14 replies to this topic

#1 Turbolag

Turbolag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 06:42 PM

Hey everyone, I just wanted to go over some nutrient al stuff. I'm still trying to understand how I should eat to control anxiety levels.

My activity levels are weight lifting and martial arts. I think my maintenance calories are around 3500. I don't want to lose anymore weight though.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:55 AM

Turbo

Just make sure you get your Omega 3 and you probably know to also make sure you get enough of the Protein if not more than you are taking.  Make sure you have good probiotics to keep your digestive tract healthy.  The smoothies with plenty of fruits and veggies help also.  These are all food which are taken for any healthy diet on a daily basis to maintain good health.  If you need to increase your calorie intake make sure it is with the above mention items.  All of these will also keep your anxiety level low and give you the nutrition you need.  There may be other types of vitamins which will help and sure others will chime in later on this.  Don't worry it's the 4th of July weekend and some members are extremely busy and might not pop in but once daily.  Be assured you are on the right tract.

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:13 AM

Hi Turbolag. Carletta's suggestions are right. In addition to the 3000 mg of omega 3 I would suggest 500 mg of vitamin C and stay hydrated.

Perhaps what is just as important is what not to eat...stimulants. Things that stimulate the nervous system includes, caffeine, sugar, salt, MSG, lactates, some food colorings and others.

• Carleeta likes this

#4 Turbolag

Turbolag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 11:48 AM

Thank you both for the response.

I have a question about the salt intake though. I workout about 6-7 days a week right now and they are longer workouts. If I'm restricting my salt intake, what way should I go about rehydration and replacing electrolytes?

Here's a sample of my current diet. This is not all the time, but it was like this for a bit. Lately I haven't been able to eat this much from feeling so bad.

Meal 1 (7-10AM) 5-8 eggs cooked in olive oil with sea salt. Or, two organic bananas with natural peanut butter.

After my workout or training: Two lara bars or 1 Lenny And Larrys Cookie.
Meal 2 (1-4pm). 1 pound of raw 90/10 ground beef cooked and seasoned with salt. 2-4 cups of rice and sautéed onions. Or, a large vegetable burrito

Meal 3 (4-8pm. 1 whole steroid free chicken with salt and garlic powder. And maybe some fruit.

Meal 4 (8-10pm. Bag of O Rida french fries with organic ketchup. And some Pamelas chocolate chip cookies, or glutino cookies, or fruit.

Fluid intake is bottled Aquafina water.

I haven't been eating any vegetables lately because the organic market is temporarily closed. I am being honest here, but if I don't get organic vegetables and some fruit, I can taste a chemical taste. So I just havent been eating any.
  • Carleeta likes this

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 July 2016 - 05:13 PM

Just try to avoid excess salts as it combines with lactic acid and or lactates to form sodium lactate a strong anxiety compound. Yes you need salt in the body and the sea salt is a good choice because it provides other necessary minerals other than sodium. Electrolyte solution is the best in an isotonic concentration. Gatoraide and most popular sports drinks are poor electrolyte alternatives. You need to investigate these closely so you can chose a good one. If get a hold on something salty it will wire me up for about 2 or 3 hours and by forcing fluids it will be excreted in no time and I will go back to 'normal".

Think isotonic electrolyte drinks.

• Carleeta likes this

#6 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:37 PM

Tubor

Sounds like a great diet plan you have there.  You are at least eating 4 times a day instead of three.  Now you question was how to incorporate more electrolytes and to hydrate more.  As Fiishinghat mentioned the electrolytes in drinks I do agree with him on Gatorade, Powerade, and the like are ok, although not the best.  It certainly won't hurt to use them because they are high in the vitamin B's and will give you loads of energy...and has a tendency to make you drink more and more and more. I see you drink Aquafina water which I do know is pirified and therefore everything is definitely been removed.  There is more salt and minerals in (smoothly broken, and smooth tasting) Evian, and FIji water.  They are costly, although you might want to incorporate a bottle of one I mentioned and bump up your Aquafino to DaSani (which are way less than Evian and FiJi, although a bit better than Aquafino).  You didn't mention how many bottles of water you drink a day.

