... partly because I told him I was sure it was stress/anxiety, and partly because those tests aren't covered under Medicaid without special authorization, which is more work for the doc.

#23 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:32 PM

Kathy

I certainly hope you don't have heart problems. It sounds, however, like more of the Cymbalta Discontinuation Little Circus of Horrors-- symptoms and syndromes in the Three-Ring Emulating Extravaganza! I was to the doctor many times and to the ER twice. Many symptoms appeared, and I had many tests-- X-rays, MRI, GI gastro tests, two ECG's, retinal examinations, teeth checked-- on and on.

It all just went away.

Take care.

#24 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:19 PM

Chest pain and a racing heart are produced by excess adrenaline during stress. I have had to deal with that many times in my years of fighting anxiety. The standard protocol for drs is to do an ekg and a sestambi stress test (treadmill).  This is a safety precaution to rule out any heart problems. They are being cautious.

There is no indication that Cymbalta causes heart problems. If you pass the stress test your dr will probably be given a prescription to atenolol to treat this condition. Atenolol is a beta blocker, meaning it blocks adrenaline. In my case my dr put me on 300 mg of magnesium a day and within a week my symptoms were much better. If you wish to wait it out these symptoms they should fade as your withdrawal fades.

It helps to know that it's probably anxiety. It's an awful feeling though, thinking you may be having a heart attack. I'm trying not to get too upset over it. Still waiting for the doctor's office to call about the stress test. Thanks fishinghat.

#25 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:28 PM

Kathy, those symptoms arrived for me in early June, when the anxiety hit me big time (that's when I started to get chunks of my memory back, and discovered I hadn't filed tax returns for 6 years, had spent thousands doing online shopping, and had been drinking like a fish ...)

I still have them, when the anxiety ratchets up ... it's the excess adrenaline (our "fight / fight / freeze" discussion) .... starts with the stomach "butterflies," and if I don't catch it in time, goes to racing heart and chest pains ... the clonidine is still working well for me ...

The tests your doc ordered are, like FH says, standard protocol. You'll pass with flying colors, I'm sure. (Just be sure to mention to whoever's administering/monitoring them that you've been having anxiety consistently recently.) My cheapo clinic doc didn't bother to send me for any tests ... partly because I told him I was sure it was stress/anxiety, and partly because those tests aren't covered under Medicaid without special authorization, which is more work for the doc.

Tara, I hate the anxiety so much.  I get a knot in my stomach with the anxiety. Since my bp in low normally, I'm not taking the Clonidine anymore and the benzos have kind of lost their effectiveness. Hydroxyzine doesn't work that well either.

I'm still waiting for the doctor's office to call and set up the appointment for the stress test. When/if I go, I will let them know I have consistent anxiety. I also told my doc that I was sure it's from anxiety. Sorry you weren't able to get any tests, I'm sure it would have helped ease your mind. Doctor's can be idiots. Got in touch with Zach.

#26 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:32 PM

Kathy

I certainly hope you don't have heart problems. It sounds, however, like more of the Cymbalta Discontinuation Little Circus of Horrors-- symptoms and syndromes in the Three-Ring Emulating Extravaganza! I was to the doctor many times and to the ER twice. Many symptoms appeared, and I had many tests-- X-rays, MRI, GI gastro tests, two ECG's, retinal examinations, teeth checked-- on and on.

It all just went away.

Take care.

Thanks tm, I hope I don't have problems with my heart either. We sure don't need any more problems than we already have to deal with. Good way to put it, the Cymbalta Discontinuation Little Circus of Horrors!  I can really understand you going to the doctor and ER and having those tests. It's unbelievable how this is affecting our bodies, but I'm so glad that your symptoms all went away. You take care too.

#27 buntbean2

buntbean2

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • why_joining:
    Help with going off Cymbalta

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:45 AM

I thought the symptoms were easing a tiny bit, now I feel like such a fool for thinking that. I hope this doesn't last another couple months or so. Sometimes I get the feeling that I'm burning up inside. I hope that soon I can say that I've had a good day too. Thanks!

AMEN!!

I ran out of 'likes' already

#28 buntbean2

buntbean2

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:32 AM

Kathy, I'm sorry you're experiencing these things, but this post has helped me and I'm sure many others.  After reading thru this I've calmed down a bit.  I have to keep reminding myself that this IS normal.  It sure doesn't feel normal though!  I'm at 4 weeks off Cymbalta and it's been tough emotionally!  The anxiety and fear is overwhelming and downright scary.  I appreciate FH and 5notions thoughts and prayers.  Faith is the solid base beneath my feet but I feel like that rock is in the middle of a tossing sea right now and boy am I seasick!

#29 buntbean2

buntbean2

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:35 AM

Interesting about the heart.  I had an abnormal EKG while on Cymbalta but an echocardiogram was normal.

#30 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:05 AM

Buntbean2

Was the ekg results during periods of high stress are not unusual. Some of the common arythmias are;

PVS (Preventricular Contractions) which feel like a skipped beat.

Atrial tachycardia - The atriums of the heart beat at a very fast rate, 120 to 200 bpm.

Atrial Fibrillation - The atriums beat are a very erratic pace.

Trigeminal Rhythm A PVC every third beat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users