#1 fishinghat

fishinghat

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,697 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:03 PM

I have just finished reading about 60,000 old posts on this site. My object is use this topic to post the reviews of all of our members concerning every drug, method, technique they have tried to handle their Cymbalta withdrawal. This will include their mistakes, successes, warnings, etc. My hope is that this can be a one stop shopping for information, especially new people.

If any of you have ANY suggestions. something you want to add, corrections, etc. just let me know and I will add it on to the posts. Lets make this as good as we can for everyone to use.

Sincerely

Fishinghat.

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

God-like

• Active Members
  • 6,697 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:13 PM

Nausea Vertigo Treatments

Recommendations - Use of ginger root or other ginger product. No withdrawal or drug interactions and all natural. Member reviews are very positive. Second choice would be Original Dramamine.

Dimenhydrinate/Meclizine/Garlic and others - 8/7/17
Dimenhydrinate - an antihistamine - Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking other products that cause drowsiness such as opioid pain or cough relievers (such as codeine, hydrocodone), alcohol, drugs for sleep or anxiety (such as alprazolam, lorazepam, zolpidem), muscle relaxants (such as carisoprodol, cyclobenzaprine), or other antihistamines (such as cetirizine, diphenhydramine, hydroxyzine).

Dramamine
71 member mentions.... 62 positive, 7 no help, 2 intermittent help, 13 says causes sleepiness,
Helps with lightheadedness, jolts, dizzy spells, sleep, nausea, brain swooshes, calming, motion sickness, brain zaps, Sloshy head, and anxiety.

Caution - some members state that "dramamine did..." but as listed below there is a difference in ingredients and dosing for different kinds of dramamine.  Dimenhydrinate is available in 98 products approved in the USA other than dramimine so please check label ingedients before using with other products .Nearly all nausea, cold, flu, sleep aides and dizziness medicines contain antihistamines and are incompatable with each other. Check ingredient list closely.

Seven members admit to taking two or more of these products at the same time OR taking double doses. This has lead to comments like...
"...and chucked my guts all day"
"and afterward had stomach cramps for hours"

Sarah noted "Dramamine II (not the original Dramamine) contains the same active ingredient as Bonine. Some places also sell generic Meclizine and I have found it at CVS. Some very closely related drugs are buclizine, and cyclizine.
Some brand names that contain meclizine, buclizine, or orcyclizine are:
Bonine
Bonamine
Dramamine II
Marezine
Marzine
Meclicot
Medivert"

Will NOT contribute to Serotonin Syndrome.

Tips from members -
1) Careful with the Benadryl and the Dramamine together. (causes you to be sick)
Also one member warned of 'DO NOT take both NyQuil and Dramamine.... '
2) Be careful taking dramamine during the day - it knocks me out!
3) Dramamine can also be doubled up at the initial dose. It all depends on your size and what you may or may not be sensitive to.
4) Take a low dose and I don't fall asleep
5) ORIGINAL FORMULA DRAMAMINE. (NOT THE NONDROWSY, just hypes you up and makes the dizziness worse.)
6) One said it can cause nightmares.
7) One said it does not cause nightmares
8) So, I was taking this ginger gravol and it did nothing for my nausea. I started taking half of a regular gravol and its finally working
9) 2 said - the ginger gravol version does not cause sleepiness
10) if taken on a regular basis, it stops working

Contents:
Original Dramamine - Active Ingredient (in each tablet) Dimenhydrinate 50 mg. Inactive ingredients anhydrous lactose, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose.

Dramamine Motion Sickness Relief Less Drowsey Formula - Active Ingredient (in each tablet) Meclizine HCI 25 mg. Inactive Ingredients: Anhydrous Lactose, Corn Starch, Colloidal Silicon Dioxide, D&C Yellow 10 Aluminum Lake, Magnesium Stearate, Microcrystalline Cellulose.

Dramamine Non-Drowsy Naturals with Natural Ginger - Active ingredients - Ginger  Inactive Ingredients: Gelatin, Vegetable Magnesium Stearate, Silica

Dramamine All Day Less Drowsy Tab  - Meclizine 25 mg. Inactive Ingredients: Anhydrous Lactose, Corn Starch, Colloidal Silicon Dioxide, D&C Yellow 10 Aluminum Lake, Magnesium Stearate, Microcrystalline Cellulose.

Safety Warning
Do not give to children under 2 years of age unless directed by a doctor.
Ask a doctor before use if you have:
A breathing problem such as emphysema or chronic bronchitis.
Glaucoma.
Trouble urinating due to an enlarged prostate gland.
Ask a doctor or pharmacist before use if you are taking sedatives or tranquilizers.
When using this product:
Marked drowsiness may occur.
Avoid alcoholic drinks.
Alcohol, sedatives, and tranquilizers may increase drowsiness.
Be careful when driving a motor vehicle or operating machinery.
If pregnant or breast-feeding, ask a doctor before use.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Meclizine
Taken for headaches, nausea, dizziness, brain zaps.

Meclizine (an antihistamine) is available in 104 products approved in the USA other than Bonine so please check label ingredients before using with other products.

Will NOT contribute to Serotonin Syndrome.

Tell your doctor about all medicines you use, and those you start or stop using during your treatment with meclizine, especially the antidepressants bupropion, duloxetine, fluoxetine, paroxetine, or sertraline.

Using meclizine together with DULoxetine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. (Drugs.com)

15 members have used this product, 6 positive, 4 negative, 4 helps intermittantly.
2 said it makes them sleepy/groggy.

Common side effects include blurred vision, dry mouth, constipation, dizziness, drowsiness, headache, vomiting, or tiredness
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: breathing problems (such as asthma, emphysema), high pressure in the eye (glaucoma), heart problems, high blood pressure, seizures, stomach/intestine problems (such as ulcers, blockage), overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism), difficulty urinating (for example, due to enlarged prostate), liver problems, kidney problems.

Bonine - Active ingredients (in each tablet) Meclizine HCI 25 mg. Inactive ingredients:
Croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, FD&C red #40 lake, lactose, magnesium stearate, raspberry flavor, silica, sodium saccharin, stearic acid, vanilla flavor.

Rugby Travel Med - Meclizine HCI 25 mg and they contain the artificial sweetener Aspartame, also contains Phenylalanine 0.28 mg per tablet (can cause anxiety and nervousness in some people). Inactive ingredients aspartame, croscarmellose sodium, dextrose, FD&C Red #40 Lake, magnesium stearate, maltodextrin, microcrystalline cellulose, natural and artificial flavors, silicon dioxide, sodium sulfate, sugar, tricalcium phosphate.

Truck Princess commented that "I have found that taking the Rugby travel sickness med 25mg took away ALL my withdrawal symptoms for the majority. I don't get any brain zaps, dizziness, head swooshing, none of that. Also with the Rugby it's 24hrs so you only take one or two. The Rugby I took because of the nausea was so bad and just discovered it really got rid of most of the withdrawals and I didn't get the crying spells like you and others have."

This may partly be due to the fact it also contains Phenylalanine which other members report as helping their symptoms. See cold and flu medicine section.

Caution - Many of the above products contain Lactose, a concern if you are lactose intolerant. They may also contain artificial colors that may irritate the nervous system and artificial sweeteners that can irritate the stomach in some people.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ginger
Helps with nausea and stomach issues.

24 positive remarks and 4 negative.

Tips from members...
FN - ginger tea (really strong), ginger ale (old home remedy for sure), and ... candied ginger, raw ginger.
Even it sounds disgusting, eating Ginger raw is the most effective way cured my nausea in 5-10 minutes

AH - Ginger root works very well for nausea. I have 550mg ginger root capsules, and this has helped with a lot of the nausea and stomach upset.I'd totally recommend buying the ginger root in capsule form at the health food store. Mine was $8.99 for 100 capsules, and I will take 2-3 whenever my stomach is upset. And of course we can't forget ginger tea. It is soothing, relaxing, and will also help your stomach feel better.
ta2ed - You can try ginger root... Wont make you tired.

