• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:
    Needing support while going through withdrawl

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:34 PM

Hey all - 

The anxiety got so bad that by morning I told my husband that this just is no way to live and I had to do something.  I had 1 mg of Ativan left over in the cupboard and I had him bring me 1/2 of it.  I fell back to sleep and slept for almost 3 hours without any interruption.  It was the most hours I've slept in a row for 4 or 5 months now.  This feels like the perfect storm - the hotflashes I'm having from early menopause along with the cymbalta withdrawal amongst life's challenges.

My sleep is interrupted by hot flashes about every two hours and they last at least 5 min. from start to finish which is just enough to wake me up and give my mind time to begin getting anxious causing me not to sleep all over again then the process repeats itself in about 2 hours.  This is night after night for. months. 

I sent my psychiatrist  a message over the health portal telling her what has been happening.  She has worked with me for almost 12 years now and I let her know what was going on and that I was requesting Ativan to get me through this.  Just taking the 0.5 mg made a difference in my day - not stellar but enough to do more than just make it by.  

Thank you for being here.  If you have any suggestions let me know.

MC

#62 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:21 AM

Have you tried benadryl or melatonin yet?

#63 Michgirl

Michgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:44 AM

fh - I haven't tried benadryl and I tried Melatonin last night for the first time.  It's a good quality made by a company call Energetix.  I felt like my sleep was artificial which is strange considering it's a natural supplement.  I took ambien several years ago b/c the anti depressant I was on caused me to have sleep problems and I had amnesia night walking with that and had to discontinue use.  I had the same feeling on the Melatonin last night as if I was asleep but not really.  I wish it would have worked b/c supposedly it helps with ringing in the ears too.  

Lack of sleep is what threw me into taking anti-depressants almost 12 years ago.  After I had my first daughter I had severe post partum depression and had to be hospitalized for psychosis and fear that I would hurt my daughter and myself.  I weaned off all those meds and was pregnant with our twins 2 years later and probably went trough post traumatic stuff and used ativan during that pregnancy to keep the anxiety at bay over whether I'd go through the psychosis again after giving birth to the twins.  I didn't go back on the anti-depressants right away b/c I was nursing but I continued the ativan.  I should have, in hindsight, never gone back on an anti depressant b/c I was actually doing ok.  I can't live in reverse though.  I weaned myself off of the ativan shortly after and well you know the story - antidepressant begins not to work, gets switched, works for awhile then they add something else to help plus a sleeper.  And here I am now reaping the aftermath of all of it.

As for benadryl - I guess I will try it.  I seem to be sensitive to meds and supplements of all kinds.  I have a 1/2 of ativan left and I probably will take that tonight to get a decent sleep - I hope.   Maybe if I can get a decent nights sleep that will cut this cycle of not sleeping a bit and give me some wings.  I am concerned with getting hooked on ativan even though I've weaned from it before.  Wish the Melatonin had worked but I'm scared to try it out again at least not yet.  I need sleep first.  I'm continuing to hang in there.  All of you being here for support has helped me tremendously knowing I'm not in this place alone.

Thanks for checking on me.

MG

#64 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 22 March 2016 - 04:45 PM

MG,

Oestrogen therapy????

Yes, benadryl is good for sleep. 50mg.
And no, you are not alone in this.

Of course, your most important need at the moment is to sleep.

I hope you do find relief soon. You will, prayer for you tonite.♥

#65 Michgirl

Michgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:08 AM

Hi everyone -  I can not say I am feeling much better.  I am getting better sleep some nights by taking 0.5 - 0.75 mg of ativan but I am still highly anxious.  I feel desperate to find an answer and to get rid of it.  I seriously do not know how much longer I can hang in there with this much anxiety.  

The adrenaline of being anxious is causing more adrenaline and greater anxiety.  I have an appt. with my psych. MD next week to make a plan.  I'm scared she is going to suggest medications as the answer.  I might almost be willing and that scares me.  I wanted to be clean of this stuff.  Looking back I can see that Cymbalta made me angry and agitated.  I have kids...I don't want to ruin them by taking medications that make me angry.   I'm not necessarily depressed but I am very anxious to the point of freezing up on almost everything. It's depressing to have all this anxiety and not know when it will stop but I worry about everything...dinner plans, future plans, my dad, which history curriculum to choose, the cat, my husband... you get the idea.

