• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 gapeach

gapeach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:57 PM

Hey folks, first let me say how glad I am I found this forum!  I have been reading your post on how to start the 'weaning' process which is entirely different than what my Dr. told me to do.  Anyway, after reading the beading process I started that this morning.  I have been on 60mg for approximately 7-8 years for peri menopause symptoms.  Then stayed on it due to anxiety and aches and pains from arthritis.  The only other prescription med I am taking is Metanx.  I ingest 2 drops daily of Copaiba, an essential oil, that I am trying due to a high C-Reactive protein level. Besides that, my heath is just great!  haha

Any guidance, support, feedback, concerns, would be greatly appreciated!

#2 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:03 PM

Hi GaPeach, welcome !

You're on the same dose of crapalta, and for the same length of time that I was.

But you're quitting sensibly, with bead counting. I quit cold turkey (had to, insurance issues), and went from 60 to 0 in one day. Really dumb. Really really hard. :blink: :wacko:

When you say you started this morning, do you mean removing beads? If so how many? And, are you taking the brand or the generic?

Since I did cold turkey, I'll let the others here who know about bead counting give you the specifics.

Do you have anything on hand to manage the anxiety that may arrive at some point?

Bravo for your decision to get off the poison, and to do it the best way!

#3 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:50 AM

gapeach

Hi and welcome.

As FN asked, what withdrawal regimen do you have in mind? You have been exposed long-term and weaning off slowly is the way to go.

If you go very slowly, the symptoms could be very minimal. The strength of the symptoms will guide you as to whether you are weaning too fast.

How you will tolerate the symptoms will dictate the timeline, so don't be tempted to chain yourself to a fixed length of withdrawal. Be flexible and don't suffer. As FN mentioned, have something on the shelf as-needed for anxiety-- any benzo will do.

Talk to us.

#4 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:45 PM

Hi Peach;) glad you found this forum too! Happy to hear you have read posts here of how to wean off using the bead counting method.
Smart lady;) I hope you will keep posting and let us know how you are doing with the sensible plan of weaning off slowly...too many sad stories here of those of us who either chose, or had to because of various reasons, to cold turkey or cliff dive off this nasty drug:(

Be good to yourself and keep the faith...You can do this!

#5 gapeach

gapeach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:57 PM

Thanks to all of you for responding so quickly and giving me a place to come for support!  FN, I meant I started bead counting.  I have been on Cymbalta the entire time until  6 months ago, when  they (my insurance) switched my prescription to Duloxetine HCL DR, the maker is TEVA. 

Yesterday,  I removed 5 beads yesterday and today just 8.  I have had just a small headache today so I will probably remove 10 beads tomorrow.  I'll take it slow and listen to my body.  As far as something for anxiety, well, I am really into Essential Oils and have bought  several different oils that are suppose to be very helpful for anxiety.  If those fail me then I will buy some benzo.  I was worried when I read a post from one of you that talked about how Cymbalta can hide in fat cells for years. I am a chunky girl (but really cute, lol), 5'2, 220 lbs so I am concerned about the drug hiding in my fat cells for a long time BUT, I can do this!!!  Let's hope I stay this optimistic :)

Again, thank you for helping me on this journey.  I am not going to kid myself about how hard it is going to be.  I'll keep posting to let you know how things are going. 

#6 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:55 PM

Welcome, Peach!

You have joined a wonderful group of people here!  I wish that I had found this place before I was 2 weeks into cold turkey - definitely not the right way to go :(

Happy to hear that you are bead counting and just listen to your body - it will tell you if you are doing ok or need to slow down.  Remember to be kind to yourself - this isn't a race and you need to take your time and feel as well as possible through this process. 

The best of luck to you and please keep us updated as to your progress! :)

#7 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:10 PM

Hey Peach,

How many beads are in the Teva generic? It's fewer than in the brand, so just remember that each of the teva beads contains a bigger dose of the crapalta... so you may want to take out fewer beads ... over wait longer between removing them ... and, folks here experience a harder time the lower their dose goes... so, as TM suggested, just adjust your beads and time between removing them to accommodate how you feel ...

(I really have no business telling anyone anything about bead counting ... I'm just repeating wisdom from others here who have experience with that approach ... I quit cold turkey ... hit the wall like a crash-test dummy  :wacko: :blink:

I'm glad you're getting off Cymbalta, especially because it's the Teva generic. Teva doesn't have a good track record with it's generics. A lot of people are reporting adverse reactions to the Teva generic of crapalta ... I was one of them ... had a horrid adverse reaction to it last December... part of the reason I quit altogether ...Teva also made the generic of Wellbutrin that was taken of the market a year or two ago. That stuff put me in the hospital ... twice. Back when it happened, the docs didn't believe me when I said I was sure it was the generic that made me sick. :angry:

#8 gapeach

gapeach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:27 PM

Well, FN, I started counting the beads last night and by the time I got to 30 my ADD kicked in and I stopped  :wacko: .  I am guessing about 150-175. That is interesting about the Teva generic.  I could tell almost right off the bat that I was not getting the same benefit from the generic that I was getting from the brand.  When I mentioned to my Dr his response was 'I don't know why because it's the same, just generic!'  Seeing how I trusted my Dr at the time, I thought maybe it was just all in my head.  I remember when Wellbutrin coming off the market, I hate you had such trouble with it. The pharmacies should be held more accountable for the crap they put in meds without giving us all the info first!  Ridiculous.

