65 replies to this topic

#31 emoothart

emoothart

Advanced Member

• Site Supporter
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:07 PM

BB,

Some of us have found that anxiety is a side effect of cymbalta.  So your paranoia might be related.

#32 BobbieBoop

BobbieBoop

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:02 PM

Emoothart

I believe that also.  I have never felt this way before. I'm just taking one day at a time.  Hopefully soon I will be over all of this. I'm hoping to wake up one day symptom free. I was on the this medication for a neck injury.  I think the withdrawal has made those injuries worse.

#33 BobbieBoop

BobbieBoop

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 09 September 2016 - 01:12 PM

I feel like Iv'e been slammed with physical side affect to this horrible medication.  I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'm hopeful that in the next few week I will wake up and not have body aches or this stupid throat feeling.  Some of these symptoms seem to go and then come back  Is that normal? 

#34 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 September 2016 - 01:17 PM

Perfectly normal and it drives us crazy. And about the time one symptom completely disappears then another one begins. I do believe you are over the hump. I see small periods of improvement from time to time. Do you agree?

#35 BobbieBoop

BobbieBoop

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 09 September 2016 - 01:34 PM

Yes FH I would agree. I do notice that my Neck Injury  that effects my left arm has been much worse.  I think I read that that could happen,  I woke up feeling pretty good. I feel like my body has a lot a electric pulses.  If that make since. Overall I do think I'm feeling better.  I don't enjoy the throat thing.  It kind of drives me nuts!

#36 BobbieBoop

BobbieBoop

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 09 September 2016 - 02:19 PM

I do have moments that I feel pretty achy still. I stay pretty  busy so maybe I'm just over doing it.

#37 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:07 PM

BB hello!

That you can stay busy is a lot! Something I couldn't do, so miserable with anxiety and fear that it occupied my brain full time.
Progress is not linear as life is not linear!

#38 BobbieBoop

BobbieBoop

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:28 PM

Thanks Gail

I'm just tired of the tightening in my stomach and throat and all the weird sensations!  

#39 BobbieBoop

BobbieBoop

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:41 PM

FN
Why does this withdrawal cause tightening? I'm trying to explain it to my son. Right now my arms, chest and neck are experiencing this wonderful withdrawal symptom.

#40 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:20 AM

Cymbalta controls noradrenaline and serotonin in the body. Both are strong neurotransmitters heavily associated with nerves that go to muscles. Now that the Cymbalta is gone these two neurotransmitters basically run uncontrolled. Sometimes they are elevated and the muscles tighten up and sometimes they are at low level and the individual is weak and fatigued. Eventually your body will re-establish it natural control mechanisms and things will get a lot better.

Good luck explaining that to a child.  lol

#41 BobbieBoop

BobbieBoop

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:56 AM

Thanks FN

He's 25!

#42 BobbieBoop

BobbieBoop

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 10 September 2016 - 10:00 AM

One other thing I have a hard time explaining. Why the symptoms last so long?

#43 BobbieBoop

BobbieBoop

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 10 September 2016 - 10:22 AM

I feel like the child lately..lol

#44 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 September 2016 - 10:59 AM

Being 25 will help. I was afraid he might be 7 or 8. That would be a challenge.

As far as the length of time, well, nerves heal and respond very slowly. In general drs say 2 years for a nerve to respond to negative situations. The receptors in the nerves can actually change shape to 'fit' the medicine. It can take these receptors a long time to return to normal PLUS your body has feedback mechanisms so it can detect when there is too little or two much of a neurotransmitter. The feed back mechanisms are not used much when you lean on a medicine like Cymbalta. Once off the drug your brain must relearn how to recognize these feedbacks and once that occurs it has to re-learn how not to over respond to them. Sometimes it produces the correct amount of control and some times it overreacts, explaining the ups and downs of your symptoms. As time passes the brain starts to stabilize and be more consistent with its control.

#45 BobbieBoop

BobbieBoop

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:02 AM

Update

I have been feeling better,  I seem to have new symptoms but they are not as bad as in the beginning.  Seem the cramps and pain has moved to my limbs, neck and my throat  feels strained almost. I think that is why it feels that something is stuck in there. My bowels seem to be back to normal. My forearms seem to ache after I have been on the computer for awhile.   It comes and goes but is way less then before. Thanks to all of you for your help! 

#46 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:22 PM

I am so glad Bobbie. I remember the difficulty I had swallowing. It was very uncomfortable and concerning. Keep on keeping on.

#47 BobbieBoop

BobbieBoop

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:49 PM

FH

I really hate this withdrawal.  I feel pretty good in boom.  The last few days I have had pain and cramping sensitization in my thighs and knees and my arms.   Trying to be patience. Just need it still a normal symptom and that it will go away.

