• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Wildefx

Wildefx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:30 PM

I recently stopped taking cymbalta 120mg cold turkey. I was takin into the ER after attempting suicide. Upon entry to the hospital they discontinued all medication I had previously been taking. I spent two days in the ICU and one day in the hospital prior to being sent to the Psychicatry Unit for 5 days. During this whole time I received no medication. It was only when I got to the Psychicatry Unit that they decided to start me on Latuda 40mg.

I kept having "brain zaps" every time I moved my eyes, I just assumed they were a complication from the suicide attempt. It wasn't until I saw my Psychatrist this Thursday that he told me that that is a common withdraw symptom of cymbalta. I also have felt a general uncomfortableness, upon doing some research of my own it seems this could be from the cymbalta withdraw as well.

Thursday my Psychatrist put me on Trintellex and said that taking this will also help the cymbalta withdraw go away. The brain zaps have subsided considerably. I hope that as I get on the trintellex more that the others will go away also.

Another thing I noticed with no longer being on Cymbalta is that some pain has returned. A few years ago I injured my left shoulder (bursitis/tendinitis). At that time I received the typically cortisone injunction. But also around that time is when I started Cymbalta. Well my shoulder has recently started hurting again and prior to my Psychatrist appointment I visited my MD for another injection. It wasn't until seeing my Psychatrist and him asking me about how my pain level has been that I said now that I think of it my arm has started hurting again.

When I first started Cymbalta I looked at it as this great drug, it not only helped with depression but also with anxiety which is something that I have worse. And a side benefit is it helps with minor pain. But now after this I would never tell anyone to take Cymbalta, after my own experience and reading others.

My only worry is how long the withdraw symptoms are going to last. It has been 13 days for me so far with out any Cymbalta and I've been on the Trintellix for 4 days now. The brain zaps are pretty much gone, but the restlessness and uneasiness are still there.

Thank you for listening, I appreciate any feed back.

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:20 PM

Welcome Wildefx

Well the last thing you want to do is go cold turkey off of Cymbalta as the FDA and manufacturer both warns that it increases the risk of suicide. The psych dr did a typical move and put you on Trintellex. It blocks serotonin reuptake and also increases serotonin production. It also has a nasty withdrawal but there again all antidepressants have a bad withdrawal.

The increase in pain is also a common effect when withdrawing from Cymbalta. Many drs use it to treat pain, especially peripheral pain. This will ease as the withdrawal subsides. It takes 2 weeks to see a benefit from the Trintellex and 4 to 6 weeks for full effect.

Your dr can prescribe either clonidine or hydroxyzine to help with the restlessness, anxiety, etc. They are none addictive and no withdrawal. Most drs prefer benzos like valium, Ativan or Xanax and they do work well but are very addictive and have a nasty withdrawal of their own.

Please feel and come back any time. You can post an update ask questions or just vent. We are always here to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users