Betty - I'd recommend trying ginger ale -- not Canada Dry but the real strong stuff, sometimes labeled Jamaican ginger ale or ginger beer. It's sold in four-packs here, in the health food or imported section of the store. I've had "irritable bowel" problems for years and have found this is real medicine, with no downside I can see! It also works for nausea.

FN - made a "tea concoction" of turmeric and ginger
Carleeta - yippee..The ginger works. ginger ale helps me a lot too at room temperature.
Considering - Ginger is good for nausea. If you don't have any tea, make some with either grated fresh ginger or dry ginger with a little honey added. This may help.

Anna - I thought I would give just smelling ginger a try. I put 2-3 drops of ginger essential oil on a cotton ball and my nausea pretty much disappeared almost instantly.

Tria - About the nausea, some weird things help mine - ice pops, room temperature root beer soda, and oatmeal. Ginger is a good herb for nausea. I cant stand ginger tea but some people swear by it. You can also buy ginger in capsules.

FCB - Dr. Sanjay Gupta's turmeric tea:
Ingredients
⦁ 1 cup almond milk (I'll try coconut milk too)
⦁ 1/2 tsp turmeric
⦁ 1 tsp cinnamon
⦁ 1 tsp honey (or maple syrup)
⦁ 1/4 tsp ginger
Directions: Heat the almond milk, stir in the spices and drizzle the honey on top.

Latte - ginger candy for nausea - I swear by it, particularly the Gin-Gin brand
Amberd - I tried ginger tea, but it only gave me indigestion on top of it all.

Travelcalm Natural -
Travacalm natural contains 100mg of dried root extract that offers faster relief in conjunction with 400mg of root powder that helps sustain the soothing effect. Each tablet contains: Zingiber officinale (ginger) 500mg as root powder 400mg and dried root extract equivalent to 100mg of root powder.

EOTR - I am taking 'Travelcalm' Natural - costs $4.50 for 10 tablets and ......it works!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Misc. Nausea treatments

Vertigoheel (Caution - read carefully)

Composition: Tablets: 1 tablet cont.:
Anamirta cocculus D4 210 mg; is a Southeast Asian and Indian climbing plant. Its fruit, Cocculus indicus, is the source of picrotoxin, a poisonous alkaloid with stimulant properties.)
Conium maculatum D3, (hemlock or poison hemlock) is a highly poisonous biennial herbaceous flowering plant in the carrot family Apiaceae, native to Europe and North Africa. Since no specific antidote is available, prevention is the only way to deal with the production losses caused by the plant.
Ambra grisea D6, Ambergris, Latin: ambra grisea, Old French: ambre gris), ambergrease or grey amber, is a solid, waxy, flammable substance of a dull grey or blackish colour, produced in the digestive system of sperm whales.[1] It is illegal to possess or sell in many countries)
Petroleum rectificatum D8 (purified crude oil or petroleum is distilled, diluted with sulfuric acid, and succussed. The result is a very powerful homeopathic remedy that has a wide range of uses) 30 mg each.

http://www.biopathic...heet.pdf       Data sheet
History of the Heel Corporation
founding father, Dr. Hans-Heinrich Reckeweg. Established in Berlin in 1936,

FDA violations
In 1984 BHI received letters and warnings from the Food and Drug Administration that it was in violation of FDA regulations in regards to marketing of homeopathic remedies.[1] BHI was given multiple FDA citations and fines during the 1980s and early 1990s for violation of the Compliance Policy Guidelines labelling guidelines established by the FDA in 1988. These were corrected and have not recurred,[2][3] though in August 2013 the company again agreed to dial down its health claims tied to its over-the-counter remedies and pay a $1 million class settlement to resolve accusations that it exaggerated the products’ effectiveness to consumers.[4] (Wiki)

http://edzardernst.c...n-subsidiaries/
"Homeopathic manufacturer to close North American subsidiaries"
In the USA and Canada (Heel) has been confronted with accusations through class action lawsuits.  the Heel Group decided to focus on strengthening its excellent position in South America, Central Europe and Eastern Europe and to withdraw from business activities in the USA and Canada for the time being.
Heel’s operations in both the USA and Canada will accordingly be discontinued as of August 31, 2014.

<a href="http://vincentverhey...om/node/4#Heel"data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://vincentverheyen.com/node/4#Heel" s"="">http://vincentverheyen.com/node/4#Heel'sfortune comes from Nazi Germany: The Quandts were rich enough to escape the Nuremberg trials
Heel's fortune comes from Nazi Germany: The Quandts were rich enough to escape the Nuremberg trials
Unfortunately, the Quandt family has had a long history of concealing the truth and lying in favor of financial profits. Not particular important regarding pseudo-science, but ever so sadly: their family and its wealth is linked to Nazi Germany, providing weapons (e.g. via their German Weapons and Munitions public limited company & their Accumulatoren Fabrik AG Berlin-Hagen (AFA) (now VARTA)) & owning ±50,000 forced and/or concentration camp slave workers, as professor of history Joachim Scholtyseck

http://de.wikipedia....him_Scholtyseckhttp://de.wikipedia....im_Scholtyseck| University of Bonn has, during 3 years, researched in his (> 1000 pages) study "The rise of the Quandts"13. They even signed a contract with the SS to create the concentration camp KZ-Außenlager Hannover-Stöcken (Akkumulatorenwerke) at their factory to provide slaves from the Neuengamme concentration camp, to work under conditions which the company (explicitly written) expected to murder ± 80⁄month .131415 Direct Nazi relative Sven Quandt (Stefan Quandt's brother), the only member of the family who didn't decline interviews for the German documentary "The silence of the Quandts", even advised to forget the holocoust history of the Quandts, stating it is bad for Germany to remember the holocoust:
Heel announced to cease all its activities in North America. To me, its activities seem rather continued, covered up by a mere name-change
On 23/5/2014, Heel announced to close down its business activities in the United States and Canada, supposedly due to the accusations through class action lawsuits. It also said it was negotiating with a company called MediNatura® & that the transaction wouldn't include a number of Heel's products. Actually, Heel's products have just changed their names (cf. this picture159); and thus sadly enough, the products (including some of the products which supposedly were not to be transacted) are being still sold: on 30/5/2014, MediNatura® announced to be buying Heel and selling their discontinued products under different names. First of all, I have not been able to found any account of any existence of any company named MediNatura®, as anyhow related to medical products, before 2014. Secondly, Cliff Clive
https://www.linkedin.com/in/cliffclivehttps://www.linkedin.../in/cliffclive| https://twitter.com/cliffclive https://twitter.com/cliffclivehas been the CEO & general manager of Heel in the U.S.A for many years, right up until Heel changed its name to MediNatura® in 5/2014160, which is when Cliff Clive became the founder & CEO of MediNatura®161. Thirdly, the official address of MediNatura®, is the exact same address as Heel's: in an official notice of a meeting on 10/12/2014 of the Arizona State Board of Pharmacy162, it is noted that the address of MediNatura® is 10421 Research Road SE, Albuquerque, NM 87123. Guess what's Heel's official U.S.A address? So, the company MediNatura® is actually just registered at the building where Heel has been since 2003163164, in Albuquerque, where Heel has been since 1978165. Going to Heel's American website, actually just leads you to MediNatura®'s website.166 Further more, MediNatura even sells a whole line of products which are labeled "BHI", which is actually the name of yet another company of Heel. In fact, products in this line were sold identically by Heel in the U.S. (cf. the product on the far right159). Lastly, Heel has filled 2 trademark applications for the name MediNatura®, for which (by the way) the procedures started as early as 14/2/2014, far before the so-called "negotiations" with MediNatura®:

Uriel - Try a homeopathic called VERTIGOHEEL it really helped me out alot i took 3 a day you just let them melt under your tongue....

Medical Research on Vertigoheel.
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/20852360
https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/8414621
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/15750375
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

God-like

• Active Members
  • 6,697 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:28 AM

Increasing your GABA production and efficiency
by proper diet and supplements. -
8/10/17

Summary - Eating foods high in GABA or taking GABA supplements have little success in treating anxiety or depression because while they enter the blood system they do NOT cross the Blood/Brain Barrier. However many flavinoids have been shown to facilitate GABA activity in the brain and help with anxiety and depression.

