• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 26 August 2009 - 11:32 PM

You're welcome.

I'll let you know when / if I find anything among the uni databases on possible interactions between Tramadol and Cymbalta.

#32 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:10 AM

Sarah,
Here is the link to get all the withdrawls so you can have them right in front of you.
It has really helped me to see that all I am having is due to withdrawls.

Seixures are a withdrawl symptom, and you will find it on the list

http:/prozactruth.com/cymbalta.htm

Please show them to his doc I just gave the list to my doctor.

Good luck, and don't give up

Also go to youtube and pt in depression hurts cymbalta hurts more
It's a powerful video, and tells about this drug, and the withdrawls too
There are lots of them there to watch, I was really shocked

#33 SarahT

SarahT

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • why_joining:
    Hubby is having bad anxiety problems due to cymbalta withdrawl

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:20 PM

Today was bad. He saw the psycologist and the psycitrest neithor helped the shrink all he could say was sorry about the job. And for to try to get what I can.

I am so down right now and defeated. Stressed out about no income no skills. Tomarrow we will see if that can be fixed.What more can I do?

They upped hubbys meds aain to now 100 mg of citalopram. Why keep upping it when 60mg made things worse upping it to 80mg to now 100 mg. I just don't understand it.

Hubby oois going to file for disability and hope he can get that.
I am scared...

#34 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:26 AM

Sarah, from all the reading I've done, I don't think INCREASING your husband's meds is the answer. What seems to be happening is that he has joined the SSRI/ SNRI merry go round where Dr's confuse withdrawal symptoms with anxiety /depression ones. From my own experience, I can certainly understand how that can happen.

I am currently not taking anything because I want my body to get back its normal rhythms. I'm almost there but not quite. I'm only sleeping 6 hours at night before waking and that seems all that my body will let me have. I need 8. I'm taking Melatonin and I feel that it is helping but it's going to take a bit longer. I also get this burning sensation on one cheek.. if I look in the mirror it looks red. I read somewhere that is one of the reactions after having had an adverse reaction to an SSRI/ SNRI. Something about pain dysregulation.

In my opinion, your husband needs to get all of these drugs out of his system. His current psychiatrist has been negligent so I certainly wouldn't be going back to her. I would be looking for someone else; someone who is willing to help him to detox from everything he's been on. At that point you can make an accurate assessment as to whether he will be permanently disabled - and I sincerely hope that is not the case - or whether you just might be able to get the man you married back. It's obvious from all your posts that you love him dearly so I hope with all my heart that you can.

I haven't done any research yet re: academic articles. Had my colonoscopy today so haven't been able to think that clearly..until now. It's currently almost 8.30pm. It was all clear btw... so I know for sure now that the abdo pain I suffered WAS Cymbalta withdrawal. Thankfully it's gone.

#35 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:23 AM

I am so sorry that your having such a hard time. I know it ruined my life.

I agree with Junior and I am doing the same, not wanting to put anything else in me so I can really see what I am like.

I am taking all the suppliments that they have mentioned here, and I juat know as a nurse that we do need all the ggod things we can put into our bodies.

Celexa, that's what they have your husban on now, like Junior said is just another mask.

I too would find someone that is willing to listen to me, and work with me. Doctors, especially shrinks can really be control freaks if you have the wrong one.

I hope you two get the help you need. It is awful watching someone you love fall apart, and then only to get worse.

He will be ok, and you will have you husband back, don't give up!!!

Love,
Debbie

#36 SarahT

SarahT

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:28 PM

I thank tou all for yhe info...Wish my hubby could see this all the way that I do?

#37 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 28 August 2009 - 03:58 PM

Without wanting to sound horrible...your hubby is not really in his right mind at the moment. You can thank the drugs for that. My own merry go round over the past few months has taught me a lot. These are powerful drugs and Dr's need to be careful in the way they prescribe them. They hand them out like lollies and it's scary. They give them to ppl to help with with grief, for example, and that is something - as someone who is trained in psychology - that I am totally opposed to. Grief and clinical depression are NOT the same thing. It is actually harmful to suppress the natural grief process!!

