Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:
    Needing support while going through withdrawl

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:58 PM

Are others experiencing some of this crap.  I know they are going through more than I am.  But this stuff is downright weird.

#32 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:38 PM

Hi Michgirl!

Wish I had been able to welcome you sooner, but was going crazy over the holidays with my oldest son here from Seattle

I am one of the cold turkey survivors - jumped off of 60mg after taking about 4 1/2 yrs.  It will be 2 years Jan. 10.  All of 2014 was a trip to hell for me - seemed as if it would never end - but IT DOES!!  I gained 30 pounds and it took a while to start coming off. This nasty drug is stored in fat cells - so it takes a while.

Since we are all different,  I just want to mention that I still have problems with taste and smell - only certain things though!  Really odd, but I have resigned myself to that is the way it is for me.  I also still have problems with concentration and short term memory but that does not mean it will happen to you.  The worst for me is trying to think of a word I know - my mind is a blank - then maybe 2 days later it will come to me. 

I had horrible anxiety until just a few months ago and it occurs only rarely now.  Just to let you know - I started on Bupropion (generic Wellbutrin) in May as I was not able to pull myself together.  After about 8 weeks it kicked in and I have no problems.  We have one of our favorite members who is on hiatus now, who always said it is the quality of life that matters, not whether you are med-free.  I found that out!  This works for me and will continue to take it as long as it does. 

Please keep posting and ask questions as you need - we are here for you!!

Liz

#33 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:22 AM

Mich,

don't worry too much about the weight, it will drop. keep in mind, that was 40 pounds over 9 years. that's about 4 1/2 pounds a year. expect it to come off quicker than that, but i think my situation was extreme. 

for me i quit a desk job where i sat 8-10 hours a day and quit the C about 2 months later. by then i was renovating a house and spent most of my time on my feet going up and down ladders and similar activity. that definitely contributed to the quick drop. while on the C i was still active (in spite of the fatigue) but couldn't shake an ounce. i've always eaten healthy, i didn't change a thing about my diet after i quit the C. its been the same for 30 years: no red meat, some fish and chicken otherwise, vegetarian meals the rest of the week. i've never been big on carbs. of course, stopping all that alcohol didn't hurt either! people who know me were shocked at my weight loss - because it was so fast. friends thought i was hiding a serious illness. i guess i was, severe anxiety. that causes serious gastro distress, not to mention the C withdrawal itself causes all sorts of stomach and intestinal issues. i had the runs for a month. if you aren't having the gastro issues it will probably take longer.

quite frankly losing the weight added ten years to my face. i feel weaker too. 

i know nothing about the taste/smell thing. that's unfortunate. seems like TFL had that problem. i think i've seen others here discuss some respiratory issues - could it be allergies? 

so are your withdrawal symptoms primarily physical or mental, such as depression and/or anxiety? i had a lot of muscular and skeletal pain with the gastro issues and then there was the anxiety. when the physical symptoms cycled up the mental ones would subside, and then the mental ones would cycle up and the physical would give me a break. it was often like that for the first 6 months or so. after that the physical faded away for the most part. for the past year or so its just been the anxiety that i still have to work on. it is getting much better overall. during the christmas holidays i ended up taking a few steps back but that's over now so i look forward to resuming my routine.

if there is anything else i can recommend its that: routine. keep as much consistency to your schedule as possible!

;-)

#34 Michgirl

Michgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:49 PM

Hi everyone -

I have been thinking of you guys all week and wanting to update you on happenings.  So much to say but we are all busy so I'll try to be succinct.

This is Day 36 and I am thankful because I am determined to be thankful and if I weren't I wouldn't be making it.  I am inching towards turning corners and I am better but I have to really think about it to see it.

I did see my Psychiatrist.  It normally takes 3 or 4 months to get an appointment but she had her secretary call me and make an appointment several days after I emailed her to tell her that I went off the Cymbalta and what was going on.  She was supportive but is concerned about relapse.  I'm not.  I'm concerned about getting out of this prolonged withdrawal from this med.  I'll deal with relapse if it comes but right now it's not even making the short list.  

