• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dstanek

dstanek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:14 AM

Hi I am new to posting. But have been reading this wonderful site for a while. I am on day five of withdrawal. Yesterday, day four, was terrible. All the lovely symptoms. I even had to call in sick from work. My husband said try some Nyquil I didn't have any but tried tylenol cold nighttime. In 20 min symptoms disappeared. I slept great no soaking night sweats. No nightmares. Zaps gone, I even had to shake my head to be sure. Woke up this morning feeling normal. I am going to get non drowsy version today and see if this truly is the miracle helper. Oh I am also taking the fish oil recommended. I will post more later.

Oh and I have been on 60mg for 4 years. Weaned to 30 mg to 20 for 3 days than stopped.

#2 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:31 AM

dstanek

Hi and welcome!

Wow that's great! You are on day 5 of (essentially) cold-turkey, following 4 years of exposure-- and you're feeling fine! I'm impressed!

It's still early at 5 days, but some lucky people do withdraw rather painlessly-- hopefully the smooth sailing will continue for you! Please keep us posted.

Take care.

#3 dstanek

dstanek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:35 AM

Well that's the thing. I wasn't fine I was feeling awful. Until I took the cold medicine. Don't know why this helped so much.

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:39 AM

Welcome dstanek

I would suspect that that version of NyQuil probably has a antihistamine in it, Like diphenhydramine. They reduce anxiety for a while. 

#5 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:43 AM

dstanek

There is a Major Interaction caution between these two drugs (Nyquil and duloxetine) that's worth considering.

http://www.drugs.com...&professional=1

#6 dstanek

dstanek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:45 AM

I only took the tylenol cold. Not Nyquil. Sorry to be confusing.

#7 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:48 AM

dstanek

They're the same. Here's the caution for the Tylenol Cold Nighttime.

http://www.drugs.com...t=949-0,55-7463

#8 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:50 AM

dstanek

I'm not advising to use it or not. Just be aware of the caution.

But the fact of the matter is you are off the duloxetine, so there shouldn't be a conflict. But I don't know. Fishinghat-- what do you say?

#9 dstanek

dstanek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:55 AM

Thank you I see what you are saying. Sometimes when you are feeling so bad. You just want the symptoms to stop. But I do see it could be a danger. Thanks

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:13 AM

I agree TM. Once you have been off the Cymbalta 2 days there is so little in the blood there shouldn't be a problem.

#11 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:21 AM

I didn't check, but my bet is that Tylenol Cold contains DMX -- "dextromethorphan" .... it's a serotonin agonist (enhancer - reuptake inhibitor) ...

Nyquil contains a lot of it, which is why someone taking Cymbalta (duloxetine) or any other SSRI shouldn't use Nyquil ... there are case studies about the combo causing severe serotonin syndrome ...

That said, I inadvertently discovered that Nyquil alleviated / moderated my hard withdrawal symptoms last year ... about a month into the "discontinuation" (cold turkey), I was desperate for some sleep, and remembered I had some Nyquil and that had always made me drowsy ... I downed a double dose and... boom ... relief from the zaps, the muscle spasms, the sweats ... plus sleep ...

So I researched what was in it and discovered the serotonin connection ...

But I couldn't use it regularly because it just made me feel too groggy ... I kept it in reserve for the really bad times ... also discovered that Robitusson cough syrup contains DMX ...

So, as long as you've got all the duloxetine out of your system, and are dealing with the aftermath of a massive drop in serotonin and a brain that hasn't yet re-learned how to moderate the serotonin level on its own .... the Tylenol Cold, Nyquil, etc ... may well be very helpful to you ...

Just don't overdo the stuff ... it'll make you sick in new and different ways!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users