14 replies to this topic

#1 nancydear

nancydear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:32 AM

Hi I am new and need some help. I had been on 60mgs of cymbalta
For 8 weeks,the nausea was increasing every so I asked my doctor to stop it and they said 30mgs (new Rx) for 1 week then every other day for a week I am in the
Second week and the nausea is terrible. I feel better on the day I do not take it. Will this keep getting worse as I go to the 2 days off and so on.
I do have a doctor appointment on Monday but this sucks! I was on the medication for depression after the death of my best friends death in Sept 2016,I am the executor of her estate we were friends for 44 years it has been rough. And I have achy joints too. Was on effector? for 10 years approximately.
Will this get worse? I the headaches and frizzy is terrible too. Any suggestions for this weekend? Until I see my Doctor? I wish I had NEVER STARTED
This Rx. Sorry it is a bit of a mess in writing the head is bit wozzy!

Thank you!

#2 nancydear

nancydear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:39 AM

I forgot the terrible night sweats and the weird dreams!will this take moths to stop???
Thanks

#3 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 24 June 2017 - 05:53 PM

all of that is normal but can get worse before it gets better. your dr. is putting you into cold turkey with that regimen. my advice to Whig here: https://www.cymbalta...rol/#entry72341 is what i would like to share with you as well. bead counting provides for a slow, well controlled taper. taking the C every other day means you are going into cold turkey withdrawal. the elimination half life of cymbalta is on average12 hours (8-17 hrs). that means in half a day the level of the C in your system is 50%. 24 hours from your last dose you're down to 25%. that's fast. then on the day you are supposed to take it again you are pulled out of withdrawal only to be plunged back into it the next day when you're supposed to skip a dose. it makes no sense and is not recommended by the manufacturer. cymbalta/duloxtine is a very powerful drug.

ask your doctor on monday why he thinks its a good idea to be plunged into and out of cold turkey withdrawal. i don't' mean to be disrespectful of your doctor but three people joined this forum this morning within an hour or so of each other with the exact same story. thousands of others who have been members of this forum since it was created have similar stories. thousands more who participate in http://survivingantidepressants.org have similar stories. this is no longer anecdotal evidence.

stick around, others will soon be here to pipe in although on weekends activity slows down quite a bit. i went cold turkey so i don't know the bead counting strategy well and its best to get direction from someone who has done/is doing it. cold turkey took me almost totally off-line for a year, i was somewhat functional through the second year  and am now firing off enough cylinders to be gainfully employed in a good job and other than having to be diligent in stress management am able to enjoy life again. i was on cymbalta for ten years, zoloft then wellbutrin then effexor for the 8 prior to that.

#4 blanam

blanam

Advanced Member

• Site Supporter
  • 35 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:09 AM

Hello.  I'm new to this site, having stumbled upon it while researching Cymbalta discontinuation.  So glad to have found you all.

I was on Cymbalta for 15 years for anxiety.  It actually was a miracle drug for me at the time.  I recall that it was difficult to ramp up on, but by the time I reached 60mg after 6 weeks, I was amazed that I didn't feel anxious anymore.  Needless to say, over 15 years, things change.  I decided two years ago that it was time to come off it.  Knowing how awful it was for me whenever I accidentally missed a dose, I knew to taper slowly, but I think I went to quickly.  My psychiatrist is unfamiliar with "discontinuation syndrome", so she was of no help.  I decided to taper at 5mg/month.  I definitely had some symptoms with each taper, but they lasted no longer than 2 weeks, and they weren't debilitating.

I was down to 10 mg in May and I cut that in half to 5mg.  Well, I think that was a mistake.  The symptoms were horrendous.  They always start 3 days after the taper.  Extreme depression and uncontrollable sobbing, suicidal thoughts, incapable of functioning, nausea and vomiting, dizziness, lightheadedness, foggy headedness, ringing in my ears, pressure in my head, headaches, muscle cramps in my legs, overall body pain, temperature disregulation, night sweats, confusion, brain freeze.  I'm sure there are more, but I can't think what they are.  These symptoms improved after two weeks at which point I decided to go to 2.5mg which is about 15 beads.  I am now going to taper one bead at a time every two weeks.  

Although the despair is gone, I still have a host of symptoms.  I'm very irritable and impatient, my head is still woozy, I still have some muscle aches and headaches, and I have brain fog and confusion.  But what I hate the most is that I don't know who I am anymore.  I hear myself interacting socially and I don't recognize myself.  I seem to have lost my filter.  As a result, I don't feel grounded in myself.  And sometimes I just don't know how to interact.  Although I'm shy, I do have good social skills and know how to have a conversation.  Not anymore!

I'm down to 14 beads now.  My greatest concern is that I won't be "normal" again.  Once I'm done with the Cymbalta taper, can anyone speak to how long it takes to return to a state of equilibrium?  Will I eventually be symptom free?