Although supportive my Psychiatrist just couldn't accept that the withdrawal symptoms were all from Cymbalta.  She wanted to chalk some up to my age and menopause.  I'm 45.  She started me on Lamictal in 2011 and within months of taking it I began to go into menopause.  I have no doubt it was not coincidence.  She began to say that many people my age and stage are forgetting things and having trouble with recall.  And true I was having some of that but not as bad as at the present.  I'm having such cruddy cognitive problems that I wonder if I will ever be able to return to work.  I'll take this one step at a time though.

I don't feel good but I can't say I feel awful.  I definitely do not feel like myself.  In a sense I feel like I'm not really present but I'm not apathetic either.  In fact, my husband said I'm more apt to smile and laugh lately.  Go figure...I don't have Cymbalta to make me numb.

Thank you for the words of encouragement.  I read this thread over each time I come so please know your words do not fall on deaf ears.  It's a scary ride.  I think I did to much last week and I kept thinking of fishinghats advice "slow and steady" "don't overdue".  I finally cried today and it was cathartic as I was able to feel some release.  I think we all ought to be given some sort of prize for making it through...not that people should do it the way I did but anyone weaning down "pearl by pearl" or those of us who didn't know and did it by abruptly withdrawing then made it through the rough route.

Well I think I said succinct and I'm not holding to that.  

Here is what is going on: 

Brain fog/Tunnel vision/Forgetfulness/Impaired concentration - this is slightly improved since I last checked in but I'm talking only slightly.  I was able to hold a give and take conversation today whereas before I could not have focused or assimilated information in a conversation.  The last two days have been disappointing as I feel like I took a step forward this past week got a glimpse or peek at reality and then this weekend it felt like I took a step or two back symptom wise.

Well here is the run down on my symptoms:

Hazy vision (the room seems more dim to me than to my family) - comes and goes to degrees but I've not been totally free of it.

Tinnitus - the low pitch buzzing has turned into more of a high pitch sound which is less annoying.

Apathy - this has decreased.  I am more in tune with conversations and have concern again over what my children and watching, doing etc.

Flushing and intermittent sweating - has markedly decreased during the day but I still have it at night.

Hyper sensitivity to allergens (I’m not necessarily an allergic person) - this is less heightened but I can have a drink of cold water and a literal tingle will develop in my nose and resulting filling of mucus.

Bronchiole irritation/Coughing/Nasal congestion - markedly decreased but not entirely gone.

None or lack of taste in mouth when eating and drinking - my sense of taste seems to be coming back bit by bit.

Taste of what seems like chlorine when breathing - this is gone and has been replace by an intermittent smell of ammonia.  I'd say I'm probably blowing off the chemical through my lungs it obviously has an alkalinity state to it.

Spine pain - Decreased.  I can turn in bed now w/o much pain.

Chills/Shivering - gone

Muscle twitching in both eyelids - almost gone

Fear/Anxiety - Anxiety is a problem and I have to really use some CBT to keep it from escalating (I'm paying attn. brz)

Restless legs - this has come back and has been keeping me from getting to sleep which in turn escalates all the other withdrawal symptoms.

GI - seems my body want to volley back and forth between irritability and constipation.

So I guess this is the end of week 5.  If I heard you guys correctly this is pretty close to how this goes for someone in my shoes (albeit much worse for many sufferers).

brz - "consistency"...noted.

fishinghat..."slow and steady"...trying my best.

TFL..."this will end"...keeping this in mind.

I am trusting in deliverance at Day 36.  

Thank you all for your encouragement and if there is anyone reading this thread and going through this do not do as I did.  Count your "pearls" and save yourself the pain of prolonged withdrawal symptoms.

