• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Spm7782

Spm7782

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:16 PM

Hi. Im new to this site. Ive been on cymbalta 120 mg for about 8 years. Tried a few times in the past to lower my dose but failed. Really feel like im ready now and this site looks amazing, just what i need. Has anypne ever tried 120mg every other day at first? Been doing it for 1 week now. Felt weird the past 2 days but otherwise not too bad.

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:21 AM

Welcome Spm

I hate to say this but the every other day thing is a bad idea. Cymbalta has a half life of 12 hours so your blood levels will jump up and down and eventually you will repeat your withdrawal over and over. The FDA warns against this method and recommends bead counting. A slower and more controllable method.

Open your capsule and count all the little beads inside. The number of beads varies from brand to brand. Once you have counted the beads then reduce your dose by 1% or less per day. So in other words, if you have 300 little beads inside then open a capsule and remove 3 beads and take the remaining ones. The next day remove 6 beads and then 9 beads, etc. Anytime that the withdrawal is too bad then stay at your dosage until you settle down and then start bead counting again. Be aware that the lower you go on dosage the more the withdrawal effects you so be prepared to drop slower at some time.

Now having said that I will add this. Many but not all find it relatively easy to make a 30 mg drop at first. If this does cause some severe symptoms then you can always go back up to 120, stabilize and then start bead counting.

Just a word of warning. This withdrawal can be hell. I have seen people who can come off in 2 weeks with little symptoms (rare) and some have taken as long as 1 year to taper off. If you want to succeed you need to realize this is not a race and must be prepared to be patient. You can do this and we will be here to help so don't be afraid to ask questions or just come back to complain. We know what it is like.

#3 Spm7782

Spm7782

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:07 AM

Thank you. Yea actually last night was horrible. I take 60mg twive/day for almost 8 years. Tried going down to 90mg (60 then 30) but was unsuccessful in the past. Im going to try the bead counting because i got no sleep last night.

#4 Spm7782

Spm7782

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:11 AM

What about deducting say 75 beads for a month then taking out another 75 the following month? Basically deducting little by little each month?

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:26 PM

Many have started out that way but a 75 bead drop (out of 300 beads) would probably lead to very bad withdrawal and once the symptoms start they fade slow. By dropping a little each day you can stop weaning before the symptoms get bad. Once the symptoms get really cranking it can take 2 or 3 months to stabilize. Now I hope your experience isn't that bad but I want you to be prepared in case.

By the way a little original Benadryl helps with the sleep at night, also some of the dizziness and brain zaps. You mght check for drug interactions withm your other meds to be sure it is OK.

#6 Spm7782

Spm7782

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:17 PM

Oh shit. Thank you. Yea i feel pretty shitty today. Im gonna go back up to 120 and stabalize then try the 1% deduction of tge beads. Thank for your help. This site is amazing. Greatly appreciate it! I will post my progress to hopefully help others or provide better insite for some.

#7 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:59 AM

SPM,

I agree 100% with Fishinghat about reducing every day. Like 3beads, then 6 and so on.

You can do this, time and patience is what we need. Come back anytime you need, we are here for you!

#8 Feelingprettymiserable

Feelingprettymiserable

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:34 PM

This is my story also. Sounds like i wrote it lol. Before i found this site thought i had a very bad case of vertigo or something. Had stopped taking my Cymbalta for 3 days and decided to google withdrawal symptoms. Thats when i found ur site. Thank u guys SO MUCH!! I would have continued to think it was a sinus problem. Dr's NEVER told me about the HORRIBLE withdrawal symptoms or all the sleeping, libido, or weight problems it has caused me. You all gave me so much information and i have hope i will b off this horrible medication and live a normal life soon. Thank u all again. 💖

#9 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:42 AM

Welcome FPM

Sorry you are having such a hard time of it. If you decide and wean off be sure and go real, and I mean real, slow.

Come back and keep us posted. We are here to help.

#10 Feelingprettymiserable

Feelingprettymiserable

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:19 AM

Thank u so much. U have already been a very big help 😃. I am trying desperately to get off this mess. I'm taking five beads out a week unless i get the ZAPS again. Then I'll stay there for a few weeks. Let my brain adjust then start again. I came from 120 mg to 60mg and about died. Im holding at 60mg for about 10 days now with a super bad headache. Not a migraine (i have those too), just a super bad headache. Thank you God the ZAPS have stopped. I cant stand those. Feels worse than Vertigo!! I'll let u know my progress so maybe it will help others. Thank u so much for checking on me. Makes me feel better that someone cares. 😃 Hope everyone is doing well with leaving this drug in the dust!!

#11 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:45 AM

Always glad to help FPM. You might check out the thread called "and the answer to your question is..." in the Medical Support section. It is a summary of what members have tried for various symptoms and what worked and what didn't.  You might find some help for that headache.

#12 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:52 AM

Welcome FPM,

Do stay at 60mg for the time it takes to feel your oats. You had a pretty bad time from 120 to 60mg. Almost died, yes many feel so and end up at the ER.

I just wonder how to did this, cold turkey? I'm one for the details.

Fishinghat, wouldn't be better to go like 1-2-4-8 and so than dropping 5 beads in one shot?

FPM, you are never alone with this process, we follow you from A to Z. So, never worry about this.

#13 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:09 AM

1, 2, 4, 8 ?

So drop one bead, then 2 beads (another one bead drop), then 4 beads (a 2 bead drop) and then 8 beads (a 4 bead drop)?

Dropping 5 beads a week would be better if FPM dropped one bead a day on Mon, Tues, Thu, Fri, Sat and skip Wed and Sunday. That would make a 5 bead drop in a week and she/he would be less likely to get in trouble with her symptoms. Good point Gail.

#14 Feelingprettymiserable

Feelingprettymiserable

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:33 AM

Just wanted to add a BIG THANK YOU to u guys for all ur help. Couldn't have done it by myself. Yall really helped with ur suggestions and letting me know what had helped u. I appreciate all of u. Thank yall SO SO MUCH. Almost all done. Maybe one more month. Yeppie!! My head still hurts but its more like a bad sinus infection instead of a migraine with vertigo now. That was the worst. Again thanks to u all 💖💖

#15 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:29 AM

I am glad it is going well and we could help. Don't underestimate this last little bit. It can and usually is the hardest part. It is most critical to take your time now. Slow but steady and I am sure you will be alright. Keep us posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users