BTW, a great book is A Mind of Your Own, by Kelly Brogan, MD.  I reread her chapter on supplements and tapering last night.  This is what I'm taking to help with the symptoms:  5-HTP, L-theanine, L-tyrosine, magnesium.  And be sure to eat clean and healthy.  No refined or processed food.  Stay very well hydrated and exercise.

Would love to hear any thoughts.

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:29 AM

It sounds like you have made a good adjustment in your weaning. It is hard to understand just how potent the withdrawal is during the last few beads. Don't be afraid to take longer breaks if you need to. It can pay off in the long run. 

Keep up the good work.

#6 blanam

blanam

Advanced Member

• Site Supporter
  • 35 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:22 PM

Thank you for your feedback fishinghat.  Can you offer any feedback as to how long symptoms last after Cymbalta is completely discontinued?  

Thanks.

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:06 AM

Usually you start seeing some improvement after 6 to 8 weeks, around 6 months things are pretty tolerable to almost normal. This does vary a lot from person to person though. Some people find it is over in 2 or 3 weeks and others just slowly improve over a year or more time period. Hang in there. The important thing is that it does go away.

#8 nancydear

nancydear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:48 PM

Thank you to everyone! I did see my doctor and yes he did take off it total at my request, I will just suck it and have a terrible week! I could not and would not stand for the back off as first suggested. I can not take the long drawn out deal, maybe I will regret it but I can always go back I guess to the slow down.
I will really especially want to thank everyone for the help and suggestions. My doctor said zofran and bonnie for the dizziness and to call if need too.
Thank you!!!

#9 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:51 AM

Good luck ND and I hope you are one of the lucky ones that don't have much of an issue. If we can ever help in any way just let us know.

#10 Tbt

Tbt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:21 PM

Hi I'm new to the group , I don't know how to start so I'll just say it ! I have been forced to cold turkey my withdraw from 60mg of generic Cymbalta. I ran out in between changing health insurance on 8/22/17 , I did not have the money to refill without insurance approval . On 9/22 /17 my refill was approved , I filled it but have yet to take any. Needless to say i am in rough physical pain . I was taking the C for fibromyalga and depression. Symptoms are currently neck & back pain, tingling & numbness in my fingers and toes,  & severe irritability .  I am working with a great chiropracter and feel some relief but I am not confident in going back to my general Dr. because of the time lapse it took him to work with my health ins. and that he offered no options. I guess my question is has anyone had to withdraw like me? Am I better off  starting up again and doing a proper taper off?  Does anyone have advice.

thanks

#11 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:42 AM

Welcome tbt

Yes many have had to quit cold turkey especially due to insurance. It can be a rough ride and can last a while but let us hope yours is easier. Considering you have been off for 2 months I would not consider going back on and tapering. The first 2 months are the worst. Things usually start to fade after that. Of course this is in general. Your case may be easier or harder but you need to focus on getting better. First of all Benadryl gives some relief from the emotional issues but it can not be used long term  as your body builds up tolerance to it. Also your general dr could prescribe either hydroxyzine and/or clonidine to help with the withdrawal. Neither are habit forming nor have any withdrawal. Try to keep yourself out of stressful situations as best you can. Taking 2000 mg of omega 3, 500 mg of vitamin C and staying well hydrated are usually recommended by most of us. They don't cure the symptoms but do seem to help.

#12 Paulamelia

Paulamelia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:51 AM

Hello,I'm new here as well and in the same boat named "InsuranceWoes" in regard to forced withdrawal. Only a week in and having the tambourine whacking away in my head, first time throwing up in years, along with seesaw emotions. My cats think I'm nuts,bouncing off walls from imbalance/vertigo, but I am also experiencing a clarity that may be worthwhile if it sticks round when I'm clean. I dislike this med I was prescribed for fibromyalgia and have become a sweaty,weak,poor,chair bound TV addict because of 3 years of it. Am already encouraged by the advice here and looking forward to being awake again

#13 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:44 AM

Welcome Paula

It can be a rough ride so hold on. I might suggest that you read through....

https://www.cymbalta...ur-question-is/

It is sort of a compulation of member suggestions, what worked for them and research. You might get some ideas on how to handle this.

#14 Paulamelia

Paulamelia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:34 PM

Thanks. Oddly enough, doing OK. The tambourine in my head has quieted to "shifting sand in a tin bucket", no more unusual nausea. I am seeing a chiropractor for a neck problem and the adjustments being done seem beneficial for the cymbalta craziness. Maybe its just having the emotional support feeling that someone cares. Worst thing is that my immune system seems compromised~always have some nagging little illness~a cough, a cold sore, sinus headache. No doubt a part of it. And the ever present fatigue. Appetite is decent. One thing I know is that this is not going to get the best of me.

#15 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 11 November 2017 - 05:48 PM

Doing great!!  Good to have the update. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users