I'm at a lose as to what to try to help.  I go get messages and that helps for a bit, I take supplements and I'm thinking of trying talk therapy but running to all these appointments causes more stress to everyone and guess what? more anxiety for me and then that's the less I am home to pick up the house and I'm rushing to make dinner and that causes anxiety and let's not get into money. 

I actually took 0.25 mg of ativan this morning to get myself under control.  I'm trying to take the least amount that can give a positive effect here.  

Any suggestions??

#66 RusselSprout

RusselSprout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:16 PM

Hi Michgirl,
I'm new here & just read your whole thread. I'm a homeschooling mom of 5; I feel for you! I've been having trouble getting to sleep, too. My SIL (who is having similar side effect issues due to steroid therapy for Crohn's) recently mentioned drinking valerian tea every night. I also read a book I found at the library--Spontaneous Happiness by Dr. Weil--that valerian capsules at bedtime can help. (I already take Natural Calm Magnesium at bedtime, which is also relaxing.) The valerian/mag combo (when I remember to do both) doesn't act like a sleeping pill or anything of that sort, but it does physically relax me so I can drift to sleep more easily. Unfortunately, the valerian smells like death. The tea I got is mixed with some nice-smelling herbs, so it's actually good, but the capsules! Ew! I guess I can get over the stink if it helps. :P

#67 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:24 PM

Nothing wrong with that combo Russell but we have had some members get into trouble with reactions between prescriptions and herbals like valerian so plese check drug compatibility before using.

Michgirl, many drs prescribe clonidine to control adrenaline. It fools the brain into thinking there is too much adrenaline in the brain so it reduces the production of adrenaline. It may also lower BP and cause sleepiness (which is usually short term only). Standard dose is 0.1 mg twice per day. You do not build up tolerance and the there is no withdrawal except a jump in bp for about 2 weeks. Even that can be avoided is you cut back over a 2 or 3 week period.

#68 RusselSprout

RusselSprout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:04 PM

Nothing wrong with that combo Russell but we have had some members get into trouble with reactions between prescriptions and herbals like valerian so plese check drug compatibility before using.

Yeah, always a good idea to check interactions first; I should've mentioned that. (My pdoc knows I'm taking this, and is fine with it, btw.) :)

#69 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:51 PM

I had a reaction to valerian but then that is nothing new for me.

What I did find helpful was Lemon Balm Tea which I can drink at any time of the day and it helps. When I have it at night with the meds that relax me I am sure to sleep though so if you are going to try it then do so in the evening in case it makes you sleepy.

I can make a travel mug of my Tea and take it with me when I know a situation is going to cause anxiety mind you my anxiety is pretty mild now compared to what it was when I first got off Cymbalta.

At that time as soon as I had to leave home I was a basket case and my gp doc threatening to put me in the hospital all the time did not help. By the time that I was having anxiety at home too I had to give in and agree with my new psychiatrist to go on a very low dose of Zoloft (10mg).

As much as I did not want to take anymore antidepressants, I have never regretted agreeing to try it as it fixed my anxiety and after being on it for 6 weeks I was able to wean off it slowly with no side effects at all and the anxiety that did return was very mild and easily controlled. At least it was until something happened that caused my PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) to come roaring back on me but that is another story altogether and I dealt with that through talk therapy.

Don't be afraid to try what the doctor suggests. Ask for the lowest dose possible to try and something that has a long half life. At worst it will not help so you can stop easily but it may help you immensely.

If I have learned anything at all in the 3 years since I took my last Crapalta it is that sometimes we do need to get help in pill form to deal with some of the side effects that this drug left us with and I have more than my fair share of continuing problems all because I took it.

Take care of you

Nancy

#70 Michgirl

Michgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:17 PM

Nancy,

Well stated. Thank you. I will try and be open to what she has to say on Tuesday. The reason for going on the Cymbalta for me was that the SSRI's didn't work but that was almost 12 years ago. I'm wondering if they would work now or at least cut the anxiety down. I honestly make myself smile in an effort to increase endorphins. fh sent me a list of things to do for sleep which has been helpful. I've also started to drink cherry juice 90 min. before bed - supposedly it has naturally occurring melatonin.

