5 replies to this topic

#1 Wes0711

Wes0711

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:33 PM

Hello,

I have been on dulextine since the fall of 2012, so over 5 years. I tried to come off of it in 2014, but did not succeed. I may need to go onto another drug, and I'm not sure how to do that.

I talked to my doctor in November about coming off of it- 2 months ago. I had been on 30 mg for several years, but when I got a physical in June, the PA (who did not know me) recommended I raise my dose due to panic attacks. They wanted to double my dose to 60 mg... I did not want that, because I am afraid of weight gain. My doctor (NOT the PA), agreed to prescribe me 2 20 mg pills a day instead of 60 mg. 

Sooooo. In the past 6+ months, I have put on 10-15 lbs. I knew that was going to happen, but I really hoped it wouldn't.... AND i have seen no change in my panic episodes. I have gained 35 lbs since 2012... I was able to lose 15 in 2014, but I gained it back. I know that they say cymbals has less risk for weight gain. But I raised my dose, and I was working outside, walking all over during the summer, and eating relatively healthily... and I gained weight. It makes no sense! I am 29 years old, and I was thin my entire childhood. I didn't even gain the Freshman 15 in college.

So, basically I just want off this drug.

I've stayed on it because I don't have other major side effects like I had with others- zoloft gave me insane night sweats, lexapro ruined my sex life, effexor gave me migraines, celexa made me gain weight as well. I can have a normal sex life on cymbals, and it controls my depression. So I stay on it, even with my weight increasing over the years...

I tried to come off of 30 mg in fall of 2014. After 2 years on it, and I was about 165 lbs at this point. (I was 138 or so before I began Cymbalta). I had a schedule written by a doc that didn't involve removing beads, but it was a good schedule, very slow.. like, 2 months, I believe. But after a while, I started to feel depressed again, so I called the doctor, and he recommended I go back on it. So I went back on the drug. I was able to lose weight then, I got down to 145 before I started gaining it back. But this time, I'm 178, (I was 170 in September), and I can't lose ANYTHING. At least my gaining stabilized. 

My new general doctor told me to take 20 mg, (so go from 40 to 20 immediately), for 7-10 days, then every other day for 7-10 days, and then stop.

I took 20 Tuesday night (2 days ago). I felt fine most of Wednesday. By dinnertime, I was feeling off... I started to get the "brain zaps" and dizziness, headache, nausea. By night I was pretty uncomfortable. I took 20 mg again and went to sleep. At 1:30 am, I woke up with my ears ringing, intense brain zaps every time I even moved my head, and excruciating nausea and dizziness. I caved and took the other 20 mg pill. I feel fine now. BUT I WANT OFF THIS DRUG.

I know I can't go down 20 mg overnight and function. I know about the withdrawal already because Effexor gave me HORRID withdrawal if I missed a dose by like an hour. If I took my meds everyday at 10pm, and I went to a movie with plans to take it when I got home, at 11 pm in the movie I would feel like I was literally going to die. I have tried to come off cymbalta before, maybe cold turkey for a day or two, and it's unbearable. 

Please Help.

Thank you.

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:38 PM

Welcome Wes

I don't know why the one dr wanted you to go back up to 40 mg because of panic attacks? That is just a withdrawal symptom. from dropping down to 20 mg.

"My new general doctor told me to take 20 mg, (so go from 40 to 20 immediately), for 7-10 days, then every other day for 7-10 days, and then stop."

Man, you  have had some bad drs. Every other day. FDA advises against that as Cymbalta has a 12 hour half life so by skipping days you just boost your blood levels up one day and they crash the next, You wind up repeating the withdrawal over and over.

The recommended method is called bead counting, If you open a capsule you will find a lot of tiny beads inside (usually around 300 but it depends on manufacturer). So lets say that there is 300 beads in your capsule each day you remove 1% (3 beads). The next day you would remove 6 beads and then 9 beads etc. This provides for a slow controlled withdrawal. If at any time things get too bad you can just hold at that level until you feel better or you can even go back up a little until you stabilize and then start dropping again. Now the 1% drop per day is a good starting point. Some drop slower than that and some can drop faster. Obviously the slower you drop the les withdrawal symptoms. Lately many have taken 6 months to a year to totally come off with only moderate withdrawal.

You can do this. Time and patience. Please keep us posted and feel free to ask any questions or just come back to complain about how bad you feel. We are here for you.

#3 Dtchgrl

Dtchgrl

Advanced Member

• Site Supporter
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:40 AM

I have heard multiple times that Prozac can help with the withdrawal symptoms. 

Im struggling a bit at the moment myself with coming of the cymbalta, so have been reading about the options :-) 

Good luck,

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:48 AM

Hi Dutchgirl

Prozac, Zoloft or Lexapro are all good options. Take as small a dose as possible to get relief and keep your medicine intake to a minimum.

You might also consider using some of your remaining Cymbalta. Some people take just a few beads, enough to bring some relief. With time you need less and less.

Come back and let us know how you are doing. We are here is you need us.

#5 Dtchgrl

Dtchgrl

Advanced Member

• Site Supporter
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:42 PM

Yeah not sure if I want to go back, because I’m almost out of the zaps.... but some relief would be nice. Maybe some beads yes. Hope I didn’t throw out all my capsules...

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 January 2018 - 05:53 PM

If you have a good relationship with your dr you might ask for some hydroxyzine and/or clonidine to help with the symptoms. They can be very helpful and have no withdrawal. They only take about an hour to kick in as well.

What ever way you go you will be alright. Try to get plenty of rest is you can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users