12 replies to this topic

#1 ButterflyWings63

ButterflyWings63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:39 PM

After being down to only 1 bead a day for over 5 months, I finally quit taking Cymbalta on Dec. 22nd and haven't had any withdrawal so far.  The doctor prescribed .1 mg 2 x a day of Clonidine for withdrawal.  I've only been taking a 1/4 of that dosage each day and have been okay.

I was on Cymbalta for over 10 years, have been tapering slowly with the bead counting since 2014 and did have a couple of withdrawal episodes in the process but were pretty mild.  I'd had to be very slow in the process because of the kind of work I do and can't take off 2 weeks when withdrawal does happen.

What are the chances, do you think, that I will go into withdrawal since it's been over a week now and I haven't had any withdrawal symptoms?   So far, my spirits are good and I'm getting good sleep.

Thank you so much for all of the fantastic support this forum has provided for me.  I couldn't have done it without you!!

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:02 AM

I think you are out of the woods BW. I admire your patience. What an example for everyone else.

You may have a tough day every now and then but I wouldn't expect anything serious as slow as you went.

Please come back and let us know how everything turns out. Best wishes and God bless.

#3 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:14 PM

Hi Butterflywings,

Same thoughts here, you went real slow, and I admire that. I would say that the woods are real far for you, a real long walk(lol).

So good to hear your success story. Slow, slow and slow!

#4 ButterflyWings63

ButterflyWings63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:28 AM

Thank you, Fishinghat and Gail, for your kind remarks.  Although I did feel a little "irritable" and slightly nauseous a couple
of evenings, I increased to taking another half a Clonidine in the middle of the day which resolved that issue.

With -30 windchills overnight last night, I woke up sweating (inside temp around 62 degrees - how I like it).  I think that is

withdrawal. 

So long as it doesn't affect my focusing with my work, I can handle those minor symptoms. 

Does anyone know how long people ended up being on the Clonidine?  I'm trying to keep that out of the mix of having

to get off of in the future.  I will be seeing the doctor who prescribes that in 2 weeks and will ask her then.

Thank you for your support!!

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:37 PM

Most with anxiety try to stay on clonidine, buspar and hydroxyzine (no withdrawal) and try to avoid ssri, snri and benzos. Some who have moderate anxiety can slowly wean of the antidepressants and benzos and if they can handle that then they work their way off of what other medicines they are on.

What that just me or was that as clear as mud?  lol

#6 ButterflyWings63

ButterflyWings63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:29 PM

What's been interesting, Fishinghat, is that I have not been anxious at all.  In fact, my daily attitude has been very upbeat.  We had added Zoloft to the mix
before I completely understood that it's the norepinephrine that was causing the withdrawal.  I'd been on Zoloft a long time ago so I know going off of that
will not be an issue.
I've also been on Ambien but have only been taking 1/4 of a tablet for two months and will slowly taper that once I've gotten through a couple of months
off of Cymbalta without repurcussions.

Other than that, I will be down to Tramadol for the chronic pain I have and Tizanidine for a muscle relaxer.  Not too bad.

Thanks again for your input.

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:08 AM

Sounds like a great plan!!

#8 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:40 AM

Hi Butterflywing,

Now now, it's Sunday, and you have not felt anxiety? Abnormal (lol)!

Get on your knees and scream Thank You to ever you want to, a blessing. Rare, as most or all members experience it.

But, all things considered, butterflies are not prone to that! With love, Gail

#9 ButterflyWings63

ButterflyWings63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:17 PM

Yes, Gail, I completely agree.  No, no anxiousness.
But yesterday, after fighting with three laptop problems and finally losing patients, I did feel extremely frustrated.

I simply felt agitated - but not anxious.  Yes, I'm very thankful for the mild symptoms.  So long as it doesn't affect
my work, I can deal with those symptoms.

Withdrawal for me feels like a mild sinus infection.  Haven't had any headaches but have noticed my eyes burning.
I'm going to up another half dose of the Clonidine this afternoon.  I'm so thankful the Clonidine has not made me
drowsy!!

So I'm nearly a month out now from the last dose of Cymbalta and am feeling some very mild withdrawal symptoms.

I'm simply trying to be patient with myself and allow myself to get as much sleep as I need.

Any idea how long I will need to stay on the Clonidine through this process?
And, yes, my inner spirit is pretty well grounded. :)

Thank you so much for your support and insight!!

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:56 PM

Just relax and let your body tell you when you are ready to come off the clonidine. You will know when you are ready but I would say you m ight be totally off within 2 months. Just an educated guess you understand.  lol

#11 ButterflyWings63

ButterflyWings63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:01 PM

Sounds good.  Thank you for the guided timeline. 

#12 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:35 AM

Hello Butterfly,

Thank you for the update. You're doing great. Please remind me the time you took to withdraw. Taking notes here. Thanks Sweet butterfly!

#13 ButterflyWings63

ButterflyWings63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 03:20 PM

Gail,

I'd been on the drug for over 10 years.  Tried to do a self-taper in January 2013 before I knew about the withdrawal complications.  It took me about a month of feeling like it was a bad sinus infection and couldn't focus at all to do my job to finally figure out it was withdrawal.  I was also seeing doctors and they simply denoted me as being irrational.  Major sign of withdrawal!!

So although I increased back to my 60 mg. dosage a day, it still took two more months for the withdrawal symptoms to finally go away.

I was going through a personally challenging time during that time so I didn't even think about trying another taper for another year.  By then, I'd started looking
into the drug complications and found the lawsuit for those who had been able to get off the drug.  I didn't qualify because I couldn't get off the drug
because of the withdrawal side effects.
I think it was in February/March of 2015 when I started the two-bead-a-day taper.  In June, the pharmacy switched brands on me which caused problems.
I think I had to drop to a 1-bead a day taper to get leveled out. 
I can't tell exactly tell by all of my notes although I had all of the days/months denoted in a notebook when I continued tapering until I would start going through
withdrawal which typically lasts two weeks for me.  So I'd have to jump back up to a higher amount for a month to level out and then start up again. 
I'm pretty sure I still went through at least two more withdrawal episodes with the 2-bead-a-day taper but kept at it. 

During 2016, I had to maintain levels to avoid withdrawals around my son's wedding and then hit the same issue this past summer (2017) for my
daughter's wedding.  July 2017, I was down to 1 bead a day.  I decided to simply keep it at that until Christmas 2017 when I could have two weeks
to go through withdrawal if that would happen.
Had to switch nurse practitioners to be allowed to use Clonidine to minimize the withdrawal.  I don't like Clonidine because it does make you a little
sleepy and dries your mouth out. 
The first two weeks off the Cymbalta, I had no withdrawal symptoms at all.  Yeah!!  But after that, I noticed my eyes burning later in the day, feeling tired
and getting irritable dealing with some work stuff.  I also started feeling slightly nauseous after dinner (6 - 7 p.m.).  I've simply added a little more Clonidine
in the afternoon but it's making me sleepy.
Today, I'm going to only take 1/2 tablet of Clonidine early afternoon and another 1/2 tablet early evening to see if that makes a difference.
But I can't complain too much since I'm still able to do most of my work and don't feel anxious at all.

Oh, no headaches but have felt like I've got a vice squeezing my head later in the day.

All in all, it's taking me three years to taper off the drug.  For me, I think it's because I've been on it for so long.

Hope this helps a little.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users