308 replies to this topic

#241 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:57 AM

Hmmm - don't know. But I wish they would stop all this silly behaviour. I could understand limiting supply and so forth, but to ban completely is a bit much. It does worry me that they will clamp down on it over here in the UK as it is already not permitted for sale. Bad enough that I have to buy from mainland Europe...

#242 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:58 AM

Once again you are right IUN. It was Seminole county where it failed last year.

My bad.

#243 KathyInFL

KathyInFL

Like a Family Member

• Site Supporter
  • 595 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:03 AM

I hate to admit it to the world but I smoked pot last year for the first time in 30+ years and I hated the feeling I got, I was way too high! I don't want to get that feeling with kratom. Is it similar?

#244 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:17 AM

This is a very good and completely unbiased article;

https://www.payspi.o...ats-difference/

I have never smoked - not even a cigarette, so I cannot say, only from those that I have heard speak of the effects. But if you had a bad experience on pot, the chances of it repeated on Kratom are very very slim.

Kratom only reacts on two alkaloids - 7-hydroxymitragynine and mitragynine, whereas pot reacts on so many more, the most potent of which is THC, which is where most people feel the ill effects.

The difference between consumption/ingestion and smoking is also a big deal for a lot. Sure, it takes longer for the effects of Kratom (consumption) to occur compared to pot, but what is a few minutes? Far less dangerous to the health - in many way, and as long as you do not take upwards of 15grams, 3 times a day, there is no cause for concern with overdose. Even if you did, you would only have severe stomach pains and probably be sick.

Overall, IMHO, Kratom is much better for health, side effects and its medicinal use. 

Just remember the golden rule of starting low. Your first dose should always be a trial. Take 1g in plenty of water or juice, and if you are fine after 45-60 minutes, then you are safe. You will feel very little, but the next day, step it up to 2.5 grams, wait for effects... if still not quite what you expected, up half a gram at a time until you do. Most do not need more than 5 grams - but half a gram can make all the difference - trust me, I found that out myself!

#245 KathyInFL

KathyInFL

Like a Family Member

• Site Supporter
  • 595 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:22 AM

Thanks IUN, I will read up on it!

#246 KathyInFL

KathyInFL

Like a Family Member

• Site Supporter
  • 595 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:31 AM

Hi all!

I haven't posted lately, but I will give an update.

I start a new contract job on Monday, it's supposed to be for 700 hours, 25 hours a week. That is part time and good enough for me for now. The first 4 weeks I'll be in Texas from Sunday evenings-Thursday evening, then we will see where we go from there, remote or onsite. I am slightly anxious about the "new" job, but it's nothing at all like how I was feeling before I went to New Mexico.

My COBRA insurance went up from $502 to $1163 a month effective March 1!  :blink:  Since I'm out of the open enrollment period, it's not easy to find a good cheaper policy (I'm not sure it's cheaper during open enrollment??). I did purchase a higher ($5000 deductible/$5000 out of pocket) plan with a local insurance agency. I think I have to pay 100% of everything until I hit the deductible, this plan is $575 a month. The COBRA plan had a $1500/$5000 ded/oop so I guess if I don't use the new insurance plan too much, I'm ahead. Health insurance stinks in the good old USA. When the new contract is over, I think I will just look for a local full time job with insurance benefits for the few years remaining until I'm eligible for Medicare.

I can't say that I'm doing 100%. I think I have depression back, but it might just be boredom? I have to admit that when I'm out walking for exercise, my mind wonders what would happen if I jumped in front of a car doing 60mph? Or I wonder if jumping off my 6th floor balcony would just hurt me a lot or kill me?? I've never had these thoughts before. I will not do these things, the thoughts just cross my mind.

But on the other hand, walking and eating cleaner has made me lose 35 pounds in the last 2 years. I've been up and down with my weight for 50 years.  :o I hope I can keep it off this time.

I am supposed to have an appt with the p-doc on Friday (she's 200 miles away), but I think I'm going to postpone that until after my 4 weeks in Texas. It has nothing to do with my insurance costs, but due to my sister visiting Miami this weekend for a cancer relay. She is in remission now for a few years from lymphoma.