The ringing in my ears is enough to make me stressed let alone the weird head feeling. I feel better today at least I have some hope back. My sister moved my dad from independent living into assisted living this past week. She's taken the brunt of the work on with him and I'm trying to not feel guilty. I finally told her what was going in with me she seemed to be understanding but she hates all the natural routes I take to try and get off meds. I feel like a Lone Ranger. I'm not opposed to utilizing medications I just don't want to be left on them as the doc's slowly gave me more and more meds to counteract the effects. Adjust. Increase. Repeat. Add to. Now give her a sleeper. Now give her a mood stabilizer. I finally had to make a decision and get off it all. I just would never ever go again off without weaning first.

#71 Michgirl

Michgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:20 AM

Hi everyone -

I had my appt. with my psych doc yesterday.  It boils down to this.  I have been seeing her for almost 12 years and she said during that time she has seen me exhibit the tendencies of atypical depression with anxiety.  What does that mean.  Well, the atypical is when I feel rather pessimistic about life in general always asking the questions "When is this going to end?" "Why is it not ending?" ruminating on and dwelling on and questioning everything happening to me.  Being what to others is overly sensitive feeling rejected and somewhat outcast with an upturn of my feelings when something I perceive as good going on in my life.  As much as I don't want to admit it it's an accurate description. I can remember my very first episode of real scary up at night anxiety at the age of 14.  

She said there are several things I can think about doing.  One would be 40 min. of exercise, that brings up the heart rate and sweating, a minimum of 4 days a week with 20 min. of mindfulness everyday.  Mindfulness probably isn't a bad idea anyway.  40 min. of doing exercise everyday would be good for me but realistically I'm not sure it will happen with homeschooling and life plus I feel paralyzed with fear that I won't do it (plus I have to do it "right" b/c that's my typical mode of op).  The second option was some sort of new treatment with brain stimulation (not the ECT).  Third was to go back on meds.  The medication she suggested for sleep was either Atarax by prescription or I could take the similar equivalent of Unisom OTC.  or I could try Benadryl.  For the anxiety she suggested I go back on Lamictal.  I was on that along with Cymbalta last year.  I looked it up and found that there seems to be a group of people out there taking it with some decent results for depression and anxiety not reacting to SSRI's.  It's all so very scarey.  4 months ago I went off of everything thinking I'd be "clean" and on my way with a happy life now I'm looking at possibly taking Lamicatal??

So scared and so confused.

MG

#72 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 April 2016 - 10:33 AM

First of all the worrying about why so long, why is this happening, fear and panic about your health, medicines, etc and 'overly sensitive; are classic symptoms of anxiety. Actually her suggestions make sense. the time issue for exercise, well there is not much you can do about that. The mindfulness is a good idea but I think it should be supplemented with cognitive behavioral therapy where you can learn many little things you can do to improve handling and minimizing your anxiety. The brain stimulation has come a long way in the last few years but it really depends on which type it is. If you can find a name for the method she has in mind I will be glad to research it. BUT one thing she is missing is the withdrawal. I dare say we all went through this after Cymbalta. And just my opinion it will fade away. If you can handle it then it is better than going back on more meds.  Atarax, good choice. No withdrawal, can be very effective, It will cause sleepiness at first so start up with a slow dose at bed time and slowly increase dose and frequency as you adjust. It can also cause a modest drop in blood pressure so monitor it. You should adapt to that in a couple weeks as well. I have done great on Atarax (hydroxyzine pamoate) myself. If you go on Atarax (an antihistamine) you can not take Unisom OTC. or Benadryl with it. They are all antihistamines. If the Atarax does not work you can always try the Unisom or Benadryl. Another good choice is clonidine. Typically very effective against anxiety, no withdrawal and the same criteria as Atarax as far as sleepiness and bp.

LAMICTAL (lamotrigine), serious withdrawal. FDA warning on possible serious skin rashes, other side effects. Checkit out at Drugs.com.

I hope I haven't confused you.

