• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 laurieboo

laurieboo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:10 PM

Been on cymbalta for years. i was on 90 last year and somehow got down to 60. A month ago started taking beads out 1 at a time. only about 12 beads in a 60 capsule..I see most people posting about hundreds?. so did a bead at a time for a week or 2. then got to half..so switched to a 30 capsule. Can barely function. Bad bad headaches. Some dizziness. Crying at the drop of a hat. lifeless. Just want to sleep. Should I go back to taking the beads out of the 60 capsule? idk. No one knows what's wrong with me.  Memory also shot too.

#2 tfaff

tfaff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationKansas
  • why_joining:
    I've taken 60 mg. Of Cymbalta for over 9 yrs. After feeling extreme fatigue for a long time, along with several other side effects, I am very motivated to slowly wean off of it and say goodbye to an aweful drug.

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:52 PM

Hi Laurie, I am tapering down from 60 mg., now at 20. I do not have a lot of NFL for you but your symptoms sound like Cymbalta Withdrawal for sure. My memory has been really bad since I started tapering too, sleeping, lifeless, all of that. Someone should be adding on here to give you some direction, but hang in there, this is a good place to be right now!

#3 tfaff

tfaff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationKansas
  • why_joining:
    I've taken 60 mg. Of Cymbalta for over 9 yrs. After feeling extreme fatigue for a long time, along with several other side effects, I am very motivated to slowly wean off of it and say goodbye to an aweful drug.

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:54 PM

Sorry, I meant I can't give you much info.

If you read some threads on this site you will find many others doing the same thing, and lots of helpful information to get through this time.

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:41 AM

With only 12 beads in a capsule each drop is too large a drop. As you decrease your dosage you become more sensitive. You really need to change to a brand that has 2 or 300 little beads (like Tiva or Cymbalta) and taper using it so you can get a smother more controlled wean.

#5 laurieboo

laurieboo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:14 PM

ah..ok. thank you. i just opened a 30 mg up and there are tons of beads.  doc was no help. 

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:33 PM

Ok, I understand. I would not try to go back to the 60 and deal with 12 beads. I would stay with the 30 mg with the jillion little beads. The thing is you are really suffering at that level. So I would consider taking a 30 mg PLUS about 5 or 6 beads extra from one of the other capsules. This should help take the edge off.

#7 laurieboo

laurieboo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:39 PM

Thank you for that advice..i am suffering for sure :(

#8 laurieboo

laurieboo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:46 PM

Ok, I understand. I would not try to go back to the 60 and deal with 12 beads. I would stay with the 30 mg with the jillion little beads. The thing is you are really suffering at that level. So I would consider taking a 30 mg PLUS about 5 or 6 beads extra from one of the other capsules. This should help take the edge off.

I took 30 and 5 of the other beads. Can hardly function. Head throbbing. Out of it. I don't know what to do. I have to work full time..maybe i'll have to go back on 60 forever. 

Do these symptoms ever go away while tapering?

#9 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:01 AM

Strange. That should have given you some relief. I guess if it was me I would just stay on the 30 and wait for things to clear up. Maybe lean on Benadryl or some other script from the dr (hydroxyzine/clonidine) until things got better. Very sorry about that.

#10 laurieboo

laurieboo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:24 PM

Thank you for your help..i'm so grateful. I felt a little better this morning so I just took a 30 (maybe i added too much yesterday, god this stuff is crazy strong). Felt ok all day..just a little residual head throb but not too bad. I think I will stay on the 30 for another week and then start taking 3-4 beads out at a time. Question..is it 3-4 beads one day, then 6-8 the next, etc.. or 3-4 beads everyday for a week..then 6-8 for a week, etc. thank you.

#11 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:32 AM

"Question..is it 3-4 beads one day, then 6-8 the next, etc.. or 3-4 beads everyday for a week..then 6-8 for a week, etc. thank you."

Each person is different but I would suggest starting low and working up as tolerated. Such as (3-4 beads everyday for a week..then 6-8 for a week, etc).

#12 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:56 PM

Ah Fisherman, you got me confused here.

Let's say that Laurie takes out 3 today then shouldn't it be 6 the next day then 9 the next day and so on? Light my light, I always figured that it's the way to go.