- Michgirl

#35 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:42 AM

Michgirl,

its not easy to recognize that in spite of the pain and suffering you are currently experiencing that you have the vision to see there is another side... the fact that you are remaining positive is totally in your favor. it took me 6 months to get through the physical stuff, but for some it takes longer. the mental is something that i still have to work on. but i have gone over a month at a time without anxiety messing with my head. during the tough times, even after a year off the C, i questioned whether or not i should go back on some kind of med but was determined not to. folks here gave me support and help in understanding that what i was feeling was not unusual an that it will pass - even a year later. 

as for your psychiatrist wanting to blame your symptoms on your age... such as forgetfulness and recall. that's bunk. that's total crap. that's totally pathetic. your p-doc is being defensive and does not want to accept the reality of wht you are going through and why. it is true that recall/forgetfulness can be caused by anxiety at any age!... but its not because of your age. i am so sorry she said that to you. 

as for the lamictal triggering menopause... can't say that happened to me. started it at 40 and went through the M at 51.

all the best to you. it will get better, you will be okay!

#36 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:25 AM

Doing a great job MG!!

I read the list of symptoms and sounds like Cymbalta withdrawal to me. You should print off the list and come back and read it in 4 weeks, You will be surprised how many have disappeared. When you are finished with this you will be amazed at how much greif Cymbalta can cause.

Keep up the good work!!

#37 Michgirl

Michgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:50 AM

Hi everyone -  It is now day 47 (wow) 

Although I remain positive and hopeful I still am dealing with withdrawal side effects (is it justified to call some of it an actual detoxing of the med. I wonder?).

I have a lot of anger over this med and the injustice of not only it but the harm it has done and is doing to people trying to get help and trying to get off of it.  I am trying to contain the angry thoughts and set them aside for now until I can unpack them and do something useful with them when I am fully well and ready to do so.  

There are times I talk myself out of eating something that will not be helpful in getting healthy and purging this junk from my system just b/c I want to have a pity party and remind myself that I have resolved that Cymbalta Will. Not. Win. AND Has. No. Rights. To. Me.

I have been seeing my holistic practitioner twice a week to have supplements tweaked and I know I am fairing better than most.  We decided to do a monitored purifying cleanse to move nudge the drug out of my body more and I've been doing ok.  The fact that I have little to no smell is very helpful b/c I am not tempted by foods.  My taste buds seem to be perking up and returning a bit but I think they are influenced greatly by the lack of smell from what I read.  

The ammonia taste I had coming from my lungs has subsided which I take as a good sign that I'm moving stuff out or have moved a heavier portion of it out.  I know I have a ways to go.  I really don't like to exercise if truth be told but I'm doing a bit.  I can't remember if I told you I hauled out my mini trampoline in order to jump on it for the sake of moving the lymph system.  I feel very congested on the right side of my neck yet I don't have a sore throat so I assume it is stagnant lymph activity causing this.  I'm a nurse so I can understand if this is boring but I find it interesting especially since western medicine laughs in the face of more holistic practices.  I don't.  I've been drinking Kombucha too (get some if you've never had it) it is a great natural probiotic and I can buy it in regular grocery stores and I might have the wherewithal now to make it myself as I have done it in the past.

Thank you all for keeping in touch with me.  Knowing I don't walk this alone means a significant amount to me and I know to others here.  I am surviving and I will survive.  I know it's not over but it will be and I am moving towards health and being well.  Stay healthy everyone. Thinking of you all -

MG

What am I dealing with and what has gotten better:

Brain fog - It's a feeling of not really being present.  I can't explain it.  Does anyone else have a better way of saying this?

Tunnel vision - gets worse when I am in a crowded place like the grocery store or a house with more than say 8 people.

Concentration - better but by evening it's challenging. 

Tinnitus - the loud fan or lawn mower sound is gone thank goodness.  I believe I have a high pitched but soft sound yet going on at times.

Apathy - I have a little more care for what my children are doing and saying.  Thankfully we raised them well and they have handled this rough patch relatively well.

Flushing and sweating - definitely decreased sweating but I still deal with flushing but way less than it was.  Night time is the worst I believe.

