#31 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:06 PM

FYI: red yeast rice is a natural source of lovastatin and there is a potential for it to be hard on the kidneys

Thank you very much brzghoff. I had the allergic reaction to the other three statins they tried on me so I will use extra caution with this. I will start up slowly. I owe you one B.

Thanks again.

#32 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:09 PM

LH - I have ate a 'starvation diet' for a long time. My stomach is use to it but my brain isn't. lol

#33 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:06 PM

OK, I screwed up. The three drugs I had allergic reactions to were fibrates not statins. My bad.

#34 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:14 AM

FYI: red yeast rice is a natural source of lovastatin and there is a potential for it to be hard on the kidneys

Red yeast rice is illegal to be sold in the USA. There has been too much research linking it to kidney damage (one gold star to B) and too many interactions with other meds.

On the flip side krill oil is rated safe and nearly as effective as omega-3 capsules.

On a lighter note, (he said sarcastically), I will have a colonoscopy in about 2 weeks to check out the 3 "suspicious" areas found on my colon. I will also have a followup ultrasound on my kidneys and bladder to see if the 3 cysts in that area have shown any increase in size. The 4 cysts on my livcer have been ruled as benign due to comparison with an early 2013 CT scan. See what happens when you don't drink, smoke or do illegal drugs?!!!   lol

#35 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:17 PM

Fishinghat,

Had two coloscopies, last one in June. The good side of having one is the feeling of wellness you get afterwards that lasts for the rest of the day.

I don't know what drugs they use, but I sure would like to feel like that every day!

Good news as for the liver cysts. I can just imagine what it would be like if you smoked and drank! Not a pretty picture!♥

#36 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:19 PM

FH

"See what happens when you don't drink, smoke or do illegal drugs?!!!   lol"

Maybe it's time to start.

#37 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:22 PM

FH

"See what happens when you don't drink, smoke or do illegal drugs?!!!   lol"

Maybe it's time to start.

I would TM but I am too cheap!! :D

#38 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:45 PM

Red yeast rice is illegal to be sold in the USA. There has been too much research linking it to kidney damage (one gold star to B) and too many interactions with other meds.

On the flip side krill oil is rated safe and nearly as effective as omega-3 capsules.

On a lighter note, (he said sarcastically), I will have a colonoscopy in about 2 weeks to check out the 3 "suspicious" areas found on my colon. I will also have a followup ultrasound on my kidneys and bladder to see if the 3 cysts in that area have shown any increase in size. The 4 cysts on my livcer have been ruled as benign due to comparison with an early 2013 CT scan. See what happens when you don't drink, smoke or do illegal drugs?!!!   lol

actually red yeast rice became legal again for sale in US in 2011, you can get it here: http://www.amazon.co...sl_2a7fezvi66_e

hope this doesn't get flagged as spam

as for your issues and clean living, sounds like the all clear to re-establish my youthful indiscretions - except they all cause me serious anxiety - never did while on the C or before it. 

#39 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 January 2015 - 01:35 PM

Thanks for the update B. It is back on the list!!

#40 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 January 2015 - 01:42 PM

The FDA has warned against buying red yeast rice from 3 internet companies which had added dangerous ingredients to their product.

Red Yeast Rice and Red Yeast Rice/Policosonal Complex, sold by Swanson Healthcare Products, Inc. and manufactured by Nature’s Value Inc. and Kabco Inc., respectively; and Cholestrix, sold by Sunburst Biorganics. FDA testing revealed the products contain lovastatin, the active pharmaceutical ingredient in Mevacor, a prescription drug approved for marketing in the United States as a treatment for high cholesterol.

http://www.fda.gov/N...7/ucm108962.htm

#41 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 January 2015 - 01:50 PM

Wikipedia has a good description of the history of the red yeast rice legal issue. Basically any red yeast product which contains lovastatin (monacolin) violates a compny patient and can not be sold in the USA.

"The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) position is that red yeast rice products that contain monacolin K, i.e., lovastatin, are identical to a drug and, thus, subject to regulation as a drug. In 1998, the FDA initiated action to ban a product (Cholestin) containing red yeast rice extract. The U.S. District Court in Utah allowed the product to be sold without restriction. This decision was reversed on appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals. (Moore, 2001) (see Further Reading: PDRhealth). Thereafter, the FDA sent Warning Letters to companies selling red yeast rice. The product disappeared from the market for a few years.

In 2003, red yeast rice products began to reappear in the U.S. market. In 2007, the FDA sent Warning Letters to two dietary supplement companies. One was making a monacolin content claim about its RYR product and the other was not, but the FDA noted that both products contained monacolins. Both products were withdrawn.[8][9] The FDA also issued a warning press release (see Further Reading; FDA 2007). The crux of the release was that consumers should "…not buy or eat red yeast rice products…may contain an unauthorized drug that could be harmful to health." The rationale for "…harmful to health…" was that consumers might not understand that the dangers of monacolin-containing red yeast rice might be the same as those of prescription statin drugs.

