23 replies to this topic

#1 Ramona80

Ramona80

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:24 PM

I just put this info in a reply to someone else's topic, but I wanted to make a separate post about this so everyone sees. 

I had acupuncture this week, and I was amazed at how much it relieved the withdrawal anxiety. I had read really good things about acupuncture helping with this, and I found a reputable place in our area that's been established a long time, that has excellent success stories. 

I am going to be going for acupuncture regularly now. It doesn't take away all the withdrawal symptoms, but it balances the systems in your body to help you feel better while you're going through this. Really calms down the anxiety, quiets your mind. 

#2 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:10 PM

Very Good to know.

I wonder if it works for other types of anxiety too.

I could use a break from my PTSD anxiety.

#3 Ramona80

Ramona80

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:48 PM

I believe it helps with any type of anxiety.

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:16 PM

Ramona is right. It can be a very powerful relaxant!! BUT there are a lot of 'acupuncture' people here in the states that have no idea what they are doing. Do your homework first. Check out there reviews on line and be sure they have been around awhile. You can't stay in business if you aren't making the customers happy.

#5 tria

tria

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 04:34 PM

This is encouraging! Thanks for posting it.  I saw a Dr of Naturopathy (ND) who is also a certified acupuncturist.  I have an appt with her in June to try acupuncture for headaches and severe facial neuralgia.  She knows about my Cymbalta w/d issues but I'll ask her if there's anything specific she can do to help that as well.  FH is right, finding a good acupuncturist is key.  I saw one years ago and it was a disaster.  This one works at a pain clinic with other "real" doctors so I feel more comfortable with her.  Some chiropractors work with or know of good acupuncturists so it's definitely worth asking around and doing your research.

#6 Geebers

Geebers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:23 PM

Excited to try acupuncture tomorrow. I am experiencing a lot of back and neck pain,anxiety and a weird feeling like having hives,but there aren't any. I read that I can take Benadryl,but I don't want to because I have a muscle relaxer and valium to use as needed. Praying for good results!

#7 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:29 PM

Let us know how it goes, Geebers !

I wanted to try acupuncture back in 2014, when I was enduring /suffering through cold turkey ... but I wasn't able to find a practitioner I could afford ... tons of them here in DC, but I was without insurance and unemployed, and the prices they charge per session were out of my budget.

#8 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:21 AM

Geebers.

How exciting to get acupuncture.  I hoping too it's going to help you.  I have never had a done although, one of my friends had it done as a birthday gift from her son and she loved it.  

Let us know your results...

#9 Geebers

Geebers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:50 PM

Hi! Tomorrow will be my 3rd session. Back pain is only slightly better. Acupuncturist says that the results are cumulative. She also is also an herbalist. She gave me an herbal powder called San Zao Ren (Chao). This is to help with the anxiety and sleep. She could tell from my tongue that I was having heart issues. This doesn't necessarily mean literally the heart,but emotions. My tongue is tingling and it it driving me crazy. I will ask tomorrow for some more advice. She recommended heat patches for my back pain as well as an oil. I got basically the same thing at CVS for a lot less money. Right now my anxiety is through the roof. Thanking God for the best husband ever. Hoping I can function when I return to teaching at the end of August. Thank you all for your interest. It means a lot. Praying for you all!

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:33 AM

San Zao Ren is the same thing as Jujube. It contains a mild beta blockers similar to atenolol or propranolol. It does have anxiolytic effects but can also reduce bp so please monitor carefully.

#11 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 01 August 2016 - 10:33 AM

I won't say I am for or against acupuncture.  For some it has helped, although the circumstances were totally different.  If it seems to help you, by all means then do continue doing it.  

Don't know much about San Zao Ren, although Fishinghat, has given you the info on this.

Yes, you can find heat pads at any local drug store.  I do agree with this....  Although I have something much cheaper and more effective.  We use this in home care, and I use it myself.

Since the patches are wonderful to use when you need to go out somewhere, you also need to read what these patches have in them; some have asprin which indicates you need to watch if you are taking any pain relievers orally.  Others do not contain ingredients and they are safe with over the counter pain relievers and your own prescription meds. Therefore, check them out thoroughly.  What I use and what we use in home care is simply this:  hand towels or wash clothes soaked with water and ring out the water.  Place this is a gallon zip lock bag and heat it in the microwave.  Make sure you have access to another hand towel to remove it.  Fold the zip lock bag in the hand towel and place it on the area which is aching.  For me this is inexpensive and gives the best results without using any patches; at least when you are in the comfort of your own home. 

Geebers, Don't worry ahead of time if you are going to be 'ok' for getting back to work.  Time and patience.....

