12 replies to this topic

#1 WendyK

WendyK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    Want to get off the meds and have found hope in reading the posts here.

Posted 06 December 2015 - 07:21 PM

Hello everyone! I don't know if you remember me that well since it has been months since I have posted anything.

For those that do remember, I wanted to let you know that I did successfuly bead count my way off of Cymbalta. I may have went a little overboard but I literally counted my way down to the last 2 beads. I decided not to take a capsule with only 1 bead in it. 😜. Honestly, I did really well. I never had any of the major brain zaps that people talk about on here. I only experienced some minor dizziness and of course I felt tired a lot, but that's nothing new for me. Other than that I am so proud of myself for continuing through it. If anyone who reads this wants I for or help, please don't hesitate to ask. And in case anyone wants to know, I took pics of beads from Name Brand and crap from generic. Completly different. I will post the pics. The Name brand is the one that is the actual beads. I stuck to the expensive Name Brand until I thought I had more than enough beads to see me finished, then I switched to generic only to use the capsules. (I couldn't find anywhere to buy them around me.)

It has been 6 weeks since I have been completely off of it now. And well, I'm freakin out a little. Honestly, I feel I have done really really well this whole time. By the way, I am an anxiety sufferer. Yeah me! I read a post by brzghoff. That was a good post and I plan on checking out the websites mentioned.

So, here's what happened. Day after Thanksgiving, I started feeling ice to my stomach. Over that weekend I was still ok. Monday, my husband and I ate Jack in the Box for lunch, that evening, I was sick and still sick badly for the next 2 days that on this past Wednesday I went to the Dr. I couldn't see my regular Dr, had to make due with someone new. Well, this guy was dumb and didn't listen to half of what I was saying and he gave me Acid Reflux meds. Dexilant. Don't ever take this, especially if you suffer with anxiety. The first night I took it, I had chest tightness, face tingles, agitation, and the shakes. And stupid me, I took it for 2 more days before I went back to the Dr again. So, this medicine, Dexilant, which is so close to Dilaxatine,has triggered my anxiety to come up. I only took that medicine for 3 days and have almost been off of it for 36 hrs roughly and I am still feeling it's affects. Not to mention that one of its main side effects is what I went to the dr for, so I am also still suffering from stomach virus issues. 😳

I keep telling myself that I am only feeling this way (anxious) because of this other medication, but honestly, it is really difficult right now. It's making me feel like I might be having a relapse, and I know in my head, that I have nothing to be afraid of and according to the Dr it could take 72 hours for the medicine to completely pass thru and out, but geesh!! I did not take the meds last night or today and I am still feeling the same things. Chest tightness, agitation, shaking. I haven't had anxiety issues in years, and yes, mostly is was probably because of the Cymbalta, but this is irritating and freakin me out. It's like I want to almost get mad at it. And I keep talking to myself...reminding myself that it is ok and that it will pass and that I have nothing to be afraid of. But honestly, when it comes to medical issues.....that it the worst for me.

I guess I needed to vent mostly to try and help settle myself. But also, in case anyone ever has an issue with thier stomach or possible acid reflux, I do not recommend Dexilant. I have been out of work all week because of my stomach issue and then this medicine. It has not been a good week. However, on a positive note, we did buy concert tickets to Journey/The Doobie Brothers in May.

Name Brand and Generic differences
Attached File  image.jpg   94.03KB   4 downloads

#2 WendyK

WendyK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 December 2015 - 07:44 PM

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to post this twice. I'm posting via iPad and it wouldn't load. Sorry about that. Don't reply to the other one.

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:19 PM

Hi Wendy

It is good to hear from you, especially that you are off the Cymbalta with little problem. You are truly blessed. By the way your dr is full of crap. The Dexilant has a half-life of 1 - 2 hours and would ne completely out of your system in 18 hours at the most!! The Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole)  is a proton pump inhibitor and inhibits the formation of new acid. All the proton pump inhibitors are not recommended for people on ssri/snri and many more meds because they increase the absorbtion of those meds. I don't know why it would cause this effect in you or why it would last so long.  I am going to do some reading about it.

