Switching Generic Brand During Taper

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#121 Guest_gardenlady_*

Guest_gardenlady_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2018 - 11:15 PM

Thank you, juli!  I'm so glad that it worked for you and by the grace of God, perhaps it will be the same for me.  Thanks again for your kind interest. 

#122 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:15 AM

Juli's method is typical and excellant. If you know what you want to taper onto let me know and I will try to work up something for you.

#123 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:30 AM

Several of the members posted how their dr cross tapered then so I can research that post the way they did it for your review if I know what you want to change to.

#124 Guest_gardenlady_*

Guest_gardenlady_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:45 PM

My doctor gave me a 30 day supply of 10 mg Prozac.  I'm afraid to take them as I'm scared I won't be able to reduce the Cymbalta without terrible withdrawal symptoms and then I'll be stuck on 2 antidepressants.  If the cross taper doesn't work, should I immediately stop the Prozac? 

Should I keep trying to taper the Cymbalta by itself and get down to 30 mg or plunge ahead with the Prozac bridge?  How long should I take the Prozac before making a Cymbalta cut?  My doctor suggested a week, but I don't know if that's long enough for it to have an effect. 

I keep wondering if I'm still in benzo withdrawal.  I've been off 7 months and my symptoms have lessened but I'm still not ok....not sure how much of that is due to the benzo vs the Cymbalta taper.  Perhaps my CNS is too unstable to attempt the Prozac bridge.  I guess there's no way to know for sure.  

#125 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:27 AM

"If the cross taper doesn't work, should I immediately stop the Prozac? "

It takes Prozac 4 to 6 weeks to fully kick in. If by that time you see little to no progress than normally the dr would take you off it and immediately switch to a different AD like Zoloft, Lexapro, etc.

"Should I keep trying to taper the Cymbalta by itself and get down to 30 mg or plunge ahead with the Prozac bridge? "

If you feel the symptoms getting better and you think you can handle it, sure drop the Cymbalta some but only a little at a time.

"Should I keep trying to taper the Cymbalta by itself and get down to 30 mg or plunge ahead with the Prozac bridge? How long should I take the Prozac before making a Cymbalta cut? My doctor suggested a week, but I don't know if that's long enough for it to have an effect."

You take it until you reach the 6 month mark (meaning it will not work) or your symptoms get better, in which case you can begin tapering your Cymbalta again.

"I keep wondering if I'm still in benzo withdrawal. I've been off 7 months and my symptoms have lessened but I'm still not ok....not sure how much of that is due to the benzo vs the Cymbalta taper."

Your gaba receptors are still healing but any effects from the Benzo withdrawal should be minor by now. Gaba receptors will mostly heal by the 6 month but there will still be some improvements over the next year and a half. This has been determined by studying patients who have come off benzos and tracking their sensitivity to set backs after stopping the drug. For whatever that is worth. lol
Also realize the Cymbalta withdrawal does not effect the GABA receptors but serotonin and norepinephrine. I wouldn't worry about the benzo withdrawal at this point.

Let me know if you have any questions. I know it is tough to decide what specific direction to go in, especially when a lot of this information applies in general and there are a lot of exceptions especially considering the genetic variability that comes into play.

#126 juli

juli

Good Friend

• Site Supporter
  • 149 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 11:58 AM

Praying for you GardenLady.  I feel for you because I am also one of the unlucky ones that had such a hard time of it.  I know how you are feeling and it can seem hopeless.  Please know that brighter days are ahead.  I promise you that.  I was convinced that I was permanently broken.  You are not broken and will be back to your old self soon.

Since you had such a difficult time tapering and reinstating, as did I,  I think the new AD is just what your body needs to heal.

It is what the doctors are doing now with patients who can't get through this, so have faith my dear. It's the withdrawl that is making things seem so hopeless.

#127 Guest_gardenlady_*

Guest_gardenlady_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2018 - 02:49 PM

Thanks fishinghat and juli.  I took my first 10 mg Prozac today.  How long should I take it before making a cut in the Cymbalta, and what size cut should I make?  Up to now, even 1 mg cuts have been brutal.  I'm at 34 mg Cymbalta. 

#128 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 August 2018 - 03:57 PM

I would wait about 7 to 10 days. Also most people drop by 1% or less when they get to the hard part. A 1 mg drop is too much for you to deal with (that is around 3%).

#129 Guest_gardenlady_*

Guest_gardenlady_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2018 - 04:24 PM

I'm concerned about being on 2 antidepressants, simulaneously, for an extended period.  I've read that it's important to drop the first one within 2 weeks after starting the second one because the body can adapt to needing two making it too hard to get off of.  

What is your experience with this and with others whom you've watched go through the bridging process? 

Are you suggesting that I decrease the Cymbalta 1% after being on the Prozac for 7-10 days?  At that rate, I'll be on 2 ADs for an indefinite period and that concerns me.  I'm worried that my CNS will get used to it and make it even harder to get off of either one. 

