4 replies to this topic

#1 Ramona80

Ramona80

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:08 AM

In a nutshell...April was awful. Lowered too quickly on Cymbalta, partially reinstated the Cymbalta with some Celexa, then dr. raised the amount of Celexa, and then withdrew it totally, and ever since then I have been in a severe amount of anxiety. Sometimes it's anxiety, sometimes it's panic/terror. It is constant. In April I had 4 emergency room visits, followed by a 4 day hospital stay after waking up with suicidal thoughts. (This is NOT like me to have these thoughts). The hospital program was helpful, but I think a large reason I felt better was the Klonopin they were giving me before bed. 

In the hospital, they reinstated me to my original amount of Cymbalta (60 mg) to try to help me get back to normal more quickly.

I have been taking Klonopin and Ativan (not daily) for the past few weeks and have been advised to be cautious about continuing because of risk of getting dependent on them.

I was prescribed Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), has helped a few times, but the last couple of times it hasn't helped.

I do not feel like I am able to take care of myself and my household. It is a struggle getting through each day and I can't concentrate on anything. I constantly am in dread and fear, and it is overwhelming me. My psychiatrist won't admit me again because she doesn't think it'd help, and I don't even know if insurance would approve it. I feel like I need someone here with me, or I need to be somewhere else. I am not OK. I haven't been able to find any source of help. I have checked with family members but they've all said they can't come stay with me. Does anyone have any ideas at all? I am in serious need of help. Thanks so much in advance. I have days where I feel like I'm having a nervous breakdown. 

Wanted to add: I have been doing yoga daily, I have learned how to meditate and have been doing that daily, as well as every other relaxation technique I got info on during my hospital stay. I am trying to do what will help me. 

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:15 PM

So sorry to hear about your problems Ramona. When did they reinstate you on the Cymbalta. It usually takes 4 to 6 weeks to really kick in, maybe longer with all the accompaning withdrawal. Keep with the Visteral, better than becoming dependant on benzos. That is a whole other withdrawal. The panic/terror is part of the anxiety. A medicine called clonidine (prescription) helps tremendously with that although it may lower yur blood pressure some. No withdrawal with the clonidine. You might mention that to your dr. Otherwise just be patient. With the mention of suicidal thoughts it would make me agree with the statement about just coming off the cymbalta too fast. Remember how fast you dropped and in the future, when you feel ready, come back off it at a much slower pace.

Don't feel bad. Manhy people have this same experience. Just hang in there until the Cymbalta kicks in.

God Bless

#3 pepe64

pepe64

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:17 PM

Hello Ramona,

I recognize the panic/anxiety feelings (I'm sure a lot of the people on this forum do) and the constant stream of thoughts. It seems evident to me that you should get (professional) help. I understand  that you are on your own right now, and that help is not readily available.

The following technique (which I picked up from a book) has worked for me to slow down this constant train of thoughts and anxiety several times, and it still does.

1) Make yourself as comfortable as you can (sit or or lie down and close your eyes)

2) Try to get your respiration under control (inhale deep through your nose for 4 seconds, keep the air in for 3 seconds exhale for 7 seconds)

3) When your respiration has stabilized,try to observe yourself as a silent 'spectator'

4) You are NOT your thoughts or feelings, your thoughts and feelings  should not kidnap you as a person. Try to observe your thoughts/feelings without any judgement. Just try to observe them. Don't ask yourself any questions regarding these thoughts/feelings.

5) Realize you are *observing* your thoughts/feelings. You, as a full person, are observing 'some thoughts/feelings' which are....just there.

6) Realize that these thoughts/feelings are just a (small) part of you, they are NOT you.

7) If you are able to objectively observe your thoughts/feelings they will gradually decrease in strength and speed.

This technique has helped me a lot when nobody was around to comfort me.

Of course, I realize that nothing can beat the comforting power of a friend/relative who *understands* what you are going through and/or the help of a professional and/or the proper medication.

Just my 2 cents. I wish you strength.

P.   

#4 Ramona80

Ramona80

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 03:17 PM

Thanks so much for your input, I really appreciate it. :)

#5 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:02 AM

Ramona I would say take you're anxiety med as needed till you gain some control and so that you won't become conditioned to feeling so overwhelmed -this way you can knock it down a few notches . No guilt or worry about dependence for now - in time you can taper down the anxiety med -you need to function .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users