#1 Neesee

Neesee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • why_joining:
    Research/help for weaning off Cymbalta/Duloxetine

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:12 AM

You aren't supposed to drink grapefruit juice while taking Cymbalta, because it changes how your body metabolizes it and increases the risk of Serotonin Syndrome, but I'm wondering what effects, good or bad, it can have while weaning yourself off. Has anyone done any research or had any experience with this?

#2 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:16 AM

Neesee,

I can't help you here - I have never liked grapefruit juice, so never drink it! :(

#3 Neesee

Neesee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • why_joining:
    Research/help for weaning off Cymbalta/Duloxetine

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:20 AM

It was my absolute favorite drink on hot days, I can't wait to start drinking it again

#4 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:21 AM

You aren't supposed to drink grapefruit juice while taking Cymbalta, because it changes how your body metabolizes it and increases the risk of Serotonin Syndrome, but I'm wondering what effects, good or bad, it can have while weaning yourself off. Has anyone done any research or had any experience with this?

i never knew that although i am aware it affects absorption with other drugs. but i looked it up and you are right! it actually increases the rate of absorption - which is what would put you at risk for serotonin syndrome. i love grapefruit juice, i have two trees in my yard, but never noticed a problem. no racing heart, anxiety  or other symptoms of SS. i had high BP  but then even without the grapefruit - during the off season, i had the high BP. 

#5 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:47 PM

Neesee, stay clear of it until you're well off the crapalta. I posted an article about it somewhere here early this spring. I've got to go grocery shopping now (Lord give me the strength), but I'll find it when I get home and post the link in this thread for you.

That was a bummer for me, too, as grapefruit is / was my favorite juice, and one of my favorite fruits.

#6 scaredconfusedtx

scaredconfusedtx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:25 AM

Crapp, did know that I eat and drink grapefruit at lease twice a week Exempt this month dealing with this heavy turkey on my back all I been able to keep down is toast, saltin crackers, and CLASSIC COKE my bestie these pass weeks. I wanna know now to grapefruit or not? Playing it safe just gonna wait a while.

#7 jenny867

jenny867

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:18 AM

I think we would have to know more, like how much grapefruit juice has the potential to increase the levels in your system, depending on dose, other medications, etc.

All I can tell you is YOU DO NOT WANT TO EXPERIENCE SEROTONIN SYNDROME. I did about two months ago. My neurologist prescribed migraine meds without double checking what I was already taking, and there was a known life-threatening reaction between the two (the medicine is rizatriptan, for those who are wondering). I had hallucinations for the entire night where I thought my boyfriend was satan, but at the same time Dave Navarro, I woke up in fits of severe coughing throughout the night because I would stop breathing in my sleep, I was running an extremely hot fever, but not the kind that you can take advil or tylenol to bring down, and as a result of the fever and the hallucinations I thought hell was in my room (I also hallucinated glittering black and red burning sand everywhere, covering everything). While the hallucinations themselves weren't scary, I was unable to communicate ANY of this to my boyfriend. I lost the ability to speak, and he just got frustrated with me and went to sleep and ignored me. I could have died. For the next several days I felt like I'd been hit by a Mac truck, and had to take benzodiazapenes to control the fevers (overactivity in muscles) - I felt like I was on fire from the inside and then would swing into cold chills, I had severe mood swings, I cried at the drop of a hat and just felt more miserable than I ever had in my life, pretty much. The aftermath was terrifying.

#8 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:52 AM

jenny867

Hi. I understand what you are going through. SS is probably more common than reported. The benzos, plenty of fluids (sometimes IV), and rest is about all you can do. 

It will fade with time.

Sorry, wish I could help.

#9 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:22 AM

I can not find anything in the medical literature that indicates a problem In addition the drug/food interaction checker on Drug.com lists the combination as safe. For what it is worth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users