Photo

Article: Duloxetine-Induced Hypomania: Case Report And Brief Review Of The Literature On Snri-Induced Mood Switching

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:09 AM

I think someone here was diagnosed as bipolar while on Cymbalta... Bryzghoff?

Duloxetine-induced hypomania: case report and brief review of the literature on SNRIs-induced mood switching [abstract only]
J Psychopharmacoly July 2009

Abstract: [paragraphs added for easier reading]

Manic switching during antidepressant treatment has been reported with every class of antidepressant drugs.

Serotonin-noradrenaline reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) have been increasingly used for the treatment of unipolar and bipolar depression and are well tolerated and sufficiently effective because of their dual mechanism of action.

A case of duloxetine-induced hypomania in a non-bipolar patient is presented, and a brief review of all cases of SNRIs’ induced mania and hypomania has been carried out.

The available data suggest that SNRIs, especially venlafaxine, can induce mood switching in patients with bipolar depression and in certain patients with unipolar depression, but the potential of duloxetine and milnacipran to induce manic or hypomanic symptoms cannot be disregarded.

Switching appears to be dose-related and treatment initiation with lower doses and upward titration when needed may be preferable in selected cases and may help minimizing the risk of mood switching.

#2 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:27 PM

yes, velafaxine/effexor F$%# me up good! it triggered a hypomanic response. just like your article says! i had been on it for about 3 months. no other drugs of any kind. i had about 2-3 weeks of feeling really good, very energetic, probably full of myself, but was a super performer at work during that time. however it then deteriorated into serious rage issues. thats when my doc decided right then and there i was bipolar and added depakote to the mix. what a nightmare/ i walked around like a zombie for 6 years. in 2004 doc switched me to cymbalta and lamictal. i am totaly convinced now i am NOT bipolar it was due to effexor. anti-d induced mania is NOT criteria for bipolar. while anti d's can trigger mania in a bipolar, if it is only anti ds that trigger it and not anything else ever, then it is not a bipolar condition. there has to be a history of other triggers. ant-d's, can trigger a manic episode in anyone. 

never had any manic reaction to the C on it or after, i've been on a mood stabilizer the whole time.

if i could, i'd quit the lamictal now, but it would be too much while still dealing with anxiety.

the whole effexor thing causing me to be dx'd as bipolar makes me furious. 

• FiveNotions likes this

#3 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:29 AM

Try having a very mild form of Bipolar and not know it and get put on Cymbalta and see what happens.

I now have Bipolar with Mixed Episodes, Rapid Cycling and Depression all with Anxiety just to add some spice

WOO FRICKING HOO

#4 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:20 PM

Hey, LadyNancy;) Were you on any other a-d's before and/or after the Cym experiment? That sounds awful 'mixed episodes, rapid cycling and depression all with anxiety.'
  • TryinginFL likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users