#130 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 August 2018 - 05:02 PM

The danger of being on two antidepressants at once is the risk of Serotonin Syndrome. There are two ways the drs handle this. Some drs will phase out one drug (in your case Cymbalta by around 25% a week each week for around 4 or 5 weeks time while going up on the new drug (Prozac) by around 25% of target dose every week. This is a smother process than the second method but carries a greater risk of serotonin syndrome. The second method that drs use is to stop the Cymbalta cold turkey and raise the Prozac by about 25% every week or so, This eliminates the risk of serotonin syndrome but this can also be a very rough rise. For me and most others who have cross-tapered when NOT going through withdrawal this is a fairly smooth process. However for myself and many of the others I have talked to if you are in withdrawal this is a rough ride either way. Juli's process went fairly smooth for het but I would say that is case for about 30% of the people. Now the amount a dr will increase dose or the time period between changes varies from one dr to the next. Some drop by as little as 20% while some drop as much as 1/3. And it may be 7 days between changes in dose or some even take 2 weeks between dose changes. The example I gave is sort of a typical switch over.

#131 Guest_gardenlady_*

Guest_gardenlady_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2018 - 05:07 PM

My doctor said he's been bridging people on & off ADs for years and hasn't ever seen a case of serotonin syndrome.  He said that the doses of Cymbalta & Prozac I'm on aren't a concern for it, in his opinion.  But, we all know how ignorant these doctors are re: withdrawal.  

1. With as much trouble as I've had decreasing the Cymbalta, how much should I cut after I've been on the Prozac for 7-10 days?

2. So, you don't think being on 2 ADs at once for a prolonged period can cause the brain to adjust so that it's a problem getting on off one of them?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm at a loss here as what to do.  Thank you for your continued support, fishinghat!

#132 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 August 2018 - 05:56 PM

In my experience on this site I have talked to a great many members who have cross tapered and only remember 2 or maybe 3 that experienced serotonin syndrome. It is a rare event.

1) Normally I would say 25% but in your case I would do 10%. Just an educated guess though.

2) I have seen no indication of that in the research or here on this site. I would say that going through 3 ADs is an issue. For example weaning off Cymbalta, cross tapering to Prozac and then if it doesn't help going to a third one, say Lexapro. In a few cases on this site members (including me) have had to go to 2 different ADs and still not had success. When finally on the third one success is obtained but coming of the other ones is very difficult. I was in Cymbalta withdrawal and went to Olanzipine, didn't work, then Prozac, didn't work, off Cymbalta and Olanzipine, (horrible), onto Lexapro at same time, serious side effects, then off Lexapro and onto Zoloft. This all occurred in a 5 month time frame. Although the Zoloft did help it took me and the Zoloft four months to stabilize and recover. Too many changes in quick succession is usually a big issue for recovery.

Hang in there Gardenlady, I will be back in the morning. We will work through this with everyone's help.

#133 juli

juli

Good Friend

• Site Supporter
  • 149 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 11:17 PM

when i was planning my taper I made sure not to go too slow because I did read that being on 2 ADs together for too long can cause the brain to get used to being on both.  so basically it is don't go too fast and don't go too slow.

i remember reading that you should be off the Cybalta and on the therapetic dose of the new AD in 4 to 5 weeks.  

#134 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:47 AM

"i remember reading that you should be off the Cybalta and on the therapetic dose of the new AD in 4 to 5 weeks."

I would say that is about right although some of my drs were not familiar with that. lol

"I did read that being on 2 ADs together for too long can cause the brain to get used to being on both."
I have read research on that as well but I have never read anything on them being harder to come off of.

#135 Guest_gardenlady_*

Guest_gardenlady_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2018 - 04:51 PM

I took one Prozac and then decided not to cross taper, at least until I get to a lower Cymbalta dose.  After I took the 10 mg Prozac, I panicked about thinking about cutting the Cymbalta in such large chunks as I'm able now to handle only a 2.5% reduction and I just don't think I could have managed to do more than that.  Plus, I had reservations about taking one poison to get off of another one.  I may rethink it, though, at a later date. 

So, I'm back to my glacial taper and am currently at 31.3 mg.  Thanks to Gail, fishinghat and Juli who have all been stalwart supporters to me through all of this.  You three are champions and I'm grateful to our Lord for you.  

#136 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 September 2018 - 04:57 PM

Thank you kindly gardenlady. May God keep and bless you.

Slow but steady wins the race.

#137 Guest_gardenlady_*

Guest_gardenlady_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2018 - 11:09 PM

I'm down to 29.2 mg and have started having nausea, ongoing.  I can't take dramamine all the time, so am wondering what to do about it.  It renders me housebound as I feel so awful.   Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

#138 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 October 2018 - 07:54 AM

There are a couple options but the one that seems to be most effective and easy to deal with is ginger products. A lot of pregnant women relie on ginger to help them and it is just as effective for Cymbalta related nausea. Be sure it contains real ginger and not just flavoring. Ginger ale, ginger root, ginger gum, etc.

#139 Guest_gardenlady_*

Guest_gardenlady_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2018 - 04:48 PM

Thanks, fh.  Does the nausea ever go away or will I have to deal with it from here on out till the end of the taper which will be a year or more?  I've never had it for so long a time at once.  Just wondering what others' experiences have been. Thanks for all that you do to help so many of us. 