Recommendations - Gaba supplements provide little if any help. A better approach would be to use flavonoids. Try focusing of eating vegetables from the lists below and/or using flavonoid supplements Flavonoid supplements are varied and there is no standard dosage so  I would recommend a good bioflavonoid (citrus based) and start ut around 10% of the dosage recommended on the package and build up from there as tolerated.

GABA is a neurotransmitter that blocks impulses between nerve cells in the. Low levels of GABA may be linked to anxiety or mood disorders like depression, epilepsy and chronic pain. Researchers suspect that GABA may boost mood or have a calming, relaxing effect on the nervous system.
http://www.livestron...e-highest-gaba/
GABA is not an essential nutrient but has been used therapeutically for anxiety, insomnia, stress and hypertension. Some prescription depressant drugs and sleeping medications act on GABA by facilitating its ability to bind to receptor sites in the brain. This produces a calming effect and can induce sleep. Taking a commercial GABA supplement is ineffective for this purpose because it is unable to penetrate the barrier surrounding the brain. This is why more powerful prescription medications are used to stimulate existing GABA in the body.

Importance -
https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3412149/
Increasing evidence points to an association between major depressive disorders (MDDs) and diverse types of GABAergic deficits. Many references
Low levels of GABA have been associated with insomnia, depression and anxiety; however, to date there are very few human studies demonstrating the anti-anxiety benefits of GABA supplementation.
Flavonoid-Rich Foods and GABA Receptors
Flavonoids are phytonutrients found in plant-based foods, tea and wine and are known to enhance GABA function.
Foods high in GABA - Cheese, kefir, miso, sauerkraut, tempeh, yogurt, soy sauce and Thai Fermented Shrimp (Kung-Som) have NOT been shown to fight anxiety or depression.
Many probiotics react to ferment foods and produce GABA but there is little evidence that these foods cross the blood brain barrier or has an effect on depression or anxiety.

A study published in 2011 in the British Journal of Pharmacology illustrates the impact flavonoids have on specific GABA receptors in the brain.

https://www.ars.usda...77Flavonoid.pdf
Detailed list of flavinoid containing foods.
General list of the Best Sources of Flavonoids
flavonols flavan-3-ols* flavones flavonones anthocyanidins
onions apples parsley oranges blueberries
apples bananas bell peppers grapefruit bananas
romaine lettuce blueberries celery lemons strawberries
tomatoes peaches apples tomatoes cherries
garbanzo beans pears oranges pears
almonds strawberries watermelon cabbage
turnip greens chili peppers cranberries
sweet potatoes cantaloupe plums
quinoa lettuce raspberries
garbanzo beans

Medical Research
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/25109791
citrus flavonoids ....including antidepressant (activity)

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/25656001
...the flavonoid fraction (F1C) with anxiolytic activity which is dose dependent, and has the ability to interact with the serotonergic system.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/23596160
Grape powder supplementation prevents oxidative stress-induced anxiety-like behavior, memory impairment, and high blood pressure in rats.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/24121702
Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD): efficacy of standardized Matricaria recutita (German chamomile) extract in the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/24679021
Purple grape juice as a protector against acute x-irradiation induced alterations on mobility, anxiety, and feeding behaviour in mice. This beneficial effect on short-term anxiety and mobility related activities could probably be included in the list of flavonoid bio-effects.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/23603526
The experiments with different receptor blockers suggest an involvement of GABAergic system in the anxiolytic action of this bioflavonoid. However, this action is not seems to be mediated through serotonergic system.
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/26190180
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/25600371
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/21244373
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/25449359
These results suggest that spinosin exerts anxiolytic-like effects, and its mechanism of action appears to be modulated by GABAA and 5-HT1A (Serotonin) receptors.
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/21924247
Taken together, these data suggest that 3-OH-2'MeO6MF (a flavonoid) is an anxiolytic without sedative and myorelaxant effects acting through positive allosteric modulation of the α2β2/3γ2L and direct activation of α4β2/3δ GABA(A) receptor subtypes.

And many many more research articles show the anxiety fighting characteristics of various flavonoids.
https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4997290/
Higher flavonoid intakes may be associated with lower depression risk, particularly among older women.
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/23460966
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/24717328
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/24947870
And dozens more.

Members and foods they have consumed on the high flavinoid list.
garbanzo beans -1
NLFSS - Chickpeas (garbanzo beans), tofu, walnuts, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds and almonds are just a few more items high on the food list that fight depression.

raspberries - 3

lettuce - 1

quinoa - 3
Anothermind - I already eat a lot of Red Quinoa (marvellous!)
Xiaojie - Red Peruvian quinoa. I thank God every day for his creating it. It is a protein-packed, vitamin and mineral-packed seed that you throw in your rice cooker and cook the same way you would cook rice (but I add a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil to it). Keeps you feeling energetic, and keeps your digestive system doing what it's meant to do, only more efficiently - so helps purge the body of crap - literally, lol. I HIGHLY recommend it eating a bowl of it every day. Sometimes I eat a bowl of it twice a day. I can tell by how good I feel after eating it that my body loves it. And it has weight loss benefits, as well. Eating lots of fresh vegetables, fish, nuts, coconut oil, and quinoa (very high in protein) daily.

sweet potatoes - 3
Lady Nancy - The sweating is a side effect of stopping the Crapalta, It messes with our hormone levels and the sudden drop in estrogen can be a cause. I found that eating sweet potatoes a couple of times a week really helped. They are a nature source of estrogen.

cantaloupe - 1

plums, cranberries, chili peppers, cabbage. peaches. romaine lettuce
None

turnip greens (Grrens in general) - 13
JDH - I put in just 20 minutes on my mini trampoline in the morning and down my fruits and greens and my days go a WAY better than when I didn't.
FCB - And I have also found eating salad greens and gourmet coleslaw mixes help
SSRI - Lots if leafy greens. ...help the zaps, but that's about it
Raphi - With no limits on the greens, I'm not hungry and was beginning to feel better.
Mendozen - Also, eat fruits and vegetables (I drank greens I got from a vitamin store). A well balanced diet truly helps with fogginess and fatigue
Tuke - friends told me about The Healing Diet. they recommend fresh pineapple, fresh greens(even cilantro and parsley), salmon, and lemon juice in tea or water whenever you can. (note - all contain flavinoids except the salmon.)

watermelon - 2
Sandlion - My husband got out the blender and made a mixture of mostly crushed ice with a tiny bit of watermelon blended in.... the ice felt so good, I was able to "drink" it down and the little bit of sugar from the watermelon gave me some energy. Second post - I woke up feeling nauseous again this morning so the first thing my husband did was make the watermelon drink... so far, so good....

strawberries - 4
JK61 - I use 2 Tablespoons of the Tart Cherry juice in my smoothie. I add a vegetable protein powder and strawberries and half of a banana. I just use water, some people use apple juice or other juices. When my depression was really bad and I couldn't eat I would have two of these a day.

almonds - 11
TM - First, foods rich in tyrosine are thought to stimulate the production of dopamine. These foods include bananas, almonds, avocados, low-fat dairy and meats, sesame seeds, and pumpkin seeds.
FN - then I started craving eggs....and prunes and almonds....
LadyNancy - but I am allergic to tree nuts with almonds and walnuts being deadly (I carry an Epi-pen because of it).
NoLonger - Foods highest in the tryptophan ratio are tofu, almonds and sesame seeds, sesame seeds being the highest. Chickpeas (garbanzo beans), tofu, walnuts, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds and almonds are just a few more items high on the food list that fight depression.
KK - hopefully along with some dietary changes like adding lots of bananas and almonds to give you a quick boost in levels. This can apparently be accomplished by increasing the foods that raise dopamine levels, such as almonds, avocados, bananas, dairy products, lima beans, pumpkin seeds, and sesame seeds, and removing those things from my diet that cause dopamine levels to drop... such as alcohol, caffine, sugar, saturated fats, and refined foods.
Jeannie - I've been eating foods that support acetylcholine production such as peanuts, almonds, spinach, wheat germ, and whole eggs. Beef liver is also a good source of choline but who wants to eat that!
IAA - Food sources of dopamine increasing tyrosine include almonds, avocados, bananas, dairy products, lima beans, pumpkin seeds, and sesame seeds.
Michellah - I am also eating almonds and soup. The potato at night helps the body make its own serotonin and I highly encourage anyone going off to try the potato at night.
SarahJ - Also, raw almonds (without salt) are good filling food.