#73 Michgirl

Michgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:03 PM

fh -

No.  Not confused by what you have said.  Scared to death.  The therapy she suggested looking into is called RTMS. My husband wants me to wait 4-6 weeks before taking anything other than the Atarax for sleep.    I don't want to go on anything.  I was on Lamictal while I was on Cymbalta and weaned off  the Lamictal first last year before Cymbalta.  The list of side effects with Lamictal are an added stressor to me...I've read them and I'm scared.  I didn't have any side effects that I know of with it last time but its a drug how can I not have any side effect.

I've been doing muscle testing for supplements with a holistic practitioner, cranial sacral message, praying and I'm weary so very weary.  It feels like I will never get better on my own and I'm scared.  It felt like my pdoc had me down to a T...ruminative thoughts - I'm not good enough, will I ever find anything to help, I'm a burden...  It was hard and today of course I'm going over and over in my head and asking if it's just better to go back on something.  I need an answer.  I don't know how long I can go on with this anxiety.  Yesterday was 4 months off Cymbalta. pdoc suggested I try a Mindfulness class they have where I see her (its a large University hospital).

I have my first therapy session tonight with someone who was recommended to me.  Hopefully we can begin to work through and on some stuff.  Any suggestions, even if you've made them before, please let me know.  Please don't give up hope for me.

MG

#74 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:47 PM

I will never give up MG!!

Not my style, beside, been there and know how you feel. Those feelings are all part of the withdrawal. You have seen some of the posts by others that took 6 mths to a year or more to come out of it. I think right now the key is the Atarax. I would add that I think your plan is good. Change one thing at a time so that if things get better or worse you will know what caused it. Get some rest  (Atarax) and the world will seem brighter. I will check out the RTMS and let you know what I find.

Just hang in there.

God Bless

#75 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:25 PM

Hello MG,

What a struggle you are going through. Hey Fishinghat, got my thoughts about this, hope you do OK by this.

First, as our dear Thismoment used to say, get that anxiety down. As you can not function right or think right under the heavyweight of anxiety, whatever the symptoms are. I found out that Benadryl was a good choice a bit too late.

I had given myself a time line of seven months when I withdrawed. And I could not go on like this, was it due to cymbalta? I don't know.I did not wish for that, was at a point that I had no choice.

So started a round of meds, trial and error up to this day. What I am saying is that some of us have to be medicated. The brain chemistry is not quite stable or right.

Whatever the therapy you have, if the brain is not balanced in whatever way, it is doomed to fail but they can give you tricks to lessen the anxiety, while you get better.

Nothing wrong to be on meds if you need it to survive!

#76 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 April 2016 - 04:57 PM

No problem Gail. Yes, some of us (including me) need to be medicated (even though I will never give up the struggle to come off the meds). I am just not sure that she is at that point yet. Most of what she is experiencing could still just be withdrawal. Stay off the ssri/snri until you exhaust all other options (if you can be that tolerant of your symptoms). I agree with the Benadryl but Atarax is rated more effective than Benadryl and with Benadryl it wimps out after about 2 weeks. Atarax does not. Like any other medicine it may not work for some but I think it has the best potential. It is a tough slow painful trip but take one step at a time and with patience you will work out what is best for yourself.

That is why I am always saying 'time and patience'.

#77 Michgirl

Michgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:28 AM

I went to my first therapy session.  She is licensed but I forgot to ask if she has experience in CBT.  I'd better do that.  fh - your right about the one med at at time.  I took Ativan again last night 1 mg b/c I was scared to take the Atarax and not get sleep.  Tonight I take the Atarax at 25 mg and see how it goes.  

The therapist gave me a bunch of paperwork to fill out and my husband went with me.  Two of the forms were inventory lists for depression scale and one for anxiety scale.  The results scared me.  The depression scale showed I was severely depressed and the anxiety scale showed severe anxiety.  She didn't make a big deal of either.  When she asked if I would ever consider hurting myself I seriously couldn't answer no - I want this to end.  I'd go to the ER before I'd ever do anything and I have no plan just mental anguish.  My husband has told me that if I get to that point to let him know right away and there is to be no shame about going to the hospital for help.  He says lets try the Atarax for a week and see how it goes.  I'm trying so hard to think positive thoughts.  Keep me in your prayers.

