88 replies to this topic

#31 KathyInFL

KathyInFL

Like a Family Member

• Site Supporter
  • 595 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:04 PM

Okay, I just had to post again because the above post gave me 13 posts! Can't have that now, can I?  :lol:

#32 tfaff

tfaff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationKansas
  • why_joining:
    I've taken 60 mg. Of Cymbalta for over 9 yrs. After feeling extreme fatigue for a long time, along with several other side effects, I am very motivated to slowly wean off of it and say goodbye to an aweful drug.

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:35 AM

Citrusbliss my prayers are on you as things progress with the insurance company. It's hard to keep up the fight when you're not feeling well and having such a hard time on so many fronts, even losing your mom! That would be so hard!

I decided to hold over the weekend and then taper again. Have the next few days set up ( tentatively anyway). I feel pretty good so far, runny nose, ( which I never have otherwise, but it's no biggie) but my memory and concentration is messed up for sure. I'm having a hard time making sure I'm taking the right amount of beads out, like, once you have one pill set up, you have to make sure you take it on the correct day! And chasing those jumpy little beads around! Lol any suggestions with that?

Kathy, you asked what brand we were taking, mine is the Duloxetine by Devo, made in Israel. The 30 mg. have 150 beads, some difference in sizes. I think you said you want to be on the name brand though.

Again, it's so nice to have you all to get support from, thank you. Citrusbliss, rant anytime you need to, we get it.

#33 citrusbliss

citrusbliss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need support in tapering off 30mg Duloxetine. I was on 60 mg for 4 years for chronic back pain and depression/anxiety. After 2 spinal fusion surgeries and a great psychologist I'm ready to go med free and see how it goes.

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:16 AM

Hi Kathy

Thank you for your support!  Yesterday was a good day, must be the sunshine and melting snow! I was out walking for a bit too which is definitely a mood lifter. I'm doing well so far with taking out 12 beads and I'll stay put for a couple of days. I also budgeted for a haircut and pedicure next month  :P Pedicures are such an indulgence for me but also practical since I can't stay bent over to reach my toes for too long LOL

Riding the wave of anxiety and depressed mood is exhausting isn't it? Normally I'm a very pragmatic person and I have learned to stand my ground with authority figures...after I wig out for a bit. My cousin has a quote that I love "Don't throw me to the wolves because they come when I call". Powerful.

How are you doing my friend?

#34 citrusbliss

citrusbliss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • why_joining:
    I need support in tapering off 30mg Duloxetine. I was on 60 mg for 4 years for chronic back pain and depression/anxiety. After 2 spinal fusion surgeries and a great psychologist I'm ready to go med free and see how it goes.

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:44 AM

Citrusbliss my prayers are on you as things progress with the insurance company. It's hard to keep up the fight when you're not feeling well and having such a hard time on so many fronts, even losing your mom! That would be so hard!

I decided to hold over the weekend and then taper again. Have the next few days set up ( tentatively anyway). I feel pretty good so far, runny nose, ( which I never have otherwise, but it's no biggie) but my memory and concentration is messed up for sure. I'm having a hard time making sure I'm taking the right amount of beads out, like, once you have one pill set up, you have to make sure you take it on the correct day! And chasing those jumpy little beads around! Lol any suggestions with that?

Kathy, you asked what brand we were taking, mine is the Duloxetine by Devo, made in Israel. The 30 mg. have 150 beads, some difference in sizes. I think you said you want to be on the name brand though.

Again, it's so nice to have you all to get support from, thank you. Citrusbliss, rant anytime you need to, we get it.

Hi tfaff,

Thank you for your kind words. Living through these ups and downs is definitely a challenge but just getting to this point proves we're made of durable stuff. Trying to deal with insurance file managers who will use anything you say against you is just exhausting. I'm always on my guard and trying to be honest at the same time. Anyway, it's all part of the deal and I understand that they have to be vigilant on checking up on clients...I must be feeling better to be able to say that!

I prepare a pill each night. I tried to count out multiple pills but I just couldn't focus enough to be sure of my bead counts.  And, yes they jump around like crazy! I know the average number of beads in each capsule so now I just count out the number of beads I'm tapering down - 12 beads out presently- and it's much easier. I'm going to stay at this level for a couple of days. I open the capsule over a small dark grey dipping dish and gently count out beads with a wooden dental stick (Stim-U-Dent). I store the unused beads in a zip-loc bag as I won't be using them again. So far this works for me!

Please know I'm here to listen and support too  :hug:

#35 KathyInFL

KathyInFL

Like a Family Member

• Site Supporter
  • 595 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:39 PM

I've read somewhere that if you refrigerate the pill, the balls don't jump around as much.

I'm feeling okay today, I haven't been doing much lately. I have a doctor's appointment on Wednesday, I'm gathering printouts to take to my doctor. She is onboard with me tapering, I just want to give her more information about this drug. She said she doesn't prescribe C anymore, so the data about how hard it is to stop taking this and what it does to us IS getting out to doctors. :blink: 

I'll let you know more after my appt! 

#36 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:52 PM

Hi Kathy

Let us know about refrigerating the capsules. That would make a good tip for us to pass along to others.

