Photo

Strange Nerve Symptoms With Withdrawals.. Help?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Cleo2002

Cleo2002

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 July 2016 - 03:29 AM

Hi there,

I decided to go with doctors orders and taper down to 30mg then stop. Yeah, right. I should have known. I went full cold turkey on Effexor years ago and went through a similar hell, albeit shorter. This is semi cold turkey I guess since I was on the lowest dose available here. I should have made a plan around pellet counting. I wasn't able to get my doctors to put me back on it the first week off, so this is my fate.

I'm 25 days in. It has all gone as worse as possible. Vertigo, brain zaps (just like Effexor oh boy!), nausea, tinnitus, rage, severe depression, insomnia, nightmares, vomiting, diareah, crawling sensations on skin, flu symptoms, temperature dysregulation. I'm sure there's others I can't remember.

Everything comes in waves. It will be horrible for a week then I think... Hey... I'm a little bit better... I'm getting better!!!!!! Then it starts again.

The diareah and vomiting are becoming an issue, atleast on this wave. I'm struggling to stay hydrated. I'm well aware if it gets any worse I'm headed to the hospital. I'm a single parent with no family so hospital is really a last resort! Not that I've been mother of the year these 25 days. He's very bored being stuck indoors with me being sick.

Two of my doctors have suggested hospital just to help me through the rest of it. It was very helpful with Effexor, but life is very different now.

So here is the part that I simply do not understand: nerve issues. My arms and legs are going numb most of the day. This started to a minor amount before withdrawals, usually only at night. Now it's 75% of the day. When they're not numb, they've got pins and needles or feel like they're on fire.
Other possible nerve issue: the back of my tongue and throat are numb. Always to a minor extent, but many times a day completely.

I feel like I've been injected with Novocain. In my throat and in all of my limbs.

Am I just having a most extensive reaction to withdrawals, or should I be going to my doctor? They already think I'm nuts being this sick. I shouldn't say that, but I really feel like I'm getting the second degree. I've tried asking this question, about the nerves, in forums and I'm getting nothing back. Please, any input! It's hard enough battling the emotions through all this, now my body is on the fritz.

Thanks

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:02 AM

Cymbalta effects the receptors in the amygdala and hippocampus in the brain. Once removed these nerves have to relearn how to properly function. They are no longer controlled by the Cymbalta and without it become very sensitive. This is one of the things that leads to such severe and varied withdrawal symptoms. In addition it regulates noradrenaline (also called norepinephrine) which is converted to adrenaline and another neurotransmitter, serotonin. Both of these neurotransmitters are very common in our body and regulate so many functions including somatic pain. The symptoms you mention I have heard about before on this site but perhaps not this severe. I can't tell you to see a dr or not. That is up to you. I can tell you that I am not shocked. As far as your symptoms at 75% of the day.... That is great. Mine, and many others, they are 24/7. Mine was that way for 3 months.

If you wish more info on the effect Cymbalta has on the brain and nerves let me know. I can put something together for you.

#3 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 03 July 2016 - 11:23 AM

I'm sorry you've been slammed so hard, Cleo, but I can't say I'm surprised ... I went CT from 60 mg, and experienced much of what you describe ... I made it through, but it was hell ... my best suggestion is that you figure out a way to get back on the stuff, at 30 mg, or even a bit higher, stay there until you're stable again (a few days through a few weeks), and then do the bead counting ...

If that's not possible, and you've got to tough it out, just know that you're not alone in these symptoms and what you're feeling ... and that we'll do everything we can to help you !

Please keep posting ... we're here for you !  :)

#4 Cleo2002

Cleo2002

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:31 PM

Cymbalta effects the receptors in the amygdala and hippocampus in the brain. Once removed these nerves have to relearn how to properly function. They are no longer controlled by the Cymbalta and without it become very sensitive. This is one of the things that leads to such severe and varied withdrawal symptoms. In addition it regulates noradrenaline (also called norepinephrine) which is converted to adrenaline and another neurotransmitter, serotonin. Both of these neurotransmitters are very common in our body and regulate so many functions including somatic pain. The symptoms you mention I have heard about before on this site but perhaps not this severe. I can't tell you to see a dr or not. That is up to you. I can tell you that I am not shocked. As far as your symptoms at 75% of the day.... That is great. Mine, and many others, they are 24/7. Mine was that way for 3 months.

If you wish more info on the effect Cymbalta has on the brain and nerves let me know. I can put something together for you.

Thank you, that wold be fantastic. I haven't run across very much. Facts comfort me!

#5 Cleo2002

Cleo2002

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:38 PM

I'm sorry you've been slammed so hard, Cleo, but I can't say I'm surprised ... I went CT from 60 mg, and experienced much of what you describe ... I made it through, but it was hell ... my best suggestion is that you figure out a way to get back on the stuff, at 30 mg, or even a bit higher, stay there until you're stable again (a few days through a few weeks), and then do the bead counting ...