Just... believe that things WILL get better Sarah. I know it's incredibly tough right now... but you have already hit rock bottom. The only way from here is up, right?

#38 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 29 August 2009 - 06:47 AM

Sarah,
Not all people can just go on another antidepressant after being on Cymbalta, and not have the withdrawls
from Cymbalta.
It sounds to me like your husband is still having many symptoms of withdrawls from the Cymbalta.

Did you ever go to the site with all the withdrawls symptoms? I really think this would help both of you
to see that what he is suffering so much from is just that.

I have been a nurse for over 35 years, and worked phych for 15 years of that. I know how shrinks are.
Most of them are control freaks, and it's hard sometimes to find the right one who will really listen to
you, and then hear what your really saying. Some just listen a few minutes, and make up their minds
what they are going to give you.

I had the same experience as your husband did on Cymbalta, it seemed to work at first, and then my
life was taken away from me.

Please go to http://wwwprozactruth.com/cymbalta.htm

I do wish you, and you husband the best, and I know you want him back, as he wants his oldself back too!

Love,
Debbie

#39 SarahT

SarahT

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 29 August 2009 - 02:14 PM

I looked up the citalopram and it said 40mg in a 24hour peroid of time. my hubby is on 80mg. I am concerned

#40 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 29 August 2009 - 02:32 PM

Hi, Just wondering how he is doingon this does. Sometimes they give a higher dose than what you see online for a starting dose.Is he having a hard time? If so have him call the doc right away, maybe he will lower the dose.I know I had a heck of a time convincing the shrink about these things, but now that I am getting the Cymbalta out of my system, and did not start another antidepressant, I am feeling so much like I am like alive, and more like my old self. Others are already seeing the big difference in my after 10 days.Always here to help,Debbie

#41 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 29 August 2009 - 03:52 PM

Hey Sarah

Listening to you both has reminded me of something else. Don't allow the Drs to be 'god'. You have the right to question what they are doing; to say that you don't agree and refuse to do that; to do your research and tell them what you have found. I have learned this over the years, esp with my son't autism. DOCTORS DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING. My GP didn't know about the poop out effect.

If you want your hubby's medication dose reduced, DEMAND IT. Don't let them railroad you. And look at this as a learning experience for yourself. A way to get strong; to learn to be assertive. If this DR won't reduce the dose - TAKE HIM SOMEWHERE ELSE. This is his life. Not a broken appliance.

#42 SarahT

SarahT

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:05 AM

Here I thought things could not get worse. And I walked out side yesterday and cought him smoaking he promised me he was done back in june. that was not the first time he promised that and broke it but this time he did not even rember the promise. And later hat night he tells me he thought twice about killing himself so sleeping last nightht was out of the question. on the 80mg he is getting worse so Monday morning I am calling to bitch...But he said lastnight that all of a sudden he was sick and throwing up.

i just want to screa. at the top of my lungs "Enough I have had enough of being lied to buy Dr. of not being listened to of just down right being treateded like lab rats. We are people just like everyone else. wy do we do we not deserve the right to be heard out and understood. No one knows us better than that. " I I have to be a BITCh (padon my language) than so be it. I am tired of letting my life turn into crap. I hace to be the bigger person and make those damn Drs clean it up. Starting tomarrow since this is sunday.

sarah

#43 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:02 PM

Oh my god. Sarah... my heart goes out to you.

My suggestions:
Let hubby smoke. He is clearly not coping. It is better to keep him alive than worry about whether he is smoking. You can deal with that later.

Get him to the ER. If you haven't already. Suicidal patients SHOULD (I know your health system sucks..so does ours when it comes to mental health) be admitted.

And try tapering his dose of Citalopram. It's clearly not agreeing with him. THESE DRUGS CAN MAKE PEOPLE SUICIDAL. Lexapro (escitalopram) did that to me.

Pls keep us informed.

#44 SarahT

SarahT

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:28 PM

His mind is like swiss cheese. He was making dinner and forgot about mine completely. I am scared and pissed off. I will be dealing with his dr tomarrow. It is 3:21 am and @ 3 I was downthe hall checking on him.