#37 tfaff

tfaff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationKansas
  • why_joining:
    I've taken 60 mg. Of Cymbalta for over 9 yrs. After feeling extreme fatigue for a long time, along with several other side effects, I am very motivated to slowly wean off of it and say goodbye to an aweful drug.

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:30 AM

Hi Kathy, I like your idea of taking info to your Doc. That way they know where we are working from. I too, had a lazy day, but they are all lazy days anymore. I do so little, before I started weaning, I was just incredibly fatigued all the time, now it's more like flu every day. Hopefully there will be normal days ahead and I can leave the house and do normal activities again.

I'm going to put the Cymbalta in the fridge and see if that slows those little beads down!

#38 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:14 PM

I've read somewhere that if you refrigerate the pill, the balls don't jump around as much.

I'm feeling okay today, I haven't been doing much lately. I have a doctor's appointment on Wednesday, I'm gathering printouts to take to my doctor. She is onboard with me tapering, I just want to give her more information about this drug. She said she doesn't prescribe C anymore, so the data about how hard it is to stop taking this and what it does to us IS getting out to doctors. :blink:

I'll let you know more after my appt! 

I am survivor. almost three years since i took my last cymbalta cap (5/15/14). to read that your doctor "doesn't prescribe C anymore" is huge. really huge. you are right - the word is finally getting out to doctors. even if it is one at a time - word will spread. thanks.

#39 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:34 AM

Hi B!!

How are you doing these days?

#40 citrusbliss

citrusbliss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:34 AM

I'm down 15 beads and have had to stay at that level for 4 days now. Intense headache and fatigue. Feel able to cope now so I'll try 1 more bead out tonight. I'm purposely going slow, once bitten twice shy  :blink:

Lots of teary episodes happening which I welcome because it's better than feeling NOTHING!

I read all of the posts from others who have walked and are walking this journey and it really gives me hope. 

#41 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:11 PM

I am sorry to say this Citrus butI would stay at down 15 beads for 3 or 4 more days or otherwise it could come back with a vengeance.

#42 KathyInFL

KathyInFL

Like a Family Member

• Site Supporter
  • 595 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:17 PM

I am survivor. almost three years since i took my last cymbalta cap (5/15/14). to read that your doctor "doesn't prescribe C anymore" is huge. really huge. you are right - the word is finally getting out to doctors. even if it is one at a time - word will spread. thanks.

If she gets a new patient that is already on C, she will write a prescription if the patient wants to continue, but she will not write C for a new patient or change from one AD to C. 

I saw her yesterday, and she is very onboard with me weaning off, she said even if it takes a year. She wrote my script out for C for Teva brand since they are one of the generics that have the tiny beads. She also said Teva is a good generic drug company.

I can't wait until I'm off C, but I know slow but steady!!!

#43 citrusbliss

citrusbliss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:16 PM

I am sorry to say this Citrus butI would stay at down 15 beads for 3 or 4 more days or otherwise it could come back with a vengeance.

Don't be sorry FH! That's pro advice and I think it's invaluable. You're right. It's been hard for the past 4 days. I'm getting ahead of myself once again...I'll stay put at 15 beads out until I feel stronger.

Thank you FH

#44 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:40 PM

I know it is difficult to be patient. But being patient is strength and you are not only strong but wise.

God Bless

#45 tfaff

tfaff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationKansas
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:19 PM

Citrusbliss, it helps to see your progress, Im still learning about what to expect as normal. I am  mostly just fatigued and LAZY. I do feel like my emotions are waking up  too. Might not be so good for some of my relationships though, I think I overstepped my  boundaries with my brother the other night.  My group of supporters gets smaller all the time. Ugh!

#46 citrusbliss

citrusbliss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:24 PM

Citrusbliss, it helps to see your progress, Im still learning about what to expect as normal. I am  mostly just fatigued and LAZY. I do feel like my emotions are waking up  too. Might not be so good for some of my relationships though, I think I overstepped my  boundaries with my brother the other night.  My group of supporters gets smaller all the time. Ugh!

tfaff I'm not sure there is a normal anymore! Yep, I feel that fatigue too and have to push myself to get out for a walk. I usually feel so much better when I do. Hey you always have supporters here. My siblings do not understand what is going on with me and I don't share much with them anymore. 

I'm staying a 15 beads out for another 3 days as fishinghat suggested, not running any races here LOL

Hang in there tfaff and take it slow and steady  :hug:

#47 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:47 PM

We welcome your siblings to join us here so they can understand that there is nothing wrong with you. It is strictly a chemical reaction in your brain. Many husbands and wives have joined us here to help understand so they can better support their family member. It can make a big difference.

#48 citrusbliss

citrusbliss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:20 PM

We welcome your siblings to join us here so they can understand that there is nothing wrong with you. It is strictly a chemical reaction in your brain. Many husbands and wives have joined us here to help understand so they can better support their family member. It can make a big difference.

I wish. My siblings are in their mid to late 60's and still believe that depression is a sign of weakness...expression of emotions was not tolerated growing up. I'm considered to be 'out there' by my family. So be it, I will continue to practice self-care and seek out support from other sources. I'm used to it now!