If that's not possible, and you've got to tough it out, just know that you're not alone in these symptoms and what you're feeling ... and that we'll do everything we can to help you !

Please keep posting ... we're here for you !  :)

I would have loved to have gone back on and start pellet counting. My doctor doesn't think it's a good idea, she insists I should have been better by day 14. Coming up to double that! She offered to put me on something else to help but I get the feeling that has a lot of potential to be horrible. Oddly enough, knowing I'm somehow surviving, is motivating me to make changes to another medication I'm on. It's a gamble, but it won't be anything like cymbalta withdrawals. This time though I'm going to wait until school break. It's been very hard going through withdrawals as a single mom and student!

I really hope that some day the doctors get the truth, across the board. No one should have to get through this just because of ignorance. Doctors don't want to hurt us. They just don't have all of the facts!

#6 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:13 AM

Your doc is a jackass ... most docs are ... when it comes to knowing about getting off this drug, they only know what the drug co.. reps tell them ... my doctor flat-out told me I was an idiot, that there aren't any problems getting off cymbalta ... most of us here have been told something along those lines by one or more docs ...

We just ignore them, and follow the instructions of the folks here who've been through this, and know how to dose down sensibly.... using the bead counting method ...

Avoid the whole issue ... Just tell him/her that you've decided you want to go back on Cymbalta, at your last highest dose ... use the new prescription to stabilize, and start bead counting your way down ... then, once you're safely off the stuff, tell your doc you're off of it ... :P

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 July 2016 - 04:04 PM

Amen

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 July 2016 - 04:07 PM

Cleo

I will do but I may not finish until tomorrow.

#9 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:40 AM

Cleo, about 1/3rd through my research. Didn't want you to think I had forgotten you.

#10 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 05 July 2016 - 11:05 AM

Cleo, how are you doing? Please let us know !  :)

#11 emoothart

emoothart

Advanced Member

• Site Supporter
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 02:10 PM

fishinghat, you're such a wonderful (and kind!) resource for us! :)

#12 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:33 PM

OK Cleo, I have finished the literature search, Now all I have to do is organize it and translate it.  lol

I think everyone will find it interesting. Should get it done this weekend.

#13 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:45 AM

Hey Cleo, I finally finished the research. I will post it under Medical Support.

#14 kr15sy

kr15sy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:26 PM

I am new to this forum and am so glad that I found it! I was on Cymbalta prior to Nov. 2014, but after emergency gallbladder surgery, was able to stop 60mg then 30 mg with seemingly no issues. Then in July 2015, after the sudden illness and death of my mother, because of anxiety and tearfulness, I went back on and was pretty stable until now. I really want to get off meds, learn strategies to deal with life's ups and downs, and get healthy without drugs. I don't have severe depression to where I can't get out of bed or anything, and with the help of a therapist and Christian counseling, think I can do it. I started going down to 30mg and then nothing, and I got slammed! Brain zaps, stupid mistakes (some while driving 😬), intestinal issues, ringing in my ears, biting on the inside of my mouth, headaches and tearfulness. I'm a mess! I thought it was the bone broth that I made, ( the intestinal part)! 😂 I have been focusing on going Paleo to get healthy and lose weight, and after reading Dr. Kelly Brogan's A Mind of Your Own, and Dr. Perlmutter's Grain Brain, found out about the connection between your gut and your brain. Makes sense!

Anyway, I was reading a post about counting beads to taper off. I started up the 30mg again today to try to get some relief and am wondering how long I should stay on 30mg before counting. Appreciate any input❣

#15 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:00 AM

Hi kr. It sounds like you have a good plan. By the way I am a firm believer in the brain/gut/skin connection. It has been out there for years and makes good sense. 

Thus should not be done in a hurry. There is no reason to suffer any more than necessary. Time and patience.

God bless

#16 kr15sy

kr15sy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:14 AM

Thank you, your posts have been extremely helpful. Would a temporary stint on both Cymbalta and Bropion have caused even more symptoms? I tapered off a small dose of the Broprion first but consecutively with the Cymbalta.

What is a good time frame for staying on the 30mg? Days, weeks?
There were a few posts with differing taper schedules. Which one will cause fewer symptoms? And should I be supplementing with anything other than fish oil while I do this?

#17 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:28 AM

I would suggest stay on the 30 mg until you feel good enough to start dropping again. That could take weeks or even a couple months. Then I would start dropping at around 2 beads per day. If it starts to get bade stop stabilize then change to 1 bead a day. If there is no ill effect within a couple weeks then try 3 beads a day. Just adjust how fast you drop depending on how you feel. Each time you are at a new drop rate give it at least two weeks before you make the decision to drop faster. It sometime takes that long for symptoms to kick in.

I bet that was as clear as mud!!  lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users