#9 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:32 PM

We've talked about the difference in these generics here before ... the short version of it is that even though the generic has the same recipe for the actual med/drug (well, it's supposed to), the issue is most often that the ingredients in the pill coating/skin aren't the same ... that, and there's no way to be 100% identical in manufacturing processing as a whole ... and, a third factor ... a lot of these generics are being made in India, various South American countries, Mexico, and ... I just learned this when checking on Wellbutrin XL for CymSik ... Turkey ... quality control ain't exactly a strong suit of any of those countries ... :blink:

The Turkish generic of Wellbutrin is being sold in Canada, and is now making a lot of people sick as dogs... big issue there ... expect a major lawsuit...

Yep, truly a good thing you're getting off ... its a "crappy" version of "crapalta" :P

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:30 AM

To add to what FN said...The time release system that the brand name uses is patented so the companies manufacturing the generic can not use it. This also probably does not allow for the same delivery rate as the brand name.

#11 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:10 AM

oops ... thanks for adding that, FH ... that's a key element of the generic issue ...

#12 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:15 AM

oops ... thanks for adding that, FH ... that's a key element of the generic issue ...

No problem FN. With as late as you stay up posting it is probably too early in the morning for you!!  :D

#13 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:19 AM

I post at those hours due to my "old fart bladder." Always try to check in on the forum on my way back from the bathroom ... makes me feel a bit more productive, in terms of something other than urine :P

#14 gapeach

gapeach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:44 AM

LOL, thank you for the good chuckle this morning!!! FN, I felt bad about not knowing how many beads were in my capsules so I counted them last night.  Let's just say, I would not win a 'how many gumballs are in the bucket' contest :(  There were 322 in the capsule I counted, not the 150-175 I initially guessed. 

I had a small headache last night and this morning, my body is aching.  Nothing I can't live with but I think my body is saying to slow down on the number of beads I'm taking out.  Do you agree or should I push it a little more?

#15 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:01 AM

heheh ... love the "gumball guessing" image, Peach!

Nope, don't "keep pushing" ... your body's telling you to slow down a bit ... you clearly already know how to "listen" to your body ... stick with that, and you're going to get through this just fine ... and, based on the relatively "low level" symptoms you're having, this is another very good sign.

Also, can't remember if we asked you already ... don't see it above, so will do so now ... are you taking the basic vitamins and supplements? multi-vitamin, B-complex, omega 3 and chelated magnesium? Most of us here take/took them ...

except you must be sure to check to see if any of the other meds you're taking interact with the magnesium... FH posted an article on this recently ... over in the "Cymbalta in the news" forum. (That's where we put all of our "researchy" stuff for lack of a better place.) I'll get that link and post it here ...

Also, drink lots of fluids ... water's the best ... but also herb teas. And, get as much rest/sleep/naps as you can ... if you feel tired, again, listen to your body.

Here's the link to the magnesium info ... I was amazed, didn't have any idea that it could interact with other meds... luckily, I'm not taking any of the meds listed, but, be sure to check just in case...

https://www.cymbalta...with-some-meds/

Edited by FiveNotions, 18 September 2014 - 10:02 AM.

#16 gapeach

gapeach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:30 AM

FN, thanks for the link, interesting information.  I am not taking any other medication except for Metanx.  I have been taking Omega 3's, B12's but no multi-vitamin's or magnesium.  What dosage and/or brand of chelated magnesium would you recommend?

#17 gapeach

gapeach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:19 PM

Just thought I would check in today.  I am having a little more anxiety today and pressure in my head.  I slept pretty good last night but woke up early this morning and had a little hard time going back to sleep.  I'm sticking to the same amount of beads right now and won't remove more until my body gets use to this dosage.  I'm really disappointed in the amount of anxiety I had today.  It hit kind of hard but I think I have been doing ok keeping it in check.  So far, I haven't chewed anyone out :)

#18 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:37 PM

Happy to hear from you Peach!  Yep, sleep is one of the hardest things to come by - I still have a hard time with it even after the 8 1/2 months!

If the anxiety gets to be too much (I suffered from it terribly), you can take a benzo, such as Xanax, Valium or whatever you might have around.  If you don't have anything I suggest you call your Dr. and get something "just in case".  It can be terrifying and it sneaks up on you.  :angry:

You are being wise in holding at your current dosage until you feel stable - this is where you have the advantage.  Take as long as you need and don't be in a hurry - your body will keep you updated as when it is best to drop a little again.