oranges - (Icluding the mention of citrus) - 9
WTKF - I drink a lot of water, take fish oil and eat protein and fruits/veggies without much carbs (apples, oranges, soups). The diet stuff seems to help.
LadyNancy - As far as the fruit goes you are better off with citrus like oranges or tropical like pineapple as long as your stomach can handle it. ...citrus fruit (oranges, lemons, limes) help the brain make GABA (the feel good neurotransmitter).
I am Who I Am - Poppy seeds, dates and citrus fruits are recommended as good remedies for vertigo.
tomatoes - 4
Rebecca - Two to three simple bananas and kiwi's, an egg-sandwich, 2-3 glasses of milk, a few tomatoes and an avocado a day provides many of the essential vitamins, (trace)minerals & amino acids you need on a daily base.
Jane -Eggs with tomatoes seems to be the best bet for me, followed off with a banana or applesauce.

apples - 8
WTKF - I drink a lot of water, take fish oil and eat protein and fruits/veggies without much carbs (apples, oranges, soups). The diet stuff seems to help.
CCOD - For instance, apples cause me to feel nauseated now.
MC - here are a couple of remedies that has helped my nausea in the past . Mint tea, peppermint tea, green apples and life saver 'wint-o-green' flavor.

cherries - 4
GK61 - I put the Tart Cherry in my morning smoothie for help with pain. It's been very beneficial for me.
Ctina - This week I had a strong craving for black cherries, due to my pregnancy. I discovered that they have an ingredient that helps with sleep patterns, Muscluler, and here is the kicker, skeletal pain!! I felt fantastic last night after drinking two glasses of cherrie soda. Which only after I drank it, I decided to look it up and discovered its benefits. It has meletonin to calm and help you sleep along with a natural pain reliever, called Anthocyanins. Many of us are suffering with pain and restlessness.
VV - In addition to the rhodiola, I increased intake of foods containing tryptophan. Tryptophan converts to 5-HTP which converts into serotonin. Thereby increasing my intake of tryptophan, increased my serotonin levels.

VV - Foods that help:
oatmeal
peanut butter
eggs
chicken
dark cherries
dark chocolate
yogurt
turkey
and many others if you search the web you can find them.

lemons - 2

celery - 3
Kitty - I also got three chinese herbal meds from the doc. Boswellia complex, Ligaplex 2, and Evergreen neck and shoulder chronic. Btw, all these meds are natural esp, Boswellia complex (main ingredients; turmeric powder, ginger, and celery seeds/ roots)

blueberries - 6
PPT - I also bought fresh blueberries: This lessened all my symptoms and gave me a little energy (who knows why)

bananas
BRZ -as for the nausea, since that is a direct symptom of anxiety - getting that under control would help, in the meantime, bananas work well for me.
TM - First, foods rich in tyrosine are thought to stimulate the production of dopamine. These foods include bananas, almonds, avocados, low-fat dairy and meats, sesame seeds, and pumpkin seeds.
aMarie - try b vitamins, multivitamins eggs, bananas, fish oils and red bull - this all helped greatly with my withdrawals.
LadyNancy -The bananas are good for when you have been throwing up sick or have bad diarhea or just can't eat much.
Anxiety Beating Treat
Banana chocolate dessert or spread -
2 very ripe bananas
1/8 to 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Mash bananas then beat in cocoa until completely mixed and serve.
Irritableme - This is what I've taken to help feel a bit more human (thanks to this site): Res-Q fish oil capsules, vitamin B-12, multi-vitamin, lots of water, lots of healthy food (flaxseed ground up, Odwalla vitamin B juice, apples, bananas, salmon, fresh veges), lessened my caffeine intake, Claritin-D. I was already taking Vitamin D and magnesium before I stopped Cymbalta.
JWBH - Try to eat a bite of banana if you can. Bananas are a great source of potassium and serotonin which your brain is severely lacking after you quit Cymbalta.
Chimera - bananas are great little powerhouses when you feel weak!
Jenni - Rice cakes, bananas, nuts are working better for me than when I was eating cakes all the time - no surprise there! Also, try a regular anti-nausea medicine from the drugstore.
MixiePixie - Also, eating bananas and eggs, has helped me- which others on this site recommended.
MS -I swear to you that between a little exercise, a standard multi-vitamin that I was taking the whole time anyway, the protein whey, and a few extra bananas in my diet, I am kicking the Cymbalta withdrawals butt!
Lori - Since weaning off the Cymbalta, I have not had as much a craving for bananas, but I seem to have pain in my joints, sore muscles, and my back ITCHES!! I seem to be weaker physically, than what I used to be.

bell peppers - 1

grapefruit - (also see 'citrus' above) - 3
FH - Buspirone (Buspar) is a seratonin 5-HT1A receptor partial agonist and a dopamine antagonist at the D2 receptor, D3 receptor and D4 receptors. It functions as a weak anti-anxiety medication similar to diazepam in strength (a weak benzo). DO NOT take with grapefruit or grapefruit juice.
Member warnings
I think we would have to know more, like how much grapefruit juice has the potential to increase the levels in your system, depending on dose, other medications, etc. (False)
You aren't supposed to drink grapefruit juice while taking Cymbalta, because it changes how your body metabolizes it and increases the risk of Serotonin Syndrome, (False)
Just read that one should not drink grapefruit juice while taking Zoloft...bad interaction (True) See ...https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/10890261for details.
Autimom - Did you know that GRAPEFRUIT products can cause an interaction with the following medications: Buspirone (BuSpar), Antiarrhythmia - Amiodarone (Cordarone), Antidepressant - Sertraline (Zoloft),
Antihistamine - Fexofenadine (Allegra),. Anti-seizure - Carbamazepine (Carbatrol, Tegretol), Calcium channel blocker (BP medication) - Nifedipine (Procardia), nimodipine (Nimotop), nisoldipine (Sular), Statin - Simvastatin (Zocor), lovastatin (Mevacor), atorvastatin (true)
rebecca - Avoid Grapefruit Juice. Grapefruit juice is an inhibitor of the cytochrome P-450 enzymes. These enzymes are known to metabolise (break down) (SSRI) antidepressants in the liver. Drinking grapefruit juice whilst you are taking an (SSRI) antidepressant can create a serious toxic reaction, because the (SSRI) antidepressant will build to toxic levels in the bloodstream! (only certain antidepressants) (true)
Note - Because both CYP1A2 and CYP2D6 are responsible for duloxetine metabolism, potential exists for clinically important drug interactions when duloxetine is concurrently administered with CYP1A2 inhibitors, CYP2D6 inhibitors, and CYP2D6 substrates.1 (See Interactions.)( Drugs.com) while cytochrome P – 450 3A4 substrates, has also been implicated to be inhibited by grapefruit juice. There is NO medical research to show that grapefruit juice interacts with Cymbalta. This is confirmed by the FDA ...
See https://www.fda.gov/...g/ucm093664.htm
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/10851844
Several actual examples on interactions with selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors, HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors, mibefradil, sildenafil, protease inhibitors and with grapefruit juice are discussed.

parsley - 2
Chrism - So its been a lot of parsley, carrots, and especially broccoli. No luck.
onions (red) - 3

tea - A great many and will be addressed by types of tea tried.
chamomile flowers (tea) - 17
FN - chamomile tea helps some folks with the gastro issues (I wasn't one of them) but...helped me (with sleep) chamomile and valerian tea
FH - "There is a new sleep aide out called Somnapure. It is flying off the shelfs and being hailed as a wonder cure for insomnia. BUT.....As you can see the ingredients are listed below;

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 2 Tablets
Servings Per Container: 30
Valerian (Valeriana Officinalis) Root Extract 500 mg*
Lemon Balm Extract Leaf 300 mg*
L Theonine 200 mg*
Hops Extract Strobile 120 mg*
Chamomile Flower Extract 50 mg*
Passion Flower Extract Aerial 50 mg*
Melatonin 3 mg*
* Daily Value not established.

