• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Patti100

Patti100

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 01:47 PM

Just found this site and been reading and reading.  Lots of great info.  My doctor stopped my Effexor (after about 20 years) and put me on cymbalta 60 mg. about 2 months ago.  From reading they are both the s ame type of antidepressant.  Should I just stop the Cymbalta since I have already been off the Effexor (150 mg) for 2 months now?

Was on Xanax for awhile.  Can this be taken to lessen some of the symptoms I am having?

Thank you one and all

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:08 PM

Xanax can be taken to reduce the withdrawal. It is not recommended by the manufacturer to stop Cymbalta cold turkey as it can cause suicidal thoughts and seizures among other things. Considering how short of a time you have been on the Cymbalta I would suggest that you drop to 30 and see how it goes. You might get away with that and can then drop slowly from there.

#3 Patti100

Patti100

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:46 PM

Thank you for the reply.  Appreciate it.

#4 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:20 AM

Hi Patti,

Same thinking here, go to 30 and if too tough, bead count your way down from 60.
Advice is not to cold turkey this, effexor and Cymbalta are know for their crazy withdrawal symptoms.

#5 Raven72

Raven72

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationSomewhere In The Stratosphere
  • why_joining:
    Additional support outside my atmosphere.

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:56 AM

Hello,

I agree with the others. While I stopped the Cymbalta cold turkey I would advise against it. Hang in there, we are here for you.

Raven

#6 Patti100

Patti100

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 02:19 PM

Did not take Cymbalta today.  I have been bleeding again (was in hospital beginning of April for GI bleed).  Just found that Cymbalta can increase your risk of internal bleeding if taking a blood thinner (which I am ) 

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 May 2017 - 02:31 PM

Absolutely. I am glad you caught this. Did they give you anything for the hemorrhaging? Are they going to run tests to see where the bleeding is located? Hang in there.

#8 Patti100

Patti100

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 03:44 PM

Had a endoscopy, colonoscopy and small camera I had to swallow.  Since I had stopped bleeding (and had 2 units of blood infused) they could not find anything.  Made an appt with GI doc for Wed and GP on Thurs.  Figured since I went off the Effexor cold turkey but was given Cymbalta instead I have had a lot of side effects.  I know they are the same type of medication but I still feel off.  I just want to be medicine free except for heart meds.  All I want to do is cry

#9 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:01 PM

That's normal Patti. You can get this all dealt with. It is just a matter of time. Typically the blood thinner and the Cymbalta act together to irritate the lining of the stomach which will seep some blood. This would not necessarily show on an endoscopy. Lets hope it is that simple. Any stomach irritation? Do you sort of feel achy and hungry all the time?

#10 Patti100

Patti100

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:51 PM

I am always achy!  Hungry, sometimes.  What does this have to do with bleeding?

anyway, I just feel in a fog.  Getting better as the days go by, but had a bad fall in the middle of the night.  Now black and blue.  Always something with me. :P

#11 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:22 AM

The type of bleeding usually (but not always) caused by Cymbalta with an anticoagulant it due to irritation on the lining of the stomach. This irritation causes an increase in release of acid from the stomach which in turn causes an increase in hunger and a general achy feeling especially as the stomach empties of food.

Hang in there.

#12 Patti100

Patti100

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:59 PM

Saw the doctor today.  She said I did not need to reduce Cymbalta, just stop. Okaaayyyy! Whatever.  Then she said since I was stopping most of my meds I probably did not need to see her anymore!! 

She knows that I am an informed patient and will do what I think best so I guess she will adjust.

Thank you for your help.  Off to read some more and yes, I will get through this

#13 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:58 AM

Good for you Patti!!!  Hang in there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users