#48 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:27 AM

It is rough and wears on a person but it does get better.

#49 BobbieBoop

BobbieBoop

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:54 AM

I've been afraid to take anything to help them symptoms or exercise. I'm going to start supplements and start walking. Do you think exercise helps or does it make them symptoms worse? I will start taking omega 3, vitamin C and is there anything else I should take?

#50 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:01 AM

You hit on the key things Bobbie. The exercise will help just don't push yourself too hard. Remember to stay hydrated. That will help also.

#51 Lala

Lala

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCape Town, South Africa

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:59 AM

Hi, is it "normal"  to feel the following: 

- sharp pains/jabs in random muscles

- flu-like symptoms

- mild diarrhea

- occasional impatience/irritation

I have been tapering for 2 weeks. I was taking Cymbalta for 2 years 30mg daily.

#52 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:39 AM

Not unusual at all Lala. Actually quite common. The symptoms can get a lot worse so my recommendation would be to stay at your current dosage until things settle down and then go back to tapering. I assume you are doing bead counting.

#53 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:48 AM

Hello Lala,

Fishinghat is right, this is really commun to have these symptoms. Go slow and come back as often as you want. It's nice to see someone from Africa!

#54 BobbieBoop

BobbieBoop

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:26 AM

Horrible night. Kept waking up in a panic. I'm not sure I'm Strong enough. Weird prickly sensations in my arms ,back, neck and chest. Plus the tightening. I almost thought to just go take a cymbalta. I didn't but it was scary. FH my neck injury seems to be worse. Is that normal? I have 2 herniated disks, cord contusion and spinal stenosis. I'm wondering if my symptoms are from my neck now. My throat feels weird. I never had pain in my right arm but now I do. When I push on my neck it really radiates the pain to my right shoulder, upper arm and forearm. I have lots of tingling in my left hand which I had prior to this posion. Any suggestions?

#55 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 October 2016 - 02:25 PM

You need to get the panic under control. The panic makes you stiffer and have more pain which in turn makes you panic more. I would suggest Benadryl at night for sleep and/or clonidine or hydroxyzine to help you relax. I know you don't want to take more medicines but these are not addictive and can give you some temporary relief from the panic and anxiety. I really hate to see you suffer needlessly.

Just my opinion but I think the continuing pain and muscle problems are making your panic worse. The rebound in pain is very common after coming off Cymbalta. Even new pains and aches develop. If my feeble memory is right then you are around 3 months off the stuff, right?  If so I would expect some let up in the physical discomfort anytime but you (I am afraid) are going to be a slow to heal person. I looked back at your posts over the last month and the physical symptoms really come and go a lot. I also notice that there has been slight variations in the symptoms over time. If it was due only to the herniated discs, spinal stenosis, etc then I would expect the symptoms to be more consistent. Like I said a few days back, just give it one more month. If it is mostly withdrawal it should be better by then for sure, even if you are slow to recover.

I understand your suffering. My wife had two herniated discs in a 10 day period that both required emergency surgery. She has had vertebrae fusion in her neck, she still has foraminal stenosis which effects her left arm, a pinched nerve which effects her right arm and has had an artificial disc inserted in her lower spinal column. I won't even mention her pain levels.

#56 BobbieBoop

BobbieBoop

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:58 PM

Wow your poor wife. I think I know this deep down but when my pain is back and my neck contracts and my throat feels weird it's hard to not go to that weird place. I literally woke up in a panic just getting zapped like crazy. Neil, I really appreciate you. I have the larzapan but I'm not going there. I'm calling on Monday for a script. The hard thing is my GP doesn't think the withdrawa5is still going. He will prescribe for me though.

#57 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:15 PM

Good luck with the dr and let us know what he does.

#58 BobbieBoop

BobbieBoop

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 03 October 2016 - 10:57 AM

FH, 

I put a call into my Dr. this morning, wish me luck. I'm going to ask for one of those two ( clonidine or hydroxyzine).  Do you think Xanax would help to sleep better at night or will these others do the trick?

#59 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 October 2016 - 11:25 AM

Any of the three will help with sleep but the most effective would be xanax or hydroxyzine. I would recommend the hydroxyzine as it is particularly effective on sleep and is not addictive like Xanax. All three are very effective on anxiety. Obviously it depends on the individual as well as which is most effective.

#60 BobbieBoop

BobbieBoop

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 03 October 2016 - 11:47 AM

FH

Can it be taken during the day.  I seem to being having episodes where my body just tightens up and I have to really try to relax t get it t stop. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users