All of these ingredients have strong drug interactions and/or side effects except for melatonin. There has been a rash of people landing in the hospital for reactions to this med, especially if they are on antidepressants. Use with caution."
Xanazul - *Lots of infusions (valerian, chamomile, limeflower...) all the day long, specially before going to bed.
TXC - Chamomile tea helps a little
Bahara - So yogurt, chamomile tea, orange juice helped me a lot.
CE - Chamomile tea seems to help the nausea and calms down any jitters I have. I practically live on it now.
Abbyg - The other thing that really helped was Chamomile tea.
Kate - Organic chamomile tea (especially helpful if you are prone to naseua or greater anxiety during the withdrawals)
GracesG - Also, the Chamomile Tea is helping me get to sleep.
Schmb - Chamomile Tea, or Sleepytime tea with Valerian (this helps me to sleep. I finally acquired a taste for chamomile tea, and that is soothing.
feverfew - 1
Tria - The herb Feverfew was given to me by a doctor but I was allergic to it.
Wiki - Long-term use of feverfew followed by abrupt discontinuation may induce a withdrawal syndrome featuring reb ound headaches and muscle and joint pains. Feverfew can cause allergic reactions, including contact dermatitis. Other side effects have included gastrointestinal upset such as nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and flatulence. When the herb is chewed or taken orally it can cause mouth ulcer and swelling and numbness of the mouth. Feverfew should not be taken by pregnant women. It may interact with blood thinners and increase the risk of bleeding, and may also interact with a variety of medications metabolized by the liver.
linden flowers - 2
mirmca - I did not try the apple vinegar, but I drank Linden Tea to calm my nerves at night so I could fall asleep.
cookie - Linden tea, as any other natural alternative brings very mild relief to anxiety.
passionflower - 6
LadyNancy - If you don't take any OTC sleeping aids you can also try some lemon balm or passionflower tea made quite strong at night. It helps relax the muscles which eases the pressure in the head. So far I have found that Lemon Balm, Passionflower and omega3 are very good. For nervousness, try Passionflower 2ml up to 3 times a day.
Mit90 - I had a couple of bad days when i got to 30 because i did the last drop a lttle fast but my naturopath gave me some passionflower which helped.
Freeme2 - The kava kava, passionflower, and Gaba really help keep me super calm.
cocoa (unsweetened dark cocoa only) -
BRZ - my new anti anxiety drug is Lindt's 90% cocoa chocolate
LadyNancy -
Anxiety Beating Treat
Banana chocolate dessert or spread -
2 very ripe bananas
1/8 to 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Mash bananas then beat in cocoa until completely mixed and serve.

wine - 22 - Alcohol is dangerous when taking Cymbalta but small amounts may help GABA production after coming off Cymbalta.
FH - when they (cramps) get real bad she can take about 6 or 7 tablespoons of wine and in 15 minutes they are gone.
TFL - I am having wine at the moment cuz it helps!
Carletta - but should have stayed on one glass of wine, the other half had me feeling fidgety and crying.
Wagtail - I can feel the effects today & my balance is very bad so I have learned a lesson , NO wine whilst suffering w/d . I find that when I drink wine the side effects are worse
DonnaP - Be careful with the amount of wine tho. I think it's ok to have some wine to take the edge off,
Zappalta - I am 80% better -I do find if I get overtired or have a glass of wine I have some symptoms return-so no wine when i dine out for now.
Zazzed - slight buzzing had a glass of wine it went away.... go figure
LazyDaisey - Last night the anxiety lifted at about 8pm. I had 2 glasses of wine...not usually recommended, but I also watched a few funny panel shows I love so I was actually in great form. It was lovely to feel happy.
CV - There is nothing you can do (I found that a couple of glasses of red wine in the evening made a big and positive impact - which is ironic because one of the main reasons I came off Cymbalta was the weird increase in my cravings for alcohol, which turned me from a mild social imbiber into a hopeless drunk
Shaun - -a glass of wine every couple nights has helped me a lot
HZN - I only drink a small glass of wine occasionally. On March 19 I became so sick with nausea that I thougt 4 ounces might help. WRONG! It made me feel so much WORSE!
Drugfree - Alcohol is a definite no-no. I had a glass of wine a few days ago and had a horrible sleep followed by a full day of feeling hung over. One glass of wine should not make me hung over.
Jen - Someone on this board recommended red wine in the evening ... and absolute Godsend. The red wine took away the symptoms completely and helped me get to sleep.
Flavinoid supplements
...a typical person should consume 20 to 100 grams of flavonoids each day. Other sources say 250 to 750 milligrams per day (0.25 to 0.75 grams per day). It is recommended to start dosage low and build slowly until you are comfortable. As of this date NO medical research has been done to determine the daily requirement for flavonoid intake. There are over 4000 flavonoids that have been identified and each act at slightly different doses. Bioflavonooids (from citrus sources) help to facilitate Vitamin C usage but some are sensitive to them (1 member) and heartpounding, skip beats and other cardiac arrhythmias may occur. No studies have been done yet that determine which flavonoids work best for anxiety or depression.
Gaba Supplements
The only way to deliver GABA effectively is to circumvent the blood-brain barrier. Indeed, there are a small, limited number of over-the-counter supplements that are derivatives of GABA, such as phenibut and picamilon combines niacin and GABA and crosses the blood–brain barrier as a prodrug that later hydrolyzes into GABA and niacin.
Phenibut
There are numerous reports of withdrawal symptoms on Internet forums and blogs including "nervousness and shakiness, psychomotor agitation, feeling easily annoyed and irritated, fatigue, poor appetite, heart pounding and racing, nausea, insomnia, and feeling tense and keyed up", consistent with its GABAB agonist properties. There has been no systematic study of this problem. Very limited data to show it can be both anti-anxiety and antidepressant in nature.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23391959
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21476277
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20841974
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19899708
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19334514
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/18607733

Picamilon
Picamilon is able to cross the blood–brain barrier and then is hydrolyzed into GABA and niacin. The released GABA in theory would activate GABA receptors potentially producing an anxiolytic response. The second released component, niacin acts as a strong vasodilator, which might be useful for the treatment of migraine headaches. Very limited data to show it can be both anti-anxiety and antidepressant in nature.
Reported side effects include, but are not limited to, lightheadedness and decrease in blood pressure.
Phemibut has been researched more completely than picamilon. Neither are to be taken with benzos,
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/14558352
http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/2736292
Member comments on taking Gaba supplements...
pag - The doc increased my GABA intake
Turbolag - I take GABA, made by now. but it's been 1 a day. The instructions say 2-3 capsules daily. So I guess I could try going to 2?
1 capsule has 500mg of GABA and 2mg of vitamin B-6.
AKA -By the way, I'm taking 400mg of SAM-e in the morning and 500 of GABA once in the morning and once at night. I've been feeling pretty good mood wise for the last two weeks on this combination. My persistent issue is sleep disturbances.
FH - both SAM-e and GABA can cause sleep disturbances including constant dreaming, erratic sleep and disturbing dreams.
FN - Caution -Aspartame causes "The ATP stores [adenosine triphosphate] in the cells are depleted, indicating that low concentrations of glucose are present in the cells, and this in turn will indirectly decrease the synthesis of acetylcholine, glutamate and GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid)."
Note - Indicates one should decrease the use of aspartame during withdrawal.
Flossy - Apparently xanax depletes your natural gaba. The gaba is actually helping a lot! I am so angry and agitated at the moment due to Cymbalta withdrawal and gaba is calming me a lot.
Note as mentioned above, benzos compete with gaba for the same receptors it does not deplete the gaba in your brain.
tt2k - They specialize in 5 htp, GABA, and other amino acids that totally help your body regulate and produce the chemicals your body needs to fight anxiety and depression. TOTALLY WAS A BLESSING!!!
Cez - The GABA acts as a balancer of other chemical processes in the brain and helps to reduce anxiety and induces relaxation and sleep. It was suggested taking 250 mg mid afternoon and late evening and working up if needed. TAKE THE FIRST DOSE AT HOME IN CASE IT MAKES YOU TOO SLEEPY TO DRIVE!! I only found 750 mg in the local GNC. I am splitting the capsules to lower the dosage until my mail order lower doses come.
phtech - How it works: Gaba is an inhibitory neurotransmitter that slows activity in th ebrain and makes it easier to fall asleep. How to use:Take 500mg to 1000 mg one hour before bedtime if you have trouble getting to sleep. IF your problem is that you wake in the middle of the night and cant go back to sleep, then take it then. Do not exceed recommended doses on the package. Do this for two weeks. If it doesn't help, talk to your doctor. Caution: combining GABA with prescription or over-the counter sleep aids can cause excessive sedation."
Cam - GABA - 250 mg when I'm feeling restless (helps your neurotransmitters kick in to relax,
GABA calm - 1 member
Contains magnesium, GABA, glycine, n-acetyl l-tyrosine and taurine also sorbitol, mannitol, stearic acid, modified cellulose gum, natural orange flavor, and magnesium stearate.