Allergen sensitivity - being a nonallergic person this is decreased as well.

Cough and nasal congestion - has decreased.  If I jump on the trampoline it increases...lymph drainage I assume.

Back pain - decreased significantly but not gone.

Chills/shivering - almost completely gone. 

Lightheaded - has come back once in awhile

Restless leg - significantly decreased thank goodness

No nausea or vomiting or diarrhea. 

#38 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:01 PM

Sounds like you are progressing along the typical path. You attitude (anger) can make your strong. Stay the course!!

#39 Michgirl

Michgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:22 PM

Everyone -

Did you go through ups and downs with this thing?  One week decent and one week crud?  Last week I actually got dressed in more than my typical yoga style outfit.  Since Sunday I have been wanting to run away from myself.  The anxiety is so high.  This is day 53 (7 weeks 4 days.  Yes, I am counting each and every day).  I think the tinnitus is gone but everything seems to remain the same with the exception of anxiety which is higher.  I HATE THIS!!!!!  I've come so far and yet I feel like I'm in the wilderness with nowhere to go or run and every way I turn it looks the same.  It's hard to talk myself into knowing this is the drug withdrawal and not me but it's so hard to differentiate it having been like this for so long now.  I'm trying to remain hopeful and stay the course but wow.  

Why do I have this feeling of being outside of myself.  I have a hard time concentrating and if I had to tell you back an anecdote you just told me I'd be at a loss.

Do you guys want me to start a new thread of some sort or is this one decent to follow.  Thank you so much for being here.

#40 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:37 PM

Oh Michgirl. So sorry but typical;. The swings and severe anxiety are probably at their peak about now. Soon you will start to notice the good days come along more often and the bad days get shorter. As always that will be a slow process as well but you will get there.

And don't worry about where to post. This is as good as any.

Hang in there, you are approaching the turning point. God Bless.

#41 ButterflyWings63

ButterflyWings63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:14 PM

Just checking in.  Hang in there, Michgirl. 

I quit tapering last summer because of withdrawal, got on a low dose of Zoloft and it took six months for me to feel "good" again.

That was after going from 60 to 40 mg after being on C for 10 years.

I saw a different psychiatrist for something else today. I told him I'm resigned to only tapering 10 mg. per
year because I've been on it for so long.

I swear he said he's got 'norepenipheran" (sp??) if I want to go through the tapering off process faster.

Has anyone heard of this??

For now I'm trusting my instincts and don't trust the doctors.  Have found they are wrong more than they are

right. 

#42 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:49 PM

Hi BFW

He meant norepinephrine. (sometimes called) noradrenaline). It is as strong a stimulant as adrenaline and is a key factor in causing anxiety. Cymbalta is in the family snri which stands for 'serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor' because it reduces the stimulating effect of serotonin and norepinephrine. I don't know how he could possible use this to treat you in any way.

#43 Michgirl

Michgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:17 PM

Day 56 (8 weeks)

I made it through the past week where Mon - Wed were a trial.  It was hard to remind myself that this is one of those down cycles and it wouldn't last.  But wow.  I literally felt like I wanted to run away from myself - the problem obviously was that I'd have to take me along but you probably get what I'm saying -The feeling that your right back in the midst of withdrawal where you don't want to be.  

I'm making it though.  I've lost 4 pounds and went with a neighbor this morning to a water HIIT class which actually kicked my butt.  I wish I would loose more weight and just be done with this.  I know this stuff is in all this weight (fat) I have on and it's leaching out as I loose weight.  But I'm just reminding myself of your words "slow and steady".  

Two of my children have colds this week and typically I'm more attentive to helping them through it with broth, supplements and essential oils but I'm having a difficult time handling the extras along with getting myself through this.  I pray their colds are quickly resolved and I've got to remember I can only do so much in any one area.  We eat very healthy so I'm going to rely on good nutrition for their healing.  I don't typically pick up much in the way of viruses lately with all the body heat I produce from either menopause or withdrawal or both.