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:29 PM

Interesting. Research suggests not to take this medication if you have been on antidepressants during the last 14 days. The manufacturer drug insert cautions of the possibility of causing anxiety or depression. The FDA records that 3% report anxiety as a side effect. Luckily it should wear off soon. Let me know how it comes out. That is one way I learn about these meds. The information would be appreciated.

#5 WendyK

WendyK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:16 PM

I thought that it would be over by now, the side effects I have been having. If you are right about it being out of my system fast, then I may have a different problem. And I don't want to think about having anxiety again. Not when I have honestly been doing so well.

I read some posts from people who were on the medicine and then stopped, some even after 2 or 3 days like me. Some reported having effects for up to a week. The Dr told me at least 72 hours to get it completely out. I'm really hoping I wake up a brand new woman tomorrow.

Another thing that is bothering me is my sinuses. When I have a hard time breathing through my nose, I feel like I'm not getting enough oxygen and that gets me a little worked up too. Oh, and Dexilant says some people had sinus issues from the meds. I should've just followed my first gut instinct which was to not take it. Live and learn.

I full of all kinds of problems right now.

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:00 AM

I read about this possible side effect of sinus problems yesterday.

Wendy are you on Dexilant or Dexilant DR? The DR (delayed release)version should stay in the blood longer (although the insert says 1.5 to 2.5 hours) and could explain some the difference. From what I read the DR version is not very effective and not as commonly used by drs..

Good luck, I hope you will be feeling better soon.

#7 WendyK

WendyK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:13 PM

I think it was the delayed release one. I threw the rest of it away the 2nd time I went to the Dr.

Like I said, it wasn't my regular Dr and I told my husband that I think this guy just picked out what he wanted to hear and gave me a sample pack. It was a 5 day sample pack, but then he also gave me a prescription. I will NOT be using that! I'm going to try to take this day and see what happens. If by tomorrow or the next day I still have a bunch f these issues, I will try to go and see my normal dr.

Thanks! I really hope I feel better too. So far it isn't as bad as yesterday and the day before......but we will see what the next few days bring.

#8 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 07 December 2015 - 02:30 PM

Hi Wendy:

Wow the photo of the 'beads' are OMG I have NO words.

I was on the brand name the entire time. At least they were of the same time. The generic ones look like tiny rocks!

Glad you are off the poison. It took me 3 months to wean off of it and was a journey thru hell....

God bless you darlin' :hug:

TheEquusWoman

#9 WendyK

WendyK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:26 AM

I just wanted to report that this morning I am still feeling a little bit of the effects of the meds, but so far it isn't that bad. I kept myself occupied last night before bed and didn't let myself get worked up. It helped too. However, after I ate lunch yesterday, I did has indigestion and was burping for hours. I I didn't even eat anything spicy. I am still taking it easy because of the stomach bug I had. So, that was weird.

I will still let you guys know when I feel completely back to normal. Which will be soon because I am going to be positive about it!

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 December 2015 - 01:56 PM

Sounds like you have turned the corner Wendy. Don't be surprised if you have relapses but each one should be weaker and shorter in length.Maybe you won't even need the Wellbutrin if you can hang in there. Don't over do it. You still need to be patient.

#11 DebMorris

DebMorris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:43 AM

You know that pic of Generic Cymbalta is very disturbing to me.  It looks like a drug dealer put that crap together.  It angers me :angry:  I am on my 4th week off of C & yesterday was a very bad day for me.  Uncontrollable crying, wanting to just sleep & really wanting to not wake up.  My family & this forum keeps me hopeful that this will pass & it did.  This morning is a pretty good morning except for the pressure in the back of my head but of course I know that comes with getting off of this crap.  I was going to get on here & write how I was feeling but my mind was everywhere & I didn't want to confuse anyone. This morning I have a Dr's apt w/ my Psychologist which is always a good thing, tried getting in to see him yesterday but of course no openings.  Well here is to one good day.  Thank you all for your support!!!

Debbie

#12 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:56 AM

Hang in there, time and patience.

#13 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:53 AM

WendyK:

glad my post could help. i hope you find something useful from the links i provided. best of luck as you continue to improve - being positive is a great way to help yourself!

oh, and the differences in the generic and name brand beads are very scary. thanks for the pics. i only took brand name cymbalta - for 10 years - i quit just as it went generic. one thing i will say for the name brand, it was consistent from dose to dose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users