#31 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:41 PM

Oh TFL and Wagtail, you are a couple jewels.

#32 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:48 PM

We only speak the truth, FH! :)

#33 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:00 PM

Well as Carleeta would say "YYiipppeee". I saw the colorectal surgeon today. He review the ct scan of the thickened colon walls and said it was probably due to either my irritable bowel flair up I was having at the time or diverticulitis. Colon cancer can start this way but develops extremely slowly taking 5 to 10 years to develop into cancer once the wall thickening or polyp starts to form. I had a clear colonoscopy 2 years ago. He said that with the symptoms I had it was most probably diverticulitis and has probably cleared by now. I have to go back in one month to take a barium enema (yummy, NOT). I said why not now and he said that it takes that long to form scar tissue where the diverticulitis occurred. The barium enema will show any scar tissue.

I want to thank everyone for their prayers and well wishes. He was listening (as always).

#34 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:23 PM

FH,

I am so happy to hear this!!  I just knew you would be OK - Yep, they all worked!! :)

#35 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:00 PM

"Yippppeeeee!"

#36 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:16 PM

oh, fh, this is wonderful news! I am so thrilled reading your recent update. My, you have moved mountains in so many of your physical and mental challenges! God bless you, dear soul;)

#37 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:37 PM

Wonderful news FH, what a relief!

Now, what about those three neurones? ♥♥♥

#38 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:06 PM

Got tears in my eyes, a big smile on my face, and gratitude in my heart, FishingHat ! Such wonderful news !

And who'da' ever thunk it ... being told you have diverticulitis is good news  .... :P

#39 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:21 PM

talk about a mood lifter! that is such great news. i am so happy for you.

every breath is a gift. each a new possibility!

#40 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:27 PM

Well gang I went to see my endocrinologist about my kidney pain today. He check me over and said he thought it was kidney pain and was probably from an infection or a very small kidney stone. As someone mentioned to me in another thread, cat scans do not pick up kidney stones effectively. My dr said the same thing. He ordered a urinalysis this morning for microscopic traces of blood in the urine (indicating a kidney stone) and also a urine culture. The culture will take a couple days but the UA is back already. Normal is 0 - 4. Mine was 2. So far so good. My white blood cell count in the urine was 2 also. Normal 0 - 5. This indicates but does not prove there is no infection. So far so good.

#41 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:46 AM

glad to hear that its more "good news" although i guess its tempered with the fact that a stone may be involved. of course, pain is never good news, but at least it sounds like its not something more serious. the numbers are good!

speaking of stones and "cat" scans. i had to rush my cat to the vet tuesday evening. bleeding from his urethra. it was blocked, likely from a stone. his bladder was past capacity and he was backed up into the kidneys. spent the night there catheterized, peed blood most of yesterday, but i got to bring him home last night. much better today. he's eating again. of course, he can't/won't tell us when something is wrong so whatever ails him gets out of control before he shows any signs of distress. 100% outdoor cat so we don't see his pee/poop behavior. managed to get him to stay inside last night enclosed in a room with not too much drama. he's now curled up in the sun under his favorite tree. have you ever tried that as an option to help your recovery fishing hat?

;-)

#42 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:00 PM

BRZ

I never curl up in the sun under a tree in January!! lol  That would be a good way to freeze all your kidney problems if you know what I mean...

#43 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:39 PM

Caution - This post deals with PSSD, a sexual dysfunction caused by ssri or snri.

You know I forgot to mention this but I saw my uroligist a couple months ago. I asked his opinion on my PSSD (total loss of sexual function from ssri/snri). He reviewed my medical records and gave me an examination. He concurred with the PSSD diagnosis and said he saw that condition occasionally. There is no proven method of treatment for it. Drs do use a medication called trimix. It is an off label use of mixture of three chemotherapy drugs. These drugs must be injected directly into the 'reproductive' organ (if you get my drift) when sexual activity is wanted. It must be injected into a specific spot. If the injection is off mark then severe pain will occur. In addition if it is injected in the correct spot it can occassionally cause a 'permanent' erection. In these cases the blood is drained of in order to releive the erection and related pain. Pockets of blood are usually left behind and can do damage to an individual. Surgery is sometimes required and the patient will not be able to function again. A medical liability release must be signed before a prescription is written. The cost is around $100 per month and is not covered by insurance.

#44 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:47 PM

Bless your heart, FH! You are not gonna try that are you? Sounds way to risky! This may sound crass. I certainly do not mean it to be, but IMHO, and I firmly believe this, you can live without sex, but you cannot live without love. Dear Fishinghat, we all love you and you have a loving wife! Please don't risk you health! hugs!!!! :)

#45 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:09 PM

Oh Clara, don't worry. No way I will take this risk. For a man going without sex is a tough issue but you are right. I am well loved and my wife is the greatest in the world so I will make it alright. Don't worry about me. I will be fine. Mostly I wanted this information to be available to others who may come along with the same problem.

#46 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:04 PM

Well my PCP just called and said even though my red and white blood cells are technically within range he still thinks it indicates a small stone. He wants another urinalysis next week. In the last two days my kidney pain has almost disappeared so maybe I have already passed it. who knows.

