8 replies to this topic

#1 jaredlvaughn

jaredlvaughn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 11:07 AM

Hello,

I recently joined this site looking for help. I started taking Paxil for anxiety around February of last year. It had no effect, so my doctor switched me to Cymbalta in February of this year. I had reservations, after looking at the withdrawal symptoms, but was assured that I would NEED the med forever and wouldn't have to worry about it. 

After taking the med, and increasing the dosage to 90mg daily, it only made the panic attacks worse and increased my anxiety.

The doctor "weaned me off" and i have been off of it for 5 days as of this post. The brain zaps are killer, and i'm curious as to how long to expect them, since I was only on the med for a few months?!?! 

Is this something that should end soon? I'm completely debilitated by these zaps and vertigo. I can't drive, as turning my head sets them off. I can't work, because of the distraction and pain every few seconds from these zaps.

I'm sure some people have been on this med for much longer, but I'm just wondering if anyone can give me an idea of now long to expect this to continue, if I was only on 90mg/daily for 4 months.

Thanks in advance for your help!

#2 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 10 July 2016 - 01:02 PM

Hi Jared, welcome to the forum, I'm glad you found us !

Get yourself back on the Cymbalta, at the last dose level at which you felt no withdrawal effects (full 90 if need be) ... stay there until you feel completely stable and the zaps have stopped. Then, dose down slowly, using the bead counting method, over an extended period of time ... others here will chime in to tell you more ... I don't feel I should be the one to give you specifics, as I quit cold turkey, and paid the price for doing so .... almost a year of hell.

Docs have no clue about how hard it is to get off this drug, they know only what the drug co. reps tell them ... which for sure isn't the truth ...

Do you have enough of the poison to do a longer term dose-down? If not, ask your doc for a refill ... if you don't think he/she will support you in this process, don't tell them what you plan to do, just say you've decided to stay on it. Then, bead count down with our help, and tell your doc after you've done it and are off it safely.

It's not "lying," it's self-preservation !   :P

Also, be sure to drink lots of water / fluids (herb tea, juice, etc is ok too ... just avoid alcohol and caffeine), take a multi vitamin, b complex, omega 3, and chelated magnesium.

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 July 2016 - 01:29 PM

FN is right on. The symptoms you feel will eventually change to severe mood swings, gastric problems and much more. The symptoms can last from 4 to 12 months and can become quite severe.

#4 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 10 July 2016 - 02:11 PM

Hello Jared,

I imagine that with the panic and anxiety through the roof with 90 mg, you must not like the idea to go back on 90. I sure wouldn't!

Perhaps the 30 mg? Might help with the brain zaps. Might be the dose you are comfortable with. I wish that for you.

#5 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:34 PM

Jared, Gail makes a very good point ... if the full 90 made your anxiety worse, then go back to a lower dose ... whatever level at which you can get the zaps to stop and you can get stable, then dose down slowly from there ... just be aware, dosing down too fast will likely also bring on anxiety as well ... 

Keep us posted on how you're doing, and we'll do our best to help you !

#6 Gran23

Gran23

Advanced Member

• Site Supporter
  • 43 posts
  • why_joining:
    Want off Cymbalta for good

Posted 11 July 2016 - 07:17 AM

Welcome Jared. Sorry to hear about your problems but I'm not surprised, because most everyone I've heard about will have some type of withdrawal symptoms.  I personally have not had the brain zaps and feel blessed.  I tried to go off Cymbalta two years ago and had several anxiety and depression, so I went back on it and started doing some investigating on my own.  I found this forum and others which have been very helpful.  The folks on here know more about the ways Cymbalta can destroy your life than doctors will ever know; unless they have their own personal experience with it.  I started in January counting the "beads" in my capsules and I'm down to 10mg from 60mg. My capsules have 12 "pellets" in each capsule.  Every generic is different and the brand name caps have tiny beads which if you are have severe withdrawal would be better to work with than the pellets; you can control the dosage better.  I have decreased one pellet every 2 to 4 weeks since January based on how I feel.  My major withdrawal symptoms have been nervousness, anxiety and gastric problems.  I haven't fallen into depression or severe anxiety I believe because I have decreased so slowly and I have found a great faith in God.  If your doctor is not cooperative, find another one.  I never told my doctor this time that I was going to start decreasing, I just continue to have my scripts filled and continue with my plan.  I have read several postings about exercise, nutrition and supplements, but I will admit my fitness and nutrition are not the best. Find as much info as you can.  This whole forum, all the topics, is a great starting point.  Go back on whatever dose makes you comfort again and wait a few weeks to start your bead or pellet counting.  Since you are having severe severe withdrawal symptoms, I would recommend that you have capsules with the tiny beads.  I don't know which generics have those, maybe someone on here will have that info or maybe ask your pharmacist for help.  Search the internet for every bit of info you can find and print it off or bookmark it to re-read when you need a refresher.  There's two Facebook groups of people who are dealing with the very common problem of Cymbalta withdrawal. I use every possible support to help me get thru this but this forum is my favorite because the folks are non-judgmental and I have not seen the drama that pops up on some of the other sites.  Don't get me wrong, those other sites are well worth the drama you have to filter thru!  I'm sorry this has turned into a long posting but I want you to know there are people who are going thru the same thing you are and everyone cares and wants to help.  I hope you are able to get back on the Cymbalta soon and then restart withdrawing in a slow manner so that you don't have the severe symptoms you are experiencing now.  Be good to yourself and may God bless you.

#7 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 11 July 2016 - 07:57 AM

Gran, fabulous post ! And BRAVO for your approach, and how well you're doing !!   :D

What you said here is essential -- "I never told my doctor this time that I was going to start decreasing, I just continue to have my scripts filled and continue with my plan."

So happy to hear from you !

#8 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:05 PM

Jared, Don't panic! The brain zapps are a normal withdrawal symptom. You should get yourself back on 30mor 60mgs of cymbalta and start to feel comfortable and stable.  Once you feel stable then you can start using the method of bead counting and this will definitely be explained to you in detail once you feel stabilized and comfortable.  I understand all too well about the panic attacks, which is why right now getting back on a comfortable dosage will help your anxiety lower and rid the brains zapps.  Some of us do come on so strong in our post because they have quit cold turkey and experienced some very bad withdrawal symptoms and they are afraid you will experience the same.  So please take it slow, don't panic, and get yourself to a comfortable dosage and someone here will explain from there what you should do.  Take care of yourself and waiting to hear from you very soon.

#9 emoothart

emoothart

Advanced Member

• Site Supporter
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:47 AM

Hi Jared,

How are you feeling today?  Did you go back on a low dose?  I hope you're doing better. Hang in there; we're all cheering for you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users