#13 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:24 PM

As my daddy use to say...'Don't listen to what I say but listen to what I mean.'  lol

Actually Gail that is right. Typically remove 3 beads one day and then 6 the next day and so on. Stopping whenever symptoms develop. Looking at her history I had a feeling that she might be a little sensitive so I was suggesting a slower approach at first. If things go well then she could wean faster. Especially going back up in dose did not do her any good when she was having some problems. I though it best for her to go slow. Just my opinion.

#14 citrusbliss

citrusbliss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need support in tapering off 30mg Duloxetine. I was on 60 mg for 4 years for chronic back pain and depression/anxiety. After 2 spinal fusion surgeries and a great psychologist I'm ready to go med free and see how it goes.

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:05 AM

I followed that advice laurieboo, Gail and FH. I'm on 30mg duloxetine, about 150 beads or pellets per capsule.  I stabilized at 30mg and then took out 5 beads for a week. Then 8 beads out for a few days, then 11 beads out, 15 beads out for a week. Once I got to 20 beads out over a month or so of tapering I started getting strong, disturbing withdrawal symptoms. Since this is my second attempt at tapering I decided to ask my Doc for help.

Now I'm on 10mg escitalopram (Cipralex or Lexapro) and still tapering. It is the only other AD I've taken and I know it agrees with me.  I'm taking out 50 beads now and the withdrawal symptoms are fading and manageable. I've been on escitalopram for 6 days. I can definitely say it's helping me and since it comes in 5,10 and 20 tablets I can taper off it eventually as well. I think I'm too sensitive to the duloxetine withdrawal to continue tapering without a cross taper drug. I'm so glad I didn't give up, just need a little help! 

Thanks to all of the info and support on this site I can see the light at the end of the tunnel...and it's not the oncoming Crapalta Train! I'll be off this crazy train soon  :)

#15 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:15 AM

Once you get down to the last 5 grams or so the weaning becomes tougher and the wean rate should be slowed greatly. Some even use a few extra beads here and there to take the edge off. Lexapro is a good choice but be aware you will still need to do a very slow taper off of it. What dose did he put you on?

#16 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:01 PM

Hey Citrus,

Good to hear that you are cross tapering with success. Lexapro will help with the withdrawal since you have already been good on it(I think).

Three years back when I joined the forum, we did not speak about this(cross tapering).
The thinking then was, tough it up for seven months, if not better then do something about it.
Which I did then. Sorry to say that nothing helped for more than three weeks. Still shopping!!!!

You made my day!

#17 tmccrady

tmccrady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:51 PM

Need a little help and prayers

I have been off cymbalta for about 2 1/2 months went cold turkey was on antidepressants for about 20 years zoloft it stopped working and we tried lexapro and it stopped working so dr put me on cymbaltta the side effects were not good as you all know. I am diabetic and it  made sugar sky rocket and pain in upper right stomach so I stopped and the pain went away and sugar came down.

So now i take nothing but xanax for my anxiety and today it was a horrible horrible day!!  I have been having thoughts of suicide. But today It was so bad it scared me alot. Is it ok to take my xanax 3 tiems a day on bad days or will I go thru withdraw on that also  I dont want to take my xanx because I am affraid of getting addicted. But I need to know if this is normal of the withdraw?  Or do I need something to help ease the thoughts in my head? I take fish oil and vit c. Just dont what to do anymore. Any help please

#18 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:28 PM

Welcome TMC

The FDA and manufacturer both issued warnings about sudden stoppage of Cymbalta due to increase risk of suicide, suicidal thoughts and seizures. PLEASE  reinstate immediately and slowly wean off over a period of 3 or 4 months. Your health is too important.

#19 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:51 PM

Hello there,

Since you have been off for more than two months, Fishinghat must have not registered this, I would not go back on the stuff.

I would say, take the xanax to get the anxiety down. And worry about that withdrawal later. You might consider going on something like Prozac to smooth the edges of Cymbalta withdrawal.

In withdrawal, I tripled the benzos. Then took 27 months to wean. Slowwwly. Most up there benzos in these times and do we ever hate doing this. It's normal to do so in withdrawal. We are so much in a dark place that we need relief. And if it's benzos, then so be it!

You can take Benedryl Total for relief. It works.

Look TMC, we have been through what you are going through. No easy answers, in a short while the light will brighter. After 8 weeks or so, the worst is near over. Hang on tight, you are in my prayers!

Post as often as you want.

