God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:57 PM

One of our members, MonkeyGoodness, posted in another forum to tell us that she's discovered that her "brain zaps" were caused by aspartame, not Cymbalta ....

ThisMoment and I found two articles discussing the neurotoxicity and side-effects of aspartame .... we thought we should start a thread here on this topic ...

--------------------------------
Posted by ThisMoment:

Like SS/SNRIs, benzodiazepines, alcohol, nicotine, and caffeine-- Aspertame is a neurotoxin that is addictive, neuroactive, and it interacts with other neutotoxic medications. It's not surprising that you got brain zaps when you boosted the toxicity of your meds by including Aspertame.

There are many articles online describing the neurotoxicity of Aspertame. It was approved as an artificial sweetener in 1981. Here is one such article from a few years ago:

http://www.huffingto...s_b_668692.html

----------------
Posted by me:

America's Deadliest Sweetener Betrays Millions, Then Hoodwinks You With Name Change
HuffingtonPost, 7/6/2010
http://www.huffingto...e_b_630549.html

FTA:

Aspartame is the most controversial food additive in history, and its approval for use in food was the most contested in FDA history. In the end, the artificial sweetener was approved, not on scientific grounds, but rather because of strong political and financial pressure. After all, aspartame was previously listed by the Pentagon as a biochemical warfare agent!

It's hard to believe such a chemical would be allowed into the food supply, but it was, and it has been wreaking silent havoc with people's health for the past 30 years.

The truth is, it should never have been released onto the market, and allowing it to remain in the food chain is seriously hurting people -- no matter how many times you rebrand it under fancy new names."
-------------------------

#2 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:05 PM

This blog article from 2008 includes excerpts from several research articles. Here are the pertinent parts:

Blog: A nutritionist's perspective on psychiatric medications and some of their effects
Article: "Aspartame and the Brain" (April 7, 2008)
http://thisisyourbra...-and-brain.html
-----------------
From the article:

03-Apr-2008 - Excessive intake of aspartame may inhibit the ability of
enzymes in the brain to function normally, suggests a new review that
could fan the flames of controversy over the sweetener.

The review, by scientists from the University of Pretoria and the University of Limpopo and published recently in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, indicated that high consumption of the sweetener may lead to neurodegeneration.

Aspartame is made up of phenylalanine (50 per cent), aspartic acid (40 per cent) and methanol (10 per cent). It is commonly used in food products for the diet or low calorie market, including soft drinks and chewing gums. It was approved for use in foods in the US and EU member states in the early 1980s.

The sweetener has caused much controversy amid suspicions on whether it is entirely safe, with studies linking the ingredient and cancer in rats.

It has also previously been found that aspartame consumption can cause neurological and behavioural disturbances in sensitive individuals. Symptoms that have been reported include headaches, insomnia and seizures.

Despite strong concerns being raised from some quarters over the sweetener, both the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) and the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) have not changed their guidelines regarding the safety of the ingredient or intake advice.

The new review also challenges finding published last year in the journal Critical Reviews in Toxicology (Informa Healthcase) that considered over 500 studies, articles and reports conducted over the last 25 years - including work that was not published, but that was submitted to government bodies as part of the regulatory approvals process.

The earlier review concluded: "The weight of existing evidence is that aspartame is safe at current levels of consumption… No credible evidence was found that aspartame is carcinogenic, neurotoxic, or has any other adverse effect on health when consumed even at quantities many times the established ADI [acceptable daily intake] levels."

New review

Writing in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, a Nature journal, the scientists behind the new review state: "The aim of this study was to discuss the direct and indirect cellular effects of aspartame on the brain, and we propose that excessive aspartame ingestion might be involved in the pathogenesis of certain mental disorders, and also in compromised learning and emotional functioning."

The researchers found a number of direct and indirect changes that occur in the brain as a result of high consumption levels of aspartame, leading to neurodegeneration.

They found aspartame can disturb the metabolism of amino acids, protein structure and metabolism, the integrity of nucleic acids, neuronal function and endocrine balances. It also may change the brain concentrations of catecholamines, which include norepinephrine, epinephrine and dopamine.

Additionally, they said the breakdown of aspartame causes nerves to fire excessively, which can indirectly lead to a high rate of neuron depolarisation.

The researchers added: "The energy systems for certain required enzyme reactions become compromised, thus indirectly leading to the inability of enzymes to function optimally.

"The ATP stores [adenosine triphosphate] in the cells are depleted, indicating that low concentrations of glucose are present in the cells, and this in turn will indirectly decrease the synthesis of acetylcholine, glutamate and GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid)."

Furthermore, the functioning of glutamate as an excitatory neurotransmitter is inhibited as a result of the intracellular calcium uptake being altered, and mitochondria are damaged, which the researchers said could lead to apoptosis (cell death) of cells and also a decreased rate of oxidative metabolism.

As a result of their study, the researchers said more testing is required to further determine the health effects on aspartame and bring an end to the controversy.
-----------------------
  • hyg likes this

#3 Ramona80

Ramona80

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 04:35 PM

Very interesting. I avoid everything containing aspartame. Fortunately, I don't like the taste of it, so i'ts not like I'm missing anything. 

#4 monkeygoodness

monkeygoodness

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:15 PM

More items contain aspartame than I ever knew. I wasn't aware that even some over the counter and prescription medications contain it. Things have been better since I have been vigilant about reading everything. :)

Also, the only reason I even thought that it could be the aspartame is after I stumbled across this:

http://www.medhelp.o...oda/show/622811

so thankful he posted!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users