Thank you for continuing to encourage and remind me of brighter days to come.  I went back and reread all you wrote again today to remind myself of when this will end and that my symptoms are not out of the ordinary.  

Here is week 8 symptoms:

1. Brain fog - It's slowly clearing and cylical

2. Tunnel vision - I think its better.  I did grocery shop with my kids the other day which is a first.

3. Concentration - better but by evening it's challenging. Very frustrating.

4. Tinnitus - the loud fan noise is gone but I do have some high pitched noise.

5.  Apathy - Better but frustrating b/c of concentration.

6.  Flushing - I get warm during the day occasionally and night time is decreased in intensity and frequency.

7. Allergen sensitivity - up a little b/c I went to see someone to do Lymph Drainage Massage.

8.  Cough and nasal congestion - Almost gone.  I feel like I can hear now.

9. Back pain - Lower lumber/Sacral

10. Chills/shivering - Gone with the exception of after the Deep Lymphatic Massage I presume detox. 

11. Restless leg - almost gone.

#44 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for posting Michgirl. we want to keep up with how you are doing.

Hang in there.

#45 Michgirl

Michgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:01 PM

Well here I am.  Week 9.  I had some ups and downs this week.  The past two days have been ups but certainly not pristine just in relation to others during this time frame.  But I am making it.  In fact, my husband went out of town which means I was here homeschooling and holding the edges together solo.  I thought he said he was due back on Friday but found out Wednesday that he actually isn't due in until tonight.  I'm glad I was under the assumption he was home Friday otherwise I think I would have really fretted about the week.  This way I was into the week already when I found out.  And guess what?  I am alive.  The house is clean, laundry is done and I was able to keep my cool with my kids and get schoolwork done.  

Why is the house clean?  Glad you asked...I have someone come in and clean for me every other Friday.  I emphasize me b/c the rooms my girls have to clean do not get done by the house cleaner but by them.  I make that very clear to them that the house cleaner is for me as it helps me stay afloat b/c I am do not have "it" (whatever "it" is) altogether.  I get overwhelmed if the house is cluttered up especially right now when I am fighting for my life against this withdrawal.

I am doing the Whole30 this month to stay away from sugar and grains of all sorts. More to give my body a break as I don't need to be fighting Cymbalta withdrawal and giving in to unhealthy eating.  This is one of the scariest things I've done - walking through this - but I'm reminded of the song by Madissa - Overcomer.  It's worth the search on Youtube...I'll wait here while you look  ;)

I also, don't ask me why b/c my short term memory is disfuctional at present, thought about that nutritionist Ann Louise Gettleman - the Fat Flush lady.  Realizing the Cymbalta is stored in the fat cells I got to thinking this might be a good read as I'd like to take a hose to my fat cells and clear them all of this crap.  I'm a nurse with a bent towards holistic stuff so I think about this kind of stuff.

I have been frustrated by the short term memory loss and the cloudy/tunnel vision thinking.  It makes me frustrated with life and then everyone gets the short of the stick around here which isn't fair to anyone.  Anyway, I started reading Gettleman's book on Fitness and recalled she had a cranberry juice (organic, no-sugar, cold pressed) water concoction she says to use so I dropped kiddos off at the library for a program and headed to Kroger to get this stuff and I really think this has contributed to a clearer functioning head over the past 24+ hours.  I drank a lot of water before but now that I've added the cranberry water I think I'm flushing some more of this toxin out.

My symptoms haven't changed since my last up date.  Perhaps I should share the cranberry water idea.

#46 Michgirl

Michgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:14 PM

The one symptom above the fog/tunnel vision that is bothersome is the tinnitus.  It's no longer the motor sound but it's a high pitched sound that I wish weren't there.  Any idea how long this will last??

#47 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:01 PM

Michgirl.

Sorry to hear that but that is one symptom that I didn't have, though others here have suffered.