#47 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:25 PM

Fh,

"Pain has almost disappeared" - a good thing!  Sounds like you may be on the right track! :)

#48 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:27 PM

I am hoping with the reduction of pain it may indicate I have already passed the stone and maybe my next UA will be clear.

#49 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:56 PM

FH

The stone could have moved enough to allow urine to move down the ureter, thereby relieving some of the pain associated with blockage and backup. Sometimes drinking a large volume of water will open things up-- but you know that.

I've had a number of stones, and they're no fun!

#50 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:41 AM

I have already upped my fluid intake like you said. Now we wait. (and you know how I am with patience, lol)

Hey TM, if both kidneys hurt do I have two stones? It seems illogical that both kidneys would hurt the same amount at the same time and that the pain increases or decreases the same amount in synchrony. What do you think?

There is no build up of electrolytes or bun in my blood and urine flow is normal with normal color. Seems odd.

#51 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:34 AM

FH, have you done any research on "drug-induced renal (or urinary) calculi"? (renal calculi seems to be the fancy-schmancy term for kidney stones) ....

I just started doing some poking on this, as, of course, my first wonder was could SSRIs and/or serotonin be involved in what you're dealing with ... haven't found anything on that, but there does seem to be a fair amount of research on other drugs vis-à-vis kidney stones ..

For example:

Drug Induced Urinary Calculi [full text]
Rev Urol. 2003 Fall; 5(4): 227–231
http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC1508366/

Abstract: Urinary calculi may be induced by a number of medications used to treat a variety of conditions. These medications may lead to metabolic abnormalities that facilitate the formation of stones. Drugs that induce metabolic calculi include loop diuretics; carbonic anhydrase inhibitors; and laxatives, when abused. Correcting the metabolic abnormality may eliminate or dramatically attenuate stone activity. Urinary calculi can also be induced by medications when the drugs crystallize and become the primary component of the stones. In this case, urinary supersaturation of the agent may promote formation of the calculi.

Drugs that induce calculi via this process include magnesium trisilicate; ciprofloxacin; sulfa medications; triamterene; indinavir; and ephedrine, alone or in combination with guaifenesin. When this situation occurs, discontinuation of the medication is usually necessary.

#52 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:44 AM

FH, I just found quite a few Cymbalta user comments on other forums reporting kidney stones ... either while on it, or after getting off, and all attributing the stones to the Cymbalta ... unfortunately, the forums aren't the most reputable, e.g. "Bluelight," so I'm not going to link to them here. I will, however, pursue this ....

#53 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:10 PM

Very interesting FN. Thanks, I had not done any research on this yet. I read the article and luckily I have no history with any of those drugs. I did notice that 0.5% of those using cymbalta have reported kidney stones as a possible side effect. I would imagine that is around the national average.

#54 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:15 PM

also, FH, totally non-scientific, but I do recall that an aunt of mine years ago had horrid kidney stones ... they were in just one kidney, but she complained of pain in both kidneys ... she was a nurse, and used some medical term for that type of pain effect, but I don't remember ...

#55 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:17 PM

Thanks FN. I understand pain in the muscle being on both sides but not in both kidneys. It makes me feel better that someone else has experienced this as well.

#56 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:42 PM

Well the pain in my kidneys has disappeared as has the blood in my urine so I guess it is a done deal.

The good news is that my weight is down from 274 in Nov. to 244 today. That is 30 lbs down and 14 more to go.

#57 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 February 2015 - 06:37 PM

FH,

Fantastic news! So happy...  life is good...

Liz

#58 DoneWithCrap

DoneWithCrap

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • why_joining:
    I have been a zombie of too long.
    I want a life!

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:00 PM

Out of "likes" FH but that is great!!

Keep up the good work. Taking care of oneself is not always easy when your not feeling well.  :hug:

#59 cocopah40

cocopah40

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationMaine
  • why_joining:
    I need to know I am not going to go through this hell forever.

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:22 PM

Hi Fishinghat, 

I have been trying to read all the posts on this forum, just started on here two weeks ago.  As  I was scrolling my eyes caught your post.  Reading it about your battle with colon cancer. 

I know I am about a month behind the info so please know you are in my prayers.  I am a cancer warrior and know how you feel...................the anxiety, the surgeries, the chemo, radiation, been there done it all.  I am happy to say going on 7 years clear.  I finished the 5 years of meds, other poisons in my body, now just doing the calicum and fishoil.  

You are so wonderful and uplifting to me as I deal with my w/d and here you are fighting a battle of your own.  I feel so blessed to know you and how you can listen to me whine about feeling sad, even if it is a legit issue, when you have enough on your own plate.  

You indeed are God-Like............................I will lift you up in my prayers so you can get this battle won.  

Thank you again for the  strength you give me, if I can return a fraction of it to you I will be happy.  If I can do anything to ease your pain I am here for you!!!  

God Bless you Fishing Hat!!!!  

Coco 

#60 cocopah40

cocopah40

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationMaine
  • why_joining:
    I need to know I am not going to go through this hell forever.

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:26 PM

Hi again, 

I just read the good news of your kidney pain going away and weight loss.  
I am so happy for you!!!  

God is good!!! :D

Coco

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users