Photo

Eli Lilly Trying To Create 'supranational Court' With Lawsuit Against Canada, Feds Say

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:47 PM

This company is satanic ... I really mean that....

http://www.huffingto..._n_5596580.html

"Indiana-based Eli Lilly last fall went to the NAFTA arbitration panel and filed a lawsuit for $500 million against the Canadian government, after Canadian courts invalidated two of its drug patents."

Canadian courts in recent years have invalidated two of Lilly’s patents -- one for Zyprexa, an anti-psychotic, and one for Strattera, an attention deficit drug.

Lilly says the courts’ actions have already cost it more than $1 billion, and the company may be forced out of Canada.

#2 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:19 PM

I "like" that post, FN

#3 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:12 PM

Poor Eli Lilly ............... NOT

Why should any country rewrite their laws that protect their citizens to suit a company from another country. Until there is one government for all of North America I just can't see that happening.

#4 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:19 PM

"Lilly says the courts’ actions have already cost it more than $1 billion, and the company may be forced out of Canada."

I doubt if any Canadian tears would be shed, although I do sympathize with those who would lose jobs.

#5 BelaLugosisDad

BelaLugosisDad

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:36 PM

I for one will not be sorry for the reps.

#6 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:43 PM

"I for one will not be sorry for the reps."

Agreed.

The pharmaceutical rep is the consummate fusion of pimp and whore.

(I mean that in the literary sense; while I distain the pimp, I do not intend to disparage the honest, independent practitioners of the World's Oldest Profession.)

#7 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:49 PM

It probably is legal. This situation was torn from the NAFTA chapter of the book of Unintended Consequences. They are taking advantage of the North American Free Trade Agreement signed by the US, Canada and Mexico in 1994.

#8 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:36 PM

Brzghoff, in my previous life as a lawyer (oh, there she goes again with her "back in my day" stories ;) ), my firm was involved in aspects of the development / negotiation of NAFTA . (We were a US firm that did foreign government representation in stuff related to the all three branches of the US government, and we had a tiny piece of NAFTA on behalf of the Mexican government and its negotiations with the US.)

From what I recall (and I have no intention of re-reading NAFTA, it was bad enough at the time), and what I read of this issue, Lilly is making a huge stretch ... and it's a massive test of the limits of NAFTA. I believe that Lilly is ignoring the intent of NAFTA and is using it, twisting it, for their own purposes (but of course :angry:) ... I would just love to find out how much Lilly is spending on lawyers, and what firms they're using. (Hmmm... maybe I'll see what I can sniff out :ph34r:)

Canada simply must win this. Not just because it may "break" Lilly in Canada, but because it would "break" aspects of NAFTA and would allow other corporations to misuse the law for their own profits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users