• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 VanEttan

VanEttan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:07 PM

Hi Everyone. I've been reading over posts on this site for awhile and today I decided to join. This is a little backstory:

Was on Cymbalta (60mg) for at least five years. To be honest, Cymbalta was the only antidepressant I've ever used that worked for me and I've had depression for 15+ years now and anxiety problems for longer. It's been about five weeks since I stopped cold turkey. I did so because I was sick of my doctor trying to get me to see different doctors instead of just refilling my prescription and I felt like it was dictating things and it was starting to piss me off. I also felt better than I ever have--mentally. So I stopped. And for the first 3 weeks or so, things were fantastic. I got rid of some side effects I didn't even really realize were side effects (and not just part of me) and my moods were great, energy was good, I was in a good place.

However. Now at five weeks in, things are getting kind of terrible again. My anxiety is intense at times. Today prompted me to join and reach out because I had such a terrible anxiety attack that felt like panic and deep depression I couldn't get out of. I have a history of suicidal tendencies and today was about as close as I've been in awhile to making a bad choice.

Apart from the depression that seems to be trying to creep back in and the intensified anxiety, I'm in a lot of physical pain. I had some mild back/neck problems before I started Cymbalta but now I have a lot of pain almost all of the time. I'm not sure if it's directly linked to this or I've worried myself into new pains... It's worst when I try to lay down to sleep. And my shoulders and arms hurt the most and sometimes I'm in so much pain I can't get to sleep for hours. Sleep deprivation is probably my #1 depression trigger and I'm just at this point where I'm not sure what to do. I've found drug-free methods like meditation that help a GREAT deal most of the time but like today, when I'm in panic mode to that extent, I can't think about anything but the panic and sadness. I've lost some annoying side effects that this pill caused but I don't know if it's worth it to have to feel this way mentally.

If anyone could chime in on how long it took to stop this rollercoaster (or maybe it won't stop), it would be so much appreciated. I am also extremely curious about this arm pain I am experiencing because I keep telling my doctors about it (for a couple years now!) and they brush it off. Does anyone else experience pain in the arms--especially the forearms and elbows? Sometimes when they hurt, my veins pop out and my arms have never been so veiny like this. This is another thing my doctor seems unconcerned about but she's not there when I'm laying in bed unable to sleep with intense pain in my arms and shoulders and often neck and back as well.

I'm starting to think about going back on Cymbalta and a big part of me doesn't want that.

This ran longer than I intended but any kind of input would be helpful. Thank you so much, guys.

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:14 AM

Hi VE

The pain is a common withdrawal effect. Cymbalta is approved for several types of pain and once removed the nerves have to readapt to controlling their own seratonin. All of this can last a while. Usually after about 5 to 8 weeks you start seeing some short breaks in the symptoms and from there it very slowly improves. It can take a year or or more to fade but 4 to 8 months is more common. Considering how long you have been off the Cymbalta I wouldn't suggest you go back on it yet. Something to consider is a short brief dose of Cymbalta. There is some indication that a simple 5 mg dose may alleviate symptoms for a couple days and give you a break. Only use it when necessary and after a while you shouldn't need it. Many also have success with 50 mg diphenhydramine (Benadryl). It may make you a little drowsy but it should help with the anxiety. You can develop a tolerance to it so only use it for short periods of time. Other things that can help are 500 mg of Vitamin C/day, 3000 mg of omega 3/day and stay very hydrated.

Don't give up. This takes time and patience but you can do it.

#3 VanEttan

VanEttan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:23 PM

Thank you so much for the input. It's somehow comforting to read that pain can come from the pill withdrawal because sometimes it gets so bad that I throw rational thinking out the window and I begin to worry that something could be really very wrong.

In terms of mental slip ups--sadness, lack of interest, tiredness--do people find that these fade at the same rate? Maybe somewhere around 2 months to balance out? While I'm used to depression on and off, I'm not so used to really sudden and constant mood swings. I would feel so much better if I knew that this really negative stuff I'm experiencing both mentally and physically may be just my body trying to even out. I've gone off antidepressants in the past and I always end up back on them. The difference now is that I'm taking a lot of steps to make cognitive and behavioral adjustments as I do really want to believe that I can be better without medication.

Thank you again, fishinghat. I am glad I found this site because I'm finding it's not always easy sticking to my preferred goal of staying away from more pills.

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:01 AM

All are common withdrawal effects. They do not however come and go at the same rate. Usually the earliest symptoms fade first and are often replaced by new symptoms.  Use your cognitive skills to minimize your symptoms until your body can adjust.

#5 BobbieBoop

BobbieBoop

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:54 PM

FN

Just read these post.  Are you saying that 4 to 8 months to be symptom free?   :)

#6 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:15 PM

BB,

What FH said is totally accurate!  I went through a YEAR of this miserable withdrawal!

This differs for everyone as we are all different.  I'm sorry, but there is really no real answer to this...

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:15 PM

"It can take a year or or more to fade but 4 to 8 months is more common."

That is not uncommon Bobbie but don't forget the part of "It can take a year or more to fade..."

You are just one of the lucky ones that is taking a long time but you will succeed. Yours is just a little slower to fade. I actually know two people who had NO withdrawal from Cymbalta at all. One was on the drug for 9 years. Some are lucky and some aren't. Age, weight and dosage seem to have a lot to do with it but not always. My sister-in-law came off of it cold turkey, no symptoms,  and she was 67 at the time, 120mg/day and 200 lbs over weight. Go figure.

#8 BobbieBoop

BobbieBoop

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:24 PM

FH

Thanks for the  encouraging words.  They are always comforting, helpful and much needed at times.  I do feel very lucky.  I will not lets this drug control me anymore though.  I;m trying to look for the positive each day in all of this. Thanks so much to all of you.  I have a lot of aches and pains but they are getting better each day.  I have some Celabrex .  Do you know anything about that drug and if it help with the pain associated with the withdrawal?

#9 dorag

dorag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:12 PM

VE -

Welcome to the community. I am not an active user in here, but I often read it to help push myself along and I feel the need to respond to you. I took Cymbalta 60 for chronic pain, and stopped after some nasty side effects. The withdrawal was horrendous, I also have a history of depression, and it caused a spike in not only depression and suicidal thoughts, but more pain than I have ever been in.

I am about 10 weeks off Cymbalta now, and all the withdrawal symptoms are essentially gone. Yes, I am back to step one of dealing with my chronic pain, but it is back to base level and that's great.

I can't speak for how your withdrawal might go, but don't give up, you WILL get through this. It's going to be a long, hard few months, but we are always here for you when you need it!

#10 Raven72

Raven72

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationSomewhere In The Stratosphere
  • why_joining:
    Additional support outside my atmosphere.

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:56 PM

Ve,

I would first like to say welcome. FH is pretty much the guru when it comes to research and explanations. I would like tell you how proud I am of you for keeping a clear enough head to not do something drastic. I only say that because I have been close to the edge myself. Keep pushing through and you will be fine.

Raven

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users