#49 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:02 AM

That is too bad but I understand. Perceptions are changing but I am afraid to much the other direction. I have seen too many high school, college and young mothers around here come in to the psych offices I use and want a prescription for an antidepressant because their friends say it makes them feel better. It is a common issue here. Too sad. They don't know what they are getting into. Definitely not for recreational use.

#50 tfaff

tfaff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationKansas
  • why_joining:

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:11 PM

Trazadone For Sleep: My Psychiatrist prescribed Trazadone to help me sleep. I've taken it three times. The first two times I thought it made my nose stuff up so I couldn't use my CPAP. Last night I tried it again because I haven't been able to sleep until 5 or 6 am. This time it made me very dizzy. Like I've had a couple of strong drinks. I took it at 11:30 last night and I noticed the dizziness within half an hour and I am still really dizzy 18 hours later.
Any thoughts about trazadone? Or any other sleep aids that help? I've had major insomnia and anxiety getting to sleep for several years, probably mostly from the Cymbalta.

#51 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:10 PM

Trazadone has a good history helping with withdrawal insomnia but those symptoms you mentioned really sound like traz side effects. If it has not helped you sleep by now it may not work for you. You might want to talk to your dr about hydroxyzine. It is antianxiety, an effective sleep aide and there is no withdrawal. It has worked great for me.

#52 tfaff

tfaff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationKansas
  • why_joining:

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:23 PM

I think I need to check in with the psych anyways so I'll get in to see her. Thank you!

#53 tfaff

tfaff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationKansas
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:47 AM

Well I had one good night of sleep taking trazadone, so I've just been taking it all week. Didn't call my Psych. But, tonight it didn't do anything. I'm still up at 2:30 am. I looked up interactions with my psych meds on drugs.com and there were several major flags raised and some moderate. Currently I'm taking
Cymbalta, down to 24 mg.
Wellbutrin XL
Buspar 3x day, 15 mg each
Trazadone 50 mg. for sleep

Can hydroxyzine be taken every night? I've had nsomnia for several years from Cymbalta, don't like to take anything but it's even worse now as I taper. The other " night" I finally fell asleep at 8:30 am after I finally took a trazadone. Wish I could get off of more of these anti d's it's kind of scary with all those major warnings.

#54 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:35 AM

Yes hydroxyzine can be taken each evening. Since I have sworn off ever using a benzo again I have switched to hydroxyzine and use it to control my anxiety and help me sleep. Because it is not addictive I can increase my dose or drop my dose as necessary to control how I feel and sleep. The no withdrawal is just a bonus. Like all medications it works for some and not others.

#55 tfaff

tfaff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationKansas
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:27 PM

Ok. My Dr. Agreed to let me give hydroxyzine a try. 100mg. tabs, but wants me to try cutting them in half. Ohh my life would be drastically changed if I can get sleep at least by midnight. Thank you again for your expertise, Fishinghat.

#56 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:53 AM

No problem. I am a little surprised they are tablets as most that I have seen are capsules. I agree with him about cutting them in half as they usually make you extra sleepy at first and then settles down in a couple weeks and a 100 mg may be necessary. For myself 50 mg does the trick. It also  can do wonders if the anxiety gets to be too much. Let us know how it goes.

#57 tfaff

tfaff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationKansas
  • why_joining:

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:46 PM

Last night I took 50 mg. at eleven and I was still awake and anxious at 2 am. So I took the another 50mg. and did fall asleep by 3 or 3:30. I'll try 50 again tonight and if I'm not sleepy by 12:30 I'll take the other half. I hope to be able to sleep with just the 50, but It might take a while to adjust the sleep schedule.

I'm afraid of sleep meds because our daughter was given Ambien at the age of 11 and stayed on it until she was 22. She ended up with a felony after she turned 21 and started drinking too. All those years up to that were scary enough, and you can't get docs to talk to you, the parent. That scenario is part of what brought on my breakdown. Thankfully she met a serious guy who said "no pills" when they moved in together and they are so happy and they keep each other honest. Getting married this spring.

#58 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 March 2017 - 05:59 PM

Ambien is related to benzos and is a serious medicine that is not suppose to be given to people under 18 years of age. Hydroxyzine is much more forgiving with a lot less side effects.

#59 tfaff

tfaff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationKansas
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:48 PM

Yes, we know that now, after a lot of mucky water under the bridge. That's one thing about taking meds that are newer on the market, you get to be the proverbial guinea pig. Grrr

I took my first hydroxyzine last night. Fell asleep at 11:30, amazing. But while I was sleeping, I was kind of having a nightmare, although I was partially awake. I felt feverish, achy, at one point I felt a bug run all the way up my arm. Even though it felt horrible, I couldn't fully awake or get up. Today I thought I was good, but after breakfast all I could think of was laying down. I'm shaky and weak. Could that be from drinking tea? I feel like I need it to wake up, but, maybe this is why I've seen on here that we shouldn't have caffeine. Any of your thoughts would be appreciated.

#60 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:59 PM

Caffiene did not help but it also sounds like you are a little heavy on the hydroxyzine. can you reduce the dose a little tonight?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users