MG (aka Amy)

#78 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:45 AM

Well MG, Take the 25 mg of atarax tonight and if it does not help with sleep you would need to go to 50 mg the next night. It is not like other meds that take time to build in the body. It will do its thing within an hour or so. Do NOT stop the Ativan as it will cause benzo withdrawal and complicate things. Yes you can take both. One change at a time. I take 50 mg at bedtime for anxiety and pain. 25 mg is a baby dose BUT the right starting dose. Don't worry if it doesn't work as typically 50 mg is the usual therapeutic dose. Keep us posted.

Working on info on RTMS and should have something for you in a couple days.

#79 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:07 PM

Amy,

Prayers for you to have the strenght and the guidance to go through this.

#80 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:54 PM

Well Amy, I just posted a bunch of information on tinnitus treatments and rTMS on "What are you Feeling" section under the thread "Ear problems - fishinghat". I hope it helps. If you need any clarification just let me know.

#81 Michgirl

Michgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 April 2016 - 11:01 AM

Thank you for the information.  

fh I wish I had read your response before I went to bed.  I took 25 mg of the Atarax and No Ativan.  I "slept" from about 10 pm to 1 am.  Woke with severe anxiety and woke my husband at 3:20 am for help.  He said take some Ativan and he waited until I fell asleep again.  Can this really be happening?  So I take it that probably I was already hooked to the Ativan for help sleeping and controlling anxiety and by body realized I did not have it even though it's only been 15 days of taking it.  Ok, now that I know I should have taken both should I take the 25 mg of Atarax and 0.75 (or 1 mg of Ativan) tonight? and how then do I know when to taper down on the Ativan?  or should I take 50 mg of Atarax and 0.75 (or 1 mg of Ativan)   This is something else to deal with.  I was really hopeful that the Atarax would work.  It did give me a weird lifelike dream where I was in the tub and couldn't wake myself up before taking in water but at the last min. I was able to shake myself out of "it" and woke up in the dream.  Perhaps I should just try Benadryl instead.

On another note.  How does one know if they are indeed through withdrawal off a drug and simply need to go on something b/c they are truly depressed and anxious or if this is the brain healing and I need to wait it out and continue to be patient.

Oh. My.

Amy

#82 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 April 2016 - 11:58 AM

Well Amy... When one goes through withdrawal, as you know, they go through hell. With time these symptoms start to fade. At some point the symptoms will stabilize or be completely gone. Once they stabilize for a period of a month or two then one needs to consider that these are returning symptoms. Each person is different so the time factors may vary but this is just a guideline not gospel. In my case after about 3 months I was not improving anymore so I went on Zoloft. I consider this a win as Cymbalta is a lot stronger than Zoloft as Cymbalta controls both serotonin and noradrenaline while Zoloft only controls serotonin. I decided to go ahead and wean off my Lorazepam will my body adjusts to no Cymbalta. Once completely of the Lorazepam I will then slowly, and I mean slowly, wean down on the Zoloft. Most people don't realize how much psych meds they can get rid of if they just go slow enough for there bidy to have time to adjust. My efforts have taken me over 10 years. At the beginning I was on 8 meds. Now I am on 3 meds and most of them are softer meds.

#83 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:02 PM

As far as your sleep....Well Ativan can be addictive in as little as 2 weeks with 1 month not uncommon.  Your body can react very quickly to reduced doses of Ativan and contributed to your sleep issues last night. Go back on Ativan. Take 25 mg of hydroxyzine tonight and see how your sleep is then. I will bet it is better. On your prescription for hydroxyzine, how many 25 mg pills a day is it for?

#84 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:07 PM

Sorry MichGirl

For some reason it won't let me post the links on the rTMS as it applies to anxiety. I will work it out though

#85 Michgirl

Michgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:08 PM

My bottle of Atarax says 25-50 mg per day.  I'm wondering if I am at a point where I need something.  The visit with my psych doc really brought me down.  I've been crying, sad etc.  I'm very scared.  I'm afraid she is going to put me on Lamictal then slowly see it's not working just to put me back on something else.  She feels she knows me since she has been with me for 12 years.  She also told me that in the psych world the saying goes "three strikes and your on" meaning if you go off your meds three times then that's the last time you do it.  I first weaned myself off of Effexor when I wanted to get pregnant again and then had an anxious pregnancy finding out we were having twins and knowing I had gone through PPD after the first.  I thought it was 1. reasonable to go off meds to get pregnant and 2. fairly reasonable to be scared about going through PPD again finding out we were having twins.

