• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 siggyd17

siggyd17

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:48 AM

Hi. I'm rather new to the community, as well as this prescription drug. Let me give you my back story: In January 2017 I was involved in a really bad wreck. Apparently, I did not bend my left arm as I hit their car. The person pulled out as I was coming down the road. I thought she would keep going, and I knew I would not be able to stop in time even if I slammed on my breaks. She ended up stopping as I was trying to go around her, and BAM! I t-boned her. Since I did not bend my arm, I have had horrible pains, weakness, and numbing sensations. The person even told me as they came around to my side of the car that they didn't see me and that they were very sorry. I know she didn't do it on purpose, I mean, who does that? LOL! But I was in so much pain. Because of all this, I was unable to drive, think, speak coherently for a while, read, and even write, as well as walk. After about 3 months, I tried to go back to work only to find a hostile work environment. I quickly became very suicidal. After a week back, I had plans to take all my meds and just take my life. I decided that was a bad idea, and left on a Friday at about noon and sped to my doctor's office. I gave him all my meds, and asked if I could please get some help. I ended up in a therapy hospital, no psych ward or anything. Eventually, my new doctor diagnosed me with MDD (Major Depressive Disorder), PTSD (post traumatic disorder), and GAD (general anxiety disorder, which I believe they scratched and said it wasn't just a generalized anxiety). My PTSD has kept me up since then with bad dreams and overall feelings of dread. Today, I'm doing a little better, but I'm still afraid to drive home (that's when my accident happened). I tend to try to stay in a far right lane (still) and drive a bit under the speed limit, not much. But I try to stay away and out of the way of other people. I'm still scared to drive, but I make myself do it every day. While I was at the hospital though, I was prescribed 30mg (to start) of duloxetene (cymbalta), 1mg prazosin, and 100mg of trazadone. The cymbalta has been really great, however, I cannot afford it. So last month I went for almost a week without it and was very very sick. I mean vomiting, nausea, hot/cold, moody, etc. I even felt the need to just sit and cry for no reason. So, once I got my refill, and took my first pill, I was ok. However, I realized that I'm not always going to have the money to get these pills. So, my doctor said we would try to wean myself off. We want to go to 30mg again. I've been on 60mg because my insurance will only pay for one pill per day basically. 

As of today, October 17th, I have gone 4 days without my Cymbalta. Yes, I was very ill this morning. But it took longer to get the withdrawal symptoms. So, I do plan on just staying off the cymbalta as much as I can. I definitely crave it, I can feel the want for it. But I am holding out because I hate being sick. I'd rather get this over and done with now than later. Also, I found out that Cymbalta helps with the nerve pain I am having in my back, shoulders, neck, and arm. I was always told that it was for depression. The prazosin is something I will be sticking with for sure. It helps so much with nightmares and helping keep me asleep. I do plan on getting rid of the trazadone as well as I know that stuff I will have to keep upping the dosage on. Plus, since melatonin doesn't work for me, I know there are other things out there that are safer and even some OTC meds for sleep. 

I guess the reason I came on here is to really just share my story with everyone. I wanted to be sure that I am not alone in this. lol! 

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:02 PM

Hi Sig

Your story is typical of so many trying to get off Cymbalta. I would recommend bead counting to get off the drug. You open a capsule and count the number of beads inside and drop by 1% per day. For example, if your capsule has 300 beads inside then you would reduce by 3 beads a day. So from 300 to 297 to 294, .....

This provides for a slower more controlled drop. You can pause at a given dosage if things get too bad. There is also  hydroxyzine and/or clonidine that the dr can prescribe to help the symptoms during withdrawal. Neither are addictive nor have a withdrawal. Something to think about. Also, over the counter Benadryl will help with sleep and some of the anxiety symptoms as well.

Feel free to come back and ask questions or just complain. We know what it is like and understand.

#3 siggyd17

siggyd17

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:12 AM

I had 12 beads in mine. :( Is that normal? 

#4 siggyd17

siggyd17

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:15 AM

I'm just going to log this here: Monday took apart a cymbalta and took 4 beads into a capsule. I haven't taken anymore. I'm about to start my menses, and I have some sinus issues (stupid weather).  Today, I have a bad headache and neckache, and last night I woke up drenched in sweat...cold and hot. Sitting here, I'm cold, but I'm also feeling hot at the same time..almost like I'm sick. :( This sucks soooo bad. I just want to go cry. My best friend has TN, or the suicide disease. I pray her meds work for her that she's on, but she's been so supportive. So have all of you! Thank you so much! <3

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:35 AM

With only 12 beads in a capsule each drop is a large dose change.  I assume you are taking 4 beads every day and not skipping days but want to be sure. The symptoms suck but they will eventually disappear.

#6 siggyd17

siggyd17

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:50 AM

God-like, 

I am free and clear of the cymbalta now. I still have capsules that I refuse to take. I have 12 beads in each. I started slowly, taking one bead out each day. I then slowly took two more out the next week, and so on. I did mine by weeks. But only because I knew if I didn't, I wouldn't wean off completely. I know I have an addictive personality with things, especially when it comes to pain. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users