Gaba Plus - 1 member
maccacat - He started taking a supplement called Gaba Plus and told me he feels a difference.
Ingredients: GABA, glutamine, passionflower aerial parts, taurine and spirulina.

https://www.cymbalta...-advice-please/
Includes a detailed discussion on Gaba

Medicines that react with the Gaba receptors....
See ... https://en.wikipedia...eceptor_agonistAgonists which stimulate the gaba receptors.
and https://en.wikipedia...ptor_antagonistAntagonists which inhibit the gaba receptors.
FN - Trazadone works on the GABA receptors....
Note - to some extent bit it also reacts with over 20 other receptors.

See - https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/15610924
Both klonopin and baclofen work on the GABA receptors Wiki

Drug Interactions
https://link.springe...?no-access=true

Not involved with Serotonin Syndrome

Vitamin C
https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2649700/
Ascorbate is proposed as a neuromodulator (effects the performance of other neurons) of glutamatergic, dopaminergic, cholinergic and GABAergic transmission and related behaviors.

Antihistamines
The H2 antihistamine receptor is found throughout the hypothalamus, thalamus and central nervous system including neurons (nerve cells). It stimulates formation of cAMP (a compound used to transport energy), protein formation, muscle contraction, blood pressure and much more. The receptor is found in neurons and when stimulated it acts to inhibit other neurotransmitter formation including dopamine, GABA, acetylcholine, noradrenaline, histamine and serotonin.

Antidepressants -
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15451391
In comparison with saline, citalopram (Celexa) produced a mean increase of 35% in relative brain GABA concentration in the occipital cortex.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/25082715
Zolpidem (Ambien) increases GABA in depressed volunteers maintained on SSRIs.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/11925309
A significant increase in occipital cortex GABA concentrations was seen after SSRI treatment.

Articles On How Anti-Depressants Effect Gaba
http://www.cymbaltaw...nts-effect-gaba

Other Supplements that efffect Gaba
Details on these supplements will be given in another section.
Thiamine (Vitamin B1) is used in the biosynthesis of the neurotransmitters acetylcholine and gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA). Humans must obtain it from their diet. Thiamine deficiency has a potentially fatal outcome if it remains untreated. There are no reports available of adverse effects from consumption of excess thiamine by ingestion of food and supplements. Thiamine increases the flow of glutamate into the cells for use in neurotransmitter formation. Wiki
Note - Use of thiamine supplements may increase gaba concentrations in the brain but it may also increase acetylcholine. This may account for the variety of responses by members.

No research found to indicate Thiamine is anxiolytic.
B6 (pyridoxine) is involved in many aspects of macronutrient metabolism, neurotransmitter synthesis, histamine synthesis, hemoglobin synthesis and function, and gene expression. It is a factor in the biosynthesis of five important neurotransmitters: serotonin, dopamine, epinephrine, norepinephrine, and gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA).
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/10746516
50 mg B6 with Mg
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/15554143
Magne-B6 (a magnesium lactate/pyridoxine combination), effective. 14 days to start.
Antihistamines
The H2 antihistamine receptor is found throughout the hypothalamus, thalamus and central nervous system including neurons (nerve cells). It stimulates formation of cAMP (a compound used to transport energy), protein formation, muscle contraction, blood pressure and much more. The receptor is found in neurons and when stimulated it acts to inhibit other neurotransmitter formation including dopamine, GABA, acetylcholine, noradrenaline, histamine and serotonin.

Benzodiazipines
https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2943829/
Based on collective findings in this benzodiazepine withdrawal-anxiety model, we propose a functional model illustrating the changes in glutamate receptor populations at excitatory synapses during benzodiazepine withdrawal.
(Physically alters GABA receptor shape and function during withdrawal.)
http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3494928/
Chronic BZ treatment results in allosteric uncoupling of the GABA and BZ binding sites, suggesting changes in receptor subunit composition and/or receptor function (reviewed in ref. 7). Chronic dosing of animals with BZ leads to a reduction in GABAAR synaptic inhibition (8\l "–10) and produces diverse changes in GABAAR transcripts across the brain (7). Direct comparison and interpretation of these and other studies assessing mRNA levels has been challenging due to differences in treatment paradigm (time and dose), brain regions assessed, and the BZ ligand used. Radioligand binding studies have reported mixed results, ranging from decreases to no change in CNS BZ binding sites, likely due to methodological limitations in assessing subtype-specific GABAAR changes.
(Multiple references to changes in the receptors)
Benzodiazepines enhance the effect of the GABA at the GABAAa receptor. Wiki
During withdrawal, fluoroquinolone-based antibiotics are best avoided if possible; they displace benzodiazepines from their binding site and reduce GABA function and, thus, may aggravate withdrawal symptoms.

L-theanine
L-theanine is an amino acid precursor to glutamate (involved in the synthesis of GABA) and glutamine. It can cross the blood brain barrier. It is only produced by plants and fungi and a component in some teas. It inhibits glutamine transporters and glutamate transporters, and thus blocks the reuptake of glutamine and glutamate. Theanine increases serotonin, dopamine, GABA, and glycine levels in various areas of the brain. Caution – Most plants that contain L-theanine also contain caffeine and it can be a significant contaminant in L-theanine supplements. It is synthesized from glutamate using the enzyme glutamate decarboxylase and pyridoxal phosphate (which is the active form of vitamin B6) as a cofactor. This process converts glutamate, the principal excitatory neurotransmitter, into the principal inhibitory neurotransmitter (GABA).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theanine

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/21208586
Effective, 400 mg/day
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/15378679
Not effective on anxiety, 200 mg/day
https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4137547/
Used to treat PTSD. It was successful in treating 8 gene problems associated with PSTD in the hippocampus and amygdala.

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

God-like

• Active Members
  • 6,697 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:12 AM

Increasing production of Endorphins

When you are low in endorphins, you are more likely to feel anxious, depressed, stressed out, and unable to enjoy life or experience joy.

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Endorphins
Endorphins are endogenous opioid neuropeptides and peptide hormones in humans and other animals. They are produced by the central nervous system and the pituitary gland. The principal function of endorphins is to inhibit the transmission of pain signals; they may also produce a feeling of euphoria (pleasure,happiness) very similar to that produced by other opioids.

How to increase endorphon levels

1. Sniff some vanilla or lavender - Vanilla causes an increase in production of endorphins. This is wht it can help so many with anxiety. The endorphins released when inhaling lavender creates a calming effect that may even enhance sleep and relieve depression.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4325408/
http://www.sciencedi...221169115001033
Ward, A., & Ward, K. (2006). U.S. Patent Application 11/609,330.

Vanilla Oil - Comments from Members

Plzhelp - i just recently learned that 'vanilla' is now something i am currently allergic to (i get headaches).
Lavender Oil - Members 12 positive and 1 negative comment.

SCL - I also have a sleep blend of Serenity, lavender, sandalwood, and bergamot. The calming blend even helped me with a headache without meds!

Gail - What helps me is bubble bath with lavender essential oil.