I know that there is a med for it which I think is OTC but can't think of the name

Hopefully someone will hop on here soon - but then, it's Super Bowl time :( 

#48 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:10 PM

Michgirl, hello!

Tinnitus, I believe, is one of the symptoms that lasts quite a while here.

I remember that many members talked about that. In moments of tiredness or stress or a variation of temperature or climate, the "music" is louder! Beautiful sound, right? I have it,
But had it before. At this moment, I hear it loud and clear. The more I focus on it,the more I hear it. Mine is the zingggggg type.

Liz, I think that you may have mistaken this with another symptom, as there is no known remedy for it except TIME.

#49 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:39 PM

Michgirl,

Not sure if I may have found something helpful, but you might like to check out Lipo-Flavonoid.com

#50 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:55 PM

Michgirl,

i've been out of pocket, but have the time to respond. expect your recovery to be very cyclic at this point. you'll get a good day (or even just half day) and then the symptoms kick it up a notch, then more respite and on and on, up and down.

i must say that you are now entering the time frame of what was some of the toughest times for me - months 3-5 counting from when i was totally off the C. i don't want to scare you, only let you know that it is normal if things seem to be getting worse. in the long term, you will be okay! for me i had a lot of aches and pains, but it was the anxiety/memory/concentration issues that i cared about. the pain was bad, but fear, dread and the feeling i was going mad was terrifying during that time. i will say that you appear to be doing much better than many if not most. congratulations!

i made sure i saw my therapist every couple weeks and ate well. exercise and any vigorous activity almost always helped and every time i socialized, symptoms vanished! my anxiety is generalized, social anxiety has never been an issue for me. the only supplements i took at that time were a very high dose of omega 3 fish oil (3000 mg of fish oil that includes 980 mgs of active omega 3) and magnesium  - which i still do. any supplement that you feel is helping, by all means stay with it! i did take kava kava, very infrequently and did not drink alcohol at that time. i don't make recommendations one way or the other about it because of the alleged liver toxicity - a very rare occurrence and still not conclusive it was the kava that induced the reported incidences. however, based on my research i am comfortable with the risk. others are not, including members on this forum. legal pharmaceuticals have proportionately harmed more. in my case the kava did bring relief. it took the edge off when things got really bad and helped me focus on mindfulness and other self help cognitive skills i learned in therapy.

21 months after coming off the C i still feel the anxiety rise when under stress, but things continue to improve. instead of focusing on getting rid of anxiety i work on accepting it and riding it out. i recognize it can't hurt me and that it is more important in staying engaged in whatever activity i am involved with. at this point the biggest challenge for me is not to over-react and blow things out of proportion. i have a tendency to "catastrophize" - a common symptom of anxiety.

we are all rooting for you as you continue your journey through recovery

#51 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 10 February 2016 - 12:50 AM

Hi Michgirl

You sound like you are at the point of going forward and seeing more and more improvements each day and week. There is nothing that says you will continue to suffer for the months ahead as some do. There are those that do but there are many more who do not so stay positive. With how well you did while your husband was away I would guess that you will be one of the ones who will not have a long battle ahead.

I do understand about the clutter though. It would frustrate the heck out of my during my withdrawal and still is something that I do not tolerate well. I read a saying that says "Clutter causes chaos in the brain" and I know that is true for me lol. My Hubbie is a clutter bug so I spend a lot of time going behind him and tidying things up.

I know that I suffered from Tinnitus to a degree although not as bad as others. It does go away in time just like the short term memory lose and the cloudy or tunnel vision does so hang in there. All of these things will correct themselves. I found that the more I challenged myself to do more each day the better I felt.

In spite of what Cymbalta did to me, I do try to be the voice of reason here and remind everyone of all the success stories that have gone on here. You have reminded me of a nurse who was so determined to beat this drug that she was back working 4 weeks after going cold turkey from 60mg. She still had some withdrawal symptoms but she did not let them slow her down. By 12 weeks off she was back to being herself again. She drank a lot of fruit waters too now that you have reminded me of that as well.