The smoaking bothered me but only because he did not tell me he was doing it. I am allergic to the smoake makes me sneeze for days after.

I want him off all drugs. Something just tells me that it would get better all of it once he was off.

sarah

#45 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:40 PM

I'm not surprised his memory has been affected. Lexapro did that to me. My short term memory was rooted, basically, after a few months on that - it's one of the reasons I came off it.

Is he still expressing a death wish? I hope not...but if he does, you HAVE to get help ASAP. That's the thing that worries me the most.

I agree...he will be better once he is off all the drugs. The original pain will return but you can deal with that later. My instincts tell me he should really detox as an inpatient, under supervision, but ... your health system....

You are doing well Sarah. It's not easy, I know. But you are doing really well. I'm glad he's got you.

#46 SarahT

SarahT

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:21 AM

Not since ttrat he has told me really scary. Told him he is calling the dr and telling them about them and the peeing problem. Also that he needs toget off the meds in a detox fashion .

#47 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:37 AM

Sarah T,
I have been investagating this drug as much as I can, and I have found that the withdrawls can last as long
a several months, maybe even longer.

Right now just by what your saying it is all the withdrawls that are on the site I gave you, and I just wish
you would look at them, as I have said it would give both of you so much comfort knowing that everything
he is going through right now is major withdrawls.

That was a big dose to be on, and then to go down to 60mg, and the rest of the way to nothing.
He is not seeming to get any relief at all from the nee med, and some don't.

Like some of us here we just had to do a very slow wean, and that way we still had withdrawl symptoms,
but they for me were nothing like when my doctor cut my dose in half!!!

I was so anxious it was awful, and I wanted tto crawl out of my skin, I felt like I was going crazy, anxiety
is bad enough, but the withdrawls make it so much more intense that some people can't even leave their
homes!!!

I hope you will look at the site so you can see what they are

http:wwwprozactruth.com/cymbalta.htm

Take care both of you, I know what he is going through, and it is pure hell that way!!

Debbie

#48 SarahT

SarahT

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:20 PM

I have looked and see it . Just getting hubby to do something about it now...

#49 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:00 PM

Hi Sarah,

Something else for you and hubby to look at:

http://www.drugs.com/tramadol.html

It talks about possible interactions with anti depressants although it doesn't mention Cymbalta specifically.

#50 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:03 PM

And again:

DRUG INTERACTIONS: Carbamazepine reduces the effect of tramadol by increasing its inactivation in the body. Quinidine (Quinaglute, Quinidex) reduces the inactivation of tramadol, thereby increasing the concentration of tramadol by 50%-60%. Combining tramadol with monoamine oxidase inhibitors (for example, Parnate) or selective serotonin inhibitors [(SSRIs, for example, fluoxetine (Prozac)] may result in severe side effects such as seizures or a condition called serotonin syndrome.

http://www.medicinen...dol/article.htm

This info is freely available on the web yet your psychiatrist didn't know she shouldn't prescribe tramadol and cymbalta together??????????????????????????

#51 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:05 PM

SIDE EFFECTS: Tramadol is generally well tolerated, and side effects are usually transient. Commonly reported side effects include nausea, constipation, dizziness, headache, drowsiness, and vomiting. Less commonly reported side effects include itching, sweating, dry mouth, diarrhea, rash, visual disturbances, and vertigo. Some patients who received tramadol have reported seizures. Abrupt withdrawal of tramadol may result in anxiety, sweating, insomnia, rigors, pain, nausea, diarrhea, tremors, and hallucinations.

http://www.medicinen...dol/article.htm

Is hubby still taking Tramadol?

#52 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:11 PM

OH MY GOD

http://en.wikipedia.... ... _inhibitor

[Tramadol] - A widely used opioid analgesic related to venlafaxine, which, in addition to its opioid effects, also acts as an SNRI. There is evidence supporting the use of tramadol "off-label" as a thymoleptic.[4]

Venlafaxine is marketed at Effexor and IS IN THE SAME CLASS OF DRUGS AS CYMBALTA!