CurlyKate - The tips on bathing aren't working, my skin feels so tingly and creepy crawly that even my hair and clothing are painful...lavender and any other smells are triggering migraines...lost all appetite...can't sleep...this really sucks!

Gene - I agree 100% with the lavender scent, amazing how calming it is

Warning - Many essential oils are toxic to the liver and may collect there. Especially if taken orally or applied on the skin in large quantities or frequently.

The oils listed underneath are banned (FDA) and can cause toxicity if taken internally as well as dermally (eg. in a massage blend).
⦁ Almond butter
⦁ Boldo leaf
⦁ Calamus
⦁ Camphor
⦁ Horseradish
⦁ Jaborandi leaf
⦁ Mugwort
⦁ Mustard
⦁ Nightshade
⦁ Pennyoyal (both European and North American)
⦁ Rue
⦁ Sassafras
⦁ Savin
⦁ Southernwood
⦁ Stinging nettles
⦁ Tansy
⦁ Thuja
⦁ Wintergreen
⦁ Wormseed
⦁ Wormwood

http://essentialoils.../toxic-oils.htmgives details on each of these oils.
Medical research on DERMAL toxicity of essential oils.
https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3546250/
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/23663182
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/15771186
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/16324777
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/25272759
About lemon, ginger and clove toxicity.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/15895251
Recent growth in aromatherapy sales has been accompanied by an unfortunate increase in accidental poisoning from these products. Clove oil warrants special attention.

2. take ginseng (red ginseng preferably)

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/16450289
http://muskrat.middl...ch/ginseng.html

Members - 6
Butterflygt - Combining that with breathing techniques, drinking lots of water and even green tea with ginseng and lemon it made everything bearable.

3. Exercise

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/18604371
Overtraining (OT) is a complex and multifactorial sport phenomenon, and there is no independent marker that can diagnose OT. The main stimulus for beta-end(1-31) secretion is to exercise because its secretion is volume/intensity dependent for both aerobic and anaerobic exercise. Excess training, however, may reduce beta-end(1-31) concentrations, thus altering its beneficial effects. Therefore, beta-end(1-31) could be used as an additional OT marker, mainly because its effects are strongly related to OT symptoms.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/1553453
https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/6091217
https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/9257407
and many more

As indicated by the first research article, the degree of exercise determines the quantities of endorphins. As many of our members related that light to moderate activities often made them feel better but heavy exercise often brought on an increase in withdrawal symptoms. Stretching also releases endorphins.

4. laughter

5. sex

6. chocolate (unsweetened cocoa) - One of the more unique neurotransmitters released by chocolate is phenylethylamine. This so called "chocolate amphetamine" causes endorphin levels to rise significantly.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/1805284
http://www.sciencedi...16503270600084X
https://www.elsevier...about-chocolate
and more.

Members on Cocoa - 4. all positive.

BRZ - my new anti anxiety drug is Lindt's 90% cocoa chocolate

Members on Chocolate - 18 comments, 6 mention dark unsweetened chocolate, and 4 negative comments about a sugar rush followed by a crash.

FN - for example, Lindt makes choco bars in different % ... the darkest is 90% chocolate ... bitter, but I've gotten to love it ... big boost.

Boot2 - i found if i combined chocolate (i am using unsweetened health food store kind now) and valerian- it feels like i am almost normal again...thought i;d pass that along.

7. music

8. Eat something spicy

Capsaicin (trans-8-methyl-N-vanillyl-6-nonenamide) is a naturally occurring alkaloid derived from plants of the genus Capsicum, better known as chili pepper fruit. It is a member of the vanilloid family of compounds (e.g., vanillin from vanilla, eugenol from bay leaves, cloves, and zingerone from ginger) (Hayman and Kam, 2008).

https://www.research...ions_in_the_rat
http://www.phytochem...s/capsaicin.php
https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/2944026
http://www.rspublica.../april13/54.pdf
and many more articles.

9. Eat your very favorite food.

10. Meditation - 49 members tried it, 48 positive reviews and 1 negative review.

Meditation has been shown to in crease the production of endorphins.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/7669835
https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/9748098
Harte JL, Eifert GH, Smith R. The effects of running and meditation on beta-endorphin, corticotropin-releasing hormone and cortisol in plasma, and on mood. Biol Psychol. 1995;40:251–65. [PubMed]
Yadav RK, Magan D, Mehta N, Sharma R, Mahapatra SC. Efficacy of a short-term yoga-based lifestyle intervention in reducing stress and inflammation: preliminary results. J Altern Complement Med. 2012;18:662–7. [PubMed]
And more.

Member tips and comments

VanEttan - I've found drug-free methods like meditation that help a GREAT deal most of the time but like today, when I'm in panic mode to that extent,

CCod - Meditate daily for 20 minutes/day minimum. I use the Insight Timer app on my iPad or the Calm app. Use the Calm app if you have never tried meditation. Calm is really great if you have never meditated because she starts out with beginner instructions and short meditations that last 10minutes. It WORKS every single time. For headaches, anxiety, extreme anxiety, and yesterday, nausea got better. It is not religious or dogmatic; it's. Breathing.

Farkle - I gotta share with all here that the trauma based meditation approach is incredibly helpful as a coping mechanism for times like this,

FH - Meditation does help but only to a point. Once the anxiety gets too bad it becomes overwhelming.

Uriel - Just wondering if you all went cold turkey or did the weaning off slowly thing. It may sound bizarre but I have been doing meditation for 15 min a day to a meditation cd and its pretty amazing how the breathing calms your whole system.

Butterfly - The name of the app is "Relieve Depression Hypnosis-Guided meditation and Mental Health". There is a few different ones on the app store you can try and they are free, I really liked this one.

TM - I spent a few months listening to guided Mindfulness Meditation sessions at bedtime, and found it useful for winding down and falling asleep. You can find them on YouTube, on CD's, and elsewhere on the net.

considering - I think meditation has helped me deal with bouts of low grade depression that I've experienced in the last seven years since I've been on Cymbalta. So I would highly recommend it to anyone. But I recommend that you have a teacher, even if it's meditation CDs of teachings from Sharon Saltzberg or Pema Chodron.

Tinajuli - Somehow I have an anti-reaction when I think of relaxing methods like meditation and yoga. I tried them so much when I had that real depression and they didn't help, and I was despaired because they didn't help.

Karen - The guided meditation takes my anxiety down a lot. It might not be for you, but it really helped me
Check out this site: http://www.30minutem...meditation.html

Shanna - Go to http://www.self-compassion.org(my psychologist recommended this resource). Download the 'Loving Kindness / Self-Compassion' meditation and the 'Soften, Soothe, Allow' meditation - they are free and they are a great way to start cutting yourself a bit of slack and help you feel a bit more on top of yourself.

TXc - I also think meditation is helpful. There are some guided meditations you can download that are encouraging and reinforce the strength you have and can tap into to get through this. It's also nice when my senses are overly sensitive to shut down the noise, stay still, and focus on healing.

TBS - I'd also recommend a cd set by Buddhist teacher Jack Kornfield (Not to be confused with Jack Canfield!!!) called The Inner Art of Meditation. It's a workshop he ran with talks and short meditations and probably my favorite of all time.

Imdone - Meditation and visualization are powerful tools. I would recommend that everyone here practice visualization daily.

Zombie - I replaced the Cymbalta with Autogenics and Guided Meditations (not exotic meditation). My Pain Clinic has a psychologist who started me on Autogenics. I now do them daily. For guided meditations, I like this one: Susie Mantrell's Your Present: A Half-Hour of Peace. If you have access to a large library system, you will find many audio CDs on all of this so you can preview "programs" before buying CDs. Also, there are samples or mini-examples on youtube.

Chrism - And for me, meditation focused on breathing helps immensely, but that is not a skill you can pick up right away.

11. Increased exposure to sunlight.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/24949966
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/26774381
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/16635689
https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2290997/
and more

There are numerous comments from members concerning getting enough sunlight each day. About half of the posts are in reference to the Vit D3 deficiency that member is suffering from and the rest are just general comments that sunlight is good for you especially if you have depression.

