brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:48 PM

addyi just got fda approval today... 

"HOW DOES IT WORK? Addyi, known generically as flibanserin, acts on brain chemicals associated with mood and appetite, similar to antidepressant drugs. In fact, it was originally studied as a treatment for depression before being repurposed into a libido drug. It's not entirely clear why the drug increases sexual desire but researchers point to its ability to increase dopamine — a brain chemical associated with appetite — while lowering serotonin — another chemical linked with feelings of satiation."

source: http://www.firstpost...ve-2398142.html

its also not safe for post menopausal women (those most likely to need/be interested in it)

saw the report on PBS Newshour tonight. thought i'd pass it along. sounds like just another way to mess with our brains.

#2 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:34 PM

brz,

I had heard about this several times on the news - had the same feeling about it!  Just another thing to try to make money by getting  women hooked on it.  Wonder what type of withdrawal that will have...

I also heard something recently that really upsets me.  It has now been ok'd by the FDA to give Oxycontin to children ages 11-16!  My gosh the whole country will be on drugs! :angry: 

#3 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:16 AM

f'd up beyond fixing ... :angry:

I'd like to know what meds each and every one of my docs (shrink, gp, the whole crew) is taking ... do they, perchance, dip into all those "samples" the drug reps hand out so freely?  Maybe write a few "helpful" Rx's for themselves? It would go a long way towards explaining why all my docs seem more screwed up than I am ... :angry: :angry:

#4 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:25 AM

oops ... lost the post ...

#5 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:20 PM

Liz, out of likes. I think that they pass their entire day figuring what pill they will sell next. They gotta find something to cure. I mean they need something to get richer.

Would not touch that, prefer a stable mind than an unstable libido any time.

#6 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:21 PM

Well, I lived with an unstable libido from about age 16 through age 36 ... that, combined with my unstable mind, made for a far too "interesting" social life ...   :P... yep, I'll pass on this "magic pill" for sure !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users