Photo

At My Wits End And Its Only Been A Week!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dangerousdimples

dangerousdimples

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:12 AM

I'm so glad i found this forum.  I have NEVER had withdrawal from any medicines and have been on many over the years.  I always cold turkey when i'm done taking a medicine and never experienced anything like this!

I have been on 60 mg for about a year now.  Thank goodness I decided to not increase to 120 mg like the doctor recommended, instead I decided I wanted off of the medicine which frustrates my doctors BUT I hate taking medicine daily!

The first 24 hours was amazing!  I slept sound and had dreams that i actually remembered which was new for me as i seldom reach "rem" sleep.  That lasted just 24 hours and BOOM, the bomb dropped!  At first the doctors thought it was my sugar as its been elevated so we've been watching it closely but now that I have done my research i now know that this is in fact withdrawal.  Thankfully i'm not having all of the side effects but the brain zaps and stomach issues are horrible and affecting my daily life.  I'm going to try the suggestions I've read here first before starting back up on the cymbalta and wean down slowly as i don't want to start this over again...............crossing fingers something works!

Stay tuned!

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:45 AM

Welcome DD. (love the name)

That's fine but remember there are some serious risks associated with cold turkey including suicidal thoughts, seizures, and much more.

#3 dangerousdimples

dangerousdimples

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:19 AM

thank you!

yes i understand the risk but my question is would the seizures start sooner then later?  I'm experiencing everything except the seizures, suicidal thoughts (never had issues with suicidal thoughts so not as concerned about that).  Everything else I'm dead on so far.................my only other side effect is my elevated sugar levels which is why they took me off of it in the first place

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:28 AM

The elevated sugar levels will slowly pass with time. Normally the seizures would occur (if they occur at all) within a month.

Other info on seizures,

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3229538/
"Although the risk of seizures with antidepressants is generally very low, the association with overdose is well established [80]. However, the molecular mechanisms by which antidepressants cause seizures have not been clarified. GIRK2 knockout mice exhibit spontaneous seizures and are more susceptible to seizures induced by pentylenetetrazol than wild-type mice [37]. The risk of seizures in overdoses with sertraline, duloxetine, mianserin, and venlafaxine significantly increases [80]–[82], and amoxapine overdose is more likely to cause seizures [83]. "
80. Montgomery SA. Antidepressants and seizures: emphasis on newer agents and clinical implications. Int J Clin Pract. 2005;59:1435–1440. [PubMed]
81. Whyte IM, Dawson AH, Buckley NA. Relative toxicity of venlafaxine and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors in overdose compared to tricyclic antidepressants. Q J Med. 2003;96:369–374. [PubMed]
82. Isbister GK, Bowe SJ, Dawson A, Whyte IM. Relative toxicity of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) in overdose. J Toxicol Clin Toxicol. 2004;42:277–285. [PubMed]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4683813/
"Epilepsy is a serious condition which can profoundly affect an individual’s life. While there is some evidence to suggest an association between antidepressant use and epilepsy and seizures it is conflicting and not conclusive. "
"Conclusions
Risk of epilepsy/seizures is significantly increased for all classes of antidepressant. There is a need for individual risk-benefit assessments in patients being considered for antidepressant treatment, especially those with ongoing mild depression or with additional risk factors. Residual confounding and indication bias may influence our results, so confirmation may be required from additional studies."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/16534127
Neurology. 2006 Mar 14;66(5):773-4.
Duloxetine-induced syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion and seizures.
Maramattom BV1.
"The syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH) and hyponatremia is a well known side effect of older selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) such as paroxetine, sertraline, fluoxetine, citalopram, escitalopram, and fluvoxamine.1,2 The frequency of hyponatremia is around 8 per 1,000 among elderly women receiving fluoxetine.2 Although the second-generation dual blockers, selective serotonin–norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) such as venlafaxine and duloxetine, are touted to have a wider therapeutic index, hyponatremia is encountered even with venlafaxine. To date, Medline searches do not reveal any reports of hyponatremia associated with duloxetine. We describe a woman who developed severe hyponatremia on exposure to duloxetine and recurrence on inadvertent rechallenge, suggesting the causative relationship of this drug to hyponatremia. "
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.psychforu...topic69139.html
This is a thread about seizures and Cymbalta you might want to check out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://pi.lilly.com/...ta-Medguide.pdf
Under side effects the manufacturer (Eli Lilley) lists seizures as a possibility.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.ehealthme...mbalta/seizure/
84,701 people reported to have side effects when taking Cymbalta.
Among them, 598 people (0.71%) have Seizure

#5 dangerousdimples

dangerousdimples

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:54 AM

great info!  thank you!

#6 dangerousdimples

dangerousdimples

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:18 PM

today marks the 2 week mark of "cold turkey".  

The brain zaps continue but not as bad and seems the episodes don't last as long.  My mood swings are minimal but the nausea and constant crying is horrible.  I can't get comfortable, either 2 cold or roasting.  I have noticed for whatever reason that when i start to have brain zaps i feel the urge to eat...............might be my feeling of low sugar that makes me think to eat and it does seem to help me feel better.  I do sleep after major episodes of brain zap and cried everytime i opened my mouth to speak yesterday.  I can only hope i'm going in the right direction!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users