I'm stuck.  I have a doc who wants me back on.  I want to see if I can do this without meds. I'm not sleeping right.  I'm not myself and I question: is it from my own genetic makeup and I need meds for it or is it just that my brain is adjusting after being on Cymbalta for so long?  My holistic practitioners feel they can get me past this and better.  It's such a battle.  The Ativan was working to a degree for sleep.  Although I'm anxious almost all the time I only took it once during the day b/c I couldn't control the anxiety but she's not going to renew it more than once.  My husband says to take it one day at a time.

If I had the money I'd fly myself to Sedona, AZ where they have an inpatient clinic to help people withdrawing from harmful meds.  It's $22,900 for 4 weeks and they typically recommend 8 weeks.  I wish I'd never knew it existed.  It means there is help and hope for this and it feels out of my reach.  Although, anything is possible.

We'll see how tonight goes with both the 1 mg of Ativan and 25mg Atarax.  Any suggestions on, if it goes well, how to wean Ativan?  I hope I can actually ask that question in the morning.

#86 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:12 PM

If you are suffering that bad you CAN take one now and one again at bed time. It should give you relief from your anxiety and about half of the first one will be out of your system by bedtime. I think you need a break.

#87 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:15 PM

One step at a time Michgirl. Stay with the Cymbalta withdrawal until you are done then we can get you off the Ativan. Easier that the Cymbalta for sure. But one at a time is enough.

#88 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:19 PM

The effects of 3 weeks of rTMS treatment on P200 amplitude in patients with depression.

Choi KM, Jang KM, Jang KI, Um YH, Kim MS, Kim DW, Shin D, Chae JH.
Neurosci Lett. 2014 Aug 8;577:22-7. doi: 10.1016/j.neulet.2014.06.003. Epub 2014 Jun 10.

Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) for panic disorder in adults.
Li H, Wang J, Li C, Xiao Z.
Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014 Sep 17;9:CD009083. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD009083.pub2. Review.

Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation for treatment of major depressive disorder with comorbid generalized anxiety disorder.
White D, Tavakoli S.
Ann Clin Psychiatry. 2015 Aug;27(3):192-6.

Baseline 'state anxiety' influences HPA-axis sensitivity to one sham-controlled HF-rTMS session applied to the right dorsolateral prefrontal cortex.
Baeken C, Vanderhasselt MA, De Raedt R.
Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2011 Jan;36(1):60-7. doi: 10.1016/j.psyneuen.2010.06.006. Epub 2010 Jul 6.

Durability OF the antidepressant effect of the high-frequency repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) In the absence of maintenance treatment in major depression: a systematic review and meta-analysis of 16 double-blind, randomized, sham-controlled trials.
Kedzior KK, Reitz SK, Azorina V, Loo C.
Depress Anxiety. 2015 Mar;32(3):193-203. doi: 10.1002/da.22339. Epub 2015 Feb 13.

Is rTMS an effective therapeutic strategy that can be used to treat anxiety disorders?
Machado S, Paes F, Velasques B, Teixeira S, Piedade R, Ribeiro P, Nardi AE, Arias-Carrión O.
Neuropharmacology. 2012 Jan;62(1):125-34. doi: 10.1016/j.neuropharm.2011.07.024. Epub 2011 Jul 27. Review.

The value of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) for the treatment of anxiety disorders: an integrative review.
Paes F, Machado S, Arias-Carrión O, Velasques B, Teixeira S, Budde H, Cagy M, Piedade R, Ribeiro P, Huston JP, Sack AT, Nardi AE.
CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets. 2011 Aug;10(5):610-20. Review.

Antidepressant efficacy of high and low frequency rTMS at 110% of motor threshold versus sham stimulation over left prefrontal cortex.
Speer AM, Wassermann EM, Benson BE, Herscovitch P, Post RM.
Brain Stimul. 2014 Jan-Feb;7(1):36-41. doi: 10.1016/j.brs.2013.07.004. Epub 2013 Jul 29.

