Photo

At What Mg Level Have People Cross-Tapered?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ramona80

Ramona80

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:07 PM

I haven't been able to find much information about this. I am trying to move up my next p-doc appointment so I can ask her a number of questions I have, because at this point I'm not able to see her until September!

Anyway, I am curious to see if all people who have cross-tapered had to drop to a certain Cymbalta mg level first. 

I know some people have started cross-tapering when they get down toward the end of their Cymbalta wean.

Has a cross-taper ever been done when the person is on, say, 30 or 40 mg of Cymbalta still? I am curious how this would be done, as we need to lower beads at a slow rate. I'm assuming you can speed up your rate of bead reduction once you've started taking the second antidepressant?

Any info on a Cymbalta to Zoloft taper, how that would be done? (ETA: I just read on a former post that fishinghat did this. How did you & your doctor figure out how to do it? Do you cut the Zoloft tablets up? )

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 June 2015 - 05:23 PM

With all of my cross tapers (5) they make the first drop on the original ssri at the same time they make the first dose of the new ssri.

#3 emoothart

emoothart

Advanced Member

• Site Supporter
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:44 PM

I haven't been able to find much information about this. I am trying to move up my next p-doc appointment so I can ask her a number of questions I have, because at this point I'm not able to see her until September!

Anyway, I am curious to see if all people who have cross-tapered had to drop to a certain Cymbalta mg level first. 

I know some people have started cross-tapering when they get down toward the end of their Cymbalta wean.

Has a cross-taper ever been done when the person is on, say, 30 or 40 mg of Cymbalta still? I am curious how this would be done, as we need to lower beads at a slow rate. I'm assuming you can speed up your rate of bead reduction once you've started taking the second antidepressant?

Any info on a Cymbalta to Zoloft taper, how that would be done? (ETA: I just read on a former post that fishinghat did this. How did you & your doctor figure out how to do it? Do you cut the Zoloft tablets up? )

I want more information about this, too.  I am down to just under 45mg, bead counting from 90, and I don't think I can go much farther without starting a different antidepressant. I'm pretty sure that I'm one of those whose body/brain needs assistance.  With my doctor who always just wants to raise the dose (no matter what I say) I feel like I need to walk in her door with a solid plan for a cross-taper...but I don't know what that plan should be.  

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 14 October 2016 - 06:10 PM

Actually cross tapering is very common. It is not unusual for a ssri or snri to stop working after a while. They normally start you on a low dose of the new med (say 25 mg Zoloft) and after a week kick it up to 50 mg and begin lowering the old drug. I have never had a dr cut a pill or remove beads from a capsule to get a lower dose. Most ad's have small dose versions that are used for this.

If you are already dropping on Cymbalta they will get you started on the new drug as they drop your Cymbalta. They will normally aim at being of the Cymbalta in about 4 weeks and on the new drug in about 4 weeks (some drs are a little slower in the change over). Be aware, many of the ad's take 6 to 8 weeks to fully kick in so it is not unusual to go through some serious Cymbalta withdrawal while waiting for the new med to kick in but that will be short term only.

If you still have questions let me know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users