#12 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:25 PM

Many of my friends and family members have had acupuncture over the years. I think it is a great tool BUT there are a lot more idiots doing acupuncture than experts. In fact my family has only found one so far in the states that new what he was doing (I am sure there are others though). If you find someone you are interested in be sure and check them out on the internet carefully.

#13 Geebers

Geebers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:11 PM

Back is feeling better. I still have an epidural on Friday. However,the anxiety is so intense. I took the herbal tea and supplements prescribed by the acupuncturist/herbalist. Still felt on edge. Checked to see if Valium could be added to the mix and was given the go ahead. Still no relief. My husband added some supplements as well. I am not anxious about anything. It just seems to be a withdrawing symptom. Any advice is appreciated! Will my brain ever return to normal? I want to enjoy my life!

#14 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:02 PM

If the Valium didn't help then I would stay away from it as it is addictive with its own nasty withdrawal. Something you might try is diphenhydramine the active ingredient in Benadryl and most over the counter sleep aides. It has anxiolytic properties. It is not addictive but with time you build up resistance to it so use it a little here and a little there when you need to. It may make you drowsy so the first time you use it don't drive until you see how you react to it. You might also speak to your dr about using clonidine or hydroxyzine. Both are good anxiety medicines and frequently prescribed. Not habit forming, no withdrawal. Like all meds they work for some and not for others but they usually are productive.

#15 Geebers

Geebers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:07 PM

Thank you soo much. I am waiting for the doctor to call me back. Today I feel so angry for no reason. I am usually a very happy positive person. Can't wait for this to pass. How can the FDA allow this drug to be dispensed??

#16 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:15 PM

Hi Geebers,

FH suggested Benadryl and I second that. Total strength tablets, one and a half and perhaps two. Does wonders for anxiety.

Clonidine is also good. My preference in emergency anxiety remains Benadryl extra strength.

#17 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:52 PM

Easy Geebers/ The FDA realizes it is no worse than most psych meds. You should read the info on some of them. Totally scary. But you have to realize that so many people have the attitude..."I feel terrible Doc. can't you give me something for it?". They want that magic pill. If the dr doesn't give them something then they go back and tell their family..."That darn doctor didn't do anything for me!!".

#18 Geebers

Geebers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:27 PM

True. Anyway,doctor called and it seems that there is no way around the weaning process. He put me on 60mg for a week. I'm bummed because I lost 6 pounds being off of it. I don't feel like I'm in a fog and I have energy. I guess it's a trade off for not feeling anxious. Hope this works. I mentioned Clonidine but he said that wouldn't work because my brain wants Cymbalta. Just took a Cymbalta after 5 weeks and I don't feel any better. Hope it kicks in soon. Need to be able to function when school starts in a few weeks. I have a very stressful job as a learning support teacher. Hope tomorrow is a better day! Thanks for the support!

#19 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:36 AM

60 mg? You got to be kidding me. I would think 10 or 20 mg to take the edge off. Now you will have to just repeat the withdrawal completely.

#20 Geebers

Geebers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:13 PM

Really! He said do it for a week and he'd call back. I suggested ever other day,but he said no. I got my epidural today. Doctor says it should kick in in 2-3 days. Maybe that will help with the anxiety. Thanks!

#21 Geebers

Geebers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:22 PM

Has anyone been on luvox? Any advice? Thanks! Trying to stay positive!

#22 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:24 AM

This is a quote from a post Lady Nancy wrote about Lovox. This is the way I understand the product works as well. A member called Pups4Life used it for her withdrawal. You might send her a PM and see how it worked out for her.

"Hi Pups

I was just doing some checking on Luvox and see that it is another SSRI and has a short half life of only 15.6 hours which makes me leary. There are write ups on Luvox withdrawals that I found concerning as well. (I wish I could remember how to paste a link to an article on here but I don't seem to be able to)

Several of the sites suggest that it is a tough drug to get off of.

One site is drugdetox.org/druginfo/luvox.php

and the other is mental healthdaily.com/2014/11/02/luvox-fluvoxamine-withdrawal-symptoms/

Both of these sites talk about having to taper off slowly.

I know how hard decisions like this are because you don't want to take something else but you can't manage the way you are. Definitely stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Buspar on the other hand is easily stopped but they both will take some time to see if they work for you."

#23 Geebers

Geebers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:24 PM

Thanks so much! Unfortunately, Buspar gave me headaches. So scary to take new meds!I forget what"normal" feels like. Trying to stay positive. Lost 10 lbs without trying!

#24 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:07 AM

Geebers,

I felt the same way.

Fortunately, the weight seems to fall off the longer you are off this poison! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users