Are neuroticism and extraversion associated with the antidepressant effects of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS)? An exploratory 4-week trial.
Berlim MT, McGirr A, Beaulieu MM, Van den Eynde F, Turecki G.
Neurosci Lett. 2013 Feb 8;534:306-10. doi: 10.1016/j.neulet.2012.12.029. Epub 2013 Jan 3.

#89 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:34 PM

Ahhh...Success at last.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.../?term=24928222
The effects of 3 weeks of rTMS treatment on P200 amplitude in patients with depression.
Choi KM, Jang KM, Jang KI, Um YH, Kim MS, Kim DW, Shin D, Chae JH.
Neurosci Lett. 2014 Aug 8;577:22-7. doi: 10.1016/j.neulet.2014.06.003. Epub 2014 Jun 10.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.../?term=25230088
Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) for panic disorder in adults.
Li H, Wang J, Li C, Xiao Z.
Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014 Sep 17;9:CD009083. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD009083.pub2. Review.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.../?term=26247218
Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation for treatment of major depressive disorder with comorbid generalized anxiety disorder.
White D, Tavakoli S.
Ann Clin Psychiatry. 2015 Aug;27(3):192-6.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...m=20599325[uid]
Baseline 'state anxiety' influences HPA-axis sensitivity to one sham-controlled HF-rTMS session applied to the right dorsolateral prefrontal cortex.
Baeken C, Vanderhasselt MA, De Raedt R.
Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2011 Jan;36(1):60-7. doi: 10.1016/j.psyneuen.2010.06.006. Epub 2010 Jul 6.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...m=25683231[uid]
Durability OF the antidepressant effect of the high-frequency repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) In the absence of maintenance treatment in major depression: a systematic review and meta-analysis of 16 double-blind, randomized, sham-controlled trials.
Kedzior KK, Reitz SK, Azorina V, Loo C.
Depress Anxiety. 2015 Mar;32(3):193-203. doi: 10.1002/da.22339. Epub 2015 Feb 13.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...m=21807002[uid]
Is rTMS an effective therapeutic strategy that can be used to treat anxiety disorders?
Machado S, Paes F, Velasques B, Teixeira S, Piedade R, Ribeiro P, Nardi AE, Arias-Carrión O.
Neuropharmacology. 2012 Jan;62(1):125-34. doi: 10.1016/j.neuropharm.2011.07.024. Epub 2011 Jul 27. Review.
https://www.ncbi.nlm...m=21631403[uid]
The value of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) for the treatment of anxiety disorders: an integrative review.
Paes F, Machado S, Arias-Carrión O, Velasques B, Teixeira S, Budde H, Cagy M, Piedade R, Ribeiro P, Huston JP, Sack AT, Nardi AE.
CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets. 2011 Aug;10(5):610-20. Review.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...m=23928104[uid]
Antidepressant efficacy of high and low frequency rTMS at 110% of motor threshold versus sham stimulation over left prefrontal cortex.
Speer AM, Wassermann EM, Benson BE, Herscovitch P, Post RM.
Brain Stimul. 2014 Jan-Feb;7(1):36-41. doi: 10.1016/j.brs.2013.07.004. Epub 2013 Jul 29.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...m=23291399[uid]
Are neuroticism and extraversion associated with the antidepressant effects of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS)? An exploratory 4-week trial.
Berlim MT, McGirr A, Beaulieu MM, Van den Eynde F, Turecki G.
Neurosci Lett. 2013 Feb 8;534:306-10. doi: 10.1016/j.neulet.2012.12.029. Epub 2013 Jan 3.

More to follow...

