#31 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:02 PM

Once you went back up to 60 for a month last year you started from scratch. You have been tapering ever since last fall, nearly 9 months. Still quite possible that it is withdrawal. You have some choices here.

1) go back up a few beads. If you respond quickly then you will know it was withdrawal.

2) Just stay at your current dosage for a couple months and see if the symptoms fade.

3) Go to the fluvoxamine and wait the 4 to 6 weeks for it to kick in and then deal with its withdrawal later or just stay on the ADs so you don't have to worry about it.

Remember, so many members take 1 to 2 years to get completely over the withdrawal. Where you are at after 9 months is about what I expected.

#32 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:01 AM

Hi Zivcha,

FH is right, where you're at after 9 mo is about par for the course ... the effects of this stuff lingers loooong after the substance is out of our system .... those symptoms you list are ones that I had ... esp. the heart palpitations (tachycardia) and sweating ("perspiration" is far too genteel a word, I sweat like the proverbial pig) ...

Back then, FH told me about the chelated magnesium, and it helped tremendously ... esp. with the horrid muscle twitches I was having.

If you try the magnesium, be aware that in a tiny % of people it causes anxiety ... long-time forum friend TFL discovered it does that to her and stopped taking it.

The key is giving yourself permission to go slow, to allow you poor brain and body to heal themselves ... I went cold turkey off of 60 mg after 7-8 years on the stuff ... it was hell. 

#33 zivcha

zivcha

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 03:33 PM

thanks alot fishinghat and FiveNotions,

your replys are encouraging. im in a bad shape and i have  twenty something mg more to go.

today was a bit better though. slept OK so my day was better.

FiveNotions, you mind if i ask what whas your daily dose of magnesium back then?

thanks.

#34 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:07 AM

I think it was 1,000 - 1,500 mg during the really ugly first 2-3 months of my cold turkey withdrawal, then dropped it back to 500-750 mg ... I seem to have lost my little notebook that I used to keep track of all the various supplements / doses I was using ... 

FH taught me to always

(1) thoroughly research / read up on each supplement before taking it

(2) start at the lowest (or even lower) recommended dose

(3) monitor how I felt before increasing the dose

Even tho' magnesium is a basic and safe supplement, the fact that TFL discovered that she's one of the very few folks in whom it causes anxiety is a perfect example of why we need to be careful ...

Our brains / bodies during withdrawal are incredibly fragile and vulnerable ... it's essential that we go slowly and carefully with anything additional that we put into them   ;)

Another "home remedy" that helped me a lot with the muscle twitches / spasms was to soak in a hot bath with epsom salts ... epsom salts are magnesium, and it's absorbed transdermally (sp?), straight into the muscles. (Pro athletes use this a lot)

#35 zivcha

zivcha

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 12:39 PM

thank you very much

#36 zivcha

zivcha

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 11:35 AM

Update:

Hey all,

a few months have passed since my last post here. I thought maybe it's a good time to update on my current status:

so, ive been off C for 2 months now. I would really like to say i feel good and stuff...but the truth is I find myself struggeling with severe anxiety.

I sleep really really bad. for years now (things have gotten worse since i stopped C). im starting to think it might damage my brain and frankly it scares me. I simply can't have one night of decent sleep. it's those heart palpitations that are killing my sleep.

i started clonidine and got to 0.075 mg but i had this fear that my heart will stop. so i couldnt sleep. so i stopped. a few days ago i tired a whole 0.1 mg and frankly it felt good. i need to give it a second shot. 

im going back to school at the end of this month. i currently work with my parents but i need to find something else for when school starts. my previous employer takes his time so i cant be sure if i will have a job during school. sure, my parents are giving me money but i find it very uncomfortable to take money from them as they also have to save money for themeselves for the years to come.

i heard meditation could really be helpful. a friend recommended Vipassana (10 days silence course where you learn how to meditate). I enrolled went there. I left on the second day as the anxiety was to damn high. not reccomended during the inital withdrawal phase. i am looking for a meditation guide book...thought i might start easy. any recomendations? :)

i started dating a girl. she's beautiful and awesome. I hope things will work out.

and, im still going to the gym and walking for 30 min each day.

so, basically these are the things that i struggle with:

1. SLEEP

2. no income - that stresses me out

3. as school starts, i know things will not be easy as i will be meeting new people under new situations. it will be a bumpy ride. I just hope i will "loose it" or anything like that :)

thank you for those who are reading.

I am sorry I am not active, I hope i can help other people in the future on this forum....

#37 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 14 October 2016 - 05:57 PM

2 months is the toughest time Zivcha. This is the time you really need patience. Try the clonidine again. It takes 1 hour for it to kick in so about an hour or hour and a half after taking it take your bp. If your bp stays good you should not have an issue. I think that your withdrawal at this point is making you paranoid which is normal. Do what you can to relax and treat yourself to a little indulgence. A bowl of ice cream, watch your favorite show, anything that is positive. Be good to yourself. Hang in there.

#38 zivcha

zivcha

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 04:19 PM

thanks fishinhat.

well..things are not getting better. and I'm going back to the university in 2 days. I sleep very bad - I don't wake up in the middle of the night but my sleep isn't deep at all. I wake up feeling very tired. and heart beats all night.