Hi to all my friends here!

#247 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:19 AM

Good that your anxious is more under control this time - what do you think has made it easier this time?

You lost me on the insurance I'm afraid!

Inactivity is for sure a precursor to depression. This is why my mornings are the worst. I just cannot get motivated. But I couldn't just get up and go straight out to work either. It is a viscous circle. Hopefully your work will help this. Regarding the thoughts - this is classic anxiety. So many people have these thoughts. I think it has a little OCD in there. But you just have to pay them no mind. Let them come, but see them as a cloud passing through the sky! Don't fight them...

Good news about the weight and the eating plan - well done!!

#248 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:42 AM

I think in general that is a good report. Hopefully things will continue to improve in the future. Great news about the weight. That has to feel good.

#249 KathyInFL

KathyInFL

Like a Family Member

• Site Supporter
  • 595 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:06 PM

Thanks guys! 

I started taking NAC and zantac. But I just read Hat mention that zantac could cause liver problems, I don't have these issues that I know of, but I don't want them!

I think the lesser anxiety is due to a bunch of things, we never know, do we? This job is more defined and I can tell from talking to the client that it's more of what I've been doing all my life. Remember, I had a feeling that the last contract was going to be more technical than I am capable of? This new one isn't. But working is a catch-22. I'm bored sitting at home, but I don't want to work! lol

IUN, insurance in the US changed when the ACA (the Affordable Care Act aka as Obamacare) came into law (I'm not going to debate good or bad on this). It's much more expensive for a single policy because the ACA requires certain levels of coverage and there is only a 6 week period (open enrollment is Nov 1-Dec 15)  for people to pick up an ACA plan. So since my last employer's insurance that I've been on since Dec 1 decided to increase by $660 a month (this is rare, I think the old employer is in deep doo-doo financial trouble) I went looking for a new plan. Because it's not open enrollment, I had to purchase a non-ACA compliant plan which doesn't give me about 10 essential benefits that ACA affords. One of them is I have a lifetime limit that the insurance will pay out, that's $1M. It doesn't give me any drug coverage, hopefully I don't need any expensive drugs until I can find a new better plan effective Jan 1, 2020. Even thought I don't work for the ex-employer anymore, there is a 1986 law called COBRA that requires employers with a minimum number of employees to offer their health insurance to employees who left for any reason other than gross misconduct. The employee on COBRA pays the employer + employee share + a 2% admin fee. I was paying $502, it went up to $1163 a month. The insurance agent I purchased my new plan from said that because the company was small and maybe if they had 1 or 2 employees last year with large claims, that might be why the insurance cost went up so drastically. 

IUN, aren't you glad you asked?  :D

#250 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:42 PM

My drs have told me that I can use it 30 days on and 30 days off with no risk. I have done this periodically with flair ups in anxiety since 2013 and have had no changes in my liver function tests. It is just another one of those small crutches you can use from time to time.

#251 KathyInFL

KathyInFL

Like a Family Member

• Site Supporter
  • 595 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 06 March 2019 - 02:37 PM

As usual, my likes are gone for the day but if they weren't, you all would get one!  :hug:

#252 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 06 March 2019 - 03:23 PM

Hello Kathy,

Thanks for the update. For anxiety, have you tried the Suntheanine? Good reports on it.
I should have mine this weekend.

#253 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 06 March 2019 - 04:14 PM

Your insurance over there is way too complex. We have similar things over here for the larger companies that offer health insurance, but it is just to cover themselves if the staff have issues long-term. But this doesn't cover doctors appointment and minor injury hospital visits. People usually buy health insurance to cover themselves against the unthinkable. For example, if one needed a kidney operation and were in pain... on the NHS you would be given 3 months worth of pain killers and then go to hospital. With insurance, you would be in within a day or two - and in a much nicer hospital with your own room and wotnot. I can see why people do it, but I don't like paying silly money every week for something that may never happen.. God willing. But should it come to it, I would pay myself, which over the course of 10 years lets say, would be around the same cost as the insurance...

#254 KathyInFL

KathyInFL

Like a Family Member

• Site Supporter
  • 595 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:43 AM

Hello Kathy,

Thanks for the update. For anxiety, have you tried the Suntheanine? Good reports on it.
I should have mine this weekend.

