Liver Count Off And Severe Chest Pains With Weaning

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jan_*

Guest_jan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:38 PM

Hi, I've been on Cymbalta 60mg for 2 plus years for Fibromyalgia pain. I also have Autoimmune diseases.  Rhuemy told me at the end of August to stop cold turkey and come in for retest to determine if it's Cymbalta or Autoimmune disease causing the liver issues.

Having tried to wean off in June of this year on my own, I knew this wasn't possible for me to do. When I told him that I couldn't do it, he told me to go to 30mg and then stop completely in one week. It's now been over 3 weeks and I have weaned fast, but with some horrific chest pain and breathing issues.

I have cut my dose in 1/2 every 4 days as my body could tolerate: 60mg, 30mg, 15mg, 7.5mg and yesterday started 3.75mg. This method has come at a price, but I feel I have no choice with the liver issue. The first drop went fine this time, almost as if my body remembered from the attempted wean this summer. However, the next drop brought the dreaded chest pain assaults that caused me to stop my wean over the summer.

It happens seemingly randomly a few times during each drop. I'm guessing when new dose and drugs 1/2 life drop off?? I can't figure out the timing. Anyway, the "spells" last anywhere from 5hrs to 12hrs and are excruciating. It feels like a huge band squeezing my chest, with stabbing pains going front to back and I can't breathe. There is a lot of sweating, vomiting and dizziness. I know this isn't pretty and sorry to be so graphic, but I'm at a loss.

Is there ANYONE out there who has had or heard of these symptoms with Cymbalta weaning and do you know of anything that might help? I use a muscle relaxer, heating pad, massager, hot bath and shower massager. Thank you so much for reading this and for ANY input you may have :wub:

#2 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:51 PM

Hi Jan, and welcome!

i am sorry to learn about your chest pain and tightness - and the liver issue that you are investigating. i have never heard about chest pain as a withdrawal symptom before. however withdrawal, especially cold turkey, is notorious for inducing both mental and physical symptoms of anxiety. some folks don't feel any mental "worry" distress with anxiety, but do feel the classic physical symptoms such as chest tightness, shallow breathing, heart palpitations and sweating. of course, those are also symptoms of a panic attack. diarrhea, nausea and vomiting are classic symptoms during withdrawal. a lot of physical ailments can be traced back to the fight or flight system kicking in at inappropriate times. it doesn't matter if the C was prescribed for mental health or pain issues, the withdrawal symptoms are all over the place - some mental, some physical. 

was it your rheumatologist who put you on cymbalta in the first place? i am guessing you have seen someone to rule out any other causes of the chest pain, such as a heart condition. a big withdrawal symptom for me was physical pain in my joints - that fluish feeling at first but then it was like arthritis. i do have osteo in my hands and knees already, but nothing like what i was experiencing after quitting the C. the pain involved my shoulders, neck, elbows, fingers, hips, knees, ankles and toes. that pain lasted for about 6 months. i took the C for depression. were you taking it for pain or mental health?

time takes care of the gastro issues. standard over the counter remedies are what helped me get through it. the nausea and vomiting went away for me after a few weeks. diarrhea lasted about 3 months - but was never over the top. i think it was because i was in serious weight loss mode and my metabolism was cranking out again. the C made me gain almost 25 pounds that i shed in those first 3 months once i quit. i too had to taper quickly which was basically a cold turkey experience. 30 mgs to 0 in around a month. two years prior to quitting i had been on 90 mgs and cut that to 60 mgs with no problems, a year later i cut it to 30 with no problems. then 16 months ago i did my "cold turkey taper" and that is when all hell broke loose. for me anxiety has been the big struggle, both physical and mental. i am at a point now where i have many, many good days and few bad days.

also, the symptoms are cyclic. mine were interesting in that when the mental/anxiety symptoms cranked up, the physical gastro and pain symptoms cycled down - and then they would reverse. some folks get a total respite for a few hours, then days then weeks before they all kick in together. we all have a different rhythm.

i wish i could give you some more insight on the chest pains - but i never experienced that. hopefully another forum member will have some info about that. 

i was on the C for 10 years, and other antiD's for 8 years prior - so if i can get through it, you can too! keep us posted 

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:21 PM

I agree with brz. The liver issue is common for Cymbalta while on it or coming off. The Blood test for liver function, Alt and Ast  (if I remember right) are easily altered by Cymbalta and can eventually cause liver damage. Manufacture's drug insert mentions this and recommends a yearly liver function test.

#4 Guest_jan_*

Guest_jan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:18 PM

Thank you BRZ for your kind words of support and helpful info!  To answer a few of your questions:

My Rhuemy did prescribe the Cymbalta and for pain.  Also, I have had all the testing done on my heart

and chest. I was diagnosed with pleurisy and costrocondritus, both of which affect your chest cavity.

What you said about hurting more as you weaned makes total sense to me!  I never put the two

together since I haven't had that pain since I've been on the Cymbalta and it is so much worse now.

I've also never had issues with my emotions, but during this wean I've felt "totally off" so to speak. I

had no idea that the weaning could have that effect on my body since I was on the med for pain. Now

that you told me the pieces fit together a lot better with what I have been experiencing. I totally get

the fight / flight thing, but that's not when I have the chest pain. Oh to be over and done with this

chapter! I can't wait to see who I am on the other side of this toxic drug! I know my husband and

4 teenagers are ready for it to be over too! I really like your different rhythm statement, it resonates

with me. I have really been feeling sorry for myself for seeming to get the bad end of the stick on this

one, but I see after reading your post and many others here that there is a lot of heart ache out there

that this drug has caused.  Thank you again for your response! jan

#5 Guest_jan_*

Guest_jan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:24 PM

Thank you FH for the info! I get my liver tested every 3 months since I've been on Cymbalta. I guess the good news is if it's the drug

causing all of this, we caught it early on. From what you had to say,  it seems reasonable to think it is the drug.  I guess I need to be

hoping and praying it's the drug and not my immune system telling my body to attack itself! Thanks for your response!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users