All the best to you Michgirl

Nancy

#52 Michgirl

Michgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:58 PM

First to all you seasoned members who have been watching me - thank you, thank you, thank you for responding to me as I walk forward through this.  Your far away I know...but I'm oh so glad to have each and every one of you here rooting me on and reminding me that this is tough but it's going to be OK.  I read through everything you say and am resting in your knowledge of what you and others here have been through.  Knowing what I am going through is normal is a relief.

The last time I checked in was at week 9 when my husband was out of town and things were going fairly well.  Once he arrived home within 24 hours he had the flu.  My respite was not available as he was in bed.  We have no family near by to help nor if they were I don't believe they would understand anyway as a medication withdrawal is not an easy thing to understand or grasp for many many people.

My husband was really ill (I assume he picked it on the plane home) and was in bed for 6 days.  Each of my three girls (11, 9 and 9) got it about 3 days apart from the other and all of them just as ill.  My stress was up, way up.  I made it through without getting it but having everyone ill and trying to deal with my own health was miserable.  Girls up in the night waking me up and vomiting - you get the picture. 

This is week 12.  I was hoping to be much farther along in the healing process but I had a horrible episode this past week where all the symptoms seemed to be back perhaps not quite as bad as in the beginning but bad enough that I seriously considered going to the ER.  It was truly scary to feel the anxiety, high pitch tinnitus, tunnel vision, altered cognition, hazy vision etc. come back on again like this. I've been taking some good supplements from a holistic practitioner and  I pray this is the last time I go through a set back this bad and I continue to move forward.  Even if I cycle through some bad days I hope that it won't be bad like this time. I'm more positive today and was able to make meals for everyone where the past few days I had to rely on my husband to make dinner which I hate doing b/c he gets home late and everyone is hungry.  He is going to school for his doctorates full time and working part time (talk about yet another stress to add in) thank goodness he will be done with coursework in August and will begin to write his dissertation soon after.

Thanks for hanging in there with me.  Someday soon here I will be better...much better.

#53 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:04 PM

What a bummer!!  I hope they are all feeling better now. That 'step backwards' is so common during withdrawal but as you say each time it seems to be less of a step back. Stability will come in time.

#54 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:15 PM

That must have been really rough but you should pat yourself on the back for taking care of everyone while they were sick especially after running things on your own for awhile.

The sudden setbacks can be very demoralizing but you do get through them. Often times they are the result of losing weight or even something we eat or plain old not getting enough sleep which sounds like it might have been the reason in your case. I know I used to get kicked back when I did not get enough sleep which was very often as I was having trouble sleeping.

Do not worry those setbacks come less and less often as you get more time off that nasty drug and you have done really well to date.

Take care of you

Nancy

#55 Michgirl

Michgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:53 AM

Thank you for checking in on me and supporting me.  It, as I know I say a lot, is invaluable.  To know you have a group of people standing behind you and supporting what I've done is a blessing.  I've not fully felt better even yet but I am once again here for a long weekend on my own as my husband had a talk he needed to give in Denver.  He won't be leaving again until June thankfully.  Hopefully I can be further alone in this by then and learn what I need to do to keep a relapse at bay.  Yesterday two out of three of my kiddos went to a friends most of the day and my oldest had a friend over leaving me time to get organized for another week of homeschooling.  I think I have been pushing myself too much which fh advised me against so I need to back off and re-evaluate again.  I haven't been getting outside for fresh air or sun with the exception of running kids to their various activities.  I probably shouldn't be driving...

Cymbalta withdrawal is one horrible beast...but I think I've got to quit fighting against it and let my brain simply heal.  As you have said "Take Care of Me" otherwise I won't be able to care for anyone else around here.  I'm eating well, drinking plenty of fluids I think I need more rest.  Going through hormonal shifts in my 40's is hard enough and then to have this added to the mix has been hard.  Sleep is so disrupted but I fear taking a nap b/c then I don't know if I'll sleep that night.

