#1 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,868 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 August 2016 - 12:46 PM

Well there has been some unexpected changes to my condition lately and mostly to the positive.

If you read some of my previous posts you will note that I have dropped taking my magnesium lately. It got too high and my calcium too low. In addition, with my diet changes my irritable bowel has disappeared. With it gone I thought I should try Omega 3 again for my high triglycerides. My drs concurred so I went on a 1200 mg/day dose of EPA and DHA. Much to my surprise my anxiety has improved and my ability to increase my withdrawal from lorazepam has increased. I have only been able to drop a 1/2% every month on the Lorazepam but now I am up to 1.7% a month with no noticeable withdrawal symptoms. I still continue to increase my withdrawal rate be it VEEEERY slowly.

Is it the coming off the magnesium that has allowed this or perhaps the use of the Omega 3? I have been digging into the medical research and there is much of it that actually recommends taking extra magnesium during benzo withdrawal. There is no research on the use of Omega 3 for treatment of benzo withdrawal but, as you all know, a lot of research on the use of Omega 3 for improving anxiety levels. Is this something that has been seriously lacking from my diet? Logic tells me it is probably from the Omega 3. We will see how it plays out.

• Wagtail , gail , TryinginFL and 1 other like this

#2 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 15 August 2016 - 03:15 PM

I started taking Omega 3 in higher doses again after a short time off of it as I found my anxiety returning.

It really works for me. I take one that is meant to calm you and is a high potency EPA formula

#3 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:30 PM

Fisherman, LadyNancy,

First, FH, happy for your progress. Lots of great info also.

About omega, what would be the EPA and DHA milligrams?

I have, Fish oil 1000mg, EPA 180mg and DHA 120mg. I neglect to take them but you both say that it is good for anxiety. So I am wondering here...is it enough? One capsule daily? Thanks!

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,868 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:21 PM

Omega 3 is recommended at 2000 mg/day EPA and DHA for anxiety, give or take a couple hundred depending on what research you read. It has been shown that only the EPA and DHA components effect anxiety. Any other omega 3 fatty acids don't do anything for anxiety. You really need to get a better omega 3 Gail. Mine is a 1200 mg/day dose of EPA and DHA.
  • gail and Gran23 like this

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,868 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:26 PM

FYI

Omega-3 fatty acids — are polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs). The three types of omega-3 fatty acids involved in human physiology are α-linolenic acid (ALA) (found in plant oils), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) (both commonly found in marine oils).

• Gran23 likes this

#6 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:37 PM

Thanks, not sure if we got that high a dosage of EPA and DHA here.

Will look it up.
  • Gran23 likes this

#7 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:53 PM

My 1000 mg capsules contain 510 mg EPA and 190 mg DHA and they recommend that you take 3 per day.

I find that I can get away with only taking 2 or 2000 mg per day but I do best if I take 3 or 3000 mg.

I had to get my pharmacist to special order it for me as many of the new formulas are coming out as Brain and that is High Potency DHA and it did not help me at all.

I do not know if that helps but this is what I do.

• Gran23 likes this

#8 Raven72

Raven72

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationSomewhere In The Stratosphere
  • why_joining:
    Additional support outside my atmosphere.

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:27 PM

My 1200 capsules have 720mg combined EPA and DHA. I currently take 3 capsules each morning. Suggestions FH?
  • Gran23 likes this

#9 Gran23

Gran23

Advanced Member

• Site Supporter
  • 43 posts
  • why_joining:
    Want off Cymbalta for good

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:53 AM

FH sounds like you are doing great!  This post has helped me out greatly.  A few months back I was having trouble with my fish oil making me burp and having and after taste.  I switched to flax seed oil caps.  I've slowly had anxiety coming back and blamed it on the withdrawal process.  This probably explains my problem.  I will get back on the fish oil with EPA and DHA ASAP.  So glad I found this post this morning. Thanks so much!

#10 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:55 AM

My 1000 mg capsules contain 510 mg EPA and 190 mg DHA and they recommend that you take 3 per day.
I find that I can get away with only taking 2 or 2000 mg per day but I do best if I take 3 or 3000 mg.
I had to get my pharmacist to special order it for me as many of the new formulas are coming out as Brain and that is High Potency DHA and it did not help me at all.
I do not know if that helps but this is what I do.

Thanks LadyNancy, exactly what I wanted to know.
Can you tell me what company makes them?

#11 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,868 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:14 AM

Excellent post LN. Right on.

Raven, it sounds like you made a good choice. Looks great.

Gail, the company I use is Life Extensions, Mega EPA/DHA. It is distilled so you don't get any impurities with your product plus it contains no mercury. I get it from Amazon.

#12 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:56 AM

Mine are Jamieson Brand but I am in Canada and that is a Canadian company so I do not know if they can be ordered online. It is a very popular brand here and every drugstore carries their products.

• gail likes this

#13 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 August 2016 - 05:50 PM

OK, got that checked out.

Bought New Roots at my health store.

1400mg fish oil
650mg EPA
100mg DHA

Twice a day. So on my way to join the fishy club! Thanks again.

#14 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 17 August 2016 - 12:29 AM

Omega 3 is recommended at 2000 mg/day EPA and DHA for anxiety, give or take a couple hundred depending on what research you read. It has been shown that only the EPA and DHA components effect anxiety. Any other omega 3 fatty acids don't do anything for anxiety. You really need to get a better omega 3 Gailhttps://www.facebook...12771735619771/. Mine is a 1200 mg/day dose of EPA and DHA.

Mine is called Bio-Active Lipids by Orthoplex.... Concentrated Omega -3 triglycerides 1000 mg... EPA 360 mg...DHA 240 mg
Haven't been taking any supplements since I got IBS & put on the Fodmap diet but would do anything to be anxiety free . Fishing hat what is you opinion, should I take twice daily?....

#15 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:36 AM

Hey Wagtail,

So nice to see you, missed you! Visit more often.

I will let Fishinghat answer your question.
  • Wagtail likes this

#16 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,868 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:19 AM

Absolutely!!  That would be a great idea.

• Wagtail likes this

#17 Turbolag

Turbolag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:19 PM

Is Cod Liver oil ok to use for your fish oil supplement? I was using pills, but there were some ingredients in the pills I didn't want to take. So with cod liver oil, it's just oil.

#18 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,868 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:42 PM

Cod liver oil you buy in the store may be are rich in mercury and pesticides. The liver is the pollutant filter for the body. Cod livers are from the top of the food chain and pollutant levels are usually significant. Be sure to get one that is purified and verified mercury free. I don't believe there is and verified pesticide free. Great care must be used in selecting one. It also contains fairly significant levels of vitamin A and D and toxic doses are known to occur. Routine blood analysis for Vit A and D should be done every 6 months.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users