#90 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:56 PM

https://www.ncbi.nlm...m=23601793[uid]
Left DLPFC rTMS stimulation reduced the anxiety bias effect or how to restore the positive memory processing in high-anxiety subjects.
Balconi M, Ferrari C.
Psychiatry Res. 2013 Oct 30;209(3):554-9. doi: 10.1016/j.psychres.2013.03.032. Epub 2013 Apr 17.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...m=24081515[uid]
[Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) for anxiety disorders--a possible therapeutic option?].
Vennewald N, Diemer J, Zwanzger P.
Fortschr Neurol Psychiatr. 2013 Oct;81(10):550-60. doi: 10.1055/s-0033-1335979. Epub 2013 Sep 30. Review. German.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...m=25659132[uid]
Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation ameliorates anxiety-like behavior and impaired sensorimotor gating in a rat model of post-traumatic stress disorder.
Wang HN, Bai YH, Chen YC, Zhang RG, Wang HH, Zhang YH, Gan JL, Peng ZW, Tan QR.
Free PMC Article

https://www.ncbi.nlm...m=24278088[uid]
Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS) to Treat Social Anxiety Disorder: Case Reports and a Review of the Literature.
Paes F, Baczynski T, Novaes F, Marinho T, Arias-Carrión O, Budde H, Sack AT, Huston JP, Almada LF, Carta M, Silva AC, Nardi AE, Machado S.
Clin Pract Epidemiol Ment Health. 2013 Oct 31;9:180-8. doi: 10.2174/1745017901309010180. eCollection 2013.
Free PMC Article

https://www.ncbi.nlm...m=22689325[uid]
rTMS stimulation on left DLPFC affects emotional cue retrieval as a function of anxiety level and gender.
Balconi M, Ferrari C.
Depress Anxiety. 2012 Nov;29(11):976-82. doi: 10.1002/da.21968. Epub 2012 Jun 11.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...m=23567611[uid]
rTMS to treat social anxiety disorder: a case report.
Paes F, Machado S, Arias-Carrión O, Silva AC, Nardi AE.
Rev Bras Psiquiatr. 2013 Mar;35(1):99-100. No abstract available.
Free Article

https://www.ncbi.nlm...m=24923343[uid]
Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) to treat refractory panic disorder patient: a case report.
Machado S, Santos V, Paes F, Arias-Carrión O, Carta MG, Silva AC, Nardi AE.
CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets. 2014;13(6):1075-8.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...m=23683151[uid]
Repeated transcranial magnetic stimulation on dorsolateral prefrontal cortex improves performance in emotional memory retrieval as a function of level of anxiety and stimulus valence.
Balconi M, Ferrari C.
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2013 May;67(4):210-8. doi: 10.1111/pcn.12041.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...m=22653158[uid]
Low-frequency rTMS over right dorsolateral prefrontal cortex in the treatment of resistant depression: cognitive improvement is independent from clinical response, resting motor threshold is related to clinical response.
Pallanti S, Di Rollo A, Antonini S, Cauli G, Hollander E, Quercioli L.
Neuropsychobiology. 2012 Jun;65(4):227-35. doi: 10.1159/000336999. Epub 2012 May 25.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...m=24757668[uid]
Does rTMS alter neurocognitive functioning in patients with panic disorder/agoraphobia? An fNIRS-based investigation of prefrontal activation during a cognitive task and its modulation via sham-controlled rTMS.
Deppermann S, Vennewald N, Diemer J, Sickinger S, Haeussinger FB, Notzon S, Laeger I, Arolt V, Ehlis AC, Zwanzger P, Fallgatter AJ.
Biomed Res Int. 2014;2014:542526. doi: 10.1155/2014/542526. Epub 2014 Mar 18.
Free PMC Article

https://www.ncbi.nlm...m=26843373[uid]
Better than treated as usual: Transcranial magnetic stimulation augmentation in selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor-refractory obsessive-compulsive disorder, mini-review and pilot open-label trial.
Pallanti S, Marras A, Salerno L, Makris N, Hollander E.
J Psychopharmacol. 2016 Feb 3. pii: 0269881116628427. [Epub ahead of print]

https://www.ncbi.nlm...m=25565694[uid]
Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation over the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex for treating posttraumatic stress disorder: an exploratory meta-analysis of randomized, double-blind and sham-controlled trials.
Berlim MT, Van Den Eynde F.
Can J Psychiatry. 2014 Sep;59(9):487-96.
Free PMC Article

https://www.ncbi.nlm...m=18572984[uid]
A preliminary study of fMRI-guided rTMS in the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder.
Bystritsky A, Kaplan JT, Feusner JD, Kerwin LE, Wadekar M, Burock M, Wu AD, Iacoboni M.
J Clin Psychiatry. 2008 Jul;69(7):1092-8.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users