• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cymbaltaspouse

cymbaltaspouse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:57 PM

My wife has been on 60mg Cymbalta for seven months for anxiety, depression, and insominia due to the depression. Her doctor gave her the okay to wean off and gave her a 30mg dose for two weeks. She is currently on day six. She is experiencing brain zaps although she was having those before. Biggest issue now is out of control crying and panic attacks. She feels like her skin is crawling on the inside and she can't get out. She very desperate to be through with the process. She scared that her depression and anxiety are coming back. Any ideas on how long the these symptoms will last. She feels like she can make it if she knew there was an end.

I found a pharmancy that will compound a tapered dose. Should she go back to 60mg and taper down or should she "gut" it out for a while on 30mg. Thank you for your responses. Our doctor is helpful, but doesn't have the experience we are seeing on this site.

#2 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:13 PM

CBS, welcome to the forum.

From 60 to 30 is a big step. Since your wife has been on the 30 for only six days and is experiencing tough withdrawal, I would suggest that she go back on the 60.

When she is stable on that dose, she can bead count from there. Easier for withdrawal from there.

Her skin is crawling from the insides and she can't get out. I can relate. Let her reinstate at the 60 right away. A few days or so,and she should be stable again.

Others will be in shortly with replies.

Check the box at your upper right to get instant notice concerning your topic.

#3 cymbaltaspouse

cymbaltaspouse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:27 PM

What is the best long term solution? She feels like the last few days would be wasted if went back to 60mg and would even wait a few more days if she knew the symptoms would get better. Which approach will bring her to a complete discontinuation the quickest?

#4 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:43 PM

Hi and welcome CBS!

I agree w/Gail - your wife should go back on the 60mg immediately - she will stabilize in a few days - each day will get better.  Please read the topic Bead Counting - How To Do It under Are You New Here...    this will explain the bead counting which is the safest and most comfortable way to get off this stuff.  If she continues on the cold turkey route, the symptoms will get worse.  60 to 30 is way too fast!

I went cold turkey off of 60 mg a little over a year ago and it was a trip to Hell.  Thankfully she hasn't been on it terribly long (Many of us here have been on it for years) which will be a help and age also seems to be a factor.  Those of us over 50 seem to have a harder time.  This is not something that will take a month or 2 and then stop - please ask your wife to read some of the posts here.  There is a wealth of information, and we are all different.

Please come back with any questions you may have after checking out the Bead Counting - it is the only way to control the discomfort because you go at your own pace.  There is no time line here - it takes as long as it takes.

Also, is she on the name brand (Eli Lilly) or a generic?  Is she taking any other meds?  Answers here will help us to help her..

This is a wonderful group of caring and supportive people.  We can help and we care!

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:47 PM

Welcome CS

First of all much praise to you for your support of your wife. It is a far to rare occurance. I agree with Gail. Go back to the 60, get stable and then wean off. Most of us here weaned off the brand name Cymbalta. The Generic has been out about a year. The brand name capsules contained from 200 to 400 small tiny beads. We would open a capsule and take out 2 o3 beads a day. The generic however sometimes contains just 6 or 7 big beads. The first step, as TFL said, is to know if it is the generic or not and how many beads inside.

From that info we can give a guideline for weaning.

God bless and hang on

#6 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:34 PM

Hi CS

Welcome. 

"Which approach will bring her to a complete discontinuation the quickest?" Technically the quickest route is probably cold-turkey-- just quit it all right now. But I would NEVER recommend that; but you asked. Further, if damage is to be sustained during withdrawal and discontinuation, it is likely to be found in the cold-turkey method. By damage I mean the long-term impact of suffering-- anxiety, powerful physical symptoms, suicidal mind states, rage, crying, and the dismantling effect on relationships. Better to wean off slowly.

Also, if you jump into a bathtub of hot water, you are better off to jump out and wait for the water to cool-- the time out of the hot water is not "wasted time".

You're a good husband! Please read through the forum and use that knowledge to convince your wife to go slow. If you go really really slow, it's possible to have virtually no symptoms at all, or perhaps just some mild discomfort.

Take care!

#7 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:53 PM

Welcome CS! Ditto to what fishinghat said! Bless you for giving such great support! Hang in there and be as patient as possible. This road gets bumpy for the one coming off the C. AND the family! God bless! Take care of you and your fam'!

#8 cymbaltaspouse

cymbaltaspouse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:09 PM

Thank you for the quick responses. She is taking the name brand Cymbalta. She takes 50mg of Trazadone to help her sleep along with a thyroid compound. The doctor also has her on supplements to promote seratonin. The Cymbalta was helpful when she was on it, but as a 27 year old mother she is ready to be through with drugs.

#9 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:21 AM

Hey Cymbaltaspouse

I went from 60mg to 30mg and the worst of it was over in about 8 days. It was tough though and at 2 weeks at 30mg I started the bead counting to taper  down.

If she isn't feeling better then I would go up but I wouldn't think she would need the full 60mg. Can you get the 20mg size and go up to 40mg to try? Or if you can get the empty capsules at the drugstore or health food store then open a 30mg and divide it in half that way she could take roughly 45mg. Just a thought for her as I know I would be not willing to give up after that long off and since she is young then the side effects shouldn't last so long.

Make sure she is staying well hydrated and get those B vitamins, omega 3 (the one high in DHA not EPA as DHA is the one that is calming) and calcium with magnesium (I think) into her as they really help as well.

If none of this helps then go back to the doctor and get the doctor to set up a cross taper to an antidepressant with a longer half life then once the symptoms settle down she can easily taper off the other antidepressant (just make sure it isn't Effexor as it is as bad as Cymbalta)

Take care of you and bless you for being such a supportive husband

#10 NotLily

NotLily

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:57 PM

She is experiencing brain zaps although she was having those before.

She had brain zaps before Cymbalta or before she reduced her dose?

I went off of 60mg cold turkey recently. What has helped me is walking (with support because I get dizzy) and doing other gentle exercise. I also allow myself to have a good cry when I need to. Please know, however, I was on Cymbalta for chronic pain with my dose raised from 30 to 60mg due to situational depression and anxiety. My case may be very different than your wife's.

I should add that sometimes an alcoholic drink makes me feel better but sometimes -- like last night -- it made my symptoms way worse. Proceed with caution in that department.

Your support is admirable. You're a good man.

#11 cymbaltaspouse

cymbaltaspouse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:56 PM

Thanks for the enouragment! By the grace of Jesus, we take one step at a time.

We went back to 60mg on day seven. It was kinda scary how quickly brain zaps, anxiety, crying, etc....away. We did one day of 60 mg are now on day three of bead counting. Her body is resonding much better to the gradual taper down.

NL, she had some brain zaps while on in, but they became much worse after we went down to 30mg.

#12 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:22 PM

Cymbaltaspouse,

I am very happy to hear this. Keep us posted. Any questions along the run, we are here for you both.
This should go smoothly as your wife has a good thing going for her, her young age plays in favor here. And having you, of course. Be well!

#13 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:36 PM

Cymbaltaspouse

Good man! Let the symptoms dictate the rate of reduction. Forget about timelines. Just go slow in this labor of love.

Take care of yourself too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users