#53 SarahT

SarahT

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:39 PM

From what I understand the Doctor that perscribed the Cymbalta is not a psycitrest . She has prscribed it to help with pain.

But she was no better than the dr he is dealing with now. The psycitrest he has been seeing had him on Citalapram and Amatryptline. Same set of problems

#54 SarahT

SarahT

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:50 PM

No he took himself off of it not long before the seziours..

I am going to have him come off the Citalopram and be put on prosac. He is afraid of coming off it without something to go on.

I have found myself sleeping even less now because I wake to check on him. I mean like a few min ago I was Asleep and woke up just to go check on him.

He plans to call a lawyer today so we shall see.

#55 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:58 PM

Citalopram and Amitryptline is probably ok Sarah. They are different types of drugs. Citalopram is an SSRI but Amitryptline (I've been on that before) is a tricylic. They work on different neurotransmitters. But I am not a DR so don't quote me!

Hmm... so he was on those.. then came off them to go onto to Cymbalta and Tramadol? I"m a bit lost.

#56 SarahT

SarahT

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:33 AM

no he was on Cymbalta and tramadol first then his withdrawl was so bad they putr him on Citalopram and amatryptline. My only worry is it list them as having adverse affects.

#57 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:49 AM

Sarah T,
I had my shrink put me on two drugs, and when I looked them up they were not to be taken together!!!!! Very serious side effects.

I hope you realize that or that your husband does have the right to tell the doctor that he won't take what they are giving him. That it's causing to many side effects, but make sure that you write them all down when going in, and ask that it be put on his Patient file!!
The doctor has to do that if you ask them to.

We all have rights as to what we take, and just because they don't believ us, or keep giving us new RX does not mean we have to take them either.

I do have a question? Why are you going back to this doctor when it's clear that they are not helping your husband, and there are so many others you could check out. Also a therapist
is someone that we must be able to really trust, and feel safe with. Also feel that they believe us in what we are telling them. When you have one that keeps teling you it not the meds,or falls asleep, well why go back to him.

I have been in this field for over 35 years, nursing, psych for 15, and I can tell you you have
a horrible doc, and therapist. I also feel this way because of the therapist I had for so many years saved my life, and the one after that. You have to feel comfortable with them!!!

I just hope you two find help elsewhere as it does not sound like he's doing good at all.

Love,
Debbie

#58 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:59 AM

Sarah T,
All drugs have side effects, but I really don't think there is a problem at all with him taking
Tramadol with his other medication. No not a doctor, but a nurse, and I too have to know what drugs can be given with what as

It's a non-narcotic pain medication. Yes all that was said about it was true that was posted by another, but also if you ever were to look up the side effects of Asprin you would never take it again!!

I just don't like that he is still having so many withdrawl symptoms, and they are blowing him off.

Pain is a withdrawl symptom, it's on the list, knee, shoulder, and lower back, headaches even migraines too.

Debbie

#59 SarahT

SarahT

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:19 PM

Tomarrow he sees his psycologist and he is going to mention to him all that is going on. He called his dr and told him side effects. And that he wants to be put on prosac if he refuses we find a new Dr.

You are all right his Doctor is a jerk and sucks.

#60 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:20 PM

Debbie

While I agree with everything you have been saying, I think the problem here is that Sarah's husband cannot go back on Cymbalta now in order to taper down the way you are. If the Cymbalta and Tramadol have interacted (and badly) then that is just not an option, hence his psych trying him on something else. My concern is that the Citalopram seems to be making his anxiety worse and has brought on suicidal ideation. He has to come off that!

I agree though that another Dr is needed, together with another therapist. IMO what he really needs is to be admitted to hospital to be carefully monitored as he recovers from this shocking experience. But... it's the US and I'm in Aussie..so I'm of no help in that dept :-I

Hopefully, with your nursing /psych nursing knowledge and experience, and my psychology training (my main interest area is mental health and the relationship between the brain and this) we can continue to support Sarah through this horrible horrible time. One she should NOT have had to deal with.

Cheers
Junior

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users