I bought the L-theranine. Is that the same?

#255 KathyInFL

KathyInFL

Like a Family Member

• Site Supporter
  • 595 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:47 AM

.... I don't like paying silly money every week for something that may never happen......

That's the whole concept of insurance, pay for it, hope you never have to use it. I have car insurance, I've used it twice in my life, once 40 years ago for a small fender bender, once about 5 years ago for a new front windshield (window). I've never used my homeowner's insurance and I've owned for 35 years on and off, mostly on.

If everyone needed to use their insurance, the insurance companies would go out of business since they would be paying out more than they get in.

#256 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:54 AM

Kathy,

Suntheanine is said to be purer. That's the reason I bought it, under the surveillance of Scrat of course.

Does it help with the anxiety?

#257 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:15 AM

Gail is right. Suntheanine is a purified version of L-theanine. Some of the L-theanine products have been found to contain a lot of impurities. As long as you have it you might as well try it and see if it helps.

#258 KathyInFL

KathyInFL

Like a Family Member

• Site Supporter
  • 595 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:49 AM

Gail, my anxiety is less... but who knows the real reason? If flared up this morning while trying to get back to sleep because I'm starting a new job on Monday. But overall, anxiety has been better.

I got the L-theanine from Amazon, I'm not sure if it was a recommended brand or not. I'll use it up and order the Suntheanine at some point.

#259 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:54 AM

I prefer to go for the best of a solution so that I know if it doesn't work with the best available, then at least I know. But as Hat said, you may as well use it - and if it is going to work, there should be at least something there.

What dose are you taking?

#260 KathyInFL

KathyInFL

Like a Family Member

• Site Supporter
  • 595 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:50 PM

What dose are you taking?

I have Nature's Trove, 200 mg. I don't remember if this brand was recommended to me or I looked it up on Amazon. But it's not hurting!

#261 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:32 PM

You can safely go up to 400mg to see if this make a difference...

#262 KathyInFL

KathyInFL

Like a Family Member

• Site Supporter
  • 595 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:00 AM

Lots of anxiety this morning.... but I think I would have been somewhat anxious in the past with starting a new job. I just don't remember anxiety being so crippling back then.

I fly out to Dallas on Sunday, work Mon-Thurs, fly back home Thurs evening.

#263 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:05 AM

As always... will be thinking of you Kathy

#264 KathyInFL

KathyInFL

Like a Family Member

• Site Supporter
  • 595 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:19 AM

Thanks IUN! It's going to be a xanax weekend.  <_< (just 1 a day)....

#265 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 08 March 2019 - 03:17 PM

Just 1... good girl

*IUN pats Kathys head like a dog*

#266 KathyInFL

KathyInFL

Like a Family Member

• Site Supporter
  • 595 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:22 PM

I'm doing okay, this client is better than the NM one. I'm not walking or exercising, I'll start that next week. I want to hit the lottery so I can retire, but then I'll be totally bored...

#267 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:30 PM

LOL

You can still work if you win! It'll just take the edge off the worry for earning! Don't go steaming into the exercise... ease yourself in.

#268 KathyInFL

KathyInFL

Like a Family Member

• Site Supporter
  • 595 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:39 PM

Well I've been walking 2 to 3 miles about 5 times a week at home. I have to get into it in the hotel. I'm not with a group of people with this client, so there isn't a lot of pressure to go out to dinner every night... I try to go to the grocery store for salads and healthy food when I'm traveling alone.

I'm watching My 600# Life. That sometimes keeps me away from the candy and ice cream!

#269 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:23 PM

That is very impressive Kathy - well done! And there is nothing worse than the whole "team spirit" stuff in a company. Glad you will have plenty of opportunity to find solitary pleasures while you are there.

Speaking of which, I have just chowed down on pie and potatoes soaked in gravy, but after the day I have endured, I do not care!! Lifes little pleasures...

#270 KathyInFL

KathyInFL

Like a Family Member

• Site Supporter
  • 595 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:35 PM

That's allowed... After all, tomorrow is Pi day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users