You're doing a great job - keep up the good work and please keep us posted :)

#19 gapeach

gapeach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:04 PM

Thank you TL :)  I cannot imagine how you have been able to handle this for 8 1/2 months. I can see this getting old fast and to think you have already done it this long, just seems like it would wear you down after awhile.  Way to hang in there!

Thanks for the encouragement!

#20 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:15 PM

Thank you TL :)  I cannot imagine how you have been able to handle this for 8 1/2 months. I can see this getting old fast and to think you have already done it this long, just seems like it would wear you down after awhile.  Way to hang in there!

Thanks for the encouragement!

it got old the first 15 minutes i was off the C ;-)

#21 gapeach

gapeach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:51 PM

Hey everyone, just thought I would check in today and give you an update.  I am doing really well and have not had any adverse effects.  I have been sticking with only taking 12 pellets out of the capsule but since I have been doing good these last few days, thought I might go with 2 less tomorrow, for a total of 14.  Would you agree or do you think it's too soon and I should wait a few more days?

Thanks!

#22 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 22 September 2014 - 01:06 PM

That's a great progress report, GP! How many days have you been at the 12?

#23 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 September 2014 - 01:11 PM

I think it is a good idea depending (as FN says, how long it has been since your last drop.

#24 gapeach

gapeach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:40 PM

So sorry for the delay in responding...I was on the 12 beads for 3 days and now I'm up to 30 beads.  Three days seem to be working for me as far as getting my body use to the change.  I have had two bad episodes, one was late last week and the other was Sunday.  Late last week, my anxiety was WAY up!  I got overwhelmed with some issues going on with my mom.  I was hanging out with friends and when they start questioning me about my mom, I just snapped and chewed their heads off.  It's weird, it's like I knew I was wrong for the way I was behaving but in the same instance I felt justified. It was a constant battle to keep my anger and anxiety at bay, at least the best I could.  Needless to say, I spent most of the evening apologizing.  I had already warned them that I was weaning myself off Cymbalta so my anxiety level might be higher than usual.  Sunday, wasn't as bad as Thursday but, thankfully, I was alone so I was able to regroup easier.   I have been doing better.  The key is to go slow and listen to your body.  Comments I have seen you guys say a lot in other post :)

You know, I knew this was a powerful drug but wow I can say it honestly scared me last week.  I have had anxiety before but absolutely nothing close to what I experience Thursday evening.  Thank goodness for good friends that knew what I was going through!!

I couldn't wait to get on here and give you another update :)  I don't know what I would do without somebody to talk to that understands what I'm going through!

#25 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:09 PM

Do you have a benzo on hand, GaPeach? If not, get one ... and don't hesitate to use it ...

Also, of course we understand ... totally ... the emotional ups and downs, the mood swings, can happen in an instant ... we all have experienced that ... luckily, friends, if they're true friends, will understand ... apologize, explain that you're getting off a very strong drug that affects the CNS, and that the moods are from the drug leaving your brain ... and are not the real you ...

Keep us posted, regularly ... the more you talk about what you're experiencing, the better ...

Just remember, this is ALL due to your brain trying to rewire itself to regulate its own serotonin ... the drop in serotonin is the cause of every single one of the symptoms and the feelings/emotions .... you're inside your body, watching/experiencing it do stuff you have zero control over ...

Unless someone has actually been through this process, they have no understanding of what it's like ...

Hang in there ... and, maybe you need to slow down the tapering a bit ?

#26 gapeach

gapeach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:15 PM

GL, I do not have any benzo but I will definitely get some this evening. Thanks for the reminder!   I am going to takey your advice and slow down the process.  Isn't it crazy that when we feel so good and think we're doing great that is when we decide it's time to remove more beads and the results is it makes us crazy???  Lesson learned here.  I should have known better!

You are right about 'unless someone has actually been through this process, they have no understanding of what it's like'. My friends are proud of me for doing this and that I am trying to fight through the mood swings.  They have told me that they are impressed that I recognize it and that I try to fight it even when I'm not winning. 

Oh, one good thing I have noticed, my head is starting to clear up and think more clearly.  I'm starting to feel the circuits sparking again in stead of feeling like they have shorted out! yay!

Again, as usual, thank you for your help and encouragement! I couldn't do this without all of y'alls advice!

#27 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:20 PM

Gapeach. Thank you for keeping us informed on your progress. Please continue to shoot out a post and update us. Your post are not only important to us, but to other guests who are reading through the forum. Good luck!

#28 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:59 PM

GaPeach ... wow .... "my head is starting to clear up and think more clearly. I'm starting to feel the circuits sparking again in stead of feeling like they have shorted out!"

Isn't that the most incredible feeling ... noticing that your mind is starting to clear ... welcome back to the world, GP! You are officially entering a new phase in your recovery !! :D

Keep posting to let us know your progress ... and, maybe pop over to Carleeta's "positive events" thread ... this news is definitely "positive"!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users