I myself drink a bottle of Smart  Water from time to time, at least one bottle of Evian or FiJi everyday along with a local spring water in our area. 

For the amount of water you need for the amount you which is lost through perspiration is extremely important.

Keep us posted 

#7 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:42 PM

I must agree on the water - I drink only Smart Water even tho it is expensive...

Can usually find it on sale somewhere for $1 per bottle

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:47 AM

You might find these interesting. By the way bottled water is not required to meet the EPA drinking water standards.

http://www.ewg.org/h...corecard/Search
http://www.ewg.org/r...ummary-findings

#9 Turbolag

Turbolag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:13 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I think I probably drink around 5 bottles a day?

I've tried Fiji and Evian before.

What I was thinking of doing, was take a bottle of Aquafina and adding about a teaspoon of sea salt.

I'm about to read the links fh. Thanks.

I have a Britta water filter container too. It's reverse osmosis filtered I think.

What's the best source for consuming water? Bottled or filtered at home? What brand?

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 11 July 2016 - 02:05 PM

No doubt the best water is reverse osmosis water. Removes everything. If you are worried about mineral consumption then you must have a poor diet. Any kind of normal diet will provide enough of those. In addition a blood sample can confirm that. whirlpool has a nice unit (WHEER 25)that fits under the sink. It provides great water quality (My wife and I analyze ours a couple times a year).

#11 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 July 2016 - 07:05 PM

Tuber, well I must say Fishinghat is the expert in this area for sure.   You need to definitely take his advice on the water issue.  The reason I drink Evian, FiJi are only because us techs checks almost everything under the scope.  We do check many things we put in our mouth...lol lol lol.  Although I won't go against the findings Fishinghat has given us.  Might change to a filtering system now after reading these findings....hmmmm.   

#12 Turbolag

Turbolag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:38 AM

Fishinghat, what is your opinion on eating carbohydrates? Rice, potatoes, oatmeal, fruit, flour etc.

#13 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:37 PM

As far as Cymbalta withdrawal is concerned? or in general. During withdrawal I believe it is necessary to have enough carbs to offset the energy lost by the anxiety but no excess to provide unneeded energy. Now that is vague!!!   lol

On a normal diet situation I would advise a carbohydrate diet with no ingredients that are over 40% bad carbs. Fiber is a good carb and the rest are "bad" carbs (although you need some). So when you read the nutritional info on a label if it says;

Total Carbs   30 grams

Fiber              6 grams

Sugar             5 grams

That means of the 30 grams carbs 6 grams are good carbs (fiber).  That means 24 grams of bad carbs.  If you look at the serving size and it says 100 grams and 24 are bad carbs then not too bad. That is a 24% bad carb content.  If you look at the sugars, they make up 5 grams out of 24 grams of bad carbs. About 20% of the bad carbs are sugars. I would think a little too high. So the bad carbs would be acceptable but the sugar content is a little high so it may supply some sudden unneeded energy. Remember that sugar can be changed from sugar to energy in as little as 10 minutes. Keep the sugar down.

• Carleeta likes this

#14 Turbolag

Turbolag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:39 AM

Thanks for the reply man.

So what carbohydrates are safe to consume?

Russet potatoes?

Sweet potatoes?

Different types of rice?

Oatmeal?

Apples?

Bananas?

Melons?

Beans?

Any breads?

Any tortillas?

Any grains?

#15 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:13 PM

Carbohydrates are long chained sugar molecules. When digested they break down into various sugars. The majority of them are necessary to supply a long term energy supply. The only thing bad about them is if you eat too much. The extra carbohydrates you don't burn off by exercise is stored as fat and contribute to cholesterol, triglycerides and other compounds that clog arteries. The trick is to eat enough to supply your energy needs but not so much that it makes you gain weight. That is why I say limit your non-fiber carbs to foods that are 30% carbs or less. That will help keep you from loading up on too many carbs and gaining weight. All the food above are good foods but things like rice, potatoes, bread and others are 60 to 98% carbs. It doesn't take much of that to put on some pounds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users