Well, I'm not sure what else to say but thank you for your time.

MG

#56 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:20 PM

Michgirl

A 20 minute nap can be just the thing to help you get through the day, just make sure it is only 20 minutes by setting an alarm or timer. You have a lot to take care of each day and if 20 minutes of down time helps then give it a try. If you find it keeps you from sleeping at night then you can stop napping but most of us have found that a rest when we needed it really helps. Just do not nap too late in the day.

Take care of you

Nancy

#57 Michgirl

Michgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:43 PM

Hi everyone -

I'm not doing well.  Anxiety is so bad.  I'm not sure how much longer I can keep this up.  I get anxious with just about everything and I can't talk myself down.  I'm taking the Omega oils and several other supplements.  I was exercising with regularity and this past week I just couldn't get myself up and going.  I'm loosing hope and it bring tears to my eyes to say it.  I'm not sure what to do about it anymore.   I hit that down spell around the 1st of March and I haven't seem to come back from it.  

My husband is doing so much for me so that I can just keep going everyday but it's weary and I feel so bad for him.  I don't know if I said or not but last August he was asked to leave his job after not being willing to go against policy.  We hired a lawyer and had several weeks of negotiations and received 9 months of severance but it was stressful and he jumped into taking 9 credits towards finishing up his doctorate.  It was stressful - we both took it really hard.  He has 7 credits this semester and is working for another employer part time with full benefits.  The state has lost some paperwork showing money we were given for a scholarship (now turned loan) and has been threatening that if we don't pay it back they will turn us into state collections for more than the amount we borrowed.  I have an 83 year old dad who is blind and needs extra attention although he does live in a senior independent living situation. 

I can't go through this right now yet I'm 3 months and 2 weeks out from the last dose I took.  How much longer will this go on?  I pray at times just to make it through the next 30 min.  Any thoughts?  Encouragement so needed.  What have others done to get through this at this point?  Do I continue to hang in there?

#58 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:30 PM

Hey Michgirl

So sorry that you are having such a miserable time...it is so unfortunate that some of us have terrible withdrawal while others seem to get off this poison quite easily.  Even though you have been off 3 months and were exercising last month, this withdrawal is very cyclic - it should not be too long before the good days will become more and more frequent.

Since I also had an awful time, I can commiserate.  At 3 months I was about where you are now.  Are you taking anything for the anxiety?  I had never experienced it until the withdrawal.  Some have found that Benadryl is helpful but I must admit that I was taking 1mg of Alprazolam (Xanax) twice a day - sometimes 3 times a day.  Benzos are not meant to be used for a long period of time but I don't know how I would have made it without.

I went to my son's wedding in Hawaii after I had been off about 7 months and the anxiety was beyond anything I had ever felt before.  I know now that I should never have gone.

I still suffer from concentration problems and short term memory loss, but I don't mean to scare you.  This is not necessarily true for everyone.  Also, I am much older than you...

Your husband sounds like a saint!  You are very fortunate to have him - I went through all of this alone (except for my 2 dogs!) and it wasn't easy.

Please continue to keep us updated and I wish you better days soon

Liz

#59 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:16 PM

Hi Michgirl

I was like that at 12 weeks off, I could not drive because I became so anxious when I left my house. Finally I got to see a psychiatrist and she convinced me to try a low dose of 10mg of Zoloft (generic name sertraline). That was the answer for my anxiety. I was feeling better within a week. I did not have to take it for very long either and it is really easy to stop because of the long half life.

I know that is probably not the kind of answer you wanted but really the Quality of life is the most important thing. If you need something to help you over this anxiety then do it. Benzos are addictive so you have to be careful with those.

Talk to your doctor about your anxiety.

TryinginFL is right about your husband. He does sound like a saint.

Take care of you

Nancy

#60 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:15 AM

You hang in there girl. You should start turning the corner any day. Your husband understands. You both know that life is a matter of ups and downs. When a down cycle comes along you just have to help each other get through it. BUT  it WILL end. God bless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users