#20 citrusbliss

citrusbliss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • why_joining:
    I need support in tapering off 30mg Duloxetine. I was on 60 mg for 4 years for chronic back pain and depression/anxiety. After 2 spinal fusion surgeries and a great psychologist I'm ready to go med free and see how it goes.

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:43 PM

Once you get down to the last 5 grams or so the weaning becomes tougher and the wean rate should be slowed greatly. Some even use a few extra beads here and there to take the edge off. Lexapro is a good choice but be aware you will still need to do a very slow taper off of it. What dose did he put you on?

10 mg tablet. I see her again in a couple of weeks to see if I need to up the dose.

#21 citrusbliss

citrusbliss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:51 PM

Hey Citrus,

Good to hear that you are cross tapering with success. Lexapro will help with the withdrawal since you have already been good on it(I think).

Three years back when I joined the forum, we did not speak about this(cross tapering).
The thinking then was, tough it up for seven months, if not better then do something about it.
Which I did then. Sorry to say that nothing helped for more than three weeks. Still shopping!!!!

You made my day!

Hi Gail!

That's just cruel to let you just stew in withdrawal poison...it erodes any sense of trust in what we're prescribed if we're left high and dry when it's time to come off of them. I can't watch pharma ads on tv anymore, too cynical now.

Anyway, sending you good vibes along with some spring sun rays  :D

#22 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:41 PM

Oh TMC, Gail is right. I didn't notice the 1 `/2 months sorry. The benzo or Prozac is a good choice like Gail said but the worse part is ending so I hope you can hang in there and get through this and if medicine is what it takes,,,that's OK.

#23 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:46 PM

Citrus

I am surprised at the 10 mg of Lexapro. It is a minimal dose and is roughly equal to 30 mg (minimum therapeutic dose) for Cymbalta. when they put me on  Lexapro to help my withdrawal it was 5 mg every other day. But either way you can, like you said, wean off the Lexapro as well.

#24 tmccrady

tmccrady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:02 PM

Gail and fishinghat,

Thank you so much for all your help!!!!!  My husband said the same thing about the benzos use them  we need to get you off this horrible drug!!!

I took 2 xanax today and was doing better tonight.

Can I take benedryl with the xanax?

I can take 1 mg of xanax 3 times a day. I wake in the night with sweating and then freezing is it cymbalta or xanax withdrawl?

Thanks a million for the prayers I need them right now God has brought me this far. I just need to hear from someone that has done this and that it is the  withdrawl or 

I think I might need some prozac!!! 

Thank you for all you do to help others GOD BLESS YOU ALL! Gail I am trying to hang on tight you guys have helped me so much to see that I need to use the xanax.

#25 laurieboo

laurieboo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:46 PM

I've being doing ok on 30 so far except for the headaches. everyday. 

#26 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:50 AM

TM, yes you can take Benadryl with Xanax if it's too tough.

I would say that the sweating and freezing can be part of withdrawal and so can Peri menopause cause this.

I had kind of forgotten how it was in withdrawal, and now I am living through the same nightmare as you all with Lamictal withdrawal. Dear God, how challenging. I never thought that Lamictal would have such a pretty heavy withdrawal. As worst as the C.

So back on lorazepam for me,( yes Fishinghat) Benadryl almost every day. As I advised earlier, I will worry about the lorazepam later. For now, I really need these. I did that tapering once real slow and I will do it again when time arrives.

We need all the prayers we can get from everyone!

#27 tmccrady

tmccrady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:16 AM

Gail, 

Thank you Thank you Thank you. 

I pray that we all conquer this horrible drug or what ever you want to call it inside us and live every day drug free someday.

Is it possible? Any help with this would be great!  

Gail, you are in my prayers and yes we do need all the prayers we can get!! I hope you have a great day!

#28 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:19 AM

Prayers all the way around all the time.

Gail was spot on as usual with her answers.

If any of you are concerned about the benzos their are two other choices. Hydroxyzine and/or clonidine. Neither are addictive and have no withdrawal. They may save you some hassles later.

#29 tmccrady

tmccrady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:26 AM

do I take the benadryl at the same time or a couple hours later?

#30 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:56 AM

It does not matter. Remember to use the Benadryl only occasionally as your body will get use to it and it will be less effective. If it gets to a point where it does not help then do not use it for at least two days and try again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users