#140 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 October 2018 - 06:26 PM

Luckily it is one of the first symptoms to fade away but it still could be quite awhile.

#141 Guest_gardenlady_*

Guest_gardenlady_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2018 - 04:54 PM

I've been having terrible feelings of doom and existential fear for a long time, now.  Is this a normal Cymbalta withdrawal symptom and will it continue on throughout the taper and into the recovery period after I'm off the drug?  I have several years of tapering and recovery ahead of me and I can't imagine living like this for that long.

I'm down to 27 mg of Cymbalta from 60 mg.  I'm tapering 2.5% a week by weighing beads and will have to slow down as I get lower so it will take a long, long time.  Most of the overt anxiety and akathisia are gone which I think was largely from the benzo withdrawal.  But the depression and doom are overwhelming.  

I take 50 mg of hydroxyzine for sleep each night.  But, it doesn't help with the depression or doom.  My doctor won't prescribe clonidine, but I don't think it would alleviate these symptoms, either, so I guess it doesn't matter. 

#142 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 October 2018 - 05:22 PM

I had serious feelings of fear and doom during my Cymbalta withdrawal. I actually slept on a pile of blankets and pillows in my wife's walk-in closet for several months. At night the fear was so bad I often screamed out in desperation. I fought this for nearly 9 months after finishing my Cymbalta. I finally gave up and went on Zoloft.

The Clonidine and hydroxyzine are both for anxiety and will bot help with the depression. It is interesting b8t during my period of doom and fear I had no depression only anxiety. It is amazing how complex and different our brains are.

The only thing I can think if is to stay at your current dosage for a few weeks and see if it gets better. Give your body a chance to recover some.

#143 juli

juli

Good Friend

• Site Supporter
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 05:30 PM

Gardenlady you shouldn't have to deal with this pain an agony for so long.  Ask your doctor to go on another anti-depressant and come off of the Cymbalta.  

#144 Guest_gardenlady_*

Guest_gardenlady_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2018 - 05:45 PM

Thanks, fishinghat and juli for your kind responses.  

I planned to cross to Prozac a few weeks ago, but chickened out as I was terrified that I'd become psychotic when reducing the Cymbalta doses by as much as 10 mg at time even though I'd have the 10 mg of Prozac to help.  I'm sensitive to even small drops and was afraid the 10 mg of Prozac wouldn't keep the psychosis at bay.  I am alone and have no one to help me through this, so am afraid of losing my mind with large Cymbalta drops.  I feel imprisoned to it since I'm too scared to cross taper although I've crossed between ADs successfully in the past, but have never run across one like Cymbalta.  

Added to this, my doctor doesn't acknowledge that AD withdrawal exists, so he's no help. 

#145 juli

juli

Good Friend

• Site Supporter
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 05:54 PM

Don't be afraid to try to go on a new anti-depressant.  You can start it and reduce the Cymbalta when and as slow as you like.  You stabilize and feel good on the prozac and then start to reduce when you feel comfortable.  I hate to think about you in so much pain when this has a very high chance to help.

If the Prozac doesn't stabilize you then you could try Zoloft or Lexapro.  

You deserve to feel good.

Can you talk to your doc about this?

#146 Guest_gardenlady_*

Guest_gardenlady_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2018 - 06:04 PM

juli, Thanks for being so sweet, patient and understanding.  I still have the Prozac prescription and could try again....there's no need to talk to my doctor about it since he already told me to do it.  I'm just so scared of losing it and being alone. 

How would I know when and if I've stabilized?  I've been in such a bad way for so long due to the benzos and Cymbalta, that I wonder how I'd know when I'd be stable enough to start cutting the Cymbalta?  My doctor, an internist, is no help...all he does is write the prescriptions and I'm thankful for that.  He said he's never run across anyone having the trouble that I do getting off benzos or ADs. 

I've felt poisoned every since crossing from Lexapro to Cymbalta in Aug 2016.  A psychiatrist made that decision (I no longer go to psychiatrists) because I was in benzo withdrawal which she didn't acknowledge, so thought changing ADs would help.  It didn't and made things worse. 

#147 juli

juli

Good Friend

• Site Supporter
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 06:10 PM

I believe when this severe depression lifts and your mood improves you will know it is working. I would try it and see.  Did the doctor give you a start up schedule?

#148 juli

juli

Good Friend

• Site Supporter
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 06:13 PM

By the way, my doctor didn't believe me either.  SHe just gave me this strange look like I was nuts.  Luckily she prescribed the Lexapro and let me manage the taper. 

#149 Guest_gardenlady_*

Guest_gardenlady_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2018 - 06:33 PM

He said to take the Prozac for a few days and then cut out the Cymbalta.  That's way too drastic, so I'm on my own to come up with a schedule. 

#150 juli

juli

Good Friend

• Site Supporter
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 09:35 PM

Got it.  I am sure that Fishinghat can help with the schedule but if it were me I would start the new AD as a first step and don't make any reductions until you are feeling yourself again.

I really believe that the reductions will be much easier once the new AD has kicked in.

Just my very humble opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users