As of 2010, there are at least 30 brands available. Many of these avoid the FDA restriction by not having any appreciable monacolin content. Their labels and websites say no more than "fermented according to traditional Asian methods" or "similar to that used in culinary applications." The labeling on these products often says nothing about cholesterol. If they do not contain lovastatin, do not claim to contain lovastatin, and do not make a claim to lower cholesterol, they are not subject to FDA action. Two reviews confirm that the monacolin content of red yeast rice dietary supplements can vary over a wide range, with some containing negligible monacolins.[10][11]"

#42 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 January 2015 - 01:58 PM

Here is some FDA legal actions taken in 2014 against companies who are selling red yeast rice with lovastatin in it.

http://www.fda.gov/s...s/ucm402615.htm

http://www.accessdat...282014&lang=eng

http://www.fda.gov/i...4/ucm396822.htm

#43 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:30 PM

The FDA has warned against buying red yeast rice from 3 internet companies which had added dangerous ingredients to their product.

Red Yeast Rice and Red Yeast Rice/Policosonal Complex, sold by Swanson Healthcare Products, Inc. and manufactured by Nature’s Value Inc. and Kabco Inc., respectively; and Cholestrix, sold by Sunburst Biorganics. FDA testing revealed the products contain lovastatin, the active pharmaceutical ingredient in Mevacor, a prescription drug approved for marketing in the United States as a treatment for high cholesterol.

http://www.fda.gov/N...7/ucm108962.htm

not sure, but i thought lovastatin naturally occurred in RYR - maybe not? i knew about the lawsuit concerning the "violation" of a "patented" ingredient, but if it occurs naturally - how can they do that? while not quite the same, it sounds similar to when GMO rice pollinated nearby non-gmo rice farms and monsanto sued the non gmo farmers for not destroying the resulting gmo seed due to the illegal acquisition of monsanto's patented seed. they won, then appealed and then monsanto lost.

#44 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:17 PM

I read some of the "manufacturer's" websites. It appears that there are two or more fungus's that can be involved in the production of red yeast rice. There are several strains of each fungus. Some produce lovastatin and some don't. I am trying to find some real research articles on the production of red yeast rice and see what reality is. I will let you know what I find out.

By the way I found out in my reading that statins are not recommended for someone like me. Yes it lowers triglycerides but it also lowers cholesterol. My cholesterol is usually on the low side of normal.

#45 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:24 PM

This sheds some light on it.

What are the different preparations of red yeast rice?

There are three major preparations of red yeast rice:

1. Zhitai,
  2. Cholestin or Hypocol, and
  3. Xuezhikang.
Zhitai

Zhitai is produced by the fermentation of a mixture of different strains of Monascus purpureus on whole grain rice. Zhitai contains mainly rice and yeast, but is mostly rice by weight.

Cholestin or HypoCol

Cholestin or HypoCol is produced by the fermentation of selected strains of Monascus purpureus, using a proprietary process that produces a certain concentration of monacolin K (monacolin K is lovastatin, which is believed to be the major cholesterol-lowering ingredient).

Xuezhikang

Xuezhikang is produced by mixing the rice and red yeast with alcohol and then processing it to remove most of the rice gluten. Xuezhikang contains 40% more cholesterol-lowering ingredients than Cholestin or Hypocol.

#46 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:27 PM

If anyone decides to try red yeast rice be sure the product it certifies to be citrinic acid (citrine) free. Citrine is a very toxic byproduct of red yeast rice production.

#47 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 05:06 PM

thanks for all the follow up research - this helps any and all of us who may find ourselves in a similar situation. had a neighbor years ago who had high triglycerides and low overall cholesterol - skinny as a rail. he told his doc he had no idea what he could be eating that would have created the result. his wife told the doc he ate a 1/2 gallon of ice cream a day. not saying that is your situation at all - i just loved the story. 

#48 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:28 PM

Whoa, I opened up a can of worms on my RYR suggestion, sorry! In my case, the number don't lie on the lab work so I figure if I took Cym for 10 years, the is the least of my problems;). I take Jarrow Formula RYR with COQ10 in it. Maybe the combo of that and the Nutrigold Omega 3's & Source Naturals Magnesium Malate were contributing factors. I don't trust the FDA period! Cymbalta kicked my ass with a host of unhealthy, awful side effects and it is still on the market with no ban in site! I'm just saying;)

Thanks for the research, FH! Your the best;). Hope all turns out benign and no problems with your upcoming colonoscopy.

Also, I just switched from Omega 3's to Viva Labs Krill Oil out of curiosity comparing the two! I'm taking more supps than I ever have in my life since getting off the crap along with other damaging rx's!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users