I'm considering to use SSRI such as Citalopram or Fluvoxamine, to get some more sleep. my question is - does it mean i throw away everything i have achieved in this journey? im scared to start a new thing in my life like this. on the other hand, i must do something.

what are my other options for sleeping better?

Thanks!

#39 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 28 October 2016 - 04:40 PM

Hi zivcha

Have you tried Benadryl, which can make you drowsy?  This can also help with anxiety when needed but not every day or it will lose its effectiveness.

I use acetaminophen PM and that seems to help considerably (2 tabs  about 1 hour before going to bed.)  This should help you to stay asleep as well.

Since these are both available OTC, it would eliminate having to get a new RX for another SSRI

This is worth a try ...

All the best in your return to school :)

#40 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 28 October 2016 - 05:49 PM

Rather than going on an ssri I would suggest a prescription for hydroxyzine. It is a very effective sleep aide with no withdrawal. It is not addictive and also helps with anxiety. I am afraid that if you go to the dr he/she might want you on a benzo which is effective but has a bad withdrawal.  Try the hydroxyzine.

#41 zivcha

zivcha

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 02:50 AM

Thanks TryingFL and Fishinghat,

it's not just the sleep. I'm sad lately and i'm afraid it's a bad starting point.

in case ill decide to go back to SSRI (say -  Lexapro), does this mean im back right where i started the withdrawal progress? I mean, i must have achieved something since im no longer on cymbalta.

i also wonder how hard will it be to withdraw from the SSRI compared to cymbalta

thank you.

#42 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:54 AM

Hi Zivcha,

There is nothing wrong with going back on another antidepressant. Many do need them.

Should you decide this, choosing a longer half life one is easier on withdrawal. A SSRI like Prozac or Zoloft is a good choice because of the half life here. Nothing like Cymbalta, that's for sure!

Keep us posted!

#43 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 October 2016 - 04:57 PM

It takes a long time for your nerves to settle down and relearn how to regulate emotions. How long you been off no Zivcha?

#44 zivcha

zivcha

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 01:22 AM

Thank you Gail. It's good to know that in case of choosing SSRI, withdrawal isnt as hard as cymbalta.

Fishinghat - it's been 2.5 months now since im completely off. Intense anxiety and lack of sleep.

I started school yesterday - it wasnt as bad as i feared it would be. I decided to just be my self: quiet when i feel like being quiet, friendly when i feel comfortable to be. It helped. I also jogged for 40 min in the morning and indulged myself with 0.125 mg of xanax (alprazolam) right after, I guess that helped too. i did the same today.
Well, im taking it day by day. No big future thoughts,at least im trying to develope this state of mind.
Thanks for being here

#45 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:23 AM

You should start seeing some breaks here and there in the next  weeks. Hang in there.

#46 zivcha

zivcha

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:38 AM

#47 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:25 AM

That is an option Zivcha and you have to do what you have to do. Have you considered using hydroxyzine or clonidine for the withdrawal symptoms? They are not habit forming nor do they have withdrawal. It my be a simpler better choice than a ssri in the long run.

#48 zivcha

zivcha

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:52 AM

i tired clonidine but it didnt help that much.

i didny try hydroxyzine. currently in on alprazolam 0.125 mg.

#49 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 November 2016 - 09:08 AM

Alprazolam is a benzo and very habit forming. Just to be used occasionally. Sorry the clonidine didn't work out but that can happen with any med. The hydroxyzine can be used up to 4 times per day and is non-habit forming. I would suggest giving it a try before going back on C or an ssri.

#50 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 01 November 2016 - 01:34 PM

Hi Zivcha,

Should you decide to go back on the C, try a lower dosage like 20-30mg. I don't see why you couldn't cross taper after one month. Hope you feel better, do what you need to do!

#51 zivcha

zivcha

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:38 PM

Thank you gail and fishinghat.

well...I'm meeting my psychiatrist tomorrow. we will discuss all options. probably I will get back on the poison for a while. it's jst that i can't risk my studies. that's absolutely sucks but I it's something I may need to do.

I have a few things I need to know:

1. is it true that the more you use cymbalta - the more you get depended on it? i mean, I'm using it for 6 years. let's say I'll use it for 10. will it be harder to wean off than it is now?

2. is it true that the older you are, the harder it gets to wean off?

3. by taking a lower dose (say - 20-25 mg), can the future withdrawal be easier?

if someone from the experts here knows some of the answers to these questions - it will be greatly appriciated if he\she could tell me!

#52 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 November 2016 - 04:31 PM

Zivcha

The older and the overweight you are can increase the effects of withdrawal BUT this varies a lot. While this is normally the truth there are exceptions. Research has shown that time on the drug has no effect on the withdrawal. Being on Cymbalta as little as 6 weeks can lead to a terrible withdrawal and others who have been on it years sometimes show little trouble with getting of the drug. As far as lower dose. Definitely the lower the dose the easier the withdrawal because you have less neuroreceptors that are being effected and less adapting to do when withdrawing.

#53 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 November 2016 - 05:01 PM

Hey Zivcha,

From what I have been reading here in almost 3 years, 2 years on or 7 years on has the same withdrawing symptoms. Not easier.

The younger you are the easier, the leaniest you are, the better.

I tend to believe that withdrawing from 30 is probably easier than 60.

Eventually, do think about cross tapering to an SSRI. My humble thoughts here. I wish you well!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users