• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Peace1976

Peace1976

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:45 AM

Hi, I am new here and I am new to cymbalta. I have only taken it for 5 days (10mg, 20mg, 30 mg, 30mg and 30 mg). I hate the side effects and I am terrified with the withdrawal stories so I decided to quit. Can I just stop cold turkey after 5 days? When should I expect withdrawal symptoms to start? When can I know I am out of the woods?

Thank you

Peace

#2 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:18 AM

Peace, welcome to the forum,

It has not had the time to build up.
I don't expect that you will have withdrawal symptoms, if so, very minor.
Good thing that it is just five days, at low dosage.
Go for it!

#3 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:19 AM

Hi Peace, welcome!

Only on it for 5 days, and already having side effects ... wow, I am so sorry! You've clearly made a very, very wise decision to get off this stuff!

Supposedly, Cymbalta takes 2-3 weeks to get ramped up and effective in the system, so "typically" a person "should" be able to just stop taking it after such a short period of time and not have problems... you seem to be extremely sensitive to the stuff, however ... not "seem" ... are definitely!

Cymbalta has a short half-life ... 12 hours ... so, if you're going to have withdrawal symptoms, you'll know within a day or two at the most ... and, even if you do, you may find that they're not that bad, and that you can work through them ...

You could give it a try, and just stop taking it altogether... if you don't have symptoms, wonderful, you're off the stuff!

and, if you do get hit with symptoms that are more than you feel you can work through, you could then just reinstate and get stable, then bead count your way down (open the capsule and remove a few (or just 1) bead per day or every few days until you're off of it ...

or, you could decide to bead count from the "git go" ... that's approach we recommend for almost everyone ... but most folks have been on it longer than 5 days when they decide to get off ...

The one thing certain is that the longer you stay on this, especially given that you're already feeling lousy while on it just a few days, the harder it'll be to get off ...

Another of our long-time members, Fishinghat, may be able to add to what I've said ...

Whatever you decide to do, we'll do our best to help you ... please let us know and keep us posted!

#4 Peace1976

Peace1976

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:05 AM

Thank you guys for the encouragement. it has been almost 30 hours and so far so good. Fingers crossed!

As for e side effects: apart from the expected nausea, constipation, insomnia and lack of appetite, I was also getting lots of sensory symptoms: couldn't quite focus my eyes, horrible crawling feeling in my legs and the most disgusting burning metallic taste in my mouth.

I have been through benzo withdrawal, I am absolutely traumatized with psychiatric drugs. What was I thinking giving cymbalta a try?!

Thanks again and I will keep you posted,

Peace

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:56 PM

Keep the faith Peace. You got some good advice from these folks. You should be alright.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users