12. Certain touchs (hugs, massages...etc)

6 members mentioned messages in relation to their withdrawal. 5 positive. Many others got routine massages for their fibro and frequently mentioned how relaxed they were afterward.

TFL - Today was massage and am feeling better.

Paul - I ended up going to a spa and massage resort yesterday with the wife - didnt really find it relaxing at all!

13. Acupuncture

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/22073885
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/22073888
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/24215920
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/26896946
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/25595195
https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/7455665
and more

Member comments and tips - 15 reviews 14 positive.

FH - Many of my friends and family members have had acupuncture over the years. I think it is a great tool BUT there are a lot more idiots doing acupuncture than experts. In fact my family has only found one so far in the states that new what he was doing (I am sure there are others though).

Traceyish - I've been trying acupuncture, and a host of natural remedies but nothing is working.

GMI - I found a lot of relief from acupuncture in the early stages of withdrawal. I’ve mentioned in prior posts that I was never one to believe in acupuncture even though so many people have told me what wonders it's done for them. These types of acupuncture facilities are all over the country and one near you can be found on this link if you’re is interested in giving it a try: https://www.pocacoop...earch-by-state/

Zeus - However, my general practitioner thought different. She uses a combination of eastern and western medicine and suggested acupuncture. Wow what an improvement. I had one treatment this morning and no nausea since. Even the fatigue is better and I feel like eating again.

considering - Check out the U.S. network of Community Acupuncture Clinics. They are a great way to get low cost acupuncture treatment.

BCH - I used acupuncture, which helped amazingly well. Over a period of about 4 months I suffered very few side effect.

ECU - the auriculotherapy (like acupuncture, only done on the ear alone) was based on a 5 point protocol designed to treat heroin addicts in withdrawal, and got rid of all the physical symptoms (temporarily) and enabled me to function while my body adjusted.

cmonk - I had been going for acupuncture treatments and yes they are wonderful

Sarahj - Oh yeah, I realized how much acupuncture was helping me after the third treatment, I went once a week. So, I hope that it provides some benefit to you. One thing that I tried during the worst of the withdrawal is acupuncture. It really made a difference in my overall outlook on everything, not in a magic bullet kind of way, but my sense of being aware and wanting to take better care of myself seem to be heightened by the experience.

Rogerwilco -Acupuncture is definitely the best way I've found to treat withdrawal discomfort from pharma drugs. The thing about acupuncture is that it has side effects too... but they're all GOOD! I mean, like, WOW :!:

Ramona - acupuncture regularly now. It doesn't take away all the withdrawal symptoms, but it balances the systems in your body to help you feel better while you're going through this. Really calms down the anxiety, quiets your mind.

14. Deep breathing, sighs, yawns....

These activities cause an increase in the release of dopamine, endorphins and serotonin. This fact has been used by psychologists for decades to help control anxiety, depression and sleep. By causing yourself to yawn several time over a 10 or 15 minute period it will release enough of these neurotransmitters to help relax and induce sleep. Sighs work much in the same fashion but to a lesser degree, Breathing exercises are the most effective. A good psychologist should be used to teach the most effective techniques.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/9551709

Member comments and tips - deep breathes, breath(ing) - 22 comments all positive

Raven - Breathe it deep calming breaths and hold them for about 5 seconds before slowly letting them out.

Gail - you need to breathe, yes breathe in and out slowly.

Wagtail - Breathe deeply & slowly & DONT BE SCARED ..

FH - Deep breathing. Close your eyes—and try taking deep, slow breaths— making each breath even deeper than the last. If you have a psychologist who could teach you relaxation techniques, controlled breathing and heart rate, etc. These techniques really do work.

Raven - Just do you best to stay calm and use breathing techniques. My husband and FH have given me great tips on breathing when anxiety strikes. FH because he is a veteran and my husband because he has asthma.

Keys to breathing:
** Take slow deep breaths (breath in deeply and slowly)
** Hold for at least 15 secs if you can
** Exhale slowly
***repeat as needed*

FN - What helped me the most with this was yoga ...the breathing exercises ... once learned, they can be done anywhere, anytime .... the release of the built up anxiety in my body was tremendous ...

WAH - Some things that have helped me:

Practice breathing techniques. I'm one of those people who holds her breath a lot, and I don't even know that I'm doing it.

Janson - . i've learned a few breathing exercises via yoga and that helps immensely to calm down those nerves that are about to snap. even without knowledge of specific breathing exercises, just take deep full breaths with hands on your stomach and see your tummy rise on the breath in and then fully breath out. so simple, so effective.

Note - There must have been well over 100 members that had posts similar to the one below. Shortness of breath, heart pounding, skip beats, tightness in the chest or chest pain. These are classic anxiety symptoms and are the result of elevated adrenalin e levels. Adrenaline is a vasoconstrictor and bronchiole constrictor. These shallow rapid breaths allow CO2 to build in the lungs and worsens the symptoms. Alpha-agonists (eg. clonidine) and beta blockers (atenolol) work well t o block the effects of this excess adrenaline. Breathing exercises also help considerably in breaking this Cycle. As you can see below ZA got it really right.

Snap87 - Just scared with the shortness of breath and heart palpitations more than anything.

ZA - the 'out of breath' symptom is actually ;shallow breathing and I had that for about 2days it is very exhaustingas it cuauses your ozygen saturation to drop. what worked for me 'was awareness -slow deep breathing -then a little aerobics. it helped to up my b/p and neuteralize by blood gases

15. Conditioned Response -
One of the methods that can have a dramatic effect on anxiety is the development of a phrase in association with breathing exercises and relaxation techniques. This usually takes time to develop but is very effective. The process is begun by selecting a phrase...say the word "easy" for example. When you notice that you begin to get too anxious then lay down, close your eyes and begin your deep breathing exercises while also doing relaxation like 'progressive relaxation' all the time repeating the word 'easy' in your mind. With practice this becomes very effective and the need to lay down to achieve success is not necessary. You simply stop in place, close your eyes and say the word 'easy" to yourself while relaxing and breathing deeply. You then proceed on with your activities. This can be further used by your spouse to help you control your anxiety. If your spouse notices you becoming anxious they can simply develop a certain place she/he touches you gently as a signal that you need to stop, breath and relax. With practice this becomes automatic and can easily be done in public without drawing attention to your state of mind. The is a conditioned response so it MUST be practiced until it is a reflex action to be most helpful.

Three members report using this technique with excellent results.

Other Medical Research
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/15639542
it is suggested that melatonin exerts its analgesic actions not by binding to opioid receptor subtypes but by binding to its own receptors and increasing the release of beta-endorphin.

As well as ...
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/12579851
https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/3361078
https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/1668619
https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5038497/
and more.

Also....
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/12043836
Inhibition of dopamine release by melatonin has been demonstrated in specific areas of the mammalian central nervous system (hypothalamus, hippocampus, medulla-pons, and retina). Antidopaminergic activities of melatonin have been demonstrated in the striatum.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/6291701
The data of this study provide evidence for a further mechanism by which beta-endorphin may alter dopaminergic neurotransmission, namely by increasing dopamine reuptake into dopaminergic nerve endings.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/6263592
The data are consistent with the hypothesis that endorphins act at a presently unknown brain site(s) to increase the central sympathetic outflow to adrenal medulla and peripheral sympathetic nerve endings, thus stimulating peripheral catecholamine release and increasing plasma concentrations of epinephrine, norepinephrine, and dopamine.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/9588760
CSF (cerebrospinal fluid) levels of both neuropeptides (beta-endorphins and P factor) were observed to peak during the first year of life, and showed a negative correlation with increasing age. A significant positive correlation was observed between the CSF level of beta-endorphin and that of substance P.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...cles/PMC432218/
In cerebral cortex, brainstem, caudate nucleus, and thalamus, most responsive cells were inhibited by the peptides (endorphins) and by normorphine, while in hippocampus all responsive cells were excited. These results are consistent with the hypothesis that the endorphins and enkephalins may represent a new class of central neurotransmitters; among other functions, these peptides may play a role in the regulation of behavior and the expression of psychopharmacological agents such as the opiate alkaloids.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users