God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:19 PM

Serotonin 5‑HT6 Receptor Antagonists for the Treatment of Cognitive Deficiency in Alzheimer’s Disease (full text, 2014)

http://research.ucm....36.bellinda.pdf

Abstract

ABSTRACT: Alzheimer’s disease (AD) is one of the most frequent causes of death and disability worldwide and has a significant clinical and socioeconomic impact. In the search for novel therapeutic strategies, serotonin 5-HT6 receptor (5- HT6R) has been proposed as a promising drug target for cognition enhancement in AD. This manuscript reviews the compelling evidence for the implication of this receptor in learning and memory processes. We have summarized the current status of the medicinal chemistry of 5-HT6R antagonists and the encouraging preclinical findings that demonstrate their significant procognitive behavioral effects in a number of learning paradigms, probably acting through modulation of multiple neurotransmitter systems and signaling pathways.

The results of the ongoing clinical trials are eagerly awaited to shed some light on the validation of 5-HT6R antagonists as a new drug class for the treatment of symptomatic cognitive impairment in AD, either as stand-alone therapy or in combination with established agents.

#2 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:37 PM

Wow,  this is a good outlook for AD.  It's horrible as I watched my mother, my grandmother, and my two aunts (my mom's sisters) have suffered/suffer from.  I'm hoping there is much more than can do for this.....alhough it was Dimentia they had.......

Thank you FiveNotions......a certain eye opener 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users