• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ella23

Ella23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:19 PM

I began taking Cymbalta at age 20 after approximately 6 years of ongoing depression and anxiety. After being diagnosed with depression at age 14, I was prescribed fluoxetine and took this medication regularly for two years. Between that time and started Cymbalta I tried to combat my mental illness through psychological therapy and lifestyle changes. When my depression became significantly debilitating in 2014 I visited my GP and they suggested Cymbalta. I began on 60mg and found the side effects of starting the medication difficult to manage, with complete loss of appetite, the shakes, anxiety, loss of sleep and general nausea. These side effects were apparent for about a week until they stabilised. I then increased the medication to 90mg and experienced the same side-effects. From there I spent over a year on this dose. In conjunction with regular counselling and a continuous healthy life-style being on this medication allowed me the opportunity (and mental clarity) to maintain healthy relationships, stabilise my weight (something I had struggled with for most of my adolescence and early adulthood) and finish my degree. Many people say they experience weight-gain while taking Cymbalta, however in my situation it helped me find motivation (and confidence) to exercise which in turn resulted in weight-loss. While being on a stable dose of 90mg, I experienced lowered sex drive, occasional dizziness, a sense of emotional numbness, and twitching in my sleep. On the rare occasion, I would forget to take my medication (I took it in the morning as soon as I woke up) or I didn’t have it with me, within a few hours I would experience extreme nausea and dizziness. 

In December 2015, I began the slow process of tapering off Cymbalta. I went from 90mg to 60mg then about a year late from 60mg to 30mg (this is the lowest dose that was available to me). During the first few weeks following these decreases I struggled to think clearly and experienced nausea, dizziness, anxiety and frequent ‘brain zaps’. I found that when I was keeping busy it was easier for me to cope with the side effects and not focus on the discomfort. Once the side effects subsided I found I could function normally with the ongoing effects of the medication decreasing mildly each time I reduced Cymbalta. When I was ready to completely stop Cymbalta and had consulted my doctor, I aimed to stop the daily 30mg in the same way I reduced the higher doses on the previous two occasions – I kept busy, cut out alcohol and maintained healthy eating and exercise. I found that the drop from 30mg to 0mg came with much stronger side-effects than the previous decreases and in hindsight, I wish I had done more research before making this jump. My first day without Cymbalta was a Sunday before a 6-day working week at a faced-paced café. Something that was more than manageable during my other phases of tapering down. This is my experience of complete withdrawal from the drug and the advice that I found helpful from various other online sources. I would strongly suggest that anyone considering starting on Cymbalta (or any other SNRI) to consult their doctor about the side effects of starting and withdrawing from this drug beforehand. Although Cymbalta was extremely helpful in treating depression in my case, I was in no way prepared for the mental and physical pain and discomfort I have experienced when coming on and off Cymbalta. This is a very powerful drug and if alternative methods of treating depression or anxiety are possible, it is worth exhausting these options before starting anti-depressants.

Start Date: Sep 2014 – 60mg

Increase: Nov 2014 – 90mg

Decrease: Dec 2015 – 60mg

Decrease: Jan 2017 – 30mg

End Date: February 2017

Regular Daily Supplements: Maca Powder & Kombucha Fermented Tea.

Things That Worked During Withdrawal:

• Fish Oil Capsules
  • Anti-Nausea Tablets (Ginger & Preventative)
  • Healthy Eating
  • Lots of water!
  • Peppermint Tea
  • Lemon Juice (in tea and my drink bottle)
  • Mild Exercise (Walking)
  • Consistency: Maintaining a simple, daily routine.
  • Positive Thinking
  • A Strong Support System
  • Rest

Things That Didn’t Work:

• Alcohol
  • Coffee
  • Dairy
  • Loud/Bright Environments
  • High Pressure Situations
  • Busy Work Schedule

Day 1 of 0mg –

I was surprised by my first day off Cymbalta as I found the side-effects manageable. Despite the nausea, dizziness and mild anxiety I felt ok and could go about my day normally. I felt as though the withdrawal process was going to relatively ok.

Day 2 –

When I woke up to go to work I felt a bit uneasy and dizzy – as the day went on this increased to the point where I had to sit down a couple of hours into my shift to avoid passing out and/or vomiting. I was experiencing extreme vertigo, tremors and felt like every nerve in my body was electrified. I also felt as though my brain was having a delayed reaction to movement my external environment e.g. when I turned my head to the side my mind didn’t perceive it for a few seconds afterwards. The ‘brain zaps’ occurring as frequently as every 10 seconds. My short-term memory and concentration was terrible and I was confused. Hypersensitivity to lights and noise was especially difficult to handle.

Day 3 –

By my third day my head was pounding like it had a heart beat and the previously listed symptoms hadn’t subsided. In my lunch break I went to the pharmacy and it was suggested that I take Travel Calm Anti-Nausea tablets which are natural and don’t cause drowsiness – I took them every two hours and they seemed to help with the nausea. I also began taking 2x Triple Strength Fish Oil capsules as I read this can help with the brain zaps. Apart from the unbearable physical symptoms I was experiencing, I felt extremely anxious, irritable and irrational – the littlest things upset me. I felt a sense of depersonalisation, like I wasn’t living in my own body, and hopelessness.

Day 4 –

I had reached the half-way point of my work week and the symptoms weren’t letting up, I was fatigued from not sleeping very well and was pretty much ready to start taking Cymbalta again because I honestly didn’t feel like I was going to get any better. The smallest tasks felt like too much and I could barely bring myself to make myself food. I visited the pharmacy again and this time was given anti-nausea prevention tablets which I took every 8 hours for the following couple of days. This caused drowsiness but were more effective.

Day 5 –

The physical symptoms by this day seemed to be easing – although the brain zaps which were like electrical currents firing through my brain were still very frequent. I was still feeling the full brunt of the emotional side-effects. I starting to worry that the depressed and anxious mood/thoughts would be constant now I had stopped Cymbalta and were not simply a side-effect of withdrawal. I still felt hopeless – nothing seemed worth feeling like this.

Day 6 –

Today was the first day I saw a glimmer of hope and realised that there probably was light at the end of Cymbalta withdrawal. Everything seemed to become a little bit easier and I could things getting better and the possibility of eventually feeling normal again

Day 7 – Day 14

Once I made it through the first week I reached a plateau. The symptoms were all manageable, yet still apparent. I still felt fatigued and was experiencing brain-zaps, only a handful a day. I still felt anxious and hypersensitive. I was still struggling with confusion and short-term memory issues. Each day I had to remind myself that my body was still experiencing withdrawal and to monitor the way I was feeling. By the end of two full weeks without Cymbalta I could return to regular exercise and function at a normal capacity in my day-to-day life. I am so glad I didn’t give in and start taking Cymbalta half-way through my withdrawal as I would not be wanting to experience this all a second time knowing what I know now.

Note: During the withdrawal process I had an increased appetite – possibly from the extra energy my body was using to overcome the withdrawal. I tried to eat as healthy as possible to detoxify my body.

#2 tfaff

tfaff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationKansas
  • why_joining:
    I've taken 60 mg. Of Cymbalta for over 9 yrs. After feeling extreme fatigue for a long time, along with several other side effects, I am very motivated to slowly wean off of it and say goodbye to an aweful drug.

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:18 AM

Thanks for sharing those details of your experience. I'm really scared to think about what's ahead, and it helps to see how yours played out and how you took care of yourself with healthy foods/supplements and exercise. I don't expect mine to be that